Matchnight #3: United-Dynamo

Greetings from RFK.

Heavenly weather for a D.C. United home match? A pleasant surprise. Of course, it's also cherry blossom season in the nation's capital, which means unbearable traffic on bridges, around the Mall and Capitol Hill. If you are on your way in a combustible engine vehicle, beware!

DCU under-16s facing a Real Madrid youth squad in the preliminary game. I will provide updates on Twitter. [Update: Real wins, 1-0, on a goal early in the second half. Iyassu Bekele, a small, quick midfielder/forward from Arlington with a strong foot, was impressive for DCU, which had several quality chances in the first half.]

Read the full RFK weather forecast from the Capital Weather Gang.

Read about United's first-round draft picks, Rodney Wallace and Chris Pontius.

Back later with United's lineup.....

DCU LINEUP: Crayton; Namoff, Jakovic, Burch; Pontius, Simms, Olsen, Gomez, Wallace; N'Silu, Emilio. Subs: Kocic, Janicki, DiRaimondo, Barklage, Fred, Khumalo, Moreno. (McTavish and Quaranta remain sidelined.)

As usual, this is the gathering spot for pregame, in-game and postgame discussion.

By Steve Goff  |  April 4, 2009; 5:05 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Villarreal for All-Stars?
Next: United Rewind

Comments

In other news, sure looks like the Sounders are for real, even without Fredy.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | April 4, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: notafembot | April 4, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Let's recruit those DC Armor fans - ask them to come check out DCU!

Posted by: Pedalada | April 4, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

NotAFemBot...

I am planning on using channelsurfing.net

Most of the time that works out for me.

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | April 4, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

N'Silu starts! Cool..

(thanks for the website, kennyisbigk911!)

DC's site has Moreno up top..

Posted by: StewartDC8 | April 4, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Wait, I see they changed it now..

Posted by: StewartDC8 | April 4, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

No problem.

Anyone wanna school me on who DiRaimondo is? I read INSIDER everyday and cant for the life of me remember who he is, what/where he plays, and were he came from?

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | April 4, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

He was waived by Colorado, we just picked him up recently. he's a midfielder but i've never seen him play so i don't know about him. Maybe DC sees potential in him, like Burch..

Posted by: StewartDC8 | April 4, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Kenny, DiRaimondo played with the Crapids in 2008, and was released just a couple of weeks ago. He played in the midfield for them, best as I recall.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | April 4, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Ah. Maybe Gomez told them to get him.. Hopefully we go up by 5 early and we can get a look at him.

VAMOS!

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | April 4, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

N'Silu's starting, so it'll be good to get a look at him too. could be a good match-up against Houston's D...

Posted by: StewartDC8 | April 4, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

I hope N'Silu runs right through Bobby.

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | April 4, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Goff just reported that 12,000 for tonight.

Wow, where are the fans? It was beautiful today? What is going on?

Animosity over Stadium? Final Four? What could be going on.

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | April 4, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, final four, nationals, new "foot"ball team the DC Armor. Are the capitals playing too?
but yeah, that's pretty bad.

Posted by: StewartDC8 | April 4, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

That's also why it's not on TV tonight...
at least that's what i assume..

COME ON UNITED!!

Posted by: StewartDC8 | April 4, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Wizards are playing, that's blocking the DCU television. 12,000 is pathetic considering conditions.

Posted by: evwill | April 4, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

I have a hard time believing people are choosing the DC Armor over United? Caps aren't playing today. Wizards are at the Phone Booth tonight, maybe Gil is stealing all our fans.

Oh well, the true fans will always be there. (Unless they move to PG county :-P)

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | April 4, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

FYI, the Armor are running way late. Scheduled kickoff 7 p.m., game still hasn't started yet.

Posted by: evwill | April 4, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. 16 games are covered. Annoyed? why, yes I am!

And I would really like to know why Moreno isn't in the lineup. Soehn would probably just lie if we asked, but not well enough to hide the subterfuge.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 4, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Its good to see N'Silu have a chance. We have had trouble scoring for a few years now with Moreno up top. Hes great, I love him, but, we have to try other line-ups. Maybe having him come up the bench works better. If N'Silu is garbage, we can give Tommy the crap. Right now, lets see if this works out first.

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | April 4, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

""Can anyone find one of those sketchy foreign internet sites that will have the match?""

rojadirecta.com has the Gals vs the Rapids (no United yet) or, you can catch the following Guatemalan Clausura match: . . . . .
Suchitepequez v. Xinabajul

Posted by: delantero | April 4, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Channelsurfing.net is working!

VAMOS UNITED

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | April 4, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Uh, Seattle is now definitely looking like the real thing . . no Montero and an away win at Toronto . .

Posted by: delantero | April 4, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Wallace looking pretty fast on the wing. NICE.

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | April 4, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Kenny thanks for the tip! Great site.

WTF was Jakovich doing?

Posted by: bighungry | April 4, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

mlsnet video is not working for me - i cannot select the game - is anyone able to get the game on line?

Posted by: kramva | April 4, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sold on Jakovich.

Kramva.. I dont use mlsnet video but, channelsurfing.net has a game feed, its a houston feed, but, you can see the game

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | April 4, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

how can I get tony limarzi or a local audio feed online? I don't like these houston announcers.

Posted by: getanewnumber10 | April 4, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

yeah this video feed is sweet.
No chat at DC United.com or anything. too bad.

Posted by: StewartDC8 | April 4, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

The announcer just called the barra, eagles, and la norte.. rooter groups?

Ha. I feel bad for what Houston has.

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | April 4, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

We're doing pretty good. N'Silu looks good...
Good ball in by Burch, Pontius header goes over.

Posted by: StewartDC8 | April 4, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I don't think this analyst knows what he's talking about.

Posted by: StewartDC8 | April 4, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Is there an award for most boring game of the year?

This one takes the cake by a mile.

Though I suppose if Colorado and Chivas played to a 0-0 draw at the Dick on a 90 degree summer day with about 17 people in the stands, that would possibly surpass tonight's snoozer.

Posted by: kdiff813 | April 4, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I didn't think it was that bad. N'Silu nearly got a goal right at the end of halftime.
Come on United, this is for the taking.

Posted by: StewartDC8 | April 4, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

What is up with all the people happy N'Silu starting? Are you kidding? Why would you want the all time leading scorer in MLS history on the bench? I am tired of Tommy Soehn. I liked Pontius starting at forward. Maybe Fred will come on at halftime.

Posted by: no_recess | April 4, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Moreno's not as young as he used to be, Soehn's managing his minutes. He can have more of an impact when he's facing tired defenders.

Anyone know why Dominic Kinnear got red carded during their last game? yelling at the ref or something?

Posted by: StewartDC8 | April 4, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Could we be the first team in MLS history to go undefeated and still miss the playoffs?

Perhaps DC United and Houston Dynamo are doing a metaphorical representation of a performance art piece tonight called: "DC United's quest for a new stadium"

zzzz

Posted by: diego_r | April 4, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the site tip, Kenny! I owe ya.

As for United, what's the longest we've held the ball? 8 seconds? Is Houston's D that tough? Please bring in Fred's magic and Jaime's calm.

Posted by: notafembot | April 4, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

excellent goal !!!

Posted by: diego_r | April 4, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

That was some stellar marking by Bobby Boswell. Now, let's absorb the pressure for the next 10 to 15 minutes and then add another.

Posted by: diego_r | April 4, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

What's the dealio Luciano Emilio!

Great goal. What a composed lob!

Posted by: StewartDC8 | April 4, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I think Bryan Namoff just used one of those moves from the Fairfield Inn commercial to save DCU a goal.

Posted by: diego_r | April 4, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I have a question. What in the world is a kolache?

Posted by: osgoodfan | April 4, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Straight red for Moreno!

Posted by: Reignking | April 4, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Wow! that is questionable. Leave it to MLS officiating to suck sh#t!!! So is it safe to assume since the league is expanding that the officiating will become even more questionable.

Posted by: no_recess | April 4, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

I think the ref has been drinking Sauza tequilla!

Posted by: no_recess | April 4, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Jaime had no chance at that ball. The right call.

Posted by: Reignking | April 4, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

What did Moreno do to deserve the red? I'm watching on my computer and the stream froze at the wrong time.

Posted by: Chewie- | April 4, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Where is this game being shown for free?

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | April 4, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

channelsurfing.net

Jaime came from behind in the middle of the field and just swept his feet from him. I don't know why he did it -- he had zero chance of getting to the ball.

Posted by: Reignking | April 4, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

It's not. I purchased the subscription through MLSNet.com to watch the season on my computer.

Posted by: Chewie- | April 4, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Jaime had no chance at that ball. The right call.

Posted by: Reignking | April 4, 2009 9:09 PM

You need a replay buddy! It was from the side and it wasn't that harsh of a challenge. I have seen several challenges from Houston that were worse.

Posted by: no_recess | April 4, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

channelsurfing.net came up blank for me. IS the score 1-0 United?

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | April 4, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Yes, 1-0.

Try http://www.channelsurfing.net/watch-wabuk-4.html

Wo! Houston close from 20. Holden.

Posted by: Reignking | April 4, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Houston's play-by-play guy isn't awful by any means, but man, are we lucky to have Dave Johnson or what?

As for the red card, it was definitely a stupid tackle. I'm dubious that it's a straight red, but the call isn't completely outrageous.

Posted by: ricky_b | April 4, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

channelsurfing.net came up blank for me. IS the score 1-0 United?

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | April 4, 2009 9:16 PM
Keep scrolling to the bottom of the page and the games are listed by time.

Posted by: no_recess | April 4, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand why the ref was yelling at Fred when he was in the back of Cory Ashe, he was being obstructed by Ashe when he was chasing the ball, that's ridiculous.

Posted by: StewartDC8 | April 4, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Now who wants to complain Moreno didnt start when he makes such a dumb red card foul like that?

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | April 4, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

3 left, in stoppage.

Posted by: Reignking | April 4, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow, goal cleared off the line from a corner...

Posted by: Reignking | April 4, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

DC wins. Crayton has a shutout.

Posted by: Reignking | April 4, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

3 points.

VAMOS UNITED

It was ugly, but we take them anyway they come.

And seeing Boswell cost them the goal is that much more sweet.

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | April 4, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | April 4, 2009 9:23 PM
And what did N'Silu provide? However, I think you may have been right about the red. That is not something Moreno is known for. Anyway no use to cry over spilled milk...we won!!!

Posted by: no_recess | April 4, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Yes! Win and a shutout. Good win against a good team. Although Glen Davis didn't think we were very good... not that anything he said made sense anyways..

Posted by: StewartDC8 | April 4, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

3 points and the clean sheet playing with ten for 20 minutes? I'll take it. Another good sign for the team, last year we fold under that pressure, especially without Jaime. Glad the young players are holding up well, we're going to need their lungs next week at rio tinto.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | April 4, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Hey!!

If we're a slow starting team, I'd rather start with no losses and a few good goals from Emilio, and our rookies playing well (speed and goal of the week, anyone?)

Also, we don't even have all our starters yet!

Now, I'm not saying we're going to stroll into the playoffs, but at least we're not falling apart.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 4, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

If you've got a good defense, you can go a long ways in this league. I'm not arguing that our defense is great by any means at this point. But our "D" is much improved over last season. The post about how we'd have found a way to lose it in the last 20 minutes with last year's team is so spot-on.

Also, Emilio, 2 goals in 2 games. For goal scorers, confidence is everything. When Emilio scores it becomes contagious for him and begats even more scoring. So this is a very good sign.

As for Houston, I'm just not very impressed. Don't get me wrong, they're a good team. But I think they will finish behind Seattle, RSL and maybe Chivas in the West. And with possibly 5 teams from the East making the playoffs, I don't think it's that far-fetched to see Houston staying home (I know, I know, it's early to be making these kind of predictions).

Posted by: JoeW1 | April 4, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Hope no-one had Hesmer on a fantasy team this week. He had two assists :-)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 4, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Also, for those hating on why Jaime didn't get the start, think TACTICS! Houston has a slow backline that has been bedeviled by speed (think of last year's playoffs against the Red Bulls). N'Silu is a heck of a lot faster than Jaime Moreno. I love Jaime and think he's still invaluable to this team. But Houston is one team I want to start some speed against. Even if your "speed" player doesn't do anything individually, it affects how Houston's defense responds (by providing more support on that side, sagging off other players).

Posted by: JoeW1 | April 4, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

I did.

At least Hesmer has a second game to make up for it.

Posted by: Reignking | April 4, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

talk about snooze fest...
zzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: abgcunited11 | April 4, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Joe: I think the defense is more resiliant than last year, two goals conceded in the run of play against three good offensive teams ain't bad at all (I consider the pk to be non-relevant to the defense. And one of those was a weak mistake by our backup keeper. Considering that the defense is young and new mostly, I'll take that (who would have thought seriously that we would have given up so few in these three games a month ago?

Posted by: joshuaostevens | April 4, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

this was a classic Crayton shutout from last year. We didn't play well. They played worse. We were at home. It's a DCU victory.

A good team would have won this game by a lot more. However, given the number of rookies we were starting (three + 1 newcomer) we definitely have the time to gel into a better team.

I'm a critic of Sohen's but I'll give him some credit for doing things like taking Gomez out before 60 minutes is up and not starting Jaime. I'm still not sure he has a game plan but at least he can make some less than popular decisions.

This team still needs a right-winger

Posted by: diego_r | April 4, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

I thought tonight was a pretty good tactical decision on Tommys part and could have been the new vision for United. I thought that Toomy was trying Fred for Gomez to see if Fred could take CAM position. Get him 30 minutes, see if he could take the postion, then if it worked, start subbing in Gomez and Moreno at the 60 minute mark in future matches. This, I think would be a great way to transition to a new youth movement while still using our valuable duo in Gomez and Moreno. This would also make it tougher for opposing coaches to sub in an offensive player when they'd have to counter against 2 fresh, explosive offensive players. Unfortunately, the red to Jaimie put that experiment on hold for at least a couple of games.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | April 4, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Fred subbed in for Gomez, but immediately went to the wing position. Pontius played more centrally at that point.

It didn't strike me as effective, although Fred was active on the wing...

Posted by: JkR- | April 4, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

Don't fret about the crowd too much. We're only a month away from the Nationals being out of any MLB race, the Lerner family not paying rent on the stadium again, the end of Hockey season, the end of basketball season, etc.

It's the economy, it's the team from the last two years, and a fairly crowded 3 week start to MLS.

As this team bonds and solidifies we'll see what happens.

It's time for Victor to go to the White House and pitch Poplar Point as a project for the Omnibus and the stimulus spending....

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 4, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Wondering if casey will be called again for the national team? he just scored a hat trick and i must say he is the face of colorado, without them they would be, worse than they are(is that possible)

What a finish on the 3rd goal, cool calm and collected

Posted by: Norteno4life | April 5, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Only 12,000? Wow -- that lower bowl really hides it well. Felt more like 17,000.

The last five minutes of the game were pretty intense over on the BB/SE side. The stands were jumping from the 88' all the way to the final whistle.

It sure was fun to yell "BOB-by BOS-well!" right after Emilio's goal... :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | April 5, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Check out some of our photos from the game.

Posted by: Clarkallen | April 5, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

MLSnet.com has the video highlights from CSN -- I mean, Houston's TV network:

Posted by: Juan-John | April 5, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse

straight red for Moreno was beyond correct.
Ben Olsen was my man of the match, big ugly american game.
Loved every second of it.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 5, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

also was a tad bit enamored by the Real Madrid youth squad up in the 300's . My too blitzed for television acompanyment missed the show hiding...I was star struck to see them all in their wintery Real Madrid jackets, while i got chilly in my rags..Screw Houston! eh? stupid chick fans trying to lash out at old dadio!!! weird..oh

Posted by: DadRyan | April 5, 2009 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Why would you want the all time leading scorer in MLS history on the bench?
========================

because he doesn't have the legs to go 90 and he's more effective coming on at 60 or so, as needed

Posted by: OWNTF | April 6, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse