Tuesday Kickaround

*In Norway, USA goalkeeper Troy Perkins plays 90 minutes in Valerenga's 2-1 victory at Lillestrom.

*In Denmark, USA defender Michael Parkhurst and Nordsjaelland play at Esjberg today.

*In Germany, USA left back Heath Pearce is demoted by Hansa Rostock.

*Clemson University's coach is placed on leave of absence after a domestic dispute.

*If you have Comcast digital cable in Fairfax County or elsewhere, check to see if Fox Soccer Channel and GolTV remain in their usual spots. On my system, effective today, FSC has moved from 267 to 725 and GolTV from 268 to 726. Several other sports stations have also changed places.

*Catch me on Comcast SportsNet's "Washington Post Live" today at 5 p.m. with a replay at 11:30. You can also watch the show via washingtonpost.com's sports page.

For today's TV listings, continue reading this thread.....

*Soccer on TV today:
Champions League, Chelsea-Liverpool 2:30 p.m. ESPN2
Champions League, Bayern Munich-Barcelona 2:30 p.m. Setanta, ESPN Deportes
Champions League, Bayern Munich-Barcelona (tape) 5 p.m. ESPN Classic
Copa Libertadores, Deportivo Quito-Universitario Sucre 6 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
Copa Libertadores, Caracas-Everton 8 p.m. FSE
Copa Libertadores, Chivas-Lanus 10:30 p.m. FSE

By Steve Goff  |  April 14, 2009; 9:18 AM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , TV , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Coach Punches Referee
Next: D.C. United Notes

Comments

Comcast changed all the sports channels in MoCo as well. We have FSC on 725 and GolTV on 726. I almost freaked out this morning when I woke up, as I forgot that this was the day they switched channels.

Posted by: georgejones5 | April 14, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Egad. The reserve squad on a BundesL-2 team. Egad.

How did a Liverpool team qualify for the Copa Libertadores?
:-) for the humor impaired

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 14, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Dude I sure hope my daughter doesn't get into what ever Adair's girls got into... I hate stories like that, beating your kids is ridiculous, but some kids can do some STUPID stuff.

Hopefully it doesn't involve them partying with any of his players...?
Anyone out there ever holler at the coach's daughters? ugh..

Posted by: DadRyan | April 14, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Alright. Time to get pelted.

What do you guys think about Bobby Convey getting a look at left back? The way I see it, he is fast, has attacking skill And crossing ability. Furthermore, he is more solid physically than Beasley. The last time I saw him on the national team, he was frustrated in the final third, but did a good job of tracking back.

(assume the position).

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 14, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Women's Soccer Coach: A position is immediately open for the coach of a women's soccer team at an ACC university. Located in a Southern state, this position is ideal for those who enjoy soccer, guns, the Marshall Tucker Band, and wearing orange (to go from the tree-stand to the sidelines without changing clothes). Please send in your resume ASAP, Joe Doc.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 14, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Goff, what is attendance looking like for Friday night?

Posted by: lawrenceterp | April 14, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Just a guess: 15,000?

Decent advance sales, from what I hear

Early kickoff at the end of a Friday rush hour makes it tough, but the weather is supposed to be very nice

We'll see

Posted by: Steve Goff | April 14, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

So Steve, based on your years covering the team, and your years attending Shows, which United player is most likely to be at Verizon Center tonight? I'd go with Benny, but he's got the baby at home...the rest of the team I just don't know about - they're so damn young these days. Well, that, or I'm so damn old...

Posted by: EdTheRed | April 14, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

time to bring a friend or two..nothing better than kicking the weekend off with some dcu..esp since our days our numbered..

Posted by: gode | April 14, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

How did a Liverpool team qualify for the Copa Libertadores?
:-) for the humor impaired

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 14, 2009 9:47 AM

------------------------------------------

Yet people think that Real Salt Lake makes MLS look Mickey Mouse. Stealing identities has a long history in soccer.

Posted by: beach3 | April 14, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

@Goff: Comcast changed their channel lineup all over, moving the digital sports tier to the 700s, which includes the two soccer channels.

Instead of 257-280, the sports tier now runs from 715-738.

Posted by: writered21 | April 14, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Locked and loaded, I-270. Can I change Clemson's kit to camo orange?

"I'm gonna take a freight train down at the station, Lord
I don't care where it goes
Gonna climb a mountain, the highest mountain, Lord
And gonna jump off, ain't nobody gonna know
Can't you see, oh, can't you see,
What that woman, Lord
She been doin' to me
Can't you see, oh, can't you see
What that woman, been doin' to me..."

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 14, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

What's going on at Verizon?

Posted by: Reignking | April 14, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

re: reignking

an influx of hippies, psuedo-hippies and bong owners!!!

sadly none from Bong Mines..

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | April 14, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

POTUS supports the US world cup bid. Now if he can only get us a stadium...

Posted by: sofiaboy | April 14, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

By the way I recently moved into a condo building with DirecTV. First thing I did was to connect and am loving it. Two channels of Setanta, HDNET, Fox Sports en Espanol plus FSC and GolTV. Farewell, Comcast. Will not miss you. No need to call or write.

Posted by: sofiaboy | April 14, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

So is I-270 now I-770 if he has Comcast?

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | April 14, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

EdTheRed -

Only a handful, like Benny, are eligible, since the others would be basically blowing their game checks. My money's on Jakovic. Pontius needs a miracle.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 14, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Left back is such a weak spot for the US Nat'l team. Pearce's demotion is bad news. At least Bornstein has looked good in the couple games I've seen from him this season. Beasley might be OK against a team that isn't expected to attack much (like when T&T comes to the US) but is still questionable when it comes down to defending. Ditto w Convey, he scored a nice goal Saturday for SJ about a minute after he went missing during Chicago's goal.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 14, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Just a guess: 15,000?

Decent advance sales, from what I hear

We'll see
Posted by: Steve Goff | April 14, 2009 10:40 AM
--------------------------------------

I love United's marketing campain:

College Night, $15 to sit near the Barra and Eagles*

*Note, should read $15 to sit on the side of the stadium televised for ESPN's coverage.

Posted by: TCompton | April 14, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

:-) I have Fios.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 14, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

@UnitedDemon

Now is the time to try something like that out. We don't have a clear answer back there and I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "Heath Pearce sure had a good game" after any recent match he's been involved in. Of the rest of the young guys, are any of them capable of playing left back? DeMerit and Parkhurst are central defenders and Simek is more on the right, correct? What about Spector? Could Bradley get him some time back there to see how it works?

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | April 14, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

@Joel_M_Lane:

oh, right, forgot about Bornstein! Pearce needs to be jettisoned ASAP.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | April 14, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

beach3, South American teams with European names were at least founded by Europeans decades ago. Its not like a group of Spaniards decided to start a club in SLC and name it after the Spanish crown.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | April 14, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

When Pearce was sitting the bench, I said it was unacceptable for him to be a regular for the US on the grounds that the 2.Bundesliga is no better, and possibly worse, than MLS.

With MLS having dropped the reserve league, calling Pearce in now would be the equivalent of calling in a guy that just got waived. I know we're short at the position, but there has to be some better option than Pearce, Bornstein, or playing midfielders there and hoping they won't be badly exposed (while knowing deep down that they will be).

The bad news for us is that MLS doesn't offer up many good left backs that are also eligible for the national team. In the East, no less than 4 teams have foreign players starting in the position. The one player with the potential to evolve into a contender at the national team, Michael Harrington, got benched in KC for a rookie who was supposed to be primarily a center back. In the West, there are more Americans, but none are national team material (Eric Denton or Blake Wagner, anyone?).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 14, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

How's Cory Gibbs doing? Could he be shifted over to left back? Just askin'

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 14, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Soccernet line-up

Franck Ribéry (RCF)? If that means right center forward, shouldn't there be an LCF? Maybe it's really cranky Frenchman? Je ne understandez pas.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 14, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse