Matchday #6: United-Red Bulls

It's a Washington-in-New-York weekend.

The Redskins front office is at Radio City Music Hall for the second day of the gripping NFL draft. The Capitals are a few blocks away at Madison Square Garden for Game 6 of their NHL playoff series with the Rangers. The Nationals are in Queens to face the Mets in search of their first road win. And here at the Meadowlands, on an artificial turf surface that should reach, oh, 193 degrees on a brutally unseasonable spring afternoon, D.C. United plays the Red Bulls (3 p.m. ET, Telefutura). Plenty of good seats available.

United had a couple Eastern Conference results go their way on Saturday night: Chicago and Columbus drew, leaving the defending champions with an 0-2-4 record and the Fire unbeaten at 2-0-4, and New England suffered its worst loss ever with a 6-0 thumping at Real Salt Lake.

Back soon with DCU lineups and subs

DCU: Crayton; Namoff, Jakovic, Burch; Fred, Olsen, Simms, Pontius (central), Wallace; Quaranta, Emilio. Subs: Kocic, Janicki, John, McTavish, Jacobson, Khumalo, Barklage. (Moreno is not available because of a heel injury.)

As usual, you've discovered the ultimate experience for pregame, in-game and postgame discussion. I'll create a Freedom-Gold Pride later today (6 p.m. ET, Fox Soccer Channel).

By Steve Goff  |  April 26, 2009; 12:18 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Saturday Kickaround
Next: WPS Matchnight: Freedom-Gold Pride

Comments

How many ink stained wretches fit into a single Insider Prius?

Posted by: JkR- | April 26, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

any websites for viewing this game as Telefutura is n/a on FIOS?

Posted by: envirosound | April 26, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Good point about the heat on turf. It will be brutal out there. I'll be happy with a point under these conditions. Looking forward to visiting Red Bull Arena next year.

Posted by: Pedalada | April 26, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

"... the gripping NFL draft."

Zing!

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 26, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

For FiOS looks like NBA/DirectKick. I guess mlsnet is really going to start paying for itself we see fewer and fewer FSC and ESPN games.

The weather today would have made for a great home game.

Posted by: muchenik | April 26, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know of anywhere that the game is being streamed for free online? I don't get Telefutura (well, I do, but DirecTV blacks out any pro sports game on it).

Posted by: kdiff813 | April 26, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kdiff813 | April 26, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Josh8 | April 26, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or is anyone else frustrated to see Burch start at LB again? I get sick and tired of Soehn's infatuation with him. IMO the backline should be Namoff-LB Janicki-CB and Jagovic-RB. They played really well in the first game and I can't stand Burch's penchant for turnovers and not marking the far post on a cross from the right wing. He has been making mistakes for three straight years as a LB. Why is he still starting?

Posted by: no_recess | April 26, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Pontius is being given a lot of credit -- and responsibility...

Posted by: Reignking | April 26, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

The Limarzi link, for the Spanish-challenged (follow the 1050 AM link):

Posted by: universityandpark | April 26, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I definetly am confused. I'm not a John fan, but if we put in the effort, the money, the stupidity to get him, for a bench warmer? Brilliant.

Also, though I think Quaranta and Fred are important, and have potential, Barklage played like a maniac the other night. He should get minutes.

ps. Olsen, don't get injured.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 26, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

He isn't in game shape.

Posted by: Reignking | April 26, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

United Demon, how much money did we put into John?

No recess, couldn't agree more about Burch. His laserbeam of a leg will only get us so far considering his defensive liabilities.

Posted by: notafembot | April 26, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: no_recess | April 26, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Let's Go United!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 26, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Telefutura FTW

Channel 612, Comcast.

Posted by: strago | April 26, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

and yet again I click on WTOP and get nothing but news...great!!!

Posted by: no_recess | April 26, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

you can really hear the supporters groups in the online radio feed - hats off to them for driving all the way to NJ and braving the heat

Posted by: Pedalada | April 26, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

no recess, click on the federal news radio link, and choose the second option.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 26, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: notafembot | April 26, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

(well, I do, but DirecTV blacks out any pro sports game on it).

Posted by: kdiff813 | April 26, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Huh?

I have DirecTV and I'm watching the game as we speak.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 26, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Channel 47 on the rabbit ears.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 26, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

The MLS tv feature online sucks. The afternoon game only shown on Telefutura is not included in the package. I see absolutely no value in buying that feature if I still can't watch an away game because it's on a Spanish language channel I don't even get at home.

Posted by: davethelad | April 26, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

(well, I do, but DirecTV blacks out any pro sports game on it).

Posted by: kdiff813 | April 26, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Huh?

I have DirecTV and I'm watching the game as we speak.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 26, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Hmm. Well, upon further review, I have discovered that I haven't actually purchased Telefutura at all! Funny. I do believe that was one of the channels my installation guy assured me I would get. Along with Setanta, which I also do not get.

Posted by: kdiff813 | April 26, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

And the link is still not working for me! I just get a picture of a gorilla with a camera. Super. And Ives picks the ONE game of the season not to do a match commentary for.

Man, everyone hates me today =(

Posted by: kdiff813 | April 26, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

@Kdiff813

If you have the local channels, then you should have Telefutura. Unless your mistaking it for Telemundo?

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 26, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Never mind, he just started late. Not EVERYONE hates me today. Just the majority.

Posted by: kdiff813 | April 26, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

@RedDevil1- I live in Rhode Island, so I think it may be different for me, because I just turned my TV to channel 408 (Telefutura), and it gave me the "You have not purchased this channel" message.

Posted by: kdiff813 | April 26, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

@ kdiff813

Oh OK, I just assumed that you lived in the DC area. I forget how many fans DC has across the whole universe. lol

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 26, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

GOAL WALLACE!

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | April 26, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Gooooolllll!!!

Thats how you do it. Great cross by Tino. When he is not hooting he is a darn fine player. Nice to Wallace open his account.

Posted by: fischy | April 26, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I live in the DC area. Verizon does not carry the Telefutura station.

Posted by: fischy | April 26, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Thanks!

Posted by: no_recess | April 26, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

DC's passing has been amazing so far

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | April 26, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

So, I assume it is like 110 degrees on that carpet., or more. It is like Bikram Yoga, not futbol.

As I said above, when he is not shooting, Quaranta is very good. When he is shooting, he sucks. At least, at this level.

Posted by: fischy | April 26, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

The ref should give a water break to these guys if it really is 110º there.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 26, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I think Ben Olsen realized that as he went down for 2-3mins as the rest of both teams cooled off/rehydrated

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | April 26, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

oooh, missed an empty net at the buzzer.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 26, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

so, I'm watching the game on livestream and my wife walks in and says, "oh, who are the guys in the VW shirts? they were on my flight to Newark yesterday." wait, what? seriously? you've been home for 9 hours and you are just telling me this NOW?

after cheerfully teasing her for a while about no photos, no autographs for our kids, etc., I began to wonder: DCU flies commercial? I would think a charter, the train, or even a bus would be more likely options. makes me think it was a group of supporters instead, but she said they were clearly athletes and were all lost in their ipods rather than hooting and hollering like supporters do.

Posted by: troy6 | April 26, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

by the way, for those watching the spanish language broadcast, how funny was it listening to the announcers being forced to list all of the candidates for the cutest MLS player award?

Posted by: troy6 | April 26, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Should be 3-0....NYRB's defense is hideous

Posted by: the_slammer | April 26, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Troy, MLS as a whole flies commercial. Last year NE players and staff stopped a guy from stripping down and jumping out of a plane. Ives recently said that they actually get to keep their frequent flier miles as a "perk".

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 26, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Olsen off. :(

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 26, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

50' Namoff clears one off the line; Jacobsen in for Olsen, who's looked uncomfortable all game.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 26, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

3rd empty net miss by DC...finish them them!

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | April 26, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

53' Jacobsen booked - doing his best to fill Benny's shoes it seems.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 26, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

another miss by emilio????

Posted by: Norteno4life | April 26, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Emilio should have scored there.

Posted by: alan19 | April 26, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Bench him til he gets a haircut.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 26, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Olsen off with an ankle injury. According to Telefutura.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 26, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

and he is supposed to be our DP

Posted by: Norteno4life | April 26, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Crayton is no good. He will not make it the whole season. Be prepared.

Posted by: alan19 | April 26, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Crayton with another wild attempt to get the ball and almost paid for it.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 26, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Crayton is not making a strong case for a new contract.

Posted by: fischy | April 26, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Between Wallace and Burch the left side is getting sloppy. NYRB are attacking it over + over

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 26, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

That was only a matter of time. A tie is not looking likely, either

Posted by: fischy | April 26, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

should have been 3-0 and now its 1-1 thanks emilio

whoops forgot santinos miss...

Posted by: Norteno4life | April 26, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

How do you leave their best player that poorly marked?

Posted by: fedssocr | April 26, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

he was actually marked pretty well, he pushed off on jakovic and got the advantage

Posted by: Norteno4life | April 26, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Is NYRB under some FIFA sanction that I didn't hear about that is forcing them to play in a closed stadium before no fans?

Posted by: diego_r | April 26, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

NYRB had a league match on the road Thursday. And they're not good. DCU has to take this one. Car #11, where are you?

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 26, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

They do finish their chances, though.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 26, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I think that's the last we're going to see of Marc Burch for a long time.

This should have been a 3 or 4 nothing blow out and instead we are going to lose. awful.

Posted by: diego_r | April 26, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

THIS MAY BE THE WORST HALF ON DEFENSE I HAVE EVER SEEN UNITED PLAY.

Posted by: fischy | April 26, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I don't see where another goal is going to come from now.

Posted by: fedssocr | April 26, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

My vote is for EMilio for Man of the Match, His superb play changed the game

Posted by: Norteno4life | April 26, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Jakovic is the weakest link

Posted by: fischy | April 26, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Crayton sucks.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 26, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

What was Burch playing at?

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 26, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

...at least Tino looks good.

Posted by: abgcunited11 | April 26, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

this is exactly what happens when you do not kill a match off.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 26, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

The Wallace-Burch combo is definitely not working as hoped. It's like the EZ Pass lane.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 26, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Jakovic isn't doing that bad, keeping Angel from climbing up your back and scoring isn't an easy task. The weakest link in this match has been Crayton.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 26, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Any live feed of the Freedom match?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 26, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

It will soon be time for Soehn to move along. Year in year out you keep getting sub standard goalkeeping...See what a difference a keeper like Kasey Keller makes! Invest the money and get a quality keeper, and that will mask whatever shortcomings the defense has...

Posted by: alan19 | April 26, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

LOL. Goff, you're great. "Plenty of seats available."

Considering Maryland United consistenly sells out their own stadium! :D

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 26, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

GOAl!!!!!!!!!!!! PONTIUS!!!!

Posted by: iammrben1 | April 26, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Goal!!!

UNbelievable, LOL.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 26, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

damn well deserved no question

Posted by: Norteno4life | April 26, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!
-max bretos

Posted by: abgcunited11 | April 26, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

boyzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Jaywag86 | April 26, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

OK, I never saw that comin'. Let's be smart now and not give it away

Posted by: fedssocr | April 26, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Sacked in the Morning
You're getting sacked in the morning
Sacked in the MORNING!!

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 26, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

We love you Khumalo. Oh yes we do.

Posted by: fischy | April 26, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Second goal was ALL Tino. Beautiful one-time-volley-through-ball-lob!

Posted by: hoyanick1 | April 26, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I don't see why people are saying Crayton sucked today. He has made a couple of good saves to keep the team in the game. NO keeper will save an open header like the one Angel had and on the other shot the defense didn't crash like the Red Bulls offense. Crayton made a good save before the second goal. Get off of his back.

Think of it this way, if we still had Wells we'd be down 3 goals.

OH YEA, AND THE LAST TWO GOALS HAVE COME THANKS TO BURCH CROSSES!

Posted by: pmtthree | April 26, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

soehn is a genius...............

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 26, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

haha Crayton's trying not to smile too broadly

Posted by: iammrben1 | April 26, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Boyzzz all is forgiven.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 26, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, not the third goal. That wasn't thanks to Burch. But the second was! My fault! :)

Posted by: pmtthree | April 26, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Vamos United!!! Can't believe we won this thing! Way to save that thing baby! Party boy with the GWG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Yeaaahh!!!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 26, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Frickin awesome

Posted by: rockotodd | April 26, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I feel dirty, but oh so good. Glad I didn't turn off the game.

Posted by: Wyrm1 | April 26, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

i agree crayton played fine. I didnt see how the goals were his fault. Both goal were well served balls, and well headed my JBA.

Also, much of our defensive problem come from the midfield. Our team shape through the midfield is rather poor. Everyone ball watches and gets beat on simply combination passes. If your midfield is poor, your back line will always be exposed.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 26, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

ahhhhahahahah classic dc/metro!!!

Posted by: the_slammer | April 26, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

very nice

Posted by: Pedalada | April 26, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I am amazed! But it still proves that we are strong through the first 45 minutes and last five minutes of a match -- but from the 46-85 we are horrible.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | April 26, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Tino made a great touch on that second goal, but there is a lot of credit to go around. The last 2 goals do not happen without the hustle of Barklage and, on the last one, Khumalo. But, give Pontius credit, too. With a defender charging him, he delivered a great pass across and upfield to Quaranta-- right on target. And, as I said above, Tino is great, when he is trying to create opportunities for others. Tino and Pontius both -- young, yet sublime players.

Posted by: fischy | April 26, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

We stole it!

Where would we be without Emilio? He plays hard all the way until the end!

Posted by: alan19 | April 26, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

No one blamed Crayton for the goals. Pay attention. We were criticizing the play where he came out and missed the ball -- and Goldthwaite missed an empty net header.

Posted by: fischy | April 26, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Umm, we should get rid of Emillio cause he's been the highest United scorer going on the 3rd season in a row!!! VAMMMOOOOSSS!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | April 26, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I think Emilio scores. Not all the ones he should, not all of them worth a search on the internet, but he scores them.

I hope Soehn Learns something from this match, and fixes problems, doesn't revert to saying "we fought our way back in, heart, tenacity." We should have won this one three to nothing.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 26, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Helluva day for DC teams against NY teams. Caps force game 7 against Rangers. Nats play their best game of the year, beatingup on the Mets. And, United puls off the most unlikely comeback in a long time.

Posted by: fischy | April 26, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Even with the result, I cant say that I like the way this team is playing. Lots of underlying problems with the defense/midfield.

Posted by: strago | April 26, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I think Soehn will get fired. Even though United got the win. But tell you the truth, DC appears to be a 1-half team. And DC needs alot of work coaching wise. Thats just to much for a team to give up two goals.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | April 26, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

yes, that cross to Goldthwaite scared the living daylights out of me. oh well. 3 points are 3 points. good comeback.

by the way, am I wrong, or did DC just sweep New York today?

Posted by: joshuaostevens | April 26, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear that the Nats pulled off a win in the NY area as well.
@Troy6: It was funny hearing them touch on the Cosmo girl thing.
Also nice to see Party Boy himself net the GWG. Hustle.
I won't discount any saves Crayton makes, he's just playing a bit soft. He's not fired up enough for my taste.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 26, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Well that was a fun game. I am encouraged by the new kids on the team. Barklage, Pontius, Wallace, Jacosen, and Jacovic. Tino had a very fine game. Emilio, typical poacher, lots of questionable play and then a goal from nowhere. And finally BOYZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Posted by: Liverbird | April 26, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Soehn is doing a good job right now managing young kids along with guys that are too old to play 90 minutes every game. This is a team that will be up and down most of the season, but could go on a run late in the year if we don't do something stupid like firing the coach. The players are playing hard for Tom and it would be upsetting to the team if Tom were fired mid-year. They make a lot of mistakes, but they also have the positive energy to come back from them. You lose that energy if you fire Soehn.

Posted by: mddeblois | April 26, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I don't think you're right about Soehn at all. I think he's a players coach who everyone likes, but he isn't instilling discipline or lighting a fire under their asses. His only saving grace, as far as I'm concerned, are the three draft picks, Pontius, Wallace, and Barklage.

DC Maybe making a late run in the playoffs, if we make the playoffs, should never be our ideal season. This game was exciting, but it shouldn't have been.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 26, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | April 26, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------

Seems to me it was in between the time Olsen came out (50) and Boyzz Khumalo came in (81). For that 30 min we had no sustained midfield flow. If we were ever close to cutting him, we dodged a bullet.

That said, though, take EVERYTHING that happened on that concrete crap in Giants Stadium with a HUGE grain of salt. That stuff destroys real soccer.

Posted by: stancollins | April 26, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

My cable goes out, I leave my apartment in disgust at the DCU loss, and come home two hours later to find out that we won. Crazy. Glad to see Santino having such a solid game.

I hope the FO is paying attention and are beginning to realize how important the MLS draft can be. It's amazing to think that we would have a much worse record without Pontius and Wallace

Posted by: diego_r | April 26, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Nice job by DCU to pull three points out of none against the Pink Cows.

Off topic, though, found this on Jose Romero's Sounders blog on the Seattle Times:

"(On whether playing at home is an advantage) 'Without a doubt. I think our guys continue to respond to the crowd, and that's tremendous. I think we got to sing 'The Blue Skies of Seattle' at the end of the game instead of at the beginning of the game, and sort of make it our slogan, like 'You'll Never Walk Alone' is for Liverpool. So maybe we need to - after victories - break out into song like that. But certainly, every time we step on the field, the atmosphere is electric and the crowd's behind us. It's the best home venue in the league. No offense, Toronto.'

"Will you volunteer to song lead? 'You don't want to hear me sing. But I'll sing along for sure.'"

I'm just loving how the league newbies are seemingly doing it right, both on the field and off.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 26, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

MSG Channel is wackjuice! They cut the game off at 4:50 with United down 2-1 to go to the Rangers post game lol.

Posted by: FatSickBoot | April 26, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

""My cable goes out, I leave my apartment in disgust at the DCU loss, and come home two hours later to find out that we won. Crazy""

Yeah, after the 2nd NYRB goal, I fast forwarded yellin at Tino for the missed sitter . . the ref for the missed PK on Emilio and to Wallace for the shot off the head and Crayton for poor control of the box . . ticked that we were going to give this to them . . until Lucho's goal . . . SWEET!

This win is way overdue for this team, but sometimes it's good when teams have to work so hard for it.

Posted by: delantero | April 26, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

""A chance to win passes for you and a friend to go down to the field after the game and get the jersey off of Chris Pontius' or Devon McTavish’s back!""

How many chicks going to pull off a sweat stained soccer jersey? I'll take the free Chipotle coupon though . .

Posted by: delantero | April 26, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

How either team didn't get heatstroke out there I dunno. That field was an oven. Up where us SEs and BBs were, at least there was shade. You wanna talk about a TOTAL reversal in attitude in the nosebleed seats where the Pink Cow Management put us, we went from slightly loud to ROARINGLY loud in the blink of an eye.

Got off the bus and was home in time to watch the highlights on FSC. Nats win, Caps win and DCU wins? All on the same day? In Noo Yawk? The only reason I'll wake up tomorrow morning and not think it was all a dream will be my hoarse voice. :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | April 26, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Delantero: you'd be suprised. I can't believe they didn't convince benny to join in though, they'd sell mad tickets.

Also, after years of neglecting the draft, can we at least take a moment to acknowledge the 09 draft class? All three of them were integral to this comeback. Shame barklage is so old though.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | April 27, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

From the highlights, this looks like it was United's most exciting game of the year so far, by far. I was following by matchtracker on my cell... WOW was I surprised the last two times I refreshed

Posted by: carmines757 | April 27, 2009 1:23 AM | Report abuse