Soccer Agenda

Looking ahead.....

* Here's a Bryan Namoff story that will also appear in tomorrow's print edition.

* Sports Bog Dan Steinberg will look at DCU's Twitter madness later today and tomorrow.

* Post colleague Paul Tenorio will preview Saturday's Washington Freedom home opener with a feature about a local player with dual professions.

* I'm off to Salt Lake City on Friday morning. Eager to see Rio Tinto Stadium for the first time.

* Don't forget to sign up for the Insider's Twitter feed for first-alert news and blog links.

* Happy Passover!

By Steve Goff  |  April 8, 2009; 11:01 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Freedom
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: SueƱo MLS!
Next: Poll: United's Future Home

Comments

enjoy Salt Lake. gorgeous this time of year. here's for a nice crisp late winter day for the match that none of us can ever see. grr.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | April 8, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

And a good Pesach to you, sir.

Posted by: EdTheRed | April 8, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

For all you guys slamming Goff consider this: The Post, in the midst of very trying times for newspapers, antes up to send its soccer guy to Salt Lake City to cover a match. We should be thankful.

Posted by: b18bolo | April 8, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Hard to tell what the stadium looks like from the website - but with it right by several light rail stops it is an easy ride downtown and back.

Posted by: DodgersSteve | April 8, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget to Riot Into Stadium.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 8, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Even better than being thankful, you could buy the paper every day.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 8, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Right on, b18bolo, RE: thanks for Goff, S.I. and The Post. I'm also looking forward to reading about some new dining experience(s) in Salt Lake City, and seeing if Goff can come up with more than 5 musical references for this road trip (unless that enjoyable feature of S.I. is on haitus). Bon Voyage.

Posted by: BaltoFan | April 8, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Have a good trip Steve, hopefully the air will be nice and clean with some rains around. I've heard SLC can get disgusting without em.
I'd like to hear your take on the fine looking facilities out there. Maybe some insight on the dispersion of the crowd. DC United games always look pretty good on TV due to the Barra and SE's location, and I am curious about where the supporters are sitting, how many are singing, etc.
Aloha!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 8, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Per BaltoFan, here's a few suggestions for Steve's playlist for the weekend:

"Jet Airliner," Steve Miller Band (duh)
"Star Spangled Banner," Mormon Tabernacle Choir
"A Salt with a Deadly Pepa," Salt n Pepa
"We Built this City," Starship
"Early Morning Rain," Gordon Lightfoot
Side 1, "Tarkus," Emerson, Lake & Palmer

And because it's me, something from Rush: Side 2, "Hemispheres"

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 8, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

"*Happy Passover!"

This afternoon, I have to drive almost four hours to the annual Worst Seder in the World. Unless my cousin shows up, I'll have to answer the questions... at my age! What's to be happy about?

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | April 8, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

At a time when papers are cutting staff, going out of business and anyone with a blog can do as good if not a better job, you'd think that someone like Steve would avoid:

a) Ticking off the core audience for his blog by making insensitive remarks regarding their team moving..

b) Foster open discussion and be open to criticism rather than censor it on his blog.

c) Stop pimping a Twitter feed which he locks down to avoid two-way rather than top-down conversation (which is very Anti-twitter BTW).

Posted by: I-495 | April 8, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

May you all leave a extra cup at the seder table for Benny Feilhaber, Jeff Agoos, Yari Allnutt, Jonathan Bornstein, Dan Calichman, Roman Abramovich, Juan Pablo Sorin and Shep Messing.

Posted by: IamAM | April 8, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I'll have to answer the questions... at my age! What's to be happy about?

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | April 8, 2009 1:05 PM

Oy vey, such kvetching, I never heard...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 8, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Nice name change, I-495. Same IP address as before. Clever. Still awaiting your real name and phone number so we can discuss it further.

1. Most folks don't find the stadium snarkiness the least bit offensive.
2. I've been fostering open discussion with more than 100,000 comments over the past two-plus years. Your comments were deleted because of your previous sophomoric user name.
3. My Twitter account is used as a first-alert system to steer folks toward the blog. That's all. Not very complicated. Don't like it? Don't use it.

Posted by: Steve Goff | April 8, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Nothing by Donnie and Marie? Not even the Hawaiian Punch jingle? I'm disappointed.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 8, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Well in, Steve.

BTW... are you going with my playlist? A catchy theme, methinks...

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 8, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 8, 2009 1:50 PM

A little bit country, a little bit rock 'n' roll.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 8, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Ok, Ok...

"In Da Gada Da Vida," Donnie and Marie Osmond

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 8, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I'll have to answer the questions... at my age! What's to be happy about?

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | April 8, 2009 1:05 PM
-------------------------------------------

Mastodon J - You must be getting senile. The youngest asks the questions. There's no rules about answering them....

Posted by: fischy | April 8, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Goff: The last sentence in your story needs a close-quote.

Posted by: Juan-John | April 8, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Not entirely pertinent to this blog, but I think one thing that folks are overlooking about a potential soccer specific stadium in the DC area is the additional revenue from other events: Freedom games, club team exposes a la milan v. chelsea, ncaa final fours (maybe) - who knows what else? But perhaps the greatest benefit would be to have a 'home field' for our USMNT akin to Azteca. We need a venue where the US plays its big games - even if it does mean a halfway partisan crowd against clubs like El Salvador or Honduras. This is our Nation's capital - or at least the metro area around it, depending on where a stadium may land ten years from now - and we need a national team home field, in earnest. It would be nice to have a couple games in the DC area when the men's and or women's World Cups return to the US as well.

I'm just tired of people talking about DC United attendance figures, exclusively, relative to potential revenue from such a stadium project.

Posted by: JaimeSegundo | April 8, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Steve, we are happy to have you out in Salt Lake. The weather does look gloomy low 60's and likely rain, but it is 4pm match so at least the temps should stay steady.

The stadium is a nice one, it's not a NFL stadium but of the soccer specific stadiums it is by far the nicest in the US right now.

If you need anything in town, just let us know you will find most RSL fans to be very polite.

Oh and I thought your moving van comment was right on, maybe a bit cold to those who remember the colt's midnight move, but given the state of the stadium debacle, it is right on target.

Posted by: f4denz | April 8, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse