Saturday Kickaround

*Frank Lampard takes on a radio announcer about comments made about the Chelsea midfielder's personal life.

*MLS today:
Chicago at Columbus, 7 (FSC)
New England at Real Salt Lake, 9
Los Angeles at Colorado, 9:30
Dallas at Chivas USA, 10:30
San Jose at Seattle, 10:30

*Houston signs Coach Dominic Kinnear to a contract extension.

*Chivas USA placed Canadian defender Ante Jazic (concussion) on the disabled list, which means he will miss at least six more matches.

*Crystal Palace Baltimore opened its USL2 schedule earned a 2-0 victory over visiting Bermuda on goals by Dan Lader in the 16th minute and Val Teixeira in the 51st. Real Maryland debuts at 6 p.m. tonight against Bermuda in Rockville.

*Sirius/XM Radio announced that it will broadcast live the first leg of the Euro Champions League semifinals this Tuesday (Barcelona-Chelsea) and Wednesday (Manchester United-Arsenal). You can find them on Sirius Channel 125 and XM Channel 102. The satellite service will also cover the second legs May 5-6 and the final May 27.

By Steve Goff  |  April 25, 2009; 9:25 AM ET
Categories:  England , Euro Champions League , MLS , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United's Lineup?
Next: Matchday #6: United-Red Bulls

Comments

What is with all of these MLS players getting concussions? I don't remember this happening in such bucket-loads in years past, and I don't hear about concusions in other leagues. Are we playing in some whacky style? Is MLS just a very physical league? Or have I may simply not be paying attention, and soccer has always had its share of concussions?

Posted by: glfrazier | April 25, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Sirius/XM will also have the Virginia Tech Spring game...

Posted by: sitruc | April 25, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Sirius/XM will also have the Virginia Tech Spring game...

Posted by: sitruc

They'll do anything for content these days.

Good for Lampard -- but I'm not sure radio was meant for video (youtube).

Posted by: Reignking | April 25, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

We are going to see Real Maryland tonight and Northern Virginia Royals when they play at Fairfax High, tho we might go to the other stadium too, if not going to see United or Freedom. Refresh my memory, I thought when we first got Clyde Simms from Richmond, that the Royals were down men and we sent Clyde and a few others over to help out. Am I remembering right?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | April 25, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

One coach signs an extension, another resigns (John Carver, according to Ives).

Posted by: Section117 | April 25, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Man U/Spurs about to kick off. Tks. for the Real MD tip. I am going to check out that game even though Bermuda will likely replace Real MD as the USL-2 bottom dweller.

Goffer - any chance you get Paul T to get a Freedom post going in the am tomorrow for the FC Gold game? I expect major lineup changes given lack of results so far and b/c the French connection (Bompastor) is unavailable due to national team duty.

Posted by: MR1Caretaker | April 25, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

@glfrazier

They may not be reported as much. If you dig around there have been a few stories on it, mostly high school injuries.

I think there were a few stories in the UK media back when Peter Cech had his head injury. Didn't the backup keeper go out with a head injury a shortly after?

Posted by: addick | April 25, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | April 25, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

The Freedom fan club is encouraging people to assemble at Kitty O'Shea's in Arlington tomorrow, starting at 5:30 p.m. The gathering at the Capitol Lounge to watch the inaugural match against the Sol several weeks ago was a lot of fun. I hope this is just as good.

Posted by: universityandpark | April 25, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

@universityandpark

Kitty O'Shea's is a small place. Better get there early if you want a good seat.

Posted by: MR1Caretaker | April 25, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the tip, MR1C. I hope the Freedom supporters knew what they were doing when they selected this place.

Posted by: universityandpark | April 25, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I was going to try and get to Kitty O'Shea's to watch the United game and then stay for the Freedom. I liked watching the game at the Cap Lounge and I have never been to O'Shea's - I hope they have some good tvs.

Posted by: soccerfan80 | April 25, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

1-2 ManU down...I flip around the channels, come back 10 minutes later, and they are scoring #5.

Posted by: Reignking | April 25, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I wish we were signing Dominic Kinnear to a contract extension.

Posted by: diego_r | April 25, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Section117:

I never thought Carver was much more than an average MLS coach, but he was definitely the best quote. I'm not sure a coaching change will do much for them either way, since their talent in central defense and up top is still too weak to match the unreasonable hype they got coming into the season.

addick:

Cech suffered a fractured skull in the 1st minute of a game. Later in that same game, Cudicini was also hit in the head by an opposing striker in a similar situation and ended up with a concussion. John Terry finished the game in goal.

***

I jumped into the Man. U.-Spurs game with the score 2-0, just as Tevez came on. Before I finished eating my Chinese leftovers, it was 5-2 the other way. The excitement perhaps even made a slight dent in my Englennui, though that is tempered by having to break the news to my dad (a Spurs fan) in a little while when he stops in.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 25, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

MLSnet has confirmation of the Carver resignation for "personal reasons". I wonder if they have anything to do with his frequent tirades on the sidelines and postgame usually about the officiating.

Posted by: fedssocr | April 25, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

ManU!!!!! Good for Sirius/ XM. they finally woke up?

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 25, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Golazooooooooooooooo Morenooooooooo!

Good game, chicago-columbus...

Posted by: Reignking | April 25, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Padulla sees red in Columbus, can we expect a step by step, 50 plus post analysis or was it legit?

Posted by: delantero | April 25, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Has Noonan seen the pitch this season or is he injured?

Posted by: delantero | April 25, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

another horrendous call from mls refs. Dear MLS or USSF, please bring some accountability for these horrendous horrendous calls. Suspend them, fine them to bring some quality here fair calls here.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 25, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Comish correctly talks about player quality. Yes, bring quality refs too.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 25, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Umm Goff, the lineups box/sidebar next to your pre-gamer on Avery John:

. . . says "Chicago Probable Starters."

Thought you might wanna let Tracee or someone know... :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | April 26, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Never mind -- looks like it was fixed.

Posted by: Juan-John | April 26, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Watching the Revs get DESTROYED was quite entertaining. Even more goals in the second half than ManU scored today

Posted by: carmines757 | April 26, 2009 1:03 AM | Report abuse

""The attack should do just fine without Doe, who had seven goals in 19 appearances in all competitions last year.""

So roundabout 35 games or so of an MLS season, that's a hopeful . . 10-13 goals per season for a measly 80K .. . whereas our other strikers are lighting it up and have been proven to score in big games (NE last year)?

In the meantime, an aging defender is brought in to reinforce a defense for Khumalo .. er Doe :) . . . . "While Doe fell out of favor"

It's not that it's Doe v Khumalo . . it's WHY Avery John? Both Khumalo and Doe bring something different to the team . . does Avery? I'm guessing not.

Posted by: delantero | April 26, 2009 1:08 AM | Report abuse

It's Avery John because there's nobody else available, and LB is definitely a more pressing concern than 4th/5th string Forward right now.

Posted by: alecw81 | April 26, 2009 2:32 AM | Report abuse

14k at Dallas!

The recession is over!

Posted by: Reignking | April 26, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | April 26, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

reignking:

Dallas was at Chivas. Doesn't count.

Does anyone know if today's United-MetroTard/Pink Cow/Redtards/MetroBulls/Red Bull New York MetroStar Red Bulls of Harrison, New Jersey game is being broadcast online? I have DirecTV, so I technically get Telefutura, but it blacks the game out for whatever ludacris reason.

I found nothing on justin.tv, and don't remember any of the other sites that would typically have these games.

Posted by: kdiff813 | April 26, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Darn. I always get mixed up by MLS listing the home team "incorrectly".

Posted by: Reignking | April 26, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse