Monday Kickaround

*Talks continue concerning a friendly between D.C. United and Real Madrid at RFK Stadium on Aug. 8. We should hear soon whether it will, indeed, happen. D.C.'s league match against Kansas City on that day would be moved to later in the season.

*DCU supporters are organizing a nine-block march from Lincoln Park to RFK in support of keeping the club in the city. The tentative plan is to do it May 2 before the Dallas match. "We are marching so that an agreement can be reached by the D.C. government and our owners." Click here for more information.

*With Valencia out and Villarreal wavering, the Insider has learned that the latest candidate to become the MLS All-Star Game opponent this summer in Salt Lake City is ... Atletico Madrid.

*First reported here on the Insider last week and now it's official: Cuban refugee Reinier Alcantara has signed with Miami in USL1. He will be joined by Pedro Faife, who also sought asylum while with the national team in Washington last fall.

For information about Champions League viewing parties in the D.C. area, keep reading this thread.....

*ESPN360.com will host viewing parties for the second legs of the Euro Champions League quarterfinals Tuesday and Wednesday at the following locations:

-- Lucky Bar at 1221 Connecticut Avenue NW
-- Summers in Arlington
-- Ireland's Four Courts in Arlington (Tuesday only)
-- Fado Irish Pub at 808 7th Street NW (Wednesday only)

Two matches will be shown live each day beginning at 2:30 p.m.: Chelsea-Liverpool and Bayern Munich-Barcelona on Tuesday, Arsenal-Villarreal and Porto-Manchester United on Wednesday. No cover charge.

By Steve Goff  |  April 13, 2009; 10:07 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Spain , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Ajax Rout
Next: MLS Observations

Comments

There will also be a bunch of us at Molly Malone's for the matches upstairs

seriously atletico? yawnnnnnnn

they have to be able to get someone mor popular that people will go see, if not just cancel the damn thing.

Posted by: dcsnowwake | April 13, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Atletico Madrid is a much better choice -- you've got Forlan, Aguero, Maniche, Pongolle, Simao, Coupet...but they have the EXACT same scheduling issues as Villarreal!!!

Lincoln Park? Great band.

Posted by: Reignking | April 13, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff -- do you attend DCU Friday and Freedom Saturday, or is Freedom Tenorio's beat now?

Posted by: OWNTF | April 13, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Hmmmm...a bit of Champions League action tomorrow afternoon, and then it's off to Verizon Center for the sweet sounds of Phil, Bobby, Bill, Mickey, Warren, and Jeff. Oh yeah! (And yeah, that's patchouli you're smelling.)

Posted by: EdTheRed | April 13, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Yep - I'd pay good money to see Kun Aguero play in person.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 13, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

ESPN isn't hosting anything at the ESPN Zone on 12th? Really? Did someone miss that lecture in business school about cross-promoting? How about the lecture on not giving business away to your competitors?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 13, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Oh man, a Real Madrid friendly would make my summer!! Hope that gets done. We've had a great record against European teams in the past.

Posted by: OhBoyOhBoy | April 13, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Phil, Bobby, Bill, Mickey, Warren, and Jeff. Oh yeah!

Posted by: EdTheRed | April 13, 2009 10:24 AM

Damn, with those names it's no wonder the Wizards are so bad this season! :-)

Posted by: Kev29 | April 13, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Part of me wants that Madrid friendly because I could go see my two favorite teams in a building I'd like to experience before it gets torn down and finally take a nice trip to DC.

Part of me says no, cause I would like to save up for a new computer and camera and all.

Dang it.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 13, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I'd rather it be Athletico Madrid than some crappy team like West Ham.

Who was it last year, anyway?

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | April 13, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I'm not a huge fan of the All-Star game concept but Atletico Madrid would be a pretty decent choice for such a match-up. They have decent star power and could be in the Champions League next season.

Plus, the hucksters who market these events can build up the Real vs Atletico rivalry.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 13, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Never mind that marketing angle. The all-star game would be at REAL Salt Lake's stadium but wouldn't necessarily feature that much of their team.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 13, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

If MLS can't get a team for the allstar why not go back to a EAST vs WEST showdown.

Posted by: RM27 | April 13, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand why AM thinks they wouldn't have the same scheduling challenges that VCF could have...unless AM believes they'll choke once again. Vaya Malaga!

Posted by: Reignking | April 13, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Why doesn't ESPN have a viewing party at the ESPN Zone?

Awfully strange if you ask me.

Posted by: roadkit | April 13, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

ESPN hates soccer.

Posted by: Reignking | April 13, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

If MLS can't get a foreign team for the All-Star Game, then it should go back to the U.S. MLS players vs World Players format.

Posted by: Juan-John | April 13, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Very good news about the march. If you are attending the game then please attend the march. Way overdue!

Posted by: blackandred777 | April 13, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

The march to RFK sounds like a great idea! Unfortunately, I won't be around that weekend, or else I would be there.

Hopefully we can get at least 5,000 people, like the thread on BigSoccer says. I think that would be a great statement to the DC Government; we have thousands of people who will support a reasonable stadium deal that calls for some city funding, but not massive amounts.

Good luck to all who participate!

And Athletico Madrid? Really? This decreased the chances of me watching the All-Star Game by about 20%. The previous chance of me watching it was 25%.

Posted by: kdiff813 | April 13, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

The Baltimore Sun printed an editorial addressing the obvious shortsightedness of the PG County Council vote concerning the stadium study. Where were the Post's editors on the issue..............crickets

Posted by: blackandred777 | April 13, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

The Post already ran an editorial, essentially asking that all the right questions be asked. It's not surprising that the Sun took a shot at the Pr. Geo CC because MD Politics is Baltimore City v Washington suburbs.

If there were 5,000 DC residents in the march, the city gov't would pay attention. Otherwise, they would say it's just folks from the 'burbs again trying to to get DC taxpayer money for their own entertainment. Or, they will turn the Metro PD loose. Marchers better not be carrying any open containers or medicinal herbs.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 13, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

The Balto Sun and Balto politicians like O'Malley are always in favor of spending MD tax dollars in Balto that aren't collected in Balto. Maybe DC United can play at Pimlico.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 13, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I hate a stadium with a surrounding track. OTOH, we could bet on the game.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 13, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I-270,

Are you referring to the editorial concerning Bland's walkout? If so, that piece was pre-Council vote. I have seen nothing that addressed the shortsighted nature of the Council vote.

Posted by: blackandred777 | April 13, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF,

If you are a fan of United then Baltimore politics is just A OK if it results in a SSS!

Posted by: blackandred777 | April 13, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

What else does Baltimore have to editorialize on, anyway? Crab season? Where's Cal? Natty Boh? Charm City Cakes? Bromo Seltzer? Hon?

DC has a few more things going for it.

I-270Exit1, I watched the Xerez game with an ugly track. Aren't we spoiled? :) It is really amazing that we have moved away from the multi-use stadiums that probably could make more money by being able to host almost any type of event, from soccer to track to football to baseball.

Hockey and basketball need to come up with a reason that they should have HSS and BBSS :)

Posted by: Reignking | April 13, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

A march is nothing but a good idea. it doesn't matter who is marching. The more DC citizens the better but it's all good. The march is for more than DC to view, by the way. It will get the attention of MD and VA politicians as well. I say the heck with 5000, let's get 10,000-15,000. If you're attending then there is no reason you can't plan ahead and join in. We need the visuals! I saw posts from Barra Brava and La Norte but not the Screaming Eagles. Are they in?

Posted by: blackandred777 | April 13, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: blackandred777

I hope the neighbors agree.

Posted by: Reignking | April 13, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

This is laughable. Let me get this straight. The feeling amongst you guys seems to be that a pro soccer stadium editorial from the Sun is a bad thing? As a native Washingtonian, I have to say that is an absolutely pompous attitude. I hope for sanity's sake that I'm misinterpreting your sentiments. If not, then I'm speechless as to the total lack of vision reflected within the comments.

Posted by: blackandred777 | April 13, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if you are talking about me, but I just found it to be a great opportunity to make fun of Baltimore.

Posted by: Reignking | April 13, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm good with that. I was just taken aback by the hostility that seemed to be flowing. I've never really been into this whole Washington vs Baltimore or Maryland vs Virginia thing.

Posted by: blackandred777 | April 13, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

it disturbs me as well that the screaming eagles have been so silent on this march... where is their leadership?

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | April 13, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: blackandred777 | April 13, 2009 1:40 PM

Let the record show that I've never really been into that either...

Posted by: DadRyan | April 13, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Steve thanks for the mention of the march and the linkage... You gonna join in? Come on Goff! Get embedded!
I'm going to have to pull some serious strings to get in on this...
Wish me luck.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 13, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

No hostility here. Just stating the fact that the Balto-Burb divide is more contentious than the Dem-Rep one in MD. It could work to our advantage if the O'Malley et al. decide to really screw the burbs by building the unpopular stadium.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 13, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

No march has occurred yet.

I hope it's a great success but pulling really high numbers out of thin air about attendance at said march only sets up disappointment if a lesser number show up.

I'll be there.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 13, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I just got an e-mail from Maryland delegate Heather Mizeur:

Thank you for writing to express your support of stadium-anchored transit-oriented development in Prince George’s County. I am unhappy to report that House Bill 1282 – which would have allowed the Maryland Stadium Authority, the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission and Prince George’s County to study and make recommendations on this new facility for America’s most successful soccer team, DC United – will not pass this year.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 13, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

It would be a better march if it started at Pennsylvania and 8th and everyone patronized some restaurants and bars on 8th Street before the march. Then you could say, "Look how much tax money all these DC United fans just dropped on 8th Street."

No, I don't own a business on 8th Street. Yes, I do understand that money talks.

Posted by: Alsatian1 | April 13, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

someone should get a stack of flyers to all of the bars in the area. This would be a significant blow to business if the team leaves. The flyers would promote the march.
will try to do this but am happy to have help.

Posted by: dsheon1 | April 13, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Alsatian1: That's an awfully far walk for many a fan. It's a good idea, but I think that it'll be a drop in the bucket tax wise, not to mention a little deceptive as to where, when, and why we congregate anywhere. That distance seems comparable to walking from the "Atlas" on H st NE... Don't get me wrong, I do believe it would be wise to spend money somewhere within walking distance of the stadium, but technically Barracks row isn't.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 13, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 13, 2009 2:36 PM

Unless they decide to move the team to Balto. That's even farther from Virginia than Greenbelt.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 13, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Every game I go to, I eat on 8th Street then walk to the game. I typically see maybe a dozen other fans doing the same. It would be nice if it were a thousand, if just once. That would get you noticed.

Posted by: Alsatian1 | April 13, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

It isn't that they can't get a team, the fact is that MLS and Don Garber are trying to do the All Star match on the cheap. They keep going for teams they know are unlikely to come due to UEFA qualifiers.

I believe it is a deliberate attempt to delay a decision so long that they are forced to sign some Mexican team, like Chivas who SUM (CEO Don Garber) controls the US rights to that way they can tap the All Star game profits as many ways as possible.

From the start MLS has wanted a Mexican club that they could save travel costs on and maximize their relationship via SUM. RSL has fought them wanting to bring in a European side, but you know that you have a real hard time fighting the MLS "Don".

Just another in a long line of reason why I think it is time that Garber steps down from either MLS or SUM, the conflict of interest is clear and clouds the judgement of one man controlling too much power.

How about this Don write the check, give it to RSL and let them sign a damm opponent already.

Posted by: f4denz | April 14, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse