Not-See TV, Coin Flip, Fire, Copa

*If the Capitals-Penguins series goes to Game 5 -- and that seems almost certain -- Comcast SportsNet will not show the D.C. United-Toronto match on May 9. Comcast apparently has no plans to find an alternate outlet or use tape delay for DCU coverage and, under its contract with the club, will have to pick up a game later in the year. (Perhaps the regular season finale vs. Kansas City? Or how about the Open Cup play-in game vs. New York?!)

*Speaking of the Open Cup, we are on pins and needles awaiting the result of the coin flip that will determine whether DCU or New York hosts next month's encounter. "The Flip", broadcast live on CNN (kidding), will take place today or tomorrow. May 13 or 20 is the likely date of the match. If DCU hosts, RFK or Maryland SoccerPlex will be utilized. If New York, maybe Rutgers?

*The Chicago Fire fell to Mexican power Club America, 2-1, in a friendly before more than 17,000 in Bridgeview. At Toyota Park, precautions were taken against spread of swine flu.

*Video of Gremio's 3-0 Copa Libertadores victory over Boyaca Chico:

By Steve Goff  |  April 30, 2009; 10:30 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Libertadores , MLS , Mexico , TV , U.S. Open Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Early Thursday Kickaround
Next: A Few Minutes With Mia Hamm

Comments

Who's hosting the Pre-Flip show? They can show a tour of the US Mint, how coins are designed and pressed, the various state quarters and presidential dollar coins, show a few coin tricks, interview statisticians on the odds of heads or tails, play quarters. The possibilities are endless.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 30, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Good thing nobody was hoping for any extra coverage for the TFC match....

Tails never fails?

Posted by: sitruc | April 30, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Check out Janicki's freak stache: http://www.behindthebadge.com/2009/04/photo-of-the-day-janickis-must.php

I'd take that last game of the season @ KC over the play in match.
Do they use a special LHUSOC collectable coin for the flip?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 30, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

speaking of which sitruc, what is the deal with this "march"?
Please don't make me go to Big Soccer...

Posted by: DadRyan | April 30, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

That means that the Caps are gonna have to 4-0 in the series.

Posted by: TheJim1 | April 30, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it's time for D.C. United to start talking to the folks at MASN? At the very least, the team should have a deal for a local Spanish-language station to broadcast, in addition to whatever games Comcast decides to show in English.

Posted by: fischy | April 30, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Was Blanco bound and gagged? Oh wait -- those precautions won't be necessary until he returns to the Soccerplex.

Posted by: fischy | April 30, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Comcast SportsNet will not show the D.C. United-Toronto match on May 9. Comcast apparently has no plans to find an alternate outlet or use tape delay for DCU coverage.
By Steve Goff | April 30, 2009; 10:30 AM ET

What about DirectKick coverage of this game? Will we be able to see it, or is DC going to blackout the Toronto broadcast of the game?

At least this wasn't one of the highlighted matches in the pre-season presser released by the team and Comcast. Who can fail to remember the massive deal United announced a few years ago, only to see several of the highlighted matchups get bumped for Redskins Preseason Football.

Fair play to the Caps, being in the playoffs and all. But DC United has taken the brunt of enforced schedule changes by Comcast. Mostly at the hands of Pre Season Football. For that network not to find an alternate broadcast outlet, or to not show the game in tape delay is a joke. Just a few years ago they were attempting a show with Ben Olsen and Sundays with United. Now we get 15 games. Some home games, which we can attend, some doubled-up with Telefutura, when Comcast isn't needed. "Unsurpassed coverage" indeed.

And we all thought the creation of MASN would give United a better shot on Comcast-HA!

Seattle's got the classiest local coverage in MLS. They hit the ground running. And their HD blows Comcast away.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | April 30, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

What about MLS.net? Will they still show it? Or will it be blacked out?

Posted by: alan19 | April 30, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

@alan19,

MLS.net will show you everything you wanted - in the residential real estate world ;)

I guess if CSN is not going to show the game b/c of Hockey, you'd have to hope that MLSnet.com can pick up a Kansas City Feed. HOWEVER, since KC has been using the "local" feed and doing commentary in the booth (Think ESPN meets Champions League and UEFA Cup), if there is no local feed - there indeed could be no coverage of this game outside of radio and rampant Twitterpation from SoccerInsider and DCUnited.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 30, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Exactly whatever happened to this MLS will televise every game somehow mantra, anyway? Comcast SportsNet can't just screw over fans of both teams.

Posted by: evwill | April 30, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Good ol' King/Kong... Has Kevin Collabro figured out the difference between a goal kick and a corner kick yet???

Posted by: DadRyan | April 30, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

@evwill,

Comcast can and will do what it wants! No, it's not great that they're going to back out on a date that was pre-selected. However, if their contract allows them that ability, then I don't blame them. TFC vs DCU will not be higher rated compared to playoff hockey.

Also @alan19, sorry - I was thinking Wizards while writing that when the game in limbo is the TFC one.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 30, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

CSN is violating my ethical sense, not a legal one. Obviously Caps playoffs would draw more viewers than United soccer by a significant multiple.

That said, no local professional team other than United would or could have games simply preempted without any alternative outlets available.

Posted by: evwill | April 30, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like a heads I win, tales you lose situation. Sorry, we backed out, penalty on you.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 30, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Comcast start streaming games on their site like ESPN360 does. I'm sure there's a way that ESPN is making revenue from that (online ads?) and it keeps folks loyal. The big networks do it as well.

Caps in 4 would help.

Posted by: eadc | April 30, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Yanks cut ticket prices.

Maybe they listened to Don Garber.

Posted by: Reignking | April 30, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

What's the story if you have Direct Kick. It seems to me we ought to be able to watch the TFC broadcast of the game.

Posted by: dcufan531 | April 30, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I think the play-in game between DCU and Pink Cow is on Fox Soccer Albanian.

Posted by: griffin1108 | April 30, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Ok. I am from Baltimore so I am not the brightest Bulb in the bunch but can someone please explain to me why Carl Rove's take on the current President Fox News link is where the Gremio-Boyaca Chico video link should be.

I admit that I am lazy and did not watch the whole thing. Maybe I missed the joke. Maybe it was too far over my head. I bailed out after about 45 seconds.

Can someone help a Brutha out?!?!

Posted by: yankiboy | April 30, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Ok. I fastfowarded through the video and I don't get it.

What happened??? Did JD hack into the SI website or something? Or is this an even more sinister conspiracy.

I am confused but not amused...

Posted by: yankiboy | April 30, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Anyone have TV ratings for the Caps this year? I know in the past DC had better ratings than the Caps. I assume they're doing better this year because they have a quality team (finally), but maybe not?

And let's be honest, when its 80+ outside, the last thing that should be going on is hockey.

Posted by: Hoost | April 30, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Any chance they play the play-in game somewhere proactive, like Philadelphia? Let the Sons of Ben have a walk-through on their cheers. See if people in Philly actually care about soccer...

Posted by: IamAM | April 30, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Some of those SOB's are already having walk-throughs at Harrisburg City Islanders games...Last summer, they actually travelled down to Baltimore for a HCI-Crystal Palace game on Wednesday or Thursday night.

I have to admit that I was impressed...

Posted by: yankiboy | April 30, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse