Montero, Olsen and a 60-Yard Goal

*Seattle forward Fredy Montero will not face criminal charges.

*D.C. United midfielder Ben Olsen's thoughts on visiting the White House on Monday for events surrounding the Easter Egg Roll:

"It's not every day you get to chill out on the White House lawn. Played with some kids, read a book at the reading tree. It was a nice day. I enjoyed the [security] frisk. ... Devon [McTavish] and I went. Ziggy Marley had a nice concert there. We had some fun with the goals. I brought my wife. We're bad parents because I didn't know it was the Easter egg thing. I thought it was a health day because I figured Easter was on Sunday. I found out that morning and I thought, 'What a bad father that I didn't call and get it set up for my daughter.' I tried and it was too late."

*Goteborg's Ragnar Sigurdsson from 60 yards:

By Steve Goff  |  April 15, 2009; 9:40 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS , Sweden
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wednesday Kickaround
Next: Janicki's Status

Comments

He's obviously a new father. My parents wouldn't have admitted to not taking me on the record and years later would tell me I went but don't remember and it's a shame that I'm such a selfish person who takes everything for granted.

Posted by: sitruc | April 15, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

That's what his son* gets for wearing a Beckham jersey.

*yes, I know

Posted by: Reignking | April 15, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

No worries Benny, she's a little on the young side to enjoy an egg roll... Now if she was 2 you might be a "bad father"...;-)Hopefully it's the concentration on your soccer, that's got you so oblivious...

Posted by: DadRyan | April 15, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Soccer players at the Easter Egg Roll. A letter supporting the USSF's World Cup bid. I hope that the right and left wings of this blog can agree that these are good steps by #44.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 15, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

did the goalie just lose the ball in the sun and that's why he was slow to track back? Either way, props to the heads up play

Posted by: doh1 | April 15, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

that keeper should try some sunglasses next time, since the hat seemed to be no help

Posted by: VTUnited | April 15, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Two steps, a 60-yard strike. Well done.

I may have hit it half that far, with my boot flying off my foot even farther.

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 15, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

""On Montero:The details finally coming out actually make me doubt his innocence more than ever...ugh... ..""

Not sure why. Seems like other people were in the house at the time of the alleged rape and didn't hear anything including "cries of help" that the alleged victim claims . . .

Posted by: delantero | April 15, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Lucky for Fredy that we don't try people on the internet. Yet.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 15, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Talk about mls or us tv commentators being not good. Hear those commentators? No excitement, nothing though I can't understand what they were saying.
I am thinking it's a good sign that yes DC United players at the white house exposing the sport and good side of the organization.
Re Montero Happy to hear as a soccer fan and good for the league specially he has the good potential to become really a quality in mls. Hope that's the truth.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 15, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

On the goal - Coopers was better. Less of a looping shot, goalie saw the ball and tried to defend it, etc.

Posted by: James66 | April 15, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I still like this shot better. Fastest goal in soccer history.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 15, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

@delantero: In this age of *Stop Snitchin* the 16 year old kid who probably idolizes Montero is hardly a reliable "witness". Don't most 16 year olds have I-pods permanently grafted into their ears, or their stereos turned up to 11? Or have their headsets on playing XBOX LIVE? I sure hope that girl wasn't raped, I guess we'll never know.
I'm just saying that all the "facts" that have been presented in this new article aren't making me less suspicious.

Sure makes for an awful joke about his *touch* doesn't it? I can see some awful banners being flown by some less sensitive ultras...

Posted by: DadRyan | April 15, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 15, 2009 9:56 AM
-------------------------------------------
As far as the Easter Egg roll goes, I would call it "nice" but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "good step". After all, it's an Easter Egg roll.

The WC bid I would call "good" because I think that the US will make more money than it will spend out of the deal.

Posted by: yankiboy | April 15, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Lucky for Fredy that we don't try people on the internet. Yet.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 15, 2009 10:41 AM

You seem to have indicated that there was some sort of rush to judgement or that his presumption of innocence was completely disregraded.

Maybe you are referring to some other message boards or maybe I missed a lot of post because around here, I think Dude pretty much got the benefit of the doubt.

I am really happy that it worked out for him. Few more things than seeing an innocent man go to jail or his reputation dragged through the mud. Too bad that the legal system can only do so much for the latter. Glad that things didn't go any further. Sorry to see that they went this far.

Hope the alledged victim gets some help as does Montero. Looks like they both are going to need it.

Posted by: yankiboy | April 15, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Egg roll but they could have invited pointy helmet ball players. Fact that dc united players is still good in my opinion. Obviously they are in somebody's mind.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 15, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I heard Sigi Schmidt was at the egg roll, too. Benny rolled him 30 yards.

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 15, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Eh... Cooper's is still better than that.

Posted by: pittmancb | April 15, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

===

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball
===

They also had Redskins players, and I imagine maybe even some Wiz players though I didn't see any. And Fergie ;-)

Posted by: dcufan | April 15, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

@yanki -- I guess what I'm reacting to is that the prosecutors are not charging for lack of evidence, but still the newspaper story re-prints all of the complainant's allegations, which are now circulated world-wide instantly. Who can tell what's fact and fiction from that remove? Not I.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 15, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

@OWNTF: Looks like justice prevailed with this one.

The newspapers are going to provide as much info as they can because there is no bigger sports story going on in Seattle at this particular moment (except maybe the announcement of the Seahawks 2007 NFL season schedule)...

With those kind of allegations, his rep will never be the same again, NEVER. Which is sad...

Posted by: yankiboy | April 15, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Montero got screwed by a flawed system. There's an allegation, police arrest then question and collect evidence. By the time the evidence and questioning has revealed that there isn't enough to constitute an offense the damage has already been done to the reputation of the accused.

Posted by: davethelad | April 15, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I heard Sigi Schmidt was at the egg roll, too. Benny rolled him 30 yards.

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 15, 2009 11:48 AM

Geez, hope not. That's a mighty load that Ben's ankles had to contend with.

That and black and yellow don't make for a very pretty Easter egg...

Posted by: 22206no1 | April 15, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

@22296no1

Don't you mean neon green and blue?

Posted by: the_slammer | April 15, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

That goal never should have counted, right? The ball was still rolling before he struck it.........

Posted by: ajsockrboxr | April 15, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I speak Swedish, but he wasn't saying anything interesting. I'm tempted to joke that this is as excited as any Swede ever gets, but in reality the score by then was 5-0. This was a match between the top team from Sweden's second city against one of the Stockholm clubs, so running it up must have been a little fun for them.

Posted by: troy6 | April 15, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

@ ajsocrboxr — The touch before put the ball in play. The strike was the shooter's second touch after receiving it from his teammate (though the toss-to-and-tap-back were pretty informal. Likely the mention that the score was already 5-0 figured in the CR's decision to let it go.)

Posted by: StevanF | April 15, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: yankiboy | April 15, 2009 12:45 PM

I assumed Seattle wasn't a terrible place to go and the people weren't entirely bad, but they must really suck and be in a depressing place if the 2007 Seahawks schedule is big news to them.

Posted by: sitruc | April 15, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

"I'm tempted to joke that this is as excited as any Swede ever gets"

I think I saw Stefan Edberg smile once, but maybe the sun was in his eyes.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 15, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

@StevanF--you're right about the informality given the score i think....I was just reacting to the fact that the ball was never still on either touch, so a "technical" ref might have called a restart---i'm with you tho.

Posted by: ajsockrboxr | April 15, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse