Freedom Player Juggles Careers

It's been a while since I've posted on this blog, but hopefully I'll be back around a lot more now that the Freedom season is underway.....

Check out my story on local product Joanna Lohman, a Freedom midfielder-defender who is balancing her soccer career with another successful venture.

The story will appear in tomorrow's paper, but it's up already online so enjoy.

I'll post a pre-game blog tomorrow from Maryland SoccerPlex, but until then, feel free to chat here about Freedom -- or whatever else.

And if you're bored, try shaking up the Virginia prep soccer rankings. Girls ranks are here.

By Paul Tenorio  |  April 10, 2009; 11:45 AM ET
Categories:  Freedom , Preps , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Open Forum
Next: Weekend TV Listings

Comments

Nice to have you back Paul. Just don't mention the "S" word (stadiu....)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 10, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

You need to update the links on the boys' soccer rankings (Woodbridge, etc).

Posted by: Reignking | April 10, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Interesting story, thanks.

I sure hope that the Freedom don't play so freaking awful as they did against LA in the inaugural game. They looked dreadful except for Wambach and Bompastor.

That was a wretched performance for such a big stage.

I expect better.

Posted by: yankiboy | April 10, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Perkins Saves & Loans v2.0

Posted by: Colm1 | April 10, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Yo, Paul great job. Great story. Hope some fathers and mothers let their daughters read it. It's very uplifting and inspirational.

Talk about role model. How many pro men are out there grinding it out in the business world while playing ball? Save the misogynist comments for another thread fools... This is proof in my book that women actually make the world go round...:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | April 10, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Enjoyable, interesting story.
I look forward to reading more of your stuff throughout the season.

Posted by: dcufan | April 10, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | April 10, 2009 12:55 PM
Off the top of my head I can think of soccer players, lacrosse players, probably some cricket players, ice hockey players in places like the British league, some curlers...

It has less to do with gender and more to due with the simple economics or better stated, the reality that the marketplace simply does not pay a lot for some sports in certain places.

I also find it a bit amusing that she quoted the 130 number when referring to women in the league who would be great for business, even if she was just referencing being a salesperson. Some of them would be great. Some of them would be dreadful. Sales is a very tough gig. You could take all of the women or men playing in the IVY league and that might not all be good at business or sales.

What she is doing is exciting. I wish her well. It's also great that she wants to make a difference in her colleagues lives. That is wonderful. She is a real go getter. I also like the way that she managed to force a trade. Shoot, maybe she could mentor some of the USL sides and the MISL side in Baltimore. Or as someone referenced earlier, some of DCU's developmental players or the lower wage earners. If I wasn't utterly useless at selling, I would sign up...

Posted by: yankiboy | April 10, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Did someone mention a stad....

As a vice president at Tenant Consulting, a commercial real estate brokerage firm based in the District, Lohman, 26, has established a successful business career for herself.

;)

Posted by: jermWV | April 10, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I know yankiboy, I was just poking at the normal women's soccer hating trolls. I think they might be mellowing out...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | April 10, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Lohman's right. I made a pitch to the WNT that they should consider joining the foreign service when their playing careers were over. Obviously not all of them would be good, but the majority of them are smart, driven, and used to representing their country. Those same skills would be great in business.

Posted by: troy6 | April 10, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

It is astonishing to me that people like Lohman has to subsidize living expenses as a pro sport player including some mls players who can barely live on the salary they earn, while other worthless sports like baseball or best name boreball, football-what or through fat a...ball, and don't let me start on golf - a retired spending time game are earning undeserving money.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 10, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

What I don't understand is why Lohman was not in the 18 (or indeed, starting) against the Sol the other day.

Posted by: universityandpark | April 11, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Lohman not on the traveling roster probably b/c the coach has many options at MF position with players that are closer to top form. She did play well (sans a few errant deep passes) coming off he bench in second half of the charity match.

Hopefully the sun will break through this afternoon for what should be a great home opener to welcome the return of top flight women's soccer to the area.

Posted by: MR1Caretaker | April 11, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse