Dynamo Assistant Apologizes

Saying his comments were "inappropriate and unprofessional," Houston goalkeepers coach Tim Hanley has apologized for a column he penned on an independent Web site last week. If he were not a team employee, Hanley's critical remarks about D.C. United's investors and players wouldn't have caused a stir -- fair game on the trusty Internet machine. But this is not the XFL, and according to sources, the Dynamo front office was both embarrassed and furious about the column, prompting the apology.

Thoughts?

Meantime, I am awaiting word on United's roster move that will open a slot for veteran defender Avery John. Doe? Khumalo? We'll see.....

By Steve Goff  |  April 23, 2009; 1:00 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday Kickaround
Next: USA World Cup Venue Update

Comments

I'm pretty sure that apology is from a MS Word template.

Posted by: sitruc | April 23, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

A Word template (probably) wouldn't have subject/verb agreement issues.

"Comments I made was inappropriate."

They sure was, Tim. They sure was.

Posted by: uac1530 | April 23, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Avery John: Meeting the Hanley standard of a DC player who could play for New England.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 23, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Well we all took him to task on that blog and he was rather quick to defend himself. This apology was clearly forced out of him against his will. But the reaction from the team is exactly right. If he were a journalist, there's no problem. But as a Dynamo employee, the column was unprofessional and inappropriate. Glad to see his employer agrees.

Posted by: AtlantaMLS | April 23, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

XFL style jerseys for the MLS....I smell a photoshop

Posted by: addick | April 23, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Avery "He Hate Me" John...Bad move...

Posted by: alan19 | April 23, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to go on the record in saying that I don't like this signing of Avery John. Hope he proves me wrong.

Posted by: AtlantaMLS | April 23, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I feel like Hanley should be apologizing to Houston's fans for apparently having little to no knowledge of recent Dynamo opponents (despite being on the coaching staff). The idea that only Emilio and Gomez could start in New England (who, with a fully fit squad, would still start bums like Badilla, Tierney, and Thompson, as well as possibly starting non-scoring striker Mansally) is laughable.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 23, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I thought Khumalo showed well in the game yesterday. I would keep him over Doe.

Goff, any word on why they are so interested in John? I think the defense is looking much better this year, and it seems to me we have five solid options back there without counting Peters (Namoff, Janicki, Jackovich, Burch, McTavish). I think Burch in particular has stepped up his defensive game from last year, and is doing a better job staying home when he needs to.

Speaking of Peters, why do we think the FO is getting rid of a forward to make room for John, rather than another defender?

Posted by: regularfan | April 23, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Re: Peters -- you can't coach size and height -- he's a project keeper.

Re: Burch -- uh, we disagree on his "solidity" as a left back in a 3-5-2.

Posted by: griffin1108 | April 23, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Avery John > Mark Burch.

If it's true that we have "five solid options back there" and one player gets hurt, shall we proceed with no options to substitute? It never hurts to have depth on the roster and if someone is taking up a senior roster space and isn't good enough to sniff the field, why keep him on?

Posted by: DWE4 | April 23, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Note this line from the apology:

"Seems I was still wearing last year’s hat when writing that pre-match analysis and should have known better."

So, is he apologizing for saying this year's team is no good, but if he wrote the column last year, he would stand by what he said? (Actually, I might agree with him about last year's squad.)

Posted by: griffin1108 | April 23, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

My favorite part of this whole storyline is that Fred made Hanley eat his words 20' into the first half.

Posted by: dcbird | April 23, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

griffin1108,

Last year, Hanley was merely a hack soccer blogger. Then his comments would fine, if inaccurate, speculative, and lousy. But this year, he got his old job back at filling Onstad's water bottle, so his comments are professionally inappropriate, inaccurate, speculative, and lousy.

Posted by: kolbkl | April 23, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree that John, while no all star, is a better fit on the left of a back three than Burch (who really belongs in a 442). Burch's defending has been fairly reliable this year, but his play on the ball has put us in way too many bad spots. His distribution has also been off. We can get fairly reliable defending out of John without the turnovers, which makes it a reasonable move in my book.

This move also tells me that going back to a 442 just isn't happening any time soon. John wouldn't start for us in a back four (on the left, he'd be behind Burch and Wallace, while in the middle he'd be fighting with Peters for 4th string), and I don't think we'd be cutting someone decent to make room for him unless we're committed to a formation that fits him for the long haul. I will say that the team is playing better than I had expected out of the 3412.

As for cutting an attacker rather than a defender, we still aren't all that deep in the back. Meanwhile, it's hard to see where Doe or Khumalo will get a game when everyone's healthy. Khumalo is at best our 5th choice right midfielder, and would be 4th (possibly 5th, if you count Gomez) in line as a 2nd forward. Doe, meanwhile, would also be 4th if he was being used as the 2nd forward, and leading the line would leave him behind Emilio and, apparently, N'Silu. That's not to mention the fact that Moreno and Quaranta have both played that role fairly well in the past (since they have the size and dribbling skill to hold the ball).

I like both players, but neither one is essential. If Khumalo went 90 minutes last night while an apparently healthy Doe was not even dressing, I feel like the writing is on the wall.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 23, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Sure, the guy doesn't apparently get the responsibility he has as a team official, so that was pretty stupid.

But no one seems to want to address his comments about DC's owners. If they are doing what he says, then good for him calling them on it. It's not like they have done anything at all good for the team yet. No stadium. No direction. And, apparently, no idea what they are doing.

Oh, but wait, don't criticize them or they may take the team to another city....

Posted by: hacksaw | April 23, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I say cut Doe loose. I swear, I think he earns a bonus for every offside called on him.

Posted by: jburksva | April 23, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

The only people who should be allowed to criticize United are it's own fans and the local politicians. Criticism from anyone else is offensive and if it continues I might be forced to break out the big guns and give Tim Hanley a withering stare. Don't make me do it!

Posted by: sobugged1 | April 23, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Further "kremlinologist" hint: the pregame video features a goal by Boyzz and no mention is made of Doe.

Posted by: griffin1108 | April 23, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm actually surprised Houston is still allowing Hanley to blog at all. What a ma-roon, you all work for the same company dopey! (and in this league you never know where your next job will be but you've knocked DC off the list!!)

K

Posted by: goaldigger | April 23, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

The new president of Philly MLS was the Vp and GM of the XFL's Orlano Rage so there are already rumblings of He Hate Me jerseys being made available next year for them.

Posted by: PhillyMLS | April 23, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

If my former goalkeeping "students" included Zach Wells and Tony Caig, I'd whistle and slowly back away from the spotlight.

Posted by: BelovedCartoonMouse | April 23, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I think the league needs some controversy, just as it needs strong rivalries. Blanco adds controversy, just as much as he adds goals and assists.

Sure, Hanley's blog was unprofessional and disreaspectful, but I love the entertainment value in it.

And reading that blog entry makes me feel like I'm an MLS insider because I know how the Dynamo feel about DC United and I also know about DC United's ownership and how they're looking over Soehn's shoulder. Wouldn't have known that without reading his blog entry.

Posted by: billindmd | April 23, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

What happened to Goff's picture on the blog? Who is that in his place?

Posted by: billindmd | April 23, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Hanley was just trying to be opinionated and entertaining and probably was to people who don't know much about and/or don't care about DCU. No big deal really. Saying things like Fred only kicks people isn't being serious and I didn't take it as a serious attempt at writing.

That said, not understanding that he is now an MLS employee was sloppy and stupid. Why would you be so critical of MLS ownership? He deserves whatever he gets - not for being offensive, but for being a dumbass.

Posted by: mddeblois | April 23, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

lol billindmd

Posted by: alan19 | April 23, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm not certain whether Hanley should apologize for his characterization of DC's ownership pressuring their coaching staff, or for his failed analysis of DC's draft itself (taking GK Stefan Frei over MF/D Rodney Wallace would have been a stupid choice), or for his thin and somewhat dated analysis of DC's team in facing NE. In fact, his apology is so nebulous, he could have been sorry for any or all of those things.

The moral of the story is: current league employees (whether players, coaches or whatnot) probably should not blog.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | April 24, 2009 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PhillyMLS | April 23, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------------------

Really? I thought Rod "He Hate Me" Smart played for the Vegas team. The MLS Philly team would have access to those rights?

Posted by: Josh8 | April 24, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse