Gulati in D.C.

Sunil Gulati, the USSF president, was invited to speak at the National Press Club in Washington this afternoon as part of a media event concerning South Africa's preparations to host the World Cup next year. He was joined on the panel by Ambassador to the U.S. Welile Nhlapo; Sthu Zungu, president of South African tourism in North America; and Lucas Radebe, the former Leeds and Bafana Bafana defender who is serving as a World Cup ambassador.

Most of the topics centered around security, infrastructure and the global economic climate -- and offered few definitive answers. But there was also mention of the Confederations Cup in June, in which the U.S. national team will participate. Gulati declined to address specifics about the U.S. roster -- he did joke about the "easy" draw that includes group matches against Italy and Brazil -- but the Insider has learned that Gulati and Coach Bob Bradley will meet with MLS officials this week to discuss availability for players from domestic clubs.

It's fair to assume that, after playing a pair of World Cup qualifiers in early June, most, if not all, of the roster will remain intact and travel to South Africa for the Confederations Cup. This summer's calendar also includes the Gold Cup in July, and it seems unlikely that many players will participate in both tournaments. (Maybe someone such as Heath Pearce, who has fallen out of favor at Hansa Rostock?) An Aug. 12 qualifier at Mexico is also in the mix. So will we see the "A" team in South Africa and a "B" team, per se, for the Gold Cup? Almost certainly.

I will sit down for a one-on-one interview with Radebe later today, but for now.....

How would you like to see the USSF approach the two tournaments, weighing the personnel demands on MLS teams and the physical demands on European-based players after long club seasons?

By Steve Goff  |  April 27, 2009; 1:14 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , USSF
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday Kickaround
Next: United Sights and Sounds

Comments

Just like that - A team does the qualifiers and Confed. Cup. B team gets the Gold Cup. It's a nothing tournament this year and we should let some tweener guys scrap it out for a chance at a trophy and increased time with the A team.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 27, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

A-team for the Confederations, A/B team for the Gold Cup.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | April 27, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Confederations Cup is a scam and not important, IMHO. I hope the team does not expend too much energy on it.

Steve - anyone at the meeting want to buy DC United?

Posted by: Kev29 | April 27, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

More like the senior team and the u23 team. This will be Freddy Adu's one chance to make his case before the World Cup.

Kenny Cooper, Wynne, Sal Zizzo, Robbie Rogers, Chad Marshall, Parkhurst. Szetela and Feilhaber, the battle horn will sound, and a ridiculous number of playes will answer. Should be interesting.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 27, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Obviously, the World Cup Qualifiers requires the A team. I think the number one priority for any national team coach is the World Cup. So I would try as much as possible to prepare my team for the World Cup, which in my opinion means the A team heads to the Confed Cup. You take a team of bubble and up and coming players to the Gold Cup since it is virtually meaningless this year.

The Confed Cup is the best opportunity for good competition for the US' first team. It will help Bob Bradley choose his team in 2010. Playing Brazil and Italy is much better than Honduras or Canada.

It really is that simple.

Posted by: therealfootball | April 27, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Confederations Cup may not be "important", but how often will our boys get to play meaningful games against the likes of Brazil and Italy? No-brainer. The A team goes to South Africa, to learn how it's done at that level...what it takes to beat those guys. I promise I won't object to buying a ticket to see the "B" team.

Posted by: fischy | April 27, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Confed Cup is the perfect tuneup for the real deal - stadiums, competition, climate, travel, food, etc. Bringing anything less than our best 18 is redonkulous.

You're in to win it Bob.

Posted by: ddd001 | April 27, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

How about the "Not in the eight-team" for the Gold Cup?

Adu, Pearce, Jozy...

Posted by: Reignking | April 27, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Neither tournament is close to a Metro stop. The Virginians will boycott....

Posted by: JkR- | April 27, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

@JkR,

But we have two airports!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 27, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I think at least some blend of the A team needs to play in all of them. We should not be sending a team like we sent to the Copa America a few years back to any of these events.

Posted by: VTUnited | April 27, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

@VTUnited

I agree with sending at least some Team A guys to the Gold Cup, but only those playing in Europe that are not injured and willing to play. US Soccer cannot screw MLS out of very important players for a month in order to play in three competitions.

Posted by: therealfootball | April 27, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

You're in to win it Bob.

Posted by: ddd001 | April 27, 2009 1:51 PM |

I just hope United players can continue to fly under the radar for national team duty. As much as I'd like to see Tino earn another shot, I think I'll appreciate him more in Black and Red.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 27, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Our best players have to go to South Africa so they have some idea of what to expect when they go back for the real show. Backups and maybes should play in the Gold Cup.

How many times do you get to play Italy and Brazil in a short period, not to mention Egypt, who doesn't suck. Gotta send our best.

Posted by: hacksaw | April 27, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

as some others have hinted, a lot of those euro players aren't getting a lot of playing time so a busy summer shouldn't be too bad physically. I'd say folks like Adu, Altidore, Beasley, Pearce, and Guzan should be subs in South Africa and starters in Gold Cup. MLS guys like Cooper should get lots of playing time in Gold Cup. Whatever other euros -- like the Scandinavian brigade -- should be slotted into Gold Cup service if they aren't slated for Confederations time.

Posted by: troy6 | April 27, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I think at least some blend of the A team needs to play in all of them.

Posted by: VTUnited

I think they should show up in a black van with a red stripe. I pity the fool who doesn't support the US!

Posted by: Reignking | April 27, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh...

Now there is South African Swine Flu!

Contact Nike for BioHazard suits, with Dri Fit, in home and away colors. Available soon from Eurosport.

Posted by: ErickSp8 | April 27, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Whoever thinks that Bob shouldn't mess with MLS needs to realize that That's Why We Have the MLS. It was formed to provide experience to those who couldn't transfer to Europe. We should be more concerned with players that are working their way into the team (Adu, Altidore are clearly exempt).

I wish any of our players were open for consideration, Tino and Pontius are the only ones worth mentioning in the same sentence.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 27, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I think at least some blend of the A team needs to play in all of them.

Posted by: VTUnited

Posted by: Reignking | April 27, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Bob Bradley as Hannibal Smith. "I love it when a plan comes together..."

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 27, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

As much as I agree with you UnitedDemon, do you REALLY see Quaranto/and or Pontius as options in the first team for 2010?
Personally, I think Quaranta could very well have some of his best years still ahead of him, and Pontius has a lot of Hustle, but seriously? No. I know MLS is helping the USSF's cause but it's sole focus has surpassed just being a training ground for unpolished domestics. Ask Sounders fans how they feel about respecting International Match days. I'd bet MLS's biggest draw hardly even knows any of these tournaments are even happening this year... Never mind the actual World Cup in 2010.

Maybe Le Toux will start getting national team call ups.. I heard he wants to play for the US....;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | April 27, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Quaranto? NO! Quaranta... my bad... ay!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 27, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

I've never understood why we need a Gold Cup every two years. I'd sit this one out to give everybody a rest.

Posted by: ashleybone | April 27, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Observations:
1. Mexico was among the top 8 seeds in Germany.
2. We are demonstrably better than Mexico.
3. The Confederations Cup is a genuine opportunity against real competition to either increase our FIFA ranking, or not.
4. Everything to win, nothing to lose since expectations would be low in our Confed group and we will qualify for 2010 regardless.

Conclusion: We go all in for the Confederations Cup. Team A+.

Posted by: JoeS3 | April 28, 2009 5:18 AM | Report abuse