Open Cup Matchnight: United-Dallas

Greetings from RFK.

Kickoff is 7:30 p.m. No TV coverage, so come on down! Weather outlook here.

A few pregame notes.....

*The Insider told you last week that former DCU developmental players Pat and Jeff Carroll as well as Ryan Cordeiro were going to sign with USL2 Real Maryland. Today it became official. However, Real also signed another ex-DCUer: midfielder Sergio Salas. Remember him?! He made one appearance in the 2000 season. Most recently, he was playing in Bolivia. Real opens league play Saturday at home against Bermuda.

*It seems the U.S. Open Cup champion this year is not necessarily guaranteed a berth in the 2010-11 Champions League. According to the USSF, the CL format has yet to be finalized by CONCACAF, which means the federation cannot yet approve a slot for the Open Cup winner. Expectations are, however, that the champion will advance.

Back later with the DCU lineup and subs.
DCU: Kocic; Namoff, Janicki, Burch; Khumalo, Jacobson, McTavish, Barklage (playmaker), Fred; Quaranta, Pontius. Subs: Wicks, Peters, DiRaimondo, Jakovic, Wallace, Moreno, Emilio. (Olsen, Simms, Doe, N'Silu, Crayton, Gomez not in uniform.)

As usual, this is the place for pregame, in-game and postgame discussion. If you are following the Toronto-Chivas USA league match, your comments are welcome as well.

By Steve Goff  |  April 22, 2009; 4:54 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , U.S. Open Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United's Lineup?
Next: Americans Abroad, Wed. Edition

Comments

Vamos United!
See ya at the stadium party people!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 22, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Note the 7:30 starting time.

I got an e-mail from DC United. My ticket -- maybe yours, too -- has the wrong starting time. It's a 7:30 start, not the 8:00 it says on my ticket.

I still think it would probably be quicker to take the Beltway West, but it's a close call. There might be a back-up, there might not be....

Posted by: fischy | April 22, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

If you're going early, definitely go the other way, to the GW Pkwy.

Posted by: fischy | April 22, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

"D.C. United tells me that, indeed, it will produce a video highlight package from tonight's match and post it on their Web site by tomorrow morning."

Yay! Thx, goffinho!

Now, all we need is a GOOD highlight package.... :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | April 22, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing we see Khumalo. Might even be the reason there has been no announcement on John yet. With Gomez down, and Moreno and Olsen likely to sit (not to mention that Quaranta and Fred have only been late subs), DCU probably feels more of a need for a M/F rather than a D, for tonight's game.

Posted by: fischy | April 22, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

My usual jogging route took me past Lot8. Plenty of dedicated BBers and SGers on hand. I'll be heading backup there shortly, weather looks good but plenty windy. Come on people, show up!

Posted by: mbetka23 | April 22, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

So Steve, new picture. Looking forward to the game, right now the weather looks so much better than earlier today.

Posted by: griffin1108 | April 22, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

So, just to clarify...

NO MLSlive.tv/matchcenter, and no illegal/barely legal free online broadcasts on sites like justin.tv?

I know Goff wouldn't post anything about the latter, but if any poster knows, that would be great! Otherwise, I'm watching the Rangers-Caps game. Which I might do anyway...

Posted by: kdiff813 | April 22, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

@kdiff813,

There has to be a broadcast of the game in order for it to be streamed on the interwebs. There's no broadcast. Just cameras recording to tape.

Posted by: the_slammer | April 22, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Any word on a radio stream, as their over- air signal doesn't reach Dumfries. I should check the DCU website.

Posted by: zosodave | April 22, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

by the way Goff, nice new duds on the photo above . . .

Let's go UNITED!!! Time to get some players into form .. Tino, Fred, etc .

Posted by: delantero | April 22, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

WACA has an online feed of their radio.

Posted by: jason1551 | April 22, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Staff must be unhappy with Doe!

Posted by: hoyanick1 | April 22, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

And here's the English feed link:

Posted by: jason1551 | April 22, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Wrong with my lineup prediction, yet again...

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 22, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

www.wtop.com is not the link!

Posted by: no_recess | April 22, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

you're not going to find video, I don't believe it is being televised at any level of broadcasting. What do they do with those flat screens in the suites in this case? cartoon network?

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | April 22, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

WFED Sports Radio Link

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 22, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Why isn't the radio broadcasting?

Posted by: StewartDC8 | April 22, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Goal!!

Fred 20'

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 22, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

well, I should say, Why isn't the radio broadcasting the game, what's going on??

Posted by: StewartDC8 | April 22, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

@StewartDC8

Did you click on the link I gave?

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 22, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

I've got the game on, good to hear Limarzi...

Go here:

and click on the link for 1050 AM.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 22, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Its not working for me, it's loading a blank page...
i'll try with IE, i'm using Firefox

Posted by: StewartDC8 | April 22, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

OH ok, my fault. I use Safari and QuickTIme, the player shows up on the bottom of the page.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 22, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Halftime: RBNY 0-1 DCU.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 22, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

I got it! It worked with IE... but now it's halftime. lol

Posted by: StewartDC8 | April 22, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

man, I head "Van den Burgh" and I thought RBNY. It's FCD they're playing.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 22, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Barklage has a nice shot on him.
COME ON UNITED!

Posted by: StewartDC8 | April 22, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

I thought the Caps had changed since the 1980s. They have - the old Caps at least took it to seven games and lost - these Caps just look lost.

After all of this time with DCU I'm still not convinced with Fred, but perhaps he can become our US Open Cup specialist. Let's close this out DCU!

Posted by: diego_r | April 22, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

GOAL DCU -- Barklage from Quaranta. 2-0 DCU

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 22, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOl Barklage!!!

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | April 22, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Goal!!

Barklage 66'

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 22, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm not at the game tonight because my family was having dinner for my dad's birthday. So, I'm following on United's Twitter feed, and I've read about 600 complaints about how it's so unbelievably awful and unfair (or, if there are any Stella fans out there, "literally the Irish Potato Famine") that we have to qualify as champions.

Know your history: Most past Open Cups just took the best X teams from MLS the previous season; if you were below that line, you had no recourse. No qualifying, nothing. The Open Cup gives MLS 8 spots; we were not among MLS's top 8 teams. Frankly, the fact that we're being given a shot at qualifying is better than what our fate would have been just a few years ago.

Am I just committing another act of soccer fan heresy by not feeling victimized here? And if so, at what point should I start to expect the Inquisition to show up at my door?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 22, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Final: FCD 0-2 DCU. Goals by Fred and Barklage...

Sure sounded like the reserves were playing well. Of course, Limarzi could make watching paint dry exciting to listen to. :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 22, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Chest, never forget: NOOOOOOObody expects the US Soccer Federation Inquisition!

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 22, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

SportzNut21:

The sublime finish to my slow roller across the goalmouth.

***

Barklage sounded impressive. When he made his cameo against Chicago, he managed to miss on a very heavy shot. I was wondering if it was just a one-off (I remember Namoff hitting a missile from 30+ yards way back in the day at a game at the Soccerplex, an act now about as likely as Crayton playing an uneventful game in goal), but it appears that he just has a cannon for a shot. It also appears that, at least for us, he's going to be a central player.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 22, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 22, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------------------------

I'm with you. Besides, if it were some other MLS team, I bet much of our fan base would scream bloody murder if their fans expected a break. MLS has always based things on the previous season's record. People need to deal.

I wonder if the CONCACAF bid hold up could have anything to do with the federation maybe taking an MLS spot away because of poor performance last year. That would be a little unfair after just one year, IMHO, if that's the case.

Posted by: beach3 | April 22, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Chest: I couldn't care less, either. But DC did win -- besides, it isn't as if DCU's schedule is packed like last year's.

Posted by: Reignking | April 22, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

DC had Dallas-like attendance tonight...

Posted by: Reignking | April 22, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

I'll give Khumalo a 9 on the hairdo tonight. Pontius: solid but need to finish, watching him cringe each time he missed made me cringe. He'll get this together.

