Poll: United Tonight

D.C. United is close to full strength, New England is hurting. DCU (1-1-2) is home but still a work in progress. The Revs (2-0-1) have not played in almost two weeks. The sun is shining, the mighty Anacostia never looked so fine, and RFK is still standing (as of 10 a.m.). So I have got to ask.....

By Steve Goff  |  April 17, 2009; 10:38 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Poll
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Kickaround
Next: Matchnight #5: United-Revolution

Comments

Form tends to work in cycles. Last week was a weaker performance. Tonight will be a strong one. With Jaime, Janicki and Ben back, I anticipate a W.

Posted by: mddeblois | April 17, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

COME ON UNITED !!! I feel the beginnings of a long winning streak !! Black and Red forever ( in DC )!!

Posted by: patrick18 | April 17, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Can't wait for the game. Of course, it looks like I'm in the minority here... Go Revs!

Posted by: revsfanindc | April 17, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

United 2:1 Revs

I would love this to be a cleansheet, but dont see it happening. This could be the first game we go down a goal first and then make a comeback for the win. Emilio keeps his streak alive and bags two!!!

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | April 17, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

The United will win easily tonight in front of 20,000.

"...the mighty Anacostia never looked so fine..." -- Ha!

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | April 17, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Hat Trick Emilio! Party Boy with a goal himself and two assists.
Jaime with a PK.
United 5 Revs 0!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 17, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

@PowerBoater69: Please don't call it "the Anacostia," it just "Anacostia."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 17, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

United 2, Revs 0.

Goff wears his nice LL Bean button down that he's sporting in the photo above. Fellow media types in the press box congratulate him on his attire.

Reignking spills a beer on the back of the guy in front of him. It's delantero.

Sitruc accidentally throws his wallet along with his empty in the trash bin outside Lot 8.

Dadryan tosses little dadryan up in the air three times in celebration after Jaime scores a PK. Baby and dad are fine.

I-270 remains at home, watching "Highlander."

BlackandRedRedDevil is busy grilling an ACLU lawyer, but gets updates via Blackberry.

TheDudeAbides forgets there's a game, then remembers too late, but doesn't care.

Chico talks Revsfanindc down off the Case bridge.

I get back to work...

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 17, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

@I-270

Well played, sir...well played.

Posted by: the_slammer | April 17, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Ok...seriously, that's not fair, joedoc1. I'm nearly crying from laughter since I just put holds on two checking accounts since some cards were taken from one of my wallets(part of the reason I normally have two or three). FWIW, I'm pretty sure it was the friend of a now ex-girlfriend.

Posted by: sitruc | April 17, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Joedoc, you got it backwards. I'll be at the game and getting updates about the tree-hugging opposing lawyer on my Blackberry. Truth told, I'm a divorce lawyer. Okay, fischy have at me with the hypocrisy of right wing family values and being a divorce lawyer.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | April 17, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

"New England is hurting"

For half a second, I thought Eric Bickel took over the SI for Goff...

Posted by: VTUnited | April 17, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I've watched four MLS Cups...I'm tougher than that!!
In other news, kudos to the DC marketing department- they just did a sweep of a majority female college campus with some attractive young males... Lots more United fans on campus now than this morning! On principal, I was obligated to give them a hard time.

Posted by: revsfanindc | April 17, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

"the mighty Anacostia never looked so fine"

=====================================

Thanks for the laugh Goff. Give it some time, I'm sure you'll spot a body or something in that lovely river.

I'm gonna have to DVR the game since I'm going to have to leave for my indoor soccer game at halftime. Figure I'll just watch all of it when I get home and do my best to avoid the game before I leave.

If DCU loses what are the odds of some Soehn-firing talk?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 17, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Sweet. Do you practice MD law? If Mrs 270 ever files on the basis that I spend too much time watching soccer, it would be pretty intimidating to have my attorney show up to the meetings in a DC United jersey.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 17, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I-270. I'm licensed in Virginia, and as you would be the first to note --- Maryland is waaaay too far for Virginians to travel.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | April 17, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

such a beaut of a day for a game.....

will be driving like Spy Hunter to get to the tgate and gizzame!

VAMOS UNITED!!!!

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | April 17, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I prefer bonghits4myself. Exactly what I'll do b4 I go to the pool later today.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 17, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

"New England is hurting"

For half a second, I thought Eric Bickel took over the SI for Goff...

Posted by: VTUnited

I believe that would be "hurt-ting". Money.

RFK is a money metal house.

Posted by: Reignking | April 17, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

PMcP, yet another example of why I'm not confident Social Security will be there when I retire.

I am pleased with the overwhelming confidence that United will earn at least a point tonight.

Sorry to hear about your wallet problems, sitruc! Another reason to go cash-only...

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 17, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

You know, Joe Doc, the government can still track your spending and location with those secret GPS microchips embedded in cash.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 17, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

You really have to ask me whether United are going to win or not?

Sorry. My progamming is limited.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 17, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

"New England is hurting"

For half a second, I thought Eric Bickel took over the SI for Goff...

Posted by: VTUnited

I believe that would be "hurt-ting". Money.

RFK is a money metal house.

Posted by: Reignking | April 17, 2009 1:42 PM |

haha, I do love RFK, but its kinda felted.

Posted by: VTUnited | April 17, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

i'd hardly call RFK a pool...

well maybe last season....

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | April 17, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

""Reignking spills a beer on the back of the guy in front of him. It's delantero.""

Won't be the first time that's happened at RFK . . won't be the last . . .

Might I add . .

Pontius nets the game winner. A fan runs into the 18 yard box with a boombox on his arm, starts dancing and whips off his snap on sweats to reveal a g string . . . . DC Cops look at each other thinking "we don't get paid enough"

Posted by: delantero | April 17, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Delantero, did Chest give you a heads-up or somethin'?

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 17, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

@joedoc Another reason to go cash-only:

Ode to DC United

As sure as night is dark and day is light
I keep you on my mind both day and night
And happiness I've known proves that it's right
Because you're mine, I take the Blue Line

You've got a way to keep me on your side
You give me cause for love that I can't hide
For you I know I'd even try to turn the tide
Because you're mine, I take the Yellow Line

I keep a close watch on this heart of mine
I keep my eyes wide open all the time
I keep the ends out for the tie that binds
Because you're mine, I take the Orange Line

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | April 17, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

"did Chest give you a heads-up or somethin'?"

Let's just say I got my camera ready . .

Posted by: delantero | April 17, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I-270: wouldn't it be a lot more intimidating to have HER lawyer show up sporting an Olsen jersey?

Posted by: joshuaostevens | April 17, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

From the tone of this thread, it's obvious that some folks have broken into the beer early. Let's hope they're already in Lot 8 (rather than have yet to get on the road).

Here's my take:
--2 weeks off plus a recent game for DCU, that means the Revs will start slowly. A quick start by DCU (and trends have shown that with early goals) could put NE back on their heels, get the crowd going rauciously, and force NE to push forward (further exposing the backline). So if your'e NE, you want to weather an early storm.
--Unless we get some early goals, expect an ugly game. NE and Nicol do a superb job at "body ball" (fouls off the ball, shoving people to the turf, grabbing players trying to get downfield), they're well coached, midfield will be congested and people like Laurentowicz and Olsen won't hesitate to administer the pain. This is not a match designed for beautiful, flowing soccer. How sharp our guys are will determine who wins (unless we get some early goals). Expect a lot of restarts, a lot of fouls, lots of 50-50 balls. We'll pressure their backline, our guys (especially the backline) still has a tendency to play too directly. Balls will be flying. But this year, we appear to be a team that is okay with that kind of soccer.

Posted by: JoeW1 | April 17, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Who's ref? And how many bad calls can we expect? I mean, at sometime, the pendulum has to swing back in our favor .. . Mr. Murhpy?

Posted by: delantero | April 17, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Several Freedom players will be in attendance at the game. I have already mentally checked out from work.

DCU 3, NE 1. The over/under on Steve Nichol having temper trantrums with the 4th official is set at two. Place your bets.

Posted by: MR1Caretaker | April 17, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Referees for tonight:

Jair Muffaro (middle)
Craig Lowry (AR1 near bench)
Natahn Clement (AR2 barra side)
Mark Geiger (4th official)

Posted by: MR1Caretaker | April 17, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Referees for tonight:

Jair Muffaro (middle)

Posted by: MR1Caretaker | April 17, 2009 3:52 PM

Great....

Posted by: VTUnited | April 17, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Wonderful, we get the New England "Somebody kick somebody!" Revolution and Jair "Here LA, have a free penalty for absolutely no reason" Marrufo all at once.

I don't make DCU predictions for superstitious reasons. However, I will say that the game hinges on a couple points.

First, can Gomez, Olsen, and Simms make the extra man count against Joseph and Larentowicz (who is questionable with a hip problem, though Nicol in the past has played some games with the injury list...guess he learned something from Gillette's other head coach)? If Larentowicz can't go, we could see Pat Phelan as a straight replacement or Ralston as a central playmaker and Nyassi on the right. Hope for the former. I feel like Nicol will want to make this one a scrap rather than a game, so I'm leaning towards expecting Ralston on the right and 2 defensive midfielders in the middle. If we can enter that part of the field, keep the ball, and move it wide or forward effectively, we will control the game. Otherwise, it will be an ugly affair and we will get caught out more than once by Joseph's mid and long range passes.

Second point: If Ralston is indeed on the wing, can Wallace shut him down? Obviously, in a physical battle, Wallace will have no trouble at all. However, Ralston is smart enough to avoid that sort of thing (which is why he's still playing). If Wallace can apply enough pressure on Ralston to force him to have to play sideways and backwards, it's hard to see where the Revs will create chances from beyond set pieces. It's also worth noting that Ralston could get some help from Albright, which would complicate things.

Point #3: The first half hour will be bigger than normal. An early lead and strong play will hopefully help us establish something less of a battle than the Revs would like. If we get to the half hour mark and the game is lacking in chances or fluency, I think it will continue that way throughout, with one team bundling in the odd trash goal. I'd much rather control the game than go with the coin toss of the latter scenario. The good news is that, other than in LA, we've started pretty well. It would be nice if we push the Revs into the deep end of the pool from the get-go.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 17, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Obama don't know Jack.

Jack gets invitation, but declines to attend
Friday, April 17th 2009
Trinidad Express

Chaguanas MP Jack Warner yesterday received an invitation at 1.49 p.m. to attend the opening ceremony of the Fifth Summit of the Americas at the Hyatt Regency Hotel, Port of Spain.

Warner, a Vice President of the world football governing body, FIFA, said while he holds the event and its distinguished participants in high esteem, he could not subscribe to the "wanton wastage, lack of accountability and callous disregard for the needs of the citizens", which have been the features of the preparation for the event. "More importantly, why for an event that has been in the planning for four years, it has only now been decided to extend an invitation to me as a kind of after-thought," he said. He has therefore declined to attend the event.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 17, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Anybody in the parking lot 8 at 6? I have a half hour to kill before my group shows.

Look for me. I'll be wearing a DC United jersey...

Posted by: JkR- | April 17, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Look for me. I'll be wearing a DC United jersey...

Posted by: JkR- | April 17, 2009 4:26 PM
***********************

You gotta be a lot more specific. For instance I'll be there wearing a black DC United shirt, blue jeans and size 10 adidas Sambas.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 17, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Excellent! I'm sporting brown LL Bean hikers!

Typically Parked along the tree line at the entrance close to the tunnel, Gold Explorer Sport Trac. Give a shout

Posted by: JkR- | April 17, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see UMd getting killed.

Posted by: Reignking | April 17, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane

Will you also be the one holding a beer, Joel?

Posted by: Kev29 | April 17, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

"The" parking lot 8?

Signing off, Insider colleagues. If you're at the Freedom game tomorrow, look for me by the media area. I'll be wearing Sambas, too...

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 17, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately economic circumstances have prevented my trip up for the match.

That, and I have a rugby match down here tomorrow.

I predict goals from Olsen and McTavish.

Posted by: alecw81 | April 17, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

So is this going to be the match night thread?... Come on Goff, I don't want to bring up Whole Foods again.;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | April 17, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I don't want to bring up whole foods either, but I am a bit queasy.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 17, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse