Latest FIFA Rankings

The USA moves up two slots to No. 15. Mexico drops two to No. 25.

Not to be taken too seriously, of course: the full FIFA rankings.

By Steve Goff  |  April 8, 2009; 2:03 PM ET
Categories:  FIFA , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: United's Future Home
Next: T&T Coaching Change

Comments

USA! USA!

Posted by: Konoha7 | April 8, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

That seems about right. Looking at the rankings we'd have a tough time against anyone above us, but could take anyone below us.

Posted by: silverrey | April 8, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

African teams seem generally low, but it's not like I see them play all the time. I'm just skeptical that USA is likely to be better than every African country on any given day.

Posted by: benonthehill | April 8, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Horribly overinflated again. On a neutral site, would we really be favored over any of the teams in the 20s? Don't think so. I'd put us in the lower 20s/upper 30s.

Posted by: icehippo | April 8, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: icehippo | April 8, 2009 2:17 PM

Agreed. Dominating concacaf shows nothing and US Soccer has not shown anything against top tier competition. I swear the US builds themselves to beat mexico and win concacaf. I guarantee you if you ask top teams who they fear more, more will say mexico and at least half of those other teams in the late teens/20s.

Posted by: gregegeg | April 8, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Meaningless. But, FIFA has to do something with the millions they make.

In the meantime:

"Beer and alcohol sales were banned at the Tigers-Blue Jays game last night in Toronto, a day after their season opener was delayed when unruly fans littered the field with baseballs and debris."

What's up with Toronto sports fans these days? Have they all gone psychotic?

Posted by: hacksaw | April 8, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Beer and alcohol?

Honestly officer I just had beer, no alcohol.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 8, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say "Toronto"?!

"To seek the sacred river Alph
To walk the caves of ice
To break my fast on honeydew
And drink the milk of Paradise..."

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 8, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Man that Dirk Kuyt works his butt off! Torres with a goal in the 6th!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 8, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I missed it. Who won Soccer Insider's NCAA style World Cup playoff? And who got third place? And who was in the Final Four anyway? Wasn't it Spain, Germany, Argentina and Brasil?

Posted by: WorldCup | April 8, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

After Bayern's match against Wolfsburg over the weekend, I guess Barcelona could not wait to take on that defense.

Posted by: teamn | April 8, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Serbia up 13 to 23. Undoubtedly because they stole someone from the USA.

Israel is 21?

Grenada up 14! Which is remarkable, since they haven't played since January, when they lost 5-zip to Barbados. More proof that these rankings are nuts.

Posted by: Reignking | April 8, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

these rankings look pretty good. there should be a bottom dweller world cup.

Posted by: gode | April 8, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

FIFA ranking is perfectly legit. No one can come up with better solution.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 8, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

The ELO Rankings are generally considered to be more accurate than FIFA's rankings.

And those rankings have us at #13 in the world, as of the first of this month.

Posted by: hokieunited | April 8, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

My team Faroe Islands: High Risers 19 spots.

Posted by: TheJim1 | April 8, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse