D.C. United, MLS Salaries

A few updates since the initial player salary list was unveiled:

For D.C. United.....

D Dejan Jakovic: $90,000 base/$109,000 guaranteed
F Ange N'Silu: $65,000/$76,000
GK Josh Wicks: $42,000/$42,000
D Anthony Peters: $34,000/$34,000
MF Brandon Barklage, GK Milos Kocic and MF John DiRaimondo are developmentals at $20,100.

Elsewhere.....

Dallas MF David Ferreira: $300,000/$300,000
Los Angeles D Tony Sanneh: $84,000/$85,000

By Steve Goff  |  April 1, 2009; 11:52 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Asian Qualifiers, Gooch, USA Yellows
Next: Gold Cup, World Cup, FC N.Y.

Comments

That's a lot of dough for Ferreira... hope he does Dallas some good. They could use it - can't count on Cooper scoring from 60 m very often.

Posted by: Modibo | April 1, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Jakovic's making that much? Here's hoping he improves his play over the next couple weeks to justify that amount...

Posted by: Juan-John | April 1, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

what's wrong with Jakovic? I haven't seen him play.. just a Canadian national team fan wondering how he's doing.

Posted by: hendrix | April 1, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

So far, the only real problem I've seen with Jakovic is that he's young.

Last time I saw these numbers, Peters I believe was at $34,008 - what happened to the $8 ;-)

Tony Sanneh is making some change - what's that work out to, like $2,500 for each jersey tug as someone runs by him?

Posted by: dcufan | April 1, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

He let opposing players get past him twice during last Saturday's game, one of which resulted in a goal.

Posted by: Juan-John | April 1, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

That's what Kocic was holding out for?

Posted by: Reignking | April 1, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Jakovic has struggled -- didn't look good in Charleston. Hasn't looked very solid in his 2 league matches. He is young -- he should get better -- but that wage seems out of line with what he brings to the team, in comparison to others.

Posted by: fischy | April 1, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I'd say DCU is paying Wicks about what he's worth at this time.

Jakovic must have a great agent to get this salary, considering his (lack of) experience at this level and his play the past few weeks. We're paying for his potential, I guess.

Posted by: DrBeaker | April 1, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I think Jakovic has shown promise, and I remain optimistic. Wicks' error last Saturday was shocking; any competent GK in the nets and Jakovic is authoring a shutout in his first start as a CB in a 3 man backline.

Posted by: JkR- | April 1, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

How long is Jakovic's contract? While his play has been a little erratic so far, it seems pretty clear that he has lots of upside. Here's hoping we're keeping him around for a little while.

Posted by: iammrben1 | April 1, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Jakovic's pay shows you what even a brief encounter with a Euro club can do for you. Even if you ride pine, your base pay is so much higher than MLS that 90-100k might seem insulting. No wonder so many draft picks go overseas. It almost doesn't matter how much you play there; when you return to MLS you've leapfrogged the miserable 20k developmental phase and are nearly even with MLS vets who are not superstars.

Posted by: b18bolo | April 1, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 1, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I would suggest it's because of experience, and what the market is willing pay for it's perceived value. And it makes sense to me.

A year at Red Star in whatever capacity, is going to be perceived as better than a year at West Virginia Wesleyan, as an example.

Posted by: JkR- | April 1, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Jakovic coughed up the ball late against Chicago, which should have led to a goal, but other than that he was very solid at sweeper in his first start. He's much better on the ball and around the pitch than the team's other CDs.

Pedigree does play a role in salary, but be realistic: If you play in Pittsburgh, you'll take a possible pay cut to move to DC. If you play in Belgrade, not so much.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 1, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Poopster-

I was actually the individual captured that entertaining photo. I was impressed with the creativity you displayed. Yet a bit confused by the fact that you wanted in line for about 30 minutes to chat with good ol' Landon. But hey I would have also wanted to chat with the guy who stole 2 pts from you.

Cheers-

Posted by: stuartwainstock | March 31, 2009 11:17 PM

Thanks for taking the snap shot. Probably my 2nd favorite photo from that day. The first (taken by my gf) being when I was standing, facing the camera with my back towards a whole section of Galaxy Fans. Not only do I have the best smile on my face but the reactions from all the Galaxy fans to the Landon photo on the back of my jersey is priceless. A good amount of double one-fingered salutes appear in the photo.

Back to how I got to waiting for Landon. After the match we were all waiting for DCU players to come over (only a small handfull did) but while waiting a decent amount of Galaxy players came over to the next section to sign autographs for their fans. Every time one would come over I'd turn around and show 'em the back of my jersey bring alot of smiles and laughs from Landon's own teammates.

Finally when Dema came over to us I told him he had to joke Landon for the photo, he said he couldn't do that but he did point out that Landon was over signing autographs and I should go over and show him myself. So I did. In all honesty, it didn't seem like I waited a 1/2 hour, maybe only like 10 mins or so. But I had some time to kill (still had a beer I was gonna finish before exiting the stadium). So I wandered over and got in the line. When he saw me he initally bypassed me (because of my black and red colors) but when I turned around and showed him the photo, that was all the reason I needed to wait in line to see him. The look on his face and in his eyes was fantastic. He actually ended up coming back and signing the photo (maybe it'll end up on ebay).

Originally I was gonna write the "seriously?" part in the rainbow colors but decided to go with the black and red colors at the last minute.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 1, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

DC United fans,

Check out the latest stadium news. Not good.

Posted by: blackandred777 | April 1, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse