DCU-Real Madrid Update

The Insider has learned that negotiations concerning a D.C. United friendly against superpower Real Madrid on Aug. 8 are progressing nicely, but instead of RFK Stadium, the likely venue would be FedEx Field to maximize attendance. Real is also planning to play a second game while in the States, a few days later against an MLS opponent.

By Steve Goff  |  April 14, 2009; 1:56 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Spain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Olsen's Absence
Next: A Few Minutes With Tom Soehn

Comments

I am wondering if the other MLS opponent would be Real Salt Lake? Don't they have one of those heralded partnerships?

Posted by: bstanton20 | April 14, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Why not try to get them for the All-Star game? When is this DCU friendly?

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | April 14, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Dang it, that means the rats won't be around to scare 'em...

Posted by: Juan-John | April 14, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I meant to ask when is the all-star game

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | April 14, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Not fedex, Didn't the Chelsea exhibition match only have about 35,000? This won't be any different.

Posted by: decoi | April 14, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I guess Qwest Field is not available this time.

Posted by: CDRHoek | April 14, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Boooo, inferior atmosphere...hopefully the supporters can take their customary positions in FedEx (fat chance)

Posted by: the_slammer | April 14, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Cuzcatlan - the All-Star game is July 29. Maybe Real Madrid doesn't want to come to the U.S. that early in the pre-season.

Ren Hoek: You eeeeediot! Seattle has it's own MLS team now - they don't need a visit from the illustrious D.C. United. :-)

Posted by: SSMD1 | April 14, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I've never been to FedEx, do the seats shake?

Vamos United!

Posted by: wmsiii | April 14, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

FedEx Field, in order to say "Hey Prince George's County! Look at all the soccer fans who could spend money here on a regular basis if there were a soccer stadium."

It's all politricks.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 14, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Who had the briliant idea to stick this match at FedEx? They should be fired asap.

Posted by: Hoost | April 14, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Schtooops! I thought I already made it clear I will never spend a cent in PG county! I guess I'll just watch on the tele...

Posted by: DadRyan | April 14, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

It's all politricks.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 14, 2009 2:49 PM

Yip

Posted by: Kev29 | April 14, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

FedEx had pretty good atmosphere for the Chelsea game. Hopefully we can replicate that or improve on it this summer.

One good thing about that game was that parking was free (an even steeper expense at FedEx than RFK). I would guess that Real Madrid might bring in more support than Chelsea although they were pretty healthy in their representation.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 14, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I don't know. Seems like RM without a certain Englishman on the team isn't likely to be such a huge draw in the USA. I would imagine that all of those Eurosnobs who think the EPL is the pinnacle of football are greater in number than those who think the same about Spain. They should just put it at RFK. I thought the field at FedEx wasn't really big enough for top flight football.

Posted by: fedssocr | April 14, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 14, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hoost

The people who want to make more money?

Posted by: Reignking | April 14, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

The people who want to make more money?

Posted by: Reignking | April 14, 2009 4:50 PM

Let's not forget the Real Madrid input here. Maybe they learned what the conditions are like at RFK (locker rooms, etc) and wanted a stadium *not* in a state of disrepair.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 14, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fedssocr | April 14, 2009 4:30 PM

Your complex is showing

Posted by: Kev29 | April 14, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully we'll soon find out whether Chelsea or Real Madrid would draw more fans for a summertime pre-season friendly against DC United at Fed Ex Field.

Among Spanish speaking soccer fans (there happen to be a few in this area) not many teams have greater reputations than Real Madrid.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 14, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I disagree with you fedssocr. Eurosnobs have a favourite club in each Euro league in order to demonstrate their comprehensive knowledge of proper European football through a vast wardrobe of replicas.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 14, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I can understand why Real would want FedEx -- and for DCU it's big middle finger salute to the PG County Council. I can't make the May 2 rally for a DC stadium, but I look forward to 'displaying' my feelings to the PG politicians in August.

Posted by: fischy | April 14, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Man, part of my draw to this was seeing RFK in action.

Hmm, seriously gonna be a point on the "cons" when the time comes to make my list.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 14, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Going back to what CACuzcatlan was asking: Why can't MLS schedule Real Madrid for the all-star game? Surely the league can shuffle two weeks around in the schedule.

DCU can still be the 2nd team in Real Madrid 2 team US tour.

Posted by: dukestreetkid | April 14, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Since Chelsea didn't draw more than RFK hold, I think this friendly is being held at FedEx just to show DC fans will stick with the team even if it's forced to relocate to the suburbs. It will be a sign to PG county, the rest of Maryland, and Virginia that DCU is a viable outside the city. Build a stadium, and the fans will come.

Posted by: muskratinator | April 15, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Real Madrid is a much bigger draw than Chelsea.

Chelsea doesn't have a big fan base in America; Real's, particularly in the Latin community, is huge.

Posted by: Steve Goff | April 15, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

In fact, most of us hate chelsea. We don't want them come here.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 15, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse