Mediate signs with USL's Puerto Rico Islanders

Former United player Domenic Mediate has signed with the Puerto Rico Islanders of the USL. The Islanders announced the signing of Mediate today. Until recently Mediate, who also played for the University of Maryland, was is in camp with United, but wasn't able to secure a senior roster spot.

Puerto Rico continues play in the CONCACAF Champions League semifinals next week.

By Greg Manifold  |  April 2, 2009; 1:44 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: U.S. National Team at RFK
Next: Sven Out as Mexico Coach

Comments

So, the Islanders really are the DCU reserve team?

Posted by: fischy | April 2, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see Dom landing on his feet! Is Dom eligible to play in the CONCACAF Champions Cup or is he ineligible since he's joining the Islanders so late in the competition?

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | April 2, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Any idea of what the Islanders payroll looks like?

Posted by: sitruc | April 2, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

That makes it three ex-United members or draft picks, right?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 2, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 2, 2009 2:31 PM

---------------------------------------

I counted four, if you count Kyle Veris: him, Dom, Addlery, and Villegas. Needham's off in the Norwegian second division (?).

Posted by: Josh8 | April 2, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Thanks

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 2, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update on Dom. I was hoping he would catch on here and when he didn't I was hoping to hear where he went. Good for him. He deserves a team.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | April 2, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Mediate's agent: "I'm sorry, Dom. You're going to have to play soccer in Puerto Rico, and you're going to get paid for it. Can you handle it?"

Mediate:

Agent: "OK, let's do this."

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 2, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Ryan Cordeiro - who did he offend at DCU so bad that he's not on any team this year at any level?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 2, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Is he Cup-tied?

Posted by: Juan-John | April 2, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

@Juan-John: I don't know the rules in CONCACAF, but Dom didn't play in any of DC's fixtures in the current cup competition.

Posted by: EdTheRed | April 2, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping that he would join Montreal.

Mediate, Impact

Posted by: Reignking | April 2, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Is he able to play on Tuesday in CONCACAF? Boy the Islanders must now have a bloated payroll for a USL side. All former MLS players plus two former European club players. I guess the CONCACAF run is allowing them to buy and buy and buy by USL standards.

Posted by: kkfla7371 | April 2, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Mon dieu!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 2, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Ed!

Posted by: Juan-John | April 2, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile, Sven has been canned by the Mexican federation. The Mexican National team has become the Redskins of international football.

Posted by: RedskinAddict | April 2, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

What an awful job. You couldn't pay me enough pesos -- but tacos al pastor, that's a different story.

Posted by: Reignking | April 2, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Ok, with Sven sacked, what if the Mexican Federation wanted to hire an American coach. If the deal was sweet enough, do you think Bruce Arena would take the job? Would he not out of patriotism or some bs like that?

Then again, from the looks of it, he loves him some tacos al pastor. Then again, if that were the criteria, Sigi would be the prime candidate. Que hambre!

Posted by: EssEff | April 2, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Steve Sampson. I can't wait to see Mexico play a 3-2-4-1 or 3-4-2-1 or whatever the hell it is.

But I really think that FMF has had their fill of foreign coaches for a while.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 2, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

===

Are you kidding? Do you know what the severance package must be like? Plus, you only have to put up with it for a year, tops.

Posted by: mason08 | April 2, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Arena coaching Mexico? Sounds like a year old April Fools joke

Mediate has to be better than the shocking display from Marcelin in the CCL so far. He might event start if eligible next week.

Posted by: undrafted | April 2, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

A couple days ago, got word from an Islanders insider that we were after Mediate. I am glad that it worked out. Ex-Terpy, ex-DCU. He should be a great addition...

Posted by: yankiboy | April 3, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Any idea of what the Islanders payroll looks like?

Posted by: sitruc | April 2, 2009 2:27 PM
-------------------------------------------
A pretty good estimate would be about $600K.

The Islanders' wages are on paid on 7 month deals. They range from $1.5K-$5K a month...

Posted by: yankiboy | April 3, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse