Matchnight: USA-T&T

Greetings again from Music City.

Gorgeous, 68-degree, cloudless day in central Tennessee.

Americans vs. Soca Warriors at LP Field
Kickoff: 7:57 p.m. ET
TV: ESPN2, Galavision.
Attendance: Perhaps 25,000?

Other CONCACAF matches:
Mexico at Honduras, 9:30 (Telemundo)
El Salvador at Costa Rica, 10

I will be back later with the USA lineup and reserves (four of the 22 players will not be in uniform).

UPDATE: Adu, Pearce, Spector and Califf not in uniform.

USA LINEUP: Howard; Hejduk, Onyewu, Bocanegra, Beasley; Dempsey, Mastroeni, Bradley, Donovan; Altidore, Ching. Subs: Guzan, DeMerit, Bornstein, Kljestan, Edu, Torres, Johnson.

As usual, this is the gathering place for pregame, in-game and postgame discussion. Feel free to comment on other qualifiers taking place around the globe as well.

By Steve Goff  |  April 1, 2009; 3:33 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , CONCACAF , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gold Cup, World Cup, FC N.Y.
Next: Video: Bolivia 6, Argentina 1

Comments

25,000 would be pretty cool -- bigger draw than the Cuba game here, no?

Posted by: fischy | April 1, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

fisch...

Tonight > Cuba
Tonight

Posted by: Kev29 | April 1, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

That Russia - Liechtenstein scoreline is a shocker....

Posted by: cray | April 1, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Whoops - code FAIL

Meant to say that RFK will get a better crowd than 25k for Costa Rica in the Fall. And the Cuba match last year...

Oct. 11
Cuba
6-1 W
Washington, D.C.
20,293

Posted by: Kev29 | April 1, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

If I leave now I could still make it...

Posted by: Reignking | April 1, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Whoa - Bolivia one-nil up v Argentina (at home, granted)

Posted by: Kev29 | April 1, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait to hate the line up.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 1, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

ESPN has the Spain score wrong -- it is 1-1. Uzulmez hand ball to block torres' corner kick goal -- and no red.

Posted by: Reignking | April 1, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Here you go Reignking - much better...

Posted by: Kev29 | April 1, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

21:59 Fin partido

¡SE ACABOOOOOOOOO! TURQUÍA 1-2 ESPAÑA
92'

Güiza le gana la partida a su par por listo y cede a Riera, que bate por bajo a Volkan. ¡Vivaaaaaaaaaaa Españaaaaaaaaa!
92' Gol GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL DE ESPAÑAAAAAAAAAAAA. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL DE RIERA. TURQUÍA 1-2 ESPAÑA.

Posted by: Reignking | April 1, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Poland 8 San Marino nil

Still 20 minutes left :-O

Posted by: Kev29 | April 1, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope they put everybody in the lower bowl...

Posted by: Juan-John | April 1, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

9 - and counting...

Posted by: Kev29 | April 1, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Germany 2 Wales 0

Awesome goal by Ballick. 72 minutes in.

Posted by: blackandred777 | April 1, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

10-nil

Posted by: Kev29 | April 1, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Bolivia 3-1 up v Argentina. Interesting day thus far

Posted by: Kev29 | April 1, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Bolivia 3-1 up v Argentina.

===

Quick! Someone get the Argentines some O2 tanks!

Posted by: mason08 | April 1, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Italy 1 Ireland 1!

Irish were up a man for 88 minutes, so they actually could have done better. Great match.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 1, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

10-nil

Posted by: Kev29 | April 1, 2009 4:20 PM

San Marino hates football.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 1, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Nice Goff! Read 19,500 tix sold on USSF's website. The field looked beautiful on the vids. Very excited for tonight match! Thanks!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 1, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

dc united game sold out?

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 1, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Online watching: I know this gets asked every game, but I don't have cable and can't get access to ESPN360 where I live. Any reliable online sources?

Posted by: sawyers100 | April 1, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Argentina now getting slaughtered. 4-1, watch out Diego, the knives could come out (even for you)

Posted by: Kev29 | April 1, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

sawyers:

google tvu networks..

download their player.... am able to get FSC, GOL, and a couple other asian and european channels that cover games.

also google TV ants.... download their player...
they usually have all the Setantas (Canadian, US and several UK feeds)

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | April 1, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

@sawyers100

you can try rojadirecta.com

Posted by: jezz | April 1, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

dc united game sold out?

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 1, 2009 4:50 PM

Hunh?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 1, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

The Argentine press has got to be slobbering all over themselves. Barring a comeback of miraculous proportions, Maradona's gonna have a rough week.

Posted by: Kenobi | April 1, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I predict complaining about La Paz's 12,000 ft altitude. Nevermind that the Bolivians played in the same thin air.

Posted by: mason08 | April 1, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Germany 2 Wales 0 Final

Netherlands 1 Macedonia 0 19 minutes in

Posted by: blackandred777 | April 1, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

5-1 BOL:ARG

Posted by: mason08 | April 1, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Netherlands 1 Macedonia 0 19 minutes in

Posted by: blackandred777

I could tell you the score 90 minutes in...

Posted by: Reignking | April 1, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Ribery rescues France and Domenech yet again...

Posted by: Reignking | April 1, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

The excuse is always the altitude. I talked to a Brazilian at the gym yesterday who tried to explain away the tie with Ecuador by blaming the altitude.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | April 1, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

reign... how do you figure he 'rescued' them?

looking at the numbers the game was in france's pocket....
He scored the winning goal yes, but hardly rescued them

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | April 1, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

You have to score to win bonghits - and France really had to win. Draw would have kept them 3rd with half the matches played. Rescued seems appropriate to me.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 1, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

you definitly do need to score to win bonghits!!

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | April 1, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget Russia has a population advantage over Liechtenstien. But they could complain about the altitude in the Alpine passes.

Argentina is getting spanked but Maradona is probably untouchable. At least for another round of qualifiers. The Argies spanked Venezuela on the weekend in Maradona's qualifying debut. Quick reversals of fortune from one game to the next for many teams...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 1, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I am really confused.

Posted by: Reignking | April 1, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

UPDATE: Adu, Pearce, Spector and Califf not in uniform.

Apparently we are playing a 2-7-1 tonight :)

Posted by: Reignking | April 1, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

That Bolivia-Argentina score is crazy. Altitude might be worth a goal in Bolivia's favor, but 5-1 is 5-1 anywhere in the world.

The game between the Koreas this morning was interesting. South Korea had over 70% of the possession, but kept running out of ideas in the attacking third or missing on shots that were hopeful at best. North Korea, meanwhile, had a header that might have crossed the line before being pushed away by Lee Woon-Jae (who, I believe, has been South Korea's keeper for at least 11 years now). In the end, it took a free kick taking a deflection off the North's captain's hand to give the South the win. The game, frankly, resembled an MLS game minus each team's classiest attacking player (imagine, say, KC without Lopez playing Chivas without Kljestan).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 1, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Chest:

This is why I don't worry that much whenever I hear griping about the level of play in the US and CONCACAF. For as poor as it is here compared to Europe, it's still better than many of the Asian domestic leagues and the AFC.

Posted by: mason08 | April 1, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

BO BO BO LI LI LI VIA VIA VIA VIVA BOLIVIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!! 6 to 1, SKUNK!! Lol ooooooh man im jacked up right now, can't wait for all them La Paz 'haters' to start their whinin lol! Now if the US can play a complete game without that half-a$$ed effort in ES i'll be the happiest man alive today!!!....oh and United finally gettin a freakin stadium would just be icing on the cake as well haha!

Posted by: DjB55 | April 1, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Adu not in the 18. Where have I seen that before?

Posted by: OWNTF | April 1, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

(imagine, say, KC without Lopez playing Chivas without Kljestan).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwel

Hopefully, we don't have to "imagine" USA without Kljestan tonight.

Posted by: Reignking | April 1, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

6-1... no april fool's...

That Maradona can really coach 'em up!

Posted by: cray | April 1, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Since El Salvador, we've been talking about four players, three to start and one to see time. Spector, Altidore, Torres, and Adu.

Two of them have been scratched. Including the player we all wish was on the bench the Last time around. The man is damaging my calm.

Bradley, if you start Beasley, you need to be hospitalized.

Let's wait and see.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 1, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Argentina's loss is God punishing everyone who voted for them in the bracket (and showing maradona's true colors as a manager).

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | April 1, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

OK, I'm starting to be a BB hater.

Looks like another unbalanced line-up (no LB cover, unless DMB starts there and Bornstein is on the bench.

I'll wait for the lineup before I go ape-sh!t, however.

Posted by: TrueCrew | April 1, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Bornstein has to start, right?

I don't care about Adu right now...

Posted by: Reignking | April 1, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

bonghits4gomez @ 5:28... :-D

Posted by: Kev29 | April 1, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

WOOHOO! Jozy!

Ives has the starting lineup.

Posted by: Reignking | April 1, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

So with Adu and 3 defenders off the roster, I guess that means Eddie Johnson's return is complete. Excellent.

Posted by: benonthehill | April 1, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Guess so RK....either that or hes going to put DMB in the back.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | April 1, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand how Adu even gets a call up with the little time he gets playing with his club. He should not be in the squad at the moment.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 1, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Sigh...DMB at left back, Spector not in uniform. Sure, why try a Premiership defender at left back when you have a midfielder riding the bench in Scotland instead!

Posted by: icehippo | April 1, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

There should be a feed at justin.tv

Posted by: CYork1 | April 1, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Looks like I was right....DMB at left back.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | April 1, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

"Adu, Pearce, Spector and Califf not in uniform."

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise. Bornstein getting called in pretty much ensured that Pearce was not playing tonight. Califf was very poor, so that's a correct decision from Bradley. Adu's lack of time and Spector being out for so long probably explain those two, though I'd have really liked to see Spector get some time for us.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 1, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I just noticed that Setanta is replaying the France-Lithuania match w/o commentary, why can't we have the option to leave out the commentary in games. It makes the game much more enjoyable.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 1, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

What's the over/under as far as when Pablo picks up a horrible yellow card either just outside or inside the box? I'm saying 56th minute.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | April 1, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Found this on Ives site -- a documentary in progress: The Soccer Project.

This is great...

Posted by: fischy | April 1, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

I hope Freddy makes a move this summer and starts playing. He has sooooo much potential to develop into the kind of star that our program needs. I am really disappointed with his situation in France, and I was disappointed to see him not in uniform for both games during this international window.

Besides that, I really am interested in seeing how Beasley does at left back. I'm one of those guys who thinks that he could be great there (I mean world class). He has pace, vision, and instincts.

Posted by: davethelad | April 1, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Are you sure DMB goes to left back, or are we looking at the 3-5-2 formation?

Posted by: Truck | April 1, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I'd be shocked if it is a 3-5-2 formation. If Bradley were to change from the empty bucket, a 4-5-1 would make more sense.

Posted by: Truck | April 1, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

I hope he's in the back. But either way the lineup looks pretty good.

I would so much rather see Ching out and Donovan up top. Then put in Torres or Adu (I know he's not an option). Ching does a lot of great things for the team, but I think we have better options.

Posted by: davethelad | April 1, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Fire Bob Bradley.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 1, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

I think Spector would be in tonight if Pearce hadn't been torched on that side against T&T last time we saw them. Also, we saw how long it took to drop EJ from the lineup when he was slumping before, so I didn't think we'd see DMB relegated to the bench that quickly.

Edu will come on for whoever gets their reckless yellow first - Bradley or Mastro. Torres will give Dempsey a spell in the 60th or 70th. The GAM will trot on for Altidore, who hasn't seen a full 90 in a looong time.

Posted by: MK27 | April 1, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

I got 35 minutes on the under for Pablo's yellow card

Can someone explain to me, how we are better than four years ago?

Posted by: diego_r | April 1, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Fire Bora! I've had it with him...

Fire Arena, too!

And, don't get me started about Sampson...

Ww need to clear out such dead wood and hire a savvy dude, like Bob Bradley.

Posted by: fischy | April 1, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

How are we better? Donovan's better. Our central defense is much better because both Boca and Gooch have improved. Having Jozy can make us much better. Dempsey keeps getting better. Bradley is an improvement. Howard should be a step up from Keller.

It's also a deeper team, I think. Torres will add interesting possibilities. As Sacha grows up, he will also add to the team's options.

Losing McBride up top hurts -- a lot -- but I think the team is better in almost every other aspect.

Posted by: fischy | April 1, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Chile's down to 10 men! I hope they hold on for the tie. A loss would have them squarely fighting for the fifth place playoff spot.

Posted by: diego_r | April 1, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

The FIFA Fair Play song sounds like it belongs at the Epcot parade.

Posted by: MK27 | April 1, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Bob Bradley is showing great ingenuity that Bruce Arena never had. I mean who would have thought of playing a left midfielder at left fullback?

oh, Eddie Lewis was a midfielder? Never mind...

I've been hoping for a solid left fullback since seeing the debacle of David Regis years ago. You would think that US Soccer would be funding left back clinics like there is no tomorrow.

Posted by: diego_r | April 1, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Shaka Hislop on ESPN2! Does anybody remember watching Hislop him play in goal for Howard University in the 80's?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | April 1, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

@Fischy - does this mean we won't crash out in the first round of the World Cup?

Posted by: diego_r | April 1, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

So much for the silver jersey everyone was hyping up...

Posted by: MK27 | April 1, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

I get dibbs on Beasley failing.

Honestly, I hope I'm wrong, and that his Horrible showing last match was only a nightmare.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 1, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

I really don't have a good feeling about this game. Then again, that's how I usually feel before a US game.

Posted by: EssEff | April 1, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Game on! USA 2-0. No Mastroeni YC. Donovan YC - 28" - pulls off jersey after goal to reveal PoopyMcPoop tatoo.

Posted by: MR1Caretaker | April 1, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

I want to see Dempsey play with some passion tonight.

Posted by: MK27 | April 1, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

TIMMMAY!

Posted by: MK27 | April 1, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

BEAUTIFUL play by Ching - to Donovan - GOLTIDORE!

Posted by: MK27 | April 1, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Great play on that attack by Donovan and the forwards

Posted by: carmines757 | April 1, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Cheeky back-heel, that.

Posted by: MK27 | April 1, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

any body want to hate on Ching?

Posted by: VTUnited | April 1, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a Ching-hater, but he's definitely lost something. (I know, some will probably say he never had anything). And, I'm not a Cooper fanboy, but I can't help but think he'd be a better option.

Anyone think the ball looks extra bouncey tonight? Yes, I'm sober.

They really need to finish these guys off.

Posted by: EssEff | April 1, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

You hate him when actually has to score on his own. Now that we have a finisher in there, I can start to appreciate his other contributions.

When the scoring threat wasn't there, it threw a wrench in the works.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 1, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I bet Jozy's off at halftime. He looks gassed already.

Posted by: EssEff | April 1, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

and I don't think hes (Ching) great, but I appreciate his effort and work rate. I hope Cooper can be a bettter player, but from a similar mold.

Posted by: VTUnited | April 1, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Gee, that's funny. Altidore never plays for his club, but gets a start and...scores!

Adu, however, is apparently held to a different standard. The boneheads here whining about a lack of Adu's time...what about MLSers who've barely played in months? At least he's been training at a high level and is fit. And how the hell do Kljestan (I guess two sucky performances are greater than none) and Johnson merit spots on the bench while Adu, who's only ever been very dangerous in his appearances, isn't "mature" enough.

Bradley, thanks for confirming all my opinions of you. I'm looking forward to a class coach someday. Bradley's not it.

Posted by: defpotec | April 1, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Also, Mastro and Bradley starting...do we really need three more mids that can step into those roles (Torres, Edu - oh, who barely ever plays for Rangers - and Kljestan - who's sucked lately) on the bench?

It's amazing that lack of playing time doesn't matter for Johnson, Edu, etc., but it does for Freddy.

Can you tell I'm ticked?

Posted by: defpotec | April 1, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Altidore puts it over from 2 yards out!

Posted by: MK27 | April 1, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

To be fair, it took an odd hop. But he should do better with those. Good cross from Donovan

Posted by: carmines757 | April 1, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Jozy's looking disappointed - I think he knows he's off at the half.

Posted by: MK27 | April 1, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

All in all, I'd agree that Altidore has a lot to learn. While he starting in every game he is available.

His passing needs some tuning, but his vision is good. But you can't argue with the finishing. (And Every star has a few spectacular misses).

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 1, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

how much can this BOTERO be worth can DC just get this guy and get rid of moreno?? come on he plays for correcaminos, What the h is that? a running team?

Posted by: Norteno4life | April 1, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

===

Think of it as Caution insurance.

Posted by: mason08 | April 1, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Jozy's looking disappointed - I think he knows he's off at the half.

===

I'd be disappointed too if I missed from two yards out.

Posted by: mason08 | April 1, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what Shaka thought of that "JV" comment...

Posted by: MK27 | April 1, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

It might have been shown before, but that's the first time I've seen the "Over There" commercial. I like it.

Posted by: Hokienautic | April 1, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hokienautic | April 1, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Why do people wear English club jerseys to a USA WC Qualifier?

How hard is it to wear something red, white, and blue instead of your Chelsea replica?

Posted by: bluesfan1 | April 1, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't mind someone looking up and taking a shot on goal - mix up the attack a little.

Posted by: MK27 | April 1, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Make up call.

Posted by: MK27 | April 1, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

GOALTIDORE!!

Posted by: MK27 | April 1, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Nice tackle by the Dude.

Posted by: MK27 | April 1, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey, everyone. Sitting overseas and can't get the live feed of the match. What's the score and who is doing it? Updates most welcome...

Posted by: bartapest1 | April 1, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Torres gets to play some soccerball.

Posted by: MK27 | April 1, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

2-0 USA - both goals by Altidore.

Posted by: MK27 | April 1, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

The US has no problems beating weaker opponents on US soil (see Gold Cup ad infinitum).

I still think the main question for US Soccer is "how do we make the next step?" and this is a question that I think is still unanswered

Posted by: diego_r | April 1, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Kljestan on for Dempsey.

Posted by: MK27 | April 1, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Great time for the US subs...

Posted by: sitruc | April 1, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Jozy Sasha Torres Donovan nothing

Posted by: sitruc | April 1, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Hat trick

Posted by: sitruc | April 1, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

GOALTIDORE - HATTRICK!

Posted by: MK27 | April 1, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Should have been stopped. Bradley fumbled the ball to LD who got it to Jozy. lol

Posted by: sitruc | April 1, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Final
3-0

I can't believe I typed "lol."

Anyways, Bradley nearly made a mess of the ball to Donovan who gave up an easy goal for his third assist. I like seeing the US take it easy and it's hard to say this with 3 goals, but I want more goals.

Posted by: sitruc | April 1, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Who still thinks Jozy should have gone off at half time?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 1, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Altidore could be the future. Now we just need Adu to start clicking

Posted by: carmines757 | April 1, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Great job in the interview by Jozy. He didn't take any bait or take cheap shots at Bradley. He also respected the opponent.

Posted by: sitruc | April 1, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Does Heydude ever keep his shirt on after a match?

Posted by: sitruc | April 1, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

We're going to continue rolling over smaller opponents but will lack confidence against the world class teams until a large portion of our players are making a significant impact for their clubs in respected leagues. We'll always have a fighter's chance and shockers happen - like the 3-2 Portugal result at WC2002 - but we'll be in the underdog role for a while.

Posted by: MK27 | April 1, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

1-0 Honduras over Mexico.....

Posted by: fischy | April 1, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Altidore won't get these gifts against better competition. He needs to learn two very important things and then he might be the best forward we've ever had...how to turn towards goal under pressure and how to run at defenders with the ball at his feet.

The T&T defense...from their midfielders all the way to their keeper was nonexistant. They gave up so much space, it made the US attack actually look skilled and creative. We all know that's an illusion.

Still good win, another 3 points, and hopefully this time if we're in a position to win the group, we don't shut it down and settle for second. I for one don't want to be stuck in another group of death.

Posted by: mercurysnake77 | April 1, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Altidore could be the future. Now we just need Adu to start clicking

Posted by: carmines757 | April 1, 2009 9:52 PM

------

We need Adu to get a chance to click. Remember his last run out? Goal. Bradley needs to show a little vision and give the kid a chance. His form to date in a USA jersey merits that chance.

Posted by: defpotec | April 1, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

And Hejduk may not be in future plans, but I kind of want him in SA... Tenacious, speedy player who tackles amazingly.

Posted by: carmines757 | April 1, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mercurysnake77 | April 1, 2009 9:59 PM

---------------

Finishing first, second, or third won't make a difference vis-a-vis the World Cup draw. First place doesn't mean an easier draw than second, etc. All three go into the same pot.

Posted by: defpotec | April 1, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Did Hejduk get attacked again in the tunnel?

I think Jozy needed to come off at halftime...

But, seriously folks -- It's interesting that someone asked above how the USA was any better than 4 years ago. I think we have to ask what's happened to the Soca Warriors over the last 4 years. They were horrible. Carlos Edwards and Jones were the only decent players. USA was not crisp in any sense, but T&T was helpless to take advantage of any of it.

I like the way Torres thinks and runs, but his passes were not good. I guess I could say the same about Jozy's touches, other than that first goal. The USA players need to be crisper with the passes and develop softer touches when taking the passes. Practice. Practice. Practice.

I don't want to rain on a 3-0 win, but if that had been a good team we were playing....

Posted by: fischy | April 1, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Awesome result. A few breath-holding moments and a few minor quibbles, but overall I think we should all me pretty happy with the team and Bradley right now.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | April 1, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

any body want to hate on Ching?

Posted by: VTUnited | April 1, 2009 8:16 PM
-------------------------------------------

Not me. I'm the guy who still gets burned up because Arena didn't use him in Germany -- didn't sub him in when we needed another target guy against Ghana. He makes Donovan a better player.

Posted by: fischy | April 1, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: defpotec | April 1, 2009 10:02 PM

I thought there was a weird process with region winners. I know they seed a few teams, but the US won't be seeded, I'm sure.

Posted by: mercurysnake77 | April 1, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Does Heydude ever keep his shirt on after a match?

===

With surfer abs like his...

Posted by: mason08 | April 1, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Honduras leads Mexico 1-0 late in the 1st half on Telemundo right now. Pavon just scored a 2nd one and the crowd went crazy but he was correctly ruled offsides.

Is there any way we can get Spanish 2nd Division games on cable? The talent level must be incredible is someone like Jozy can't even get a minute of playing time!

Landon Donovan as attacking left mid was a pretty good experiment (at least against tonight's opponent) as he was quite involved in each of Jozy's 3 goals.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 1, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

If you aren't watching US-Honduras...

Posted by: sitruc | April 1, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Dos a Cero

Posted by: sitruc | April 1, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Well Pavon just got another that's going to count. Dos a cero.

Posted by: benonthehill | April 1, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

and yeah I ruined that and meant Mexico-Honduras

Honduras is leading 2-0

Posted by: sitruc | April 1, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Pavon just scored a truly skillful goal. Honduras 2 Mexico 0

Dos a Cero

Posted by: fischy | April 1, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Pavon makes it 2-0 for the catrahcos and this time he is onside. Nice chest control of a short chipped pass over the top that he put up into the air and then sent home with a high right-footed volley.

Lots of work for Sven and el Tri if they're going to make a comeback from 2-0 down in Honduras.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 1, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Dude, why can't United sign a cold killer like Pavon?;-) oh yeah we got Luci!!!!
comments are hilarious tonight. Looks to me like Bob Bradley finally read all these soccer blogs and was like" screw these nerds!, they have no idea how CRAZY I can get on April Fool's DaY!!!!!"
DMB at left back was nuts... US should have scored more in the first half. It got a little close for comfort for a second. Just a second.

Nice to see altidore get the start and such positive results. Maybe putting Beasley at LB is opening up space for Torres and maybe Adu?
Anyway, lots of fun watching the games tonight. What up with Ivan?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 1, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 1, 2009 10:16 PM
-----------------------------------------

I was wondering something similar about Xerez. They must be pretty deep if Jozy can't even sniff the playing field. Sure, he's raw -- but if they'd play him, those rough edges would start to smooth out.

Nice call about Landon's contributions and the position switch.

As for your observation about "Sven and El Tri" -- I think we might not have a chance to say that again without putting in "parting ways". Not a great time to switch coaches, but it's hard to imagine they stick with Sven. Heads would roll with the Mexican Federation, if they didn't make a move and El Tri somehow missed the Cup finals.

Posted by: fischy | April 1, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Bradley is a genius. Who else would have thought to start this Jozy kid? He hand picked this 19 yr old who isn't even playing on his team, who would have guessed he'd score, much less get a hat trick?

Seriously though, here's my problem (and probably a lot of people's problem) with Bradley. Enough with Ching, Mastreoni, Hedjuk, etc. Yeah they are solid veteran guys who will win you games in concacaf and qualify you for the WC. But i thought that wasn't enough anymore and we want to do something when we got to the WC? Ching made the first goal more cause of his familiarity with Donovan than anything. That shouldn't be a reason to be playing though, Jozy should have been playing all qualifying long and learning the rest of his teammates. Adu and Edu should be playing and getting familiar with everyone too. I like the experimentation with Beasley at LB, sure its not a regular gameplan, but its nice to know he can cover there in a pinch or against a speedy winger.

We know what these old guys will get you, qualification and knocked out of the first round at the WC. Give some of these other guys a chance! Sure it might be a little rough going at first but that should have been done last round. I'm just glad he learned from last game, i hope its the last we see of Pearce unless there are some major injuries!

Posted by: Brian76 | April 1, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

I for one would get quite a chuckle out of it if the USA qualified for the World Cup and Mexico didn't... :)

I just want to see us get points at Azteca first, though.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 1, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

On Xerez:
1) They were in 1st until this weekend
2) Jozy didn't have much training time with the team to get settled
3) Current players were p!ssed that they acquired him. So, the coach has not wanted to rock the boat.
4) The president of Xerez was recently fired after he was caught in a gunfight at a brothel. Not relevant at all :)

Posted by: Reignking | April 1, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

A-effing-amen, brother.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 1, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Posted by: Norteno4life | April 1, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

there goes the ref helping the green chickens

Posted by: Norteno4life | April 1, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Tres a cero just doesn't sound right. But it soooo is.

Posted by: Reignking | April 1, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

LMAO!!!

I'm not sure I could have seen this one coming at least not as bad as it has been.

Mexico just got one back with a PK after a foul in the box. The keeper guessed right too.

Posted by: sitruc | April 1, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

This last was for Brian76.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 1, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

I have to say that Honduras is laying the beat-down on Mexico. Red card on Salcido! It's Lil Flip Game Over !

Posted by: diego_r | April 1, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

diego_r, I actually had that song in my head when Honduras scored their third goal.

Posted by: sitruc | April 1, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

The third Honduran goal should have been flagged for offside.

Posted by: mason08 | April 1, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

ps. I keep on thinking that Emilio is out there for Honduras but it's some other guy with fake dreads.

With Costa Rica tied 0-0 at home with El Salvador in the 58th minute, who knows who 2-4 will end up in CONCACAF?

My guess would be:

1) USA
2) Mexico (win em all at Azteca)
3) Costa Rica
4) Honduras

but, who knows at this point?

Posted by: diego_r | April 1, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Salcido just got absolutely worked on that red card. That was so embarrassing.

Posted by: Reignking | April 1, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Where SINHA??? so how good is mexico again mr wannabe mexican??? Even with paid foreigners on the team, mexico still takes a step back....funny stuff

Posted by: Norteno4life | April 1, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Final
Honduras 3-1 Mexico

Posted by: sitruc | April 1, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Final score:

Honduras 3

Mexico 1

So Long, Sven?

Posted by: Juan-John | April 1, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

I hope Sven still has his job on Special-1 TV because he's done here in minor-league CONCACAF

Posted by: diego_r | April 1, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Juan-John | April 1, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Hey GOFF!!!!

What's the record for comments?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 2, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Why do you ask? Are you trying to set one for the Soccer Insider?

Posted by: sitruc | April 2, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

""Enough with Ching, Mastreoni, Hedjuk, etc. Yeah they are solid veteran guys who will win you games in concacaf and qualify you for the WC.""

I see your point, but Frankie Hey Dude has played great through this tournament . . and what makes you think he can't bring it in South Africa? Age is a number. He's been, arguably, our best player in three games. He's in great shape and brings leadership and 3 World Cups of experience. Me thinks if he's available, he'll be playing.

Ching? Well, he does what he does and there's not many out there who can do it like he does. Maybe some day, but for now, he's our guy.

Mastroeni . . . yeah, don't book your family in Johannesburg.

Posted by: delantero | April 2, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Aaaaah man wat a great day lol, first my Bolivia puts a molly whoppin on Argentina, then the US gets back to their usual selves and rout T & T, and to just make it alil sweeter the Mexicants LOSE hahahahahaha....imma sleep good ya'll lol!

Posted by: DjB55 | April 2, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Nice turn around from saturday. Mexico has a stincker and loses 3-1, we have a stinker and tie 2-2. Overall, tonight was a quality performance that should bring some confidence... Ofcourse the team must improve, however we don't need to beat england or deal with that big named opposition. One of the great things about the game is that anything can happen. If Argentina can lose 6-1 to Bolivia, maybe we should stop concerning ourselves with the conotation some teams carry with them. U-20 WC this summer, I hope altidore, Adu, and Torres get called in for the tournament and someone hides Rongen's ticket.

Posted by: Dipssince78 | April 2, 2009 1:40 AM | Report abuse

Why do people wear English club jerseys to a USA WC Qualifier?
Posted by: bluesfan1 | April 1, 2009 9:17 PM