Saturday Match Options

Greetings from Salt Lake City. D.C. United conducted a closed practice in the southern suburb of Lehi this afternoon in preparation for tomorrow's match against Real at Rio Tinto Stadium.

For those of you interested in attending a live match in the D.C. area tomorrow, your options are:

5 P.M. -- Real Maryland, a third-division club in its second year, against Salvadoran club Aguila in a friendly at Richard Montgomery High School in Rockville. Tickets are $25. (Tonight Real will play in-state rival Crystal Palace Baltimore at UMBC in the DeOrsey Cup.)

5:30 P.M. -- The Tiffany Trophy Cup championship match, featuring the youth teams from Real Madrid and Blackburn Rovers, at Washington-Lee High School in Arlington. Ticket prices are -- get this -- $10 for fans under three feet tall and $15 for everyone else. Real won all three matches in group play while Blackburn went 2-0-1. D.C. United's entry lost all three matches.

6 P.M. -- The Washington Freedom in its WPS home debut against the Chicago Red Stars. Standard tickets range from $20 to $36. Unlike RFK Stadium, there is no Metro station near Maryland SoccerPlex. The club is offering to help those who don't want to drive -- er, sort of. Taxis stationed at the Shady Grove stop on the Red Line will transport fans for a maximum of $28 each way. Details here.

Enjoy!

By Steve Goff  |  April 10, 2009; 4:28 PM ET
Categories:  Freedom , Spain , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend TV Listings
Next: Olsen Out? Villarreal Issues?

Comments

"Real won all three matches in group play while Blackburn went 2-0-1. D.C. United's entry lost all three matches."
--------

When all is said and done, the above quote doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, but my first reaction was, "Wow. U.S. soccer sucks," before rational thought set in.

Posted by: Juan-John | April 10, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

the other three local youth teams did better -- DC United was last of 8 teams

Posted by: OWNTF | April 10, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Actually, that thought I voiced should have remained just that -- a thought. I'm sure those DCU kids played their hearts out. Hopefully some of them caught the eyes of the European coaches.

Posted by: Juan-John | April 10, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

You can't become the best unless you play the best. Learning experience for the Black n Red youngsters. No shame there.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 10, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

$25 for Real Maryland tickets? Do you get free beer with that?

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | April 10, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

$25 for Real Maryland tickets? Do you get free beer with that?

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | April 10, 2009 6:23 PM

************************

Only if you're under 3 feet tall.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 10, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

$25 for Real Maryland tickets? Do you get free beer with that?

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | April 10, 2009 6:23 PM

It's against Aguila, so they jacked up the price. I'm loathe to pay $25 at RFK, let alone high-school bleachers.

I think single-game tix are like $15 a match. They have a bevy of plans on their website.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | April 10, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

With United's popularity waning, a move to St Louis imminent, and subscriptions the Post in a freefall, can anybody hear Goff’s car warming up for a move to St. Louis?

Probably not. I suppose there is always a future in basketball article proofreading.

FYI Goff – I’m not fond of the snide remarks regarding the relocation of the team we love and have supported for years which has directly supported you.

Posted by: Palin-McCain2012 | April 10, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

I can't tell if you are joking or just thin-skinned.

Posted by: Reignking | April 10, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Could be both.

Posted by: writered21 | April 10, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Add stupid to the list as well.

Posted by: b18bolo | April 10, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

His or her User ID pretty much sums it up . . .

Posted by: delantero | April 11, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

For the record . . I hope Goff AND United stay.

Posted by: delantero | April 11, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Palin-McCain2012 | April 10, 2009 10:31 PM
---------------------------------------------

You must not be a fellow member of the Tribe. We appreciate such dry humor. It was a good line.

Please take care when you sit down.You wouldn't want to drive that stick up any farther.

Posted by: fischy | April 11, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

You also have the Baltimore Blast in the championship game at 7:30pm in Baltimore. They are at 9000 sold and only need 2500 more to sell out

Posted by: BmoreFan | April 11, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

I'll be at the 'Plex today, I will be interested in how it looks to people watching on FSC, especially given that the cameras will presumably be looking across to the temporary seating on the far side. Also, I wonder whether Freedom fans who aren't going to the game will be gathering at the Capitol Lounge on Capitol Hill, as they did for the Sol game two weeks ago.

Speaking of Capitol Hill, this article says that the site of Finn MacCool's is now occupied by a bar called Molly Malone's. Isn't this one of the places where DCU fans have habitually gathered?

Posted by: universityandpark | April 11, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

"I can't tell if you are joking or just thin-skinned."

Joking. Can't you tell by my username? I wouldn't be here if I didn't like the blog and the articles.

Posted by: Palin-McCain2012 | April 11, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

@fischy; Gentiles like the humor too. Maybe I should convert - for the jokes*.

* From a Seinfeld episode for those who think I'm being insensitive.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 11, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I just signed up for USL Live. Will it give me USL-2 games or just USL-1 as it appears?

Posted by: kkfla7371 | April 11, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse