Edu, Johnson Score; Beasley Hurt

A big day for Americans abroad:

Former University of Maryland midfielder Maurice Edu scored on a header during Rangers' 2-1 victory at St. Mirren. He played all 90 minutes.

However, USA teammate DaMarcus Beasley was taken to the hospital with a rib injury suffered after 15 minutes. Former New England Revs midfielder Andy Dorman scored for St. Mirren.

American forward Eddie Johnson's goal capped Cardiff City's 4-1 victory over Derby County, securing a Championship playoff berth. Johnson, who played 25 minutes, also had an own goal at the end.

In Copa Libertadores, defender Michael Orozco was not in the 18 for San Luis' 2-0 victory over San Lorenzo.

By Steve Goff  |  April 8, 2009; 9:12 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: T&T Coaching Change
Next: Banner Day for Lopez

Comments

Quick correction: according to the linked match report it was a different Johnson who had the OG

Posted by: timad26 | April 8, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Actually, the match report seems confused, in the summary part at the top assigns the OG to Roger Johnson, but to Eddie Johnson down in the "chronological" part, weird. So I guess I'm correcting my correction.

Posted by: timad26 | April 8, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Way to go, Edu! He's not going to get many chances when the two starting center midfielders decide to take a two week vacation.

Johnson... keep scoring, we'll keep you posted.

Beasley: This is why he can't be our number one; he can't stay confident, can't stay healthy. We need to start training replacements Now. Robbie Rogers, Freddy Adu, maybe even Alvarez. Cuz if it happens during/right before the world cup, we can't be like, oh, how unexpected.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 8, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Andy Dorman scored St. Mirren's goal, interestingly enough.

If my understanding of Bradley's policy towards Johnson (as opposed to all other players) is correct, scoring a goal as a sub means he is now captain for life, and Bradley will begin tithing to him.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 8, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

And shoot, I remember Dorman. Hated playing that guy.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 8, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Where does Beasley play on the field?

Posted by: sitruc | April 8, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Beasley suffer a nasty looking injury in a game several weeks ago? I don't think anything came of it but apparently the crowd went silent when it happened, I remember reading.

Posted by: carmines757 | April 8, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I looked up the attendance for that game, and did a double-take when I saw it was only 6,231.

But then I found out that St Mirren's home stadium's capacity is 8000, so it looks like they had pretty-close-to-a-full-house.

Posted by: Juan-John | April 8, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Beasley was badly fouled earlier this year -- the other player got a straight red for it. Cleats into Beas' shin. Could've been worse, if Beas' leg had been planted, but he pulled it up in time. Did have to go to hospital then, too.

He's a slight laddie. And, he doesn't even use his speed to great advantage. I like him, but he's not world-class. Still he does combine well with Donovan, and that has to count for something.

We're not counting Dorman as an American Abroad, are we?

Edu's got a ways to go, but he's got the raw physical ability. I think he'll be a regular, in time -- though, maybe not soon enough for Bob Bradley.

Posted by: fischy | April 8, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Robbie Rogers? Seriously? I know he's cute and all but come on, he sucks. Unreliable and soft... 2010? Replacement for Beasley? Pass.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 8, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Agree with DadRyan. Robbie Rogers is not international caliber. Keep Donovan at left wing and put spector in at left back and hope you can keep Beasley healthy enough to sub for either position.

Posted by: Beckster1 | April 9, 2009 7:03 AM | Report abuse

Surprised about Chest's comment re EJ b/c he is usually thoughtful. Yes,EJ disappointed in recent 2 years but he has better on-ball skills than ANY US forward.(Remember,a South American coach wanted him alone of all US players) Give him a chance to grow up now that he has a child and is settling in.
Re DMB: He is as good as someone his size can be and he has maximized his assets into a career abroad:good for him.BUT,he can NEVER play in the WC because it is too easy to bump him off the ball. Just b/c he grew up with LD and harmonizes well is no longer sufficient to play him now.
I,for one, wish to see more of our TexMex at left MF.

Posted by: bechtoldpk | April 9, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

bechtoldpk: At first I thought that you were sort of being sarcastic about DMB NEVER being able to play in the WC (I'm going to assume that you were referring to World Cup)...

Dude looked great in 2002 and while 2006 wasn't what we had hoped I am definitely not ready to write him off.

I'm all for seeing more of Torres but let's not sign off on DMB's NT death cert just yet, playah...

Posted by: yankiboy | April 9, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Where does Beasley play on the field?
Posted by: sitruc | April 8, 2009 9:48 PM
==============

Often flat on the turf.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 9, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

yankiboy: my comment was in praise of DMB who got the most out of what he has been given. At this point his former high acceleration is no longer there,and I fear that he plays tentatively, understandably b/c of his frequent injuries. I really fear what someone like Essien of ghana or Lampard or
Rossi or Ballack will do to him,i.e.take him out hard in the first 5 minutes and he(and we) is finished. We need someone more robust,and any NT has to produce at least 4-5 acceptable wide players.

Posted by: bechtoldpk | April 9, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse