Sven Out as Mexico Coach

A day after losing at Honduras and dropping into fourth place in CONCACAF's World Cup qualifying, Sven-Goran Eriksson has been dismissed as Mexico coach.

"We could not take risks with qualification for the World Cup, and we could not rely solely on results at the Estadio Azteca," Mexican Football Federation President Justino Compean said.

Surprised?

By Steve Goff  |  April 2, 2009; 5:16 PM ET
Categories:  Mexico
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mediate signs with USL's Puerto Rico Islanders
Next: Weekend TV Listings

Comments

Not surprised, but amused. They really are going to have a hard time qualifying without a coach.

Posted by: ncguy | April 2, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

i think everybody knew what was coming after that 2nd honduras goal last night

i just hope setanta keeps their sven puppet going.

i enjoy those oh so much

Posted by: rhbancroft | April 2, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mddeblois | April 2, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Surprised they hired him.

Posted by: JkR- | April 2, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm shocked!

I guess the #1 usual suspect to replace him would be Javier Aguirre who did well with the Mexican team (98 or '02) and was recently let go from Atletico Madrid.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 2, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I am. It seems to me Mexico might benefit from installing a popular former player as coach like Maradona in Argentina or Alan Shearer at Newcastle.

Posted by: Brokenbil | April 2, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

So, they'll be paying a big fat severance package to Sven, right?

Who will they be trying to get to replace him? Bora? How about friggin' Blanco?!? That would be awesome. They could have him as a player-coach.

Totally predictable. I cannot put into words how underwhelmed and overjoyed I am by this news all at once.

Posted by: Modibo | April 2, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Steve Sampson is available, and he speaks Spanish!!

Actually, I'd be disappointed if El Tri didn't make the Cup finals. I hope they find a coach who can straighten things out -- though I'd still love to see the USA win at the Azteca.

Posted by: fischy | April 2, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Surprised it took so long.

Posted by: sitruc | April 2, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Hiring him in the first place was a bad idea. Eriksson's preferred approach to the game is very much at odds with the traditional Mexican style. This was always destined to fail.

As much as we'd all laugh at them for missing out, CONCACAF is better off with Mexico in the World Cup. I imagine our hold on that last half spot isn't that firm. I wouldn't be surprised if another federation makes a play for our half-spot if CONCACAF has another poor showing at the World Cup.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 2, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Mexico doesn't play until June 6th. A week after the Serie A season ends. Maybe they could get the Special One.

Shut up, Sven

Posted by: fischy | April 2, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Mexico hires Bruce Arena. Wait never mind, that was last year's April Fool's Day joke...

Posted by: fischy | April 2, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Actually... Mourhino wouldn't be that bad of a choice. He wouldn't take the criticisim lying down, and might actually get respect for it. Also, he knows how to defensively tighten and utilize spry young talent.

Anyway, I think Mexico would be a more suitable task than the US; conservative aint going to help us much.

I don't care if I get panned for this, I don't think he'd take the job. The man Really thinks he can and will coach Man U; Mexico would be quite a step down.

And am I surprised? My only surprise is that Maradonna and him aren't getting plastered together.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 2, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

And by that, I mean Sven.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 2, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Not surprised, but I am looking forward to the next installment of Special 1 TV.

Posted by: Kenobi | April 2, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Clever, Brokenbil

Posted by: seahawkdad | April 2, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I was kidding about Mourinho. I'm sure Aguirre will get the nod again.

Posted by: fischy | April 2, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

The Special 1 Twitted about Sven:

Exclusive this weekend on my show Special1TV: "The sacking of Sven - the story behind the headlines." Why not!

Can't wait.

Posted by: addick | April 2, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Pobre Mexico, tan cerca a los Estados Unidos, tan lejos de dios . . .

y sin futbolistas con pasion

Posted by: delantero | April 2, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

How about Sven to DC United????

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 2, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Not surprised.
Why do I always read that Sven was criticized for bringing in nationalized players when Lavolpe was the one who started that trend?
Give it up. If an American-born striker can play for Italy, no one needs to be talking about that dumb subject in the future.

Posted by: oranjebleeder | April 2, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

don't forget Jose Torres. He could be playing for Mexico but instead chose the US MNT. 20 years ago a kid in his situation probably would have gone south of the border to play for Mexico. The tides are turning...

Posted by: doh1 | April 2, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

DCUnitedFootball,

...So... Tommy Soehn doesn't seem so bad.

Posted by: B_A_ | April 2, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

wow, there's like 100 people at RSL's home opener. That's not going to help the MLS attendance average. It almost looks like Colorado.

Posted by: fedssocr | April 2, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Another packed house. Seattle and Toronto may save the league from truly abysmal attendance averages, but the league has got to be troubled by these crowds.

Posted by: fischy | April 2, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

On the positive side, ESPN2's beautiful HD picture makes it easier to actually count the fans at Rio Tinto.

Just kidding... I'm watching the Wizards

Posted by: Kev29 | April 2, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm not surprised.

It's not just the results that were bad, it was how they played and handled themselves. They showed little to no character when they went down a goal against the US and last night.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 2, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Not surprised. Unfortunately, for Mexico, the coach is not the problem. Goff's 'must read' last week speaks to the actual problem.

I can't say I'm sorry to hear of their troubles. Given the team's lack of class (ie- no handshakes after the match) they've got what whey deserve.

Posted by: KireDCU | April 2, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

I would have to say it is not the coach, its the players. They have no chemistry at all outside of the Azteca. They have such a comfort zone that once out of it, the players just don't focus enough and begin to meltdown. I dont think Mexico will make it. With one win or tie by an opponent at the Azteca that will be the nail on the coffin. And quite frankly I would like to see that. It would shut the Mexicants for once. Im Central American and I know many (not speaking on their behalf) would def like to see that. It would help Mexico re-evaluate themselves. Not dissing!
and
@ Red Devil, the one who needs to be cut for his act is Nery "The Unibrown" Castillo. He has no class at all.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | April 2, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

"It" was never a fit.

Posted by: MBUSA | April 2, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Mexico loves to fire its coaches. It's a sickness.

Posted by: Reignking | April 2, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

I don't think the attendance was all that bad at Rio Tinto considering it was a freezing, rainy Thursday. I bet the 4-1 spanking helps attendance for the next match, though.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | April 3, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Not sure if the FMF watched the highlights of the Honduras match but 2 of the 3 goals should have been called off. 1st one there was an obvious handball and the 3rd one was off sides. oh well

Posted by: Pete803 | April 3, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure the FMF doesn't watch highlights or the games. They read the blogs, waiting for someone to tell them what happened. Unfortunately, your comment came too late. Oh well.

Posted by: fischy | April 3, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Haha whats funny about that hand ball is that it still landed on the Mexican player's foot which then he got muscled out and made the goalie look weak.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | April 3, 2009 1:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Brokenbil | April 2, 2009 5:43 PM

Did you forget Hugo Sanchez that quickly?

Posted by: willt1 | April 3, 2009 1:25 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't matter what they do. They aren't as good as they think they are. It's a thankless job right now.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 3, 2009 1:51 AM | Report abuse

While I don't think this hiring was ever going to work, I think the firing - hence, placing the blame on the team's leadership rather than its membership - is equally failed. FMF are taking action, but they're not solving anything in my opinion.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | April 3, 2009 6:48 AM | Report abuse

willt1: brokenbils joke flew right over yer head. Think he was referring to Sven's sparkling playing career...

Posted by: DadRyan | April 3, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I wish I was clever enough to say I was making a joke. (I'm a comedian and didn't even know it!) I do remember Hugo Sanchez. My thought was that bringing in a local legend as coach might sufficiently distract the country from their national team's serious problems. ...Hmm, I suppose that is the joke.

Posted by: Brokenbil | April 3, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse