Marquez Sidelined

If you were watching the Barcelona-Chelsea match today, you saw Mexican defender Rafael Marquez suddenly go down in midfield without any contact. According to Barcelona's official Web site, Marquez suffered a meniscus injury and will undergo further testing tomorrow. He is almost certain to miss the remainder of the La Liga season, including this weekend's showdown at Real Madrid, and is in jeopardy of missing Mexico's World Cup qualifiers at El Salvador on June 6 and home vs. T&T four days later. Marquez missed the past two Mexico qualifiers after receiving a red card in the final-round opener against the USA.

By Steve Goff  |  April 28, 2009; 8:47 PM ET
Categories:  Mexico , Spain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dallas Roster Move(s)
Next: Everton at All-Star Game

Comments

Too bad. Puyol can't play next, he is out. what a mess?

Like I said Barca blew it really really bad today. With that much possession couldn't break chelsea's ugly game plan.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 28, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Chelsea plays some of the ugliest football ever. I hope they get drilled at home. As for Marquez....I don't wish injury on anyone, but that being said, its hard to feel sorry for him.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | April 28, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I had a couple of my football players tear a meniscus last season, and it took them both about two months to be back on the field, three to be 100%.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 28, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't have happened to a nicer hombre.

Posted by: ElPichichi1 | April 28, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Is this where we discuss if NBC brings Chuck back for another season?

Posted by: sitruc | April 28, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

I follow barca and watch them whenever I can. I was surprised to see puyol come off the bench today. Losing marquez wouldn't be that bad if Puyol did not pick up another yellow and forced to miss the next game. I'm pretty worried about our game plan next week in England. Everybody knows its all offense with barca, with the counterattack wide open as our belly softspot. I hope the offense blows Chelsea away next week, but I doubt it. I find it hard to believe Barca will go to chelsea and not allow a goal. They need to get some scoring on the road, which means go on the offensive, but once again, leave the defense vulnerable. Here's hoping the beautiful game Barca plays brings karma points over Chelsea's ugliness! Then there's the whole classico game this weekend with Real. Oyy. Tough stretch. Must watch futbol!!!

Posted by: doh1 | April 28, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm a VCR using caveman and the tape I used to record the game ran out after only one half of the Barcelona-Chelsea game. From what I've read about the game that was pretty lucky on my part.

Caps won a big one tonight. They seem to have better luck with the Russians than Ray Hudson had with his hairy chested Bulgarians.

I think if either team can score in the 2nd leg of the Chelsea-Barcelona series they will play the winner of tonight's Seattle-RSL Open Cup play-in game. Radio feed is supposed to be available here starting at 10 pm EDT for you late night soccer addicts:

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 28, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

The only sad thing about this Marquez thing is that I hate it when teams lose in the Champions League based on the defenders who can't play. I mean, take Milan v Man U. Sure, the highlights were amazing, but that Kaka head flick? He wouldn't have been able to do that if All Man U's centerback's weren't benched, except for Wes Brown.

Now, I'm an Everton/DC fan, so I'm not even speaking as a fan.

I really didn't want to see the Chelsea flow killers in the final. Bring on the loose cannons!

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 28, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

That was a total freak injury, kind of disturbing to watch. Barca was both unlucky on chances and lucky to leave nou camp with a nil draw. I still think they are favored, but they can't keep playing Chelsea's hardnosed game, it doesn't suit them. Puyol was saved by the bell from a second yellow, and the talking back to the zebra won't fly nearly as much at the Bridge.

I think it ends 1-1, and barca goes through, but I wouldn't put money on it.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | April 28, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Screw defense, Barcelona has so many talented attacking players! Throw everyone and the kitchen sink at Chelsea! They've got nothing left to lose. Barcelona has got it. Chelsea is nothing but divers, dead beat dad playboys, and spineless in the clutch chumps! Ha, Ha!
Can't wait for tomorrow. Should have transferred out Marquez and gotten more quality in my mids.... Ahhhhh! Fantasy Champions League, curses!!!
Go Gunners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hardee, har, har.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 28, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Yeah watching it live and watching the immediate replay you could tell something wrong happened in that knee.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 28, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Why did Barça not score today? Easy, they took on a team that actually knew how to defend. Call it cynical, call it anti-football; in the Champions League you do what you can to win the tie and Chelsea have set themselves up to win it. I know people will criticize Chelsea for not attacking at the Nou Camp, well look at where Lyon and Munich are now, out of the CL.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 28, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Hmm... makes you wonder if he has some ligament damage as well that would permit such free movement of the bones on the meniscus. I'm not a doc, but I've had two ACL injuries / repairs, and meniscus damage is common when you blow those supporting structures in the knee.

June 6? I don't think so. Not if Barca has any say in the matter.

Posted by: Modibo | April 28, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Just because I like listening to other things while playing fifa, I clicked that link to listen to Sounders-RSL, and in the 55th Sounders up 4-1, having scored twice in the last 3 minutes, and sounds like RSL playing more regular starters.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 28, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

This is good news for Barca AND Mexico...Marquez sucks. He makes at least one bonehead play per game...I hope he does not come to the MLS, we have enough class-less Mexican garbage in our league...

Posted by: alan19 | April 28, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

our league? Who's classless? give me a break red neck alan19! It's good news that Marquez is hurt for both of the teams he plays for? As I said before, Rafa is dirty as the dirt under dog doo, but no one should be wishing injuries like the one Marquez suffered today on anyone. If anything IS CLASSLESS....

Posted by: DadRyan | April 29, 2009 1:26 AM | Report abuse

DadRyan,

Well said. A bigot talking about class. Now I've read everything. ROCK THE RED BABY!

Posted by: blackandred777 | April 29, 2009 3:26 AM | Report abuse

I never thought I'd type these words, but...WELL SPOKEN, DADRYAN! Wish I'd said it first.

Posted by: troy6 | April 29, 2009 3:29 AM | Report abuse

I love seeing the demise of the FMF but seeing him go down and in all that pain made me cringe. I've had serious knee injuries and it's gotta be the worst pain, maybe behind back pain. But I would love to see Mexico drop some more points in CONCACAF. I hope he recovers, just not in time for their qualifiers ;) After what he did to Timmy in Columbus, I don't prefer watching Marquez strutting around on the field in a Barca shirt.

Barca need to put on their gamefaces at Stamford Bridge. I don't see them getting shutout in two games, especially with Chelsea pushing for a goal at home. Chelsea will get caught with the counter attack.

Posted by: adamsunited | April 29, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Bring back Chuck! "Take a shower, you hippy."

Marquez dropped like he was taken out by a sniper. It's the kind of injury that makes an aging player like me think twice about lacing up the boots before taking to a FieldTurf pitch. My wife told me if I ever get hurt playing soccer, not to bother coming home. To suffer that fate and not have anyone within 10 yards of me? Ugh.

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 29, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

1. Lovely article about the DCU rookies and their contributions. Just imagine what kind of year the rookies would be having if Lyle Adams (2nd round choice) had signed? He'd be getting some minutes and I'm guessing we wouldn't have traded for Avery John.

2. I hate to see any player injured. But with Marquez likely out for the WCQ at Azteca, I guess that means Mexico won't end up finishing the game with 10 players now.

3. You've got to wonder if the Swine Flu epidemic will burn itself out by then or if Azteca will be empty for the USA-Mexico match?

Posted by: JoeW1 | April 29, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

What happened with Alves? He looked like he was grabbing his achilles again at the very end of the game.

This works out perfect for Real...well except Puyol's yellow cause he'll definitely play this weekend now. And before anyone jumps down my throat I'm speaking of the 0-0 draw rather than the injuries. Barca has to be worried about the next game having not scored at all. Not that they'll throw the Real game or anything cause for sure they are worried about Real catching them, but maybe they'll try to play for a draw and get caught! It was a hard game to watch though, i'm not sure who I hate more. I guess i'd have to go with Barca but Chelsea is up there.

Posted by: Brian76 | April 29, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I like to watch Barca. They were totally outstrategized (is that a real word?) last night. Messi had the worst game I've seen him play, and it was all due to the numbers clumped in around the Chelsea third. Ugly game. Eto'o kept them from winning, though, when all he had to do was tap over to an unmarked Henry who was trailing his run at the 6-yard mark. Instead he tried to sneak it past a keeper who was having his best game in months. Selfish play.

As for Alves, he needs to do two things: get better at actually defending (his crosses are great, admittedly) and STOP ROLLING AROUND WHINING EVERY TIME HE'S TOUCHED. It's really, really, wussified and he just looks stupid.

Posted by: Danno1313 | April 29, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Man, there are a lot of Playstation Football fans in here.

Chelsea defended professionally with a depleted back line yesterday and they did it brilliantly. This was an unusual tactic for Chelsea, but a familiar one for anyone who has watched much International football in their life. Get the draw away, win at home. Very simple.

In the return I think Kalou will join Drogba up front and when the undeniably talented attack of Barcelona runs out of width on the narrow surface of Stamford Bridge, their backline will get battered and bruised.

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | April 29, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Barça were extremely lucky not to lose, with Marquez' obvious foul on Malouda in the penalty area going un-called, and that atrocious back-pass to the keeper leading to two 1 on 1 chances. The mighty Puyol looked 102 years old -- maybe that's not such a big loss. I'm sure the attackers will hear about their relentless selfishness and I expect that will improve, but if I'm Chelsea I'm feeling pretty confident right now.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 29, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse