Local Pro Matches This Weekend

FRIDAY
USL2: Crystal Palace Baltimore (1-0-1) at Charlotte Eagles (0-0-1), 7 p.m.

SATURDAY
MLS: FC Dallas (1-4-1) at D.C. United (2-1-3)
RFK Stadium, 7:30 p.m.
TV: Fox Soccer Channel.
Radio: WFED (1500 AM), WTOP (1050 AM), WWWB (820 AM), English; WACA (1540 AM), WYSK (1390 AM), WLXE (1600 AM), Spanish.

USL2: Real Maryland (1-0-0) at Pittsburgh (0-0-2), 7 p.m.

SUNDAY
WPS: St. Louis Athletica (0-2-1) at Washington Freedom (1-2-1)
Maryland SoccerPlex, 6 p.m.
TV: Fox Soccer Channel.

By Steve Goff  |  April 30, 2009; 3:07 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Freedom , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Few Minutes With Mia Hamm
Next: Weekend TV Listings

Comments

Any ideas on attendance for the United game? Time to admit that we're looking at a +/- 15,000 type season this year?

Posted by: the_slammer | April 30, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Abby versus Hope? This ought to be a movie. Wish I were there to see it.

By the way, for all the Pac NW folks who inhabit this blog, Sounders-Chelsea tix go on sale May 11. Got a HS friend picking up a pair for me.

Posted by: troy6 | April 30, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

DC United is on TV this weekend? TV? Wow! Good news!

Wait. I meant to write why isn't the DC United game in HD?! FSC hates soccer!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 30, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Who cares if it is not in HD! (it should be though) It beats watching the game on shaddy internet websites. I am in school up in Syracuse, I wish i could be at the game. Pack the aging RFK

Vamos UNITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 30, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

A link to Washington Post Live for those who can't get to their television and Comcast SportsNet is right here.

Posted by: sitruc | April 30, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cray | April 30, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

United on Comcast may be next.

Posted by: sitruc | April 30, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

cray: I don't get it. I don't understand a "new" EPL or Serie A -- what changed? Teams got greedier and keep more money?

Posted by: Reignking | April 30, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I still prefer Russ.

Posted by: sitruc | April 30, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Reignking:

In the case of Serie A becoming the Italian Premier League, more money is the entire interest.

Where the Premier League comes into it is explained here:

Nothing really changed in terms of promotion/relegation. It just kept top division revenues in the top division (with the exception of relegation "parachute payments", which have kept a few clubs alive after they went down). I imagine the Serie A clubs just want to copy the blueprint.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 30, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Okay, totally off topic, but I bet Dadryan will get a kick (no pun intended) out of this idea:

Select MLS teams wearing NASL throwback strips. Teams representing cities who were in the NASL (ex. DC, LA, Seattle, Dallas, Chicago, New England, San Jose, Toronto) would wear kits with the colors and designs of the old NASL representatives of those cities, but with the current logo badge and jersey sponsor in the appropriate place.

Exceptions: The Pink Cows would NOT get to wear the Cosmos strip! And, Colorado would likely have second thoughts about the old Caribous jerseys...can you say brown fringe??

Dadryan -- here's your third-kit idea. A Diplomats-style shirt with a diagonal sash (either solid or three-stripe, depending on the year used), and the DCU and VW logos in their usual location.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 30, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Chicago tried that a few years ago with Sting throwback jerseys. Other teams may have done it too. I never did see the logic of associating a new, up-and-coming league with an old, failed one. Not enough time has passed between the NASL and MLS. Now if they were to have Bethlehem Steel and Fall River Marksmen throwbacks...

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 30, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

That's what I thought, Chest; it really penalizes in La Liga. Promoted teams don't enjoy the benefit of being in the top flight until the end of their first season -- by then, it may be too late.

Posted by: Reignking | April 30, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

I posed this on the wrong thread.
Dallas being nocked out of the open cup and the memory of losing is so close and recent to their mind, they will likely come hard. What's the best approach to beat them again on Saturday? I say same line up as the line up that was in NY.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 30, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Cool idea SportsNut21...I'm sure with the addition of the Timbers and Whitecaps back into the top flight domestic such an idea would fly high out in the PacNW. It'll never happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if Stall&Dean aren't already selling throwback Sounders jawns just blocks from Qwest field...

*update*: Found this stuff at their website...No Dips stuff yet, but...

that hat is hella tight no?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 30, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Letterman joked tonight that the soccer games in Mexico that will be played in empty stadiums this weekend will be "just like soccer games played here in the US"... "empty stadiums". I sure hope that Red Bull Arena is a success for all our sake.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 30, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 30, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

SportzNut21, I LOVE that idea! I actually wear a Johan Cryuff throwback to the DC United games. The NFL and NBA and Major League Baseball have throwback games. Why can't MLS do it?

Posted by: stwasm | May 1, 2009 7:40 AM | Report abuse