Marta and WPS

Marta scored two goals late in the first half of the Los Angeles Sol's 2-0 WPS victory over Sky Blue FC before 6,053 in Bridgewater, N.J.

Speaking of the Brazilian superstar, she is featured in a four-page takeout in the New York Times Magazine today. I am almost didn't make it past the first paragraph, however, when the author wrote that Marta is "perhaps the most electrifying performer in the game, male or female." Female, yes, no question, probably in the history of the women's game. But among current male players? Uh, no. Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo , Robinho and Andrei Arshavin come very quickly to mind. Otherwise, a nice read.

Tiffeny Milbrett's 90th-minute goal lifted FC Gold Pride over the Boston Breakers, 2-1, before 6,459 in Santa Clara, Calif.

In WPS last night, the Chicago Red Stars won their opener at St. Louis Athletica, 1-0, in front of 5,008 in Edwardsville, Ill.

In an exhibition at Maryland SoccerPlex, goals by Abby Wambach and Jayme Leigh Cargnoni led the Washington Freedom to a 2-0 victory over the University of Virginia. The Freedom will make its home league debut this Saturday at 6 p.m. against Chicago.

By Steve Goff  |  April 5, 2009; 6:01 PM ET
Categories:  Freedom , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Editorial
Next: Americans Abroad

Comments

It's also worth noting that Boston Breakers-Gold Pride is on FSC right now.

Posted by: sitruc | April 5, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Nice goal by Gold Pride... words I thought I'd never type.

Posted by: sitruc | April 5, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Brandi Chastain is 40?

Posted by: sitruc | April 5, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the author was comparing Marta to MLS/WPS players, no?

Posted by: peridigm | April 5, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Time for a feel good soccer story with a subtle United undertone. . . how's that WW II, Anglo/French, Normandy rematch going?

I'm hoping for a cool trip . . .

Posted by: delantero | April 5, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Arakawa needs to dye her hair orange, like El Pibe.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 6, 2009 7:45 AM | Report abuse

If I get some time later tonight I will try to post some musings about the Freedom charity match. I am curious as to what the annnouced attendance was. Only a few hundred as best I could tell.

Posted by: MR1Caretaker | April 6, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

How is Tiffany Weimer not even in the US WNT pool? She's top notch all the way.

And Marta has a long long long long long long long long long way to go (9 longs for 9 championships) before she even approaches Mia Hamm "in the history of the womens game." Reminder -- Marta-led squads have won exactly ZERO championships.

But I'll grant you that Marta is at least as electrifying as Freddy Adu.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 6, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

"She is my type of player," FC Gold Pride coach Albertin Montoya said of Weimer. "I wasn't the tallest player and I couldn't rely on physical advantages and she is so creative and unpredictable and I let her play like that. She's the type of player that excites you, her play was fabulous."

Posted by: OWNTF | April 6, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Good insight into Freedom's first game. Hope there's more where this came from.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 6, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Steve,
You are one of the great soccer writers, so thanks for the props on my story and for directing your readers to it. But, just to be clear: you almost couldn't get beyond the first graf because of the suggestion that a woman player like Marta could be as compelling to watch as a man? OK, it's arguable, anyone can disagree, but it was that outlandish to almost stop you?
Best,
Michael Sokolove

Posted by: mysoko | April 6, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF. Great link. I can't compete with beulah's commentary.

In a nutshell at the charity game DeVanna ran like there was no tomorrow and was a menace with her pace. She and Abby had numerous chances but the finishing wasn't there. Each had a half dozen good looks at goal. Sawa was more involved (but still not enough) and Bompastor played well again. There were some nice combination passes in MF and woth forwards that were lacking in the Sol match -- and again the team defense was good. Only one UVA forward looked threatening a few times by UVA barely had a whiff at goal. Scurry had maybe one save and was not tested. Most of the starters were replaced at halftime. Moros had some nice moves and pace that sent her clear down the wing for the assist on goal 2. The Freedom dominated possession in the second half as UVA grew tired and the wind chill probably cooled them off as well.

Mysoko - Placing Marta as the best soccer performer was over the top hype that took away from an otherwise nice article. The goal you reference was fabulous. Let's see if Marta ever does anything close to it again like various entertaining male players -- competing against much tougher competition -- do week in and week out on the world stage.

Posted by: MR1Caretaker | April 6, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF - FYI -- Marta-led squads have won exactly ZERO championships.

Not true....I count 9 as well and she's only getting started - she's just 23.
4 time Damallsvenskan Champions (2005-2006-2007-2008)
Sweedish Cup Winner (2007)
UEFA Cup Winner (2003-2004)
Pan Am Games (2003 - 2007)
Sudamerican Feminino Champions - CONMEBOL - 2003

Not to take anything away from Mia Hamm - I followed her through UNC and years after that - but her time has come and gone. Marta is something different. She has taken the game to a different level.

Posted by: brfan67 | April 7, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse