Olsen, Pontius and Soehn Speak

*Ben Olsen, on D.C. United beginning defense of its U.S. Open Cup title: "I am still shocked at how you win it and don't get a berth into the final round. But it's always about building a bigger case for trophies. As disappointing as last year was, we still managed to hold something up. I love the Open Cup. I love the history of it and the format of it is great. I hope we continue to do well in it."

*Chris Pontius, on what he learned from Friday's tie with New England and his two missed scoring opportunities: "I need to hit the ball far post and not try to kill it when I am in that position. I tried to kill the ball. Obviously we had our chances and we need to put the game away when we can."

*Coach Tom Soehn says Christian Gomez (hamstring) will not play tomorrow.

For more from Soehn, jump to the continuation of this thread.....

Soehn, on the Open Cup approach: "Obviously we are treating it like it's a must-win situation. We want to represent Open Cup best we can and also figuring in getting some guys some minutes that have deserved some, and some rest for others."

Soehn, on watching tape of Friday's game and New England's goal: "I was disappointed with the referee's decision because the throw was about 20 yards from where it went out of bounds. Three of our guys got caught on the wrong side. Beyond that, we didn't give them anything. We were defensively sound and the opportunities we created were plentiful. But we have to finish one of those early to get them to come out and play a little bit."

Soehn, on Louis Crayton's positioning on the Revs' goal: "I think if his starting points were higher, he probably could have gotten it. Andrew [Jacobson] could've got his head on it, but the throw-in caught us off-guard. In the end, it never should have developed."

Soehn, on Pontius's misses: "Times like that when you get into a game, your thought process is really quick and if he had to do it all over again, nine out of 10 times he is going to score those."

Soehn, on rookie keeper Milos Kocic: "He has done well. The one thing with Milos is that when he came in, he was fit, and that hasn't changed. He works tremendously hard every day. He is usually the last guy off the field. He is wanting to learn as much as he can. Whether he gets a game tomorrow or not, we are encouraged to see how he does because he has a huge upside."

By Steve Goff  |  April 21, 2009; 1:26 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United News & Notes
Next: Bocanegra to French Cup Final

Comments

I think I'd like to see Kocic get a game here. It's a good chance to get him some minutes before, at some point, having to turn to him for some reason in league play. I'd like to see what we have there.

Posted by: writered21 | April 21, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I agree writered21. Dallas is a weak team, with a great striker. We should easily handle them with 3 on our backline and Simms in front of them, and I think we should give the big kid a chance in goal.

Posted by: adamsunited | April 21, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

^

Posted by: DadRyan | April 21, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Steven - Is Gomez out just for Wednesday, or is he possibly out for Sunday as well?

I think Tino needs to go a whole game. I'd do it Wednesday unless Christian might be out Sunday, then I'd roll Q out only a half to 60 minutes on Wed.

Was Jaime practicing okay, he seemed a tad lame on Friday?

Posted by: dcufan | April 21, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Crayton might not be here too long. Soehn doesn't seem too pleased with his keeper. This goes back to the preseason.

I like our chances for tomorrow night's match.

Posted by: hardcoco | April 21, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I still don't agree with Soehn's thoughts on the goal. Sure, the throw-in should have been further back, but virtually every throw-in in any pro league gets moved up. Namoff shut off and got caught, no one tracked Joseph, Wallace was marking no one, Jacobson got caught between 2 choices and in the end wasn't truly marking either, and Joseph scored. Crayton was where he needed to be if we had any hope of him making a save. If he came for that ball, a collision with 2 very large players (Jacobson and Joseph) was assured, and that makes the odds of a good punch very low. Our chances were better with Crayton on his line trying to make a save.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 21, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm actually interested to see how we do/line up without him.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 21, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Fire Soehn.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 21, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to guess:
Kocic
Namoff Jakovic Burch
McT Simms Jacobson Wallace
Santino
Pontious Doe/N'Silu

I think they let Kocic get a shot here as opposed to in a league game. Maybe DiRimando or Barklage get a start at right mid instead.

Posted by: laur84 | April 21, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Any kinda of live feed for this game?

Posted by: boda-united | April 21, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I hope they take the game seriously -- and not just because I'll be there. I was really disappointed 2 years ago by the early exit. I really look forward to those Soccerplex games. It is so much a better place to watch a game than RFK. Folks are dissing the Dynamo's planned glorified high school stadium, but I bet the sightlines will be pretty good, as will be the atmosphere. This year, with the recent teases of Montgomery County legislators being interested in a DCU stadium, it would be a big deal to have a game or two there...with 5,000+ fans.

Nice to read that Pontius feels he's learning. You can't score if you don't put your shots on frame. I'd rather see a goalie make the save than have the shot sail high.

In defense of Jacobson -- I think the result makes his positioning look worse, but he was putting himself in position to play that cross. If Joseph doesn't jump in from out of nowhere, Andrew heads that ball clear. The only other thing he might have done was try to block out Joseph and let the ball go by. Sometimes ya gotta give the other team credit for their play.

Tough call on Crayton. If he was playing higher, he would have exposed the near (and far) post. He had a fraction of a second to decide. Once that fraction was gone, he had no chance of getting that ball.

Posted by: fischy | April 21, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

If Khumalo is still here, any chance he gets in?

Posted by: fischy | April 21, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

why does it seem like Soehn has an excuse for everything? Crying about where a throw-in was taken from seems awfully bush league.

Posted by: VTUnited | April 21, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Dang, VT, he wasn't "crying", he was answering a question with a fact.

Posted by: dcufan | April 21, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Has Simms recovered from what ever was wrong with him?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 21, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

This is so totally unrelated, but this video is so amazing I've already watched it twice. Put your head phones on... Most amazing bicycle handling skills I've EVER seen:

Posted by: DadRyan | April 21, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Tommy's right about the placement of the throw in by New England. The ref shouldn't have allowed that. And I was the only lad on this blog to remark about that factor over the weekend!

Posted by: billindmd | April 21, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: billindmd
***********************
Good eye.

I was at the game and didn't remember any "buildup" to the goal. Then when I watched the tape at home the TV cameras missed the throw-in as they were zooming in on Namoff so we could check out his facial complexion. It did look like Crayton had kicked the ball out near midfield and the next thing the TV images showed were Ralston and Wells playing a short passing sequence near the corner flag.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 21, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Any word on where the game is going to be aired?

Posted by: bighungry | April 21, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone is taping it bighungry, so it won't be aired anywhere.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 21, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Winning the US Open Cup last year did not remove the label of "failure" from last year's team. There is no upside to winning this worthless tin pot, and plenty of downside to even participating in terms of injury risk. Put out the youngest, greenest players we have, and get this worthless, money-losing waste of time over with.

Posted by: Ron16 | April 22, 2009 6:44 AM | Report abuse