Janicki's Status

D.C. United defender Greg Janicki has returned to training after missing last Saturday's match at Real Lake City. He was involved in the scary head-to-head collision with teammate Devon McTavish in the season opener almost a month ago at Los Angeles, an incident that required several stitches to his forehead. Although he returned to play 11 minutes against Houston two weeks later, he experienced postgame concussion-like symptoms.

As you can imagine after dealing with long-term head injuries to Alecko Eskandarian, Josh Gros and Domenic Mediate in recent years, United is carefully monitoring Janicki's situation.

"Last week I didn't feel very good so I took the weekend off," he said. "I have felt better the last couple days and have been practicing. I just haven't been heading the ball. Last week there was a grogginess. It wasn't a headache; it was more like pressure in my head. I felt kind of spaced out. My head is a lot more clear this week. I ended up getting a CT scan and it came out fine. I just rested and took it easy. I'm trying to get back into the flow of things. I haven't played much in three weeks and I am just trying to get my body back to where it was and increase my fitness. Hopefully I can play Friday, but I don't want to come back too soon. We'll take it day by day."

On the official MLS injury list, Janicki's availability is listed as probable for Friday's match against New England at RFK Stadium.

By Steve Goff  |  April 15, 2009; 12:23 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Montero, Olsen and a 60-Yard Goal
Next: Matchday: Euro Champions League

Comments

Does United lead the league in head injuries?

Posted by: sitruc | April 15, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Stay safe, Greg.

And speaking of headaches (sorry to be so predictable...)

"Let me tell you how it will be;
There's one for you, nineteen for me.
'Cause I'm the taxman,
Yeah, I'm the taxman.

Should 39* per cent appear too small,
Be thankful I don't take it all.
'Cause I'm the taxman,
Yeah, I'm the taxman..."

*slight adjustment to account for current events

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 15, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Dude should just take his time.

The only silver lining in the whole sorry affair is that (unfortunately) United has a lot of experience with this sort of situation...

Posted by: yankiboy | April 15, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

They did a brain scan and found nothing?

This stuff writes itself....

Posted by: JkR- | April 15, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Janicki should stay out of Friday's game. Take the extra time to get back into game shape and ensure he is 100% healthy.

Posted by: noptov | April 15, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

hey yankiboy, I got my islander jerseys!! just thought you might like this, I called Jaime Moreno when DC played the scrimmage in Puerto Rico and asked him for 2 Jerseys my wife being Puertorican and all she was very excited!

Posted by: ThE-BaRRa-BrAvA-KiD | April 15, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Oh I'm a gummy bear
Yes I'm a gummy bear
Oh i'm a yummy jummy funny lucky gummy bear
I'm a jolly bear Cause I'm a gummy bear
Oh im a movin, grovin, jammin, singin gummy bear

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 15, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Should some headgear be required safety equipment? Not as elaborate as NFL, but something? I've had youth players on my team butt heads, and it scared me to death. Heads are more important than shins.

Posted by: granadoskerry | April 15, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

It appears PMcP missed out on the headgear thing...

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 15, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Janicki definitely needs to take all the time necessary for a full recovery.

Hopefully we won't need him against New England anyway. They seem to rely on speed at forward rather than size and strength (where Janicki matches up best).

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 15, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Does it seem to anyone else that MLS has an inordinate number of head injuries and concussions? You don't hear about European teams losing players to these injuries with this kind of frequency. Is the MLS game more oriented toward arial play, or are we just unlucky? Or sloppy? Anyone????

Posted by: joemybro | April 15, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joemybro | April 15, 2009 2:48 PM

I dont know if it is more oriented toward arial play, but it is oriented toward poor officiating. like the kind that allows for play to continue while two players are on the ground with clear head injuries.

Posted by: VTUnited | April 15, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I think it's, in part, a sampling error. WE get much more info on MLS injuries than we do on Europlayer injuries. The only Europlayers we hear about when injured are the stars. Then again, maybe we have better health care because we run a CT scan each time a player falls down.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 15, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joemybro | April 15, 2009 2:48 PM

Posted by: VTUnited | April 15, 2009 2:59 PM

A friend of mine insists that no one in MLS has chest control... They head the ball everywhere, and have no ability to get the ball out of the air and down to their feet. I've pointed out Brian Ching as the contrary... I'm sure the Ching haters will love that...
;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | April 15, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

That collision between Janicki and McTavish was a freak accident.

I think MLS just has a higher proportion of freaks.

Posted by: Senor_Funk | April 15, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

"A friend of mine insists that no one in MLS has chest control..."

Do they need manssieres?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 15, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

probably...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | April 15, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Sloppy, lack of vision and control. I agree with friend of yours dad.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 16, 2009 7:39 AM | Report abuse