Quaranra, awesome, looked great. Had a couple of chances there and the assist was a beauty.

Barklage, I like this guy.

Carne Asada Stand: As always, a 10.

Posted by: mbetka23 | April 22, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

A nice win. Dallas was pathetic. DC controlled pretty much the entire match. Tino kept shooting right at the GK on his wide open chances. Fred missed a couple of easy ones too. Nobody really seemed to want to shoot in the first half. I am guessing the halftime instructions were to shoot more because I think we took 5 shots in the first couple of minutes of the second half.

I am not sure it made sense to put Jaime out there when we were up a couple of goals but it didn't appear to hurt him.

Kocic looked a bit shaky but had almost nothing to do all night. He was nowhere close to the PK which was probably lucky enough since it rebounded off the post and Cooper touched it before anyone else did for the second touch violation.

But I suppose it is hard to complain too much. Boyzzz looked pretty good. The defense was strong. McTavish was excellent in the midfield. Jacobsen had a very good game. Barklage was quite solid in addition to the goal. Pontius also was playing well. I was surprised he went out before Tino.

Posted by: fedssocr | April 22, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

i am fine with having to qualify, it's not like cup games are lucrative or anything.

plus, we got the ccl spot for winning. if that goes away, then going through would make sense.

nice win, boys.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | April 22, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

The competition was non-existent, but that was the best DCU has looked this year. If Fred hadn't screwed up so many good attacks, it would have been a rout. 4-0 or even 5-0. Fred made some great runs, but had trouble pulling the trigger -- missed a fairly easy goal early on, when he put it wide with only the goalie in front of him. he seemed afraid to use his left foot, and then didn't line up his right-footed shot correctly. He was also way wide on a header. On his breakaway goal, there almost no way to mess that one up. If it sounds like I'm being harsh, I don't mean to be -- he was crucial in United's forcing the play, and he was a beast up and down the field. He ran down Dellarosso in the corner when he had a one-v-one with Burch. He almost singlehandedly created a goal with hustle when he raced up to steal a ball from a defender, but Khumalo then turned it over. It was probably the single best performance by anyone in a Untied uniform this year -- maybe even the last 2 years -- if only Fred had done a better job finishing.

If Fred turned in the best performance by a United player so far, Quaranta's play might have been second best. He is great when he's running with the ball and creating chances for teammates. Where he goes wrong sometimes is in trying shots from too far out, and in taking free kicks. Fortunately, he was allowed only one free kick. He did a create job working with Fred and Barklage on the left side. I believe he was involved in a give-and-go with Pontius that was absolutely clinical, before Pontius set up Fred's goal. (It might not have been Quaranta -- I'm already unsure who it was) That goal was easily the best looking play that United has executed this year.

Posted by: fischy | April 22, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

@Chest -- Barklage did look pretty good. Better than I expected. I don't know if he'll ever score again, but he showed a lot of confidence on the ball and a decent amount of skill to justify that confidence.

Others?

Burch -- had one great move, but mostly he still looks like a turnover waiting to happen when the ball's at his foot. On the other hand, he took 2 strong free kicks. and he continues to look comfortable as a defender. He made a crucial stop on a 2v2 breakaway. It's exactly the opposite of what you expect from a converted forward, but his defense is the strongest part of his game.

Kocic -- a little shaky when he came out. One punch was anemic, and Dallas almost chipped the empty goal off the loose ball. He also dropped one. But, he did have a shutout -- and he did make most of the plays. I'd say he looked better than Wells on the high crosses. Since Dallas had no shots on goal (other than Cooper's missed PK), we still don't know if he's a shot-blocker.

Khumalo -- If he was playing for his job, I don't know if he did enough to save it -- though he did serve up a couple of good corners, and his header was the toughest save the Dallas keeper had to make. Personally, I'd rather see him off the bench than Doe or N'Silu. I like what he brings to the team.

Nice effort from United.

Posted by: fischy | April 22, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Barklage played his butt off. He was all over the place -- disrupting attacks and starting a bunch of his own. Honestly, it was only a matter of time before he got himself a goal.

That said, Dallas was just woeful. Mayhaps Schellas Hyndman should go back to coaching college kids?

Posted by: Juan-John | April 22, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Barklage really stood out for me tonight - and I mean even without the goal. Not enough data available to give an informed, intelligent opinion but we may have found ourselves a playa here folks. At this point, I’m very impressed by him.

Pontius & Fred need to go to finishing school. Yeah, I know Fred got a goal but he left one or two on the table, too. I don’t mean to sound critical, but it’s a long way to the top if you wanna rock n’ roll. (I'd prefer a Little Feat reference but AC/DC fits better)

Personally, I feel terrific about having some young blood on the team who we might see in United colors for many years to come (e.g.- Pontius, Wallace, Jacobson). It was a treat to see them, United’s future, for so many minutes without all the veteran’s tonight. Great teams are built around a strong core and these guys might be that.

The last two games United has had long periods of play where they were able to connect many passes. I’m starting to feel pretty good about our team this year. Up till now I haven’t known what to expect with so many changes. It’s a bit early, again not enough data, but I think there’s a good chance United is a team that’s going to get better and better over the course of the season.

Someone please sacrifice a goat to the injury god! We were all disappointed, but who’s knows how last season would’ve turned out were United not an infirmary ward. I really like the fact we have a somewhat fewer games this year. As has previously been noted by others, the MLS salary cap simply does not provide the roster depth to go through 3 or 4 tournaments in addition to league play and allow a team to succeed. Better to do what you do do well.

Vamos United!

Posted by: KireDCU | April 22, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Oh, one more thing. While we didn't score on them I liked how we look on our direct kicks in their end. On frame and with velocity. At least a couple their keeper couldn't handle and had to bat out, giving us an opportunity on the rebound.

Final note, one day United will learn to score on corner kicks again. What was it, like 8 in the first half?! Pope, calling Eddie Pope. At least we have a few players with size now which raises the odds.

Posted by: KireDCU | April 23, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

@Kire -- Corner kicks have been a problem for this team. Barklage served up a beaut which Khumalo almost put away. And Khumalo served up a good one, but Fred's header was way wide. Mostly, the corners could've been better, but it's been at least a couple of years since we had a good target man.

Burch's free kicks were lasers, as usual -- but maybe too straight to beat the keeper. As I said above, I was fairly impressed with Barklage. I'd say he's a find, for sure -- but that's pretty much what I said when I first watched Cordeiro in a USOC match.

Mostly, what I loved about this game was the way United moved the ball around to create chances. This was classic United style, and done with mostly young American players on the pitch -- and a pleasing contrast to Dallas' inartistic long balls into the box strategy. Good stuff. Bodes well for the future.

Posted by: fischy | April 23, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Fischy - you don't like Burch over the ball on direct free kicks? To me, that's one thing that makes these B games worth paying to see.

What a feeding frenzy, and yeah the score should have been higher. They all put on a great show tonight and deserve high marks. McT and Janicki looked fit, tho Janicki did s- his pants on an early header on offense. He settled down quickly and played some nice D.

Tino, Fred, Pontius - sure we all would like to see better finishing. The one you hate to but have to single out is Boyzzz. Dude, you got to find the nettt. You're fun to watch, but so is my niece, and you only have one more MLS goal than she does. Tick, tock, tick, tock...

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 23, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

I'm just pissed that I'll never get to see Barklage's goal. I'm quite interested.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 23, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

I was happily surprised with the line up this evening. From where I was watching it seemed that Quaranta suffered some unlucky service and volleys straight at Big Burse. Nice seeing him so far forward though. Would love to see it again.

Fred finally calmed down and finished another one when it counted. Is he our Open Cup King or what? Glad others got some rest. 4 subs helps. Glad we didn't need extra time to put this game away.

Soooo, Doe was up in the Mezz and not in the 18.... Weird thing to me is that the last time I sat close enough to notice a player in the Mezz it was D. Murphy and he was soon kicked to the curb when Boyzzz and Janicki came into the fold last season....
Was tonight Khumalo's swan song or is Doe gone?

Good times this evening. Nice to meet some new people and get a positive result. I owe you some Ultras next time around Smitty!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 23, 2009 12:45 AM | Report abuse

United Demon: Goff says some highlights will be up on United's site by morning!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 23, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

@Dad -- Who is D. Murphy? You mean Justin Moose, perhaps? Or Dan Stratford?

Posted by: fischy | April 23, 2009 12:51 AM | Report abuse

So was Cooper whistled offside after the botched PK? That's what it was right? Or did he foul someone? Offside right? NO County on the rebound onion bag bulge?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 23, 2009 12:51 AM | Report abuse

@ Dad -- Cooper's goal was disqualified because he touched the ball twice in succession on a set play. In other words, when the ball came back to him on a rebound (off the post)-- without ever being touched by another player -- he fouled by playing it.

Posted by: fischy | April 23, 2009 12:58 AM | Report abuse

@fischy: I knew it was something like that. You don't call it offside? I really not trying to open up another can of these worms, but in explaining it to the hundreds of people I know who will be on the edge of their seat tomorrow wondering about it, it's good to know.
;-)
Essentially he was offside right?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 23, 2009 1:21 AM | Report abuse

In his gamer -- http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/22/AR2009042204167.html -- Goff notes Doe's high salary as a possible reason why he might be the one to go when Avery John signs.

Has anyone run the numbers to know how much cap space United has? Of course, Crayton's contract is up this summer, which might complicate things. But, I'm wondering how much room United has to work with, for the summer transfer window. We no longer have that extra DP slot, true?

Posted by: fischy | April 23, 2009 1:21 AM | Report abuse

@ Dad -- no, not really offside. It's the same rule that applies on a free kick. You can't hit it twice, in succession. If you want to strike a rolling ball, you have someone else tap it first. It has nothing to do with being behind the defense. If Kocic had saved the shot -- even a tiny deflection into the post -- then Cooper could have played it in for a goal. It's only waived off because Cooper hit the shot -- it came back to him, without ever being touched -- and he played the ball again.

I didn't get it, when I saw it myself. Had to ask someone why it was disqualified.

Posted by: fischy | April 23, 2009 1:27 AM | Report abuse

Dad -- Before you ask -- if the offsides rule applied, then Cooper couldn't score off a save by the goalie. In regular play, if you're standing offside, you're not allowed to play the ball even as a rebound from the goalie. The offside rule, by definition applies to balls played in by teammates.

So, with a PK, it's different. It's not offside, because it has nothing to do with Cooper's position -- it's touching the ball twice in succession.

Now, it might get interesting if the ball came off the post to another Dallas player who played it towards the net, and then Cooper touched it. That wouldn't be twice in succession, but it would probably be offside.

Posted by: fischy | April 23, 2009 1:37 AM | Report abuse

10-4 fischy. One could assume if this wasn't the rule a very accurate player could maybe gain an advantage by hitting the cross bar on purpose or the post and sending the keeper one way and scoring on the second touch...? I'd rather take my chances on burying the first shot, but yes, it was a weird play, and people I was with were surprised it wasn't a goal. I was clapping when the ref signaled what I thought was a foul and Kocic got a free kick...not a goal kick right? You don't have to answer if I'm right. Free kick, not goal kick....Dude I must not have drank enough to be discussing this...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | April 23, 2009 1:49 AM | Report abuse

Seeing your other question fischy.. Dane Murphy. Our #17 before Boyzzzz. Member? Reserve. Nice kid. Nice Mom.... Grumpy dad.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 23, 2009 1:51 AM | Report abuse

I'm not surprised at all to hear Fred struggled to score. His first year here, he managed 7 goals but didn't get his first until like late May or June, and found himself with enough very promising moments (mostly behind the defense, 1v1 with the keeper, at a slight angle) to have kept up with Emilio's scoring pace that season. He has a great knack for getting into promising spots by cutting in at the right moment, so he's always going to find himself with good chances to score.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 23, 2009 6:29 AM | Report abuse