Everton to All-Star Game?

After negotiating with Valencia and Villarreal, MLS now appears to be eyeing Everton for the All-Star Game in Salt Lake City this summer. Featuring New Jersey's own Tim Howard in goal, Everton is currently sixth in the English Premiership and headed for the FA Cup final after upsetting Manchester United this week. Hopefully I will have more details to share later today.

By Steve Goff  |  April 23, 2009; 9:48 AM ET
Categories:  England , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: D.C. United's Victory
Next: Thursday Kickaround

Comments

The Toffees? Sweet.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 23, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

It won't work.

They are in the same position that Villarreal and Valencia are in -- there's a chance they'll have a Europa League game that day.

Posted by: Reignking | April 23, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

There are very few European teams that can draw MLS-size crowds in the US.

Posted by: sitruc | April 23, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

There are very few European teams that can draw MLS-size crowds in the US.

Posted by: sitruc | April 23, 2009 10:15 AM

Thanks, Sitruc. Now I have to find a paper towel to get the tea off my computer screen.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | April 23, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

The symbolism would be great -- Howard the second American to play in the FA Cup final, coming back to his roots. Good stuff. Plus, I think the MLS could take 'em...

Posted by: fischy | April 23, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

And hoist a giant trophy at the end of the game for the TV cameras!

(is it inscribed "MLS All-Star Game/Inter-Squad Friendly/Meaningless Exhibition Champion"?)

(Evertone would be cool... but no trophy hoisting please!)

Posted by: Mixter | April 23, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Is Atletico Madrid still a possibility or has MLS completely moved on?

Posted by: muskratinator | April 23, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

For all the pro/con of the All-Star game - it's increasingly apparent that the only potential matchups that interest people involve The English Big 4, Real Madrid, Barcelona, The Milan's, Juventus, Bayern Munich, maybe Roma.

I'm not about to bag this exhibition just yet - I still get amusement from it. But I'll tune out entirely if it's ever East vs West again.

The summer scheduling makes it tough, however. Pre-season for UEFA clubs and qualifying issues for Champions League/Europa League.

Still - anyone have any info on how the MLS/Bundesliga relationship is working? Hertha Berlin coming over? Werder Bremen? Hamburg? Wolfsburg? HOFFENHEIM (and can they drop off their stadium design plans to the DC gov't overlayed at Poplar Point?)

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 23, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

This may be good news for some, but as an RSL fan this is BAD news. Everton came to Salt Lake City 2 years ago, why do I want to see them again? MLS may want this, but I can promise you the RSL front office does not.

Posted by: utePhan | April 23, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I would be happy with Everton, considering that MLS has and to the best of my knowledge still pushing for a Mexican team. Everton drew well despite horrible marketing, and even worse merchandising.

I actually thought about them today as I posted my update on potential foes for the MLS match. The door is closing as we are just 97 days from the match, it still seems like it would be a no-brainer to get Barcelona who has such a tight relationship with MLS.

Posted by: f4denz | April 23, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

everton would be great. they are up and coming and have both nice veteran talent and young guns.. Saha, Cahill, Neville, Lescott, Yobo, Howard, Yakubu, Jo, Jagielka, Gosling, Rodwell and Baines to name a few.

don't forget the Moyesiah too...

Posted by: heightofhypocrisy | April 25, 2009 12:45 AM | Report abuse