Terps in MLS

After winning the NCAA championship in December, the Maryland Terrapins had five players selected among the top 23 picks in the MLS draft a month later in St. Louis. Here's how they are faring:

OMAR GONZALEZ
Defender, Los Angeles Galaxy
First round, third overall
All four games, four starts, played every minute, one goal

RODNEY WALLACE
Midfielder-defender, D.C. United
First round, sixth overall
All five games, five starts, played all but eight minutes

JEREMY HALL
Midfielder-defender, New York Red Bulls
First round, 11th overall
Four of five games, three starts, 274 minutes, one red card

A.J. DELAGARZA
Defender, Los Angeles Galaxy
Second round, 19th overall
All four games, three starts, 229 minutes

GRAHAM ZUSI
Midfielder, Kansas City Wizards
Second round, 23rd overall
Two of five games, two starts, 119 minutes

For the complete list of current players who are in MLS via College Park, keep reading.....

D-MF Marc Burch, D.C. United
D-MF MIchael Dello-Russo, Dallas
F Jason Garey, Columbus
MF Stephen King, Seattle
MF Robbie Rogers, Columbus
GK Chris Seitz, Real Salt Lake
MF-D Seth Stammler, New York
F Abe Thompson, Kansas City
F Taylor Twellman, New England
D Eric Brunner, Columbus (transferred to Ohio State)

Did I miss anyone?

By Steve Goff  |  April 21, 2009; 11:35 AM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tuesday Kickaround
Next: United News & Notes

Comments

It kills me to see how far UVA soccer has fallen. I'm going to have to readjust my gift to the program!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 21, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Haven't most of UVA's sports suffered under Littlepage?

Posted by: hokieunited | April 21, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Way back when I wrote a letter to Ridge Mahoney, at the time editor of Soccer America, saying that the growth of MLS and, eventually, the National team should come from college players, not the vaunted and expensive Project 40. Plus, the college to pro route is uniquely American and could be easily understood by Joe EPSN.

He wrote a rather mean spirited reply . . basically saying I was a fool.

Wonder if a comparison can be made now between college and P-40 players . . .

Posted by: delantero | April 21, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

you should add those who have moved on to Europe:

Mo Edu...

Posted by: adamsunited | April 21, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

you should add those who have moved on to Europe:

Mo Edu...

Posted by: adamsunited | April 21, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Danny Califf, Clarence Goodson...

Posted by: Colm1 | April 21, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how well the Terps United squad would perform in MLS? My guess: they could sneak into the playoffs, but they're not championship contenders. Bringing Maurice Edu back from Scotland would help quite a bit.

Posted by: SSMD1 | April 21, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, UVA isn't the powerhouse they used to be, but its not like they have fallen off the college soccer map. UVA gets good, skilled players and they usually play some attractive futbol.

They have one of the nicest college soccer facilities in the country. Driving down to C'Ville for a Friday night match makes for an enjoyable and inexpensive evening for a futbol fan.

Anyway, I think UVA will have to get a better coach to re-attain its elite status. Attracting top talent is not the problem, although GG did make a rather drastic mistake in giving the overrated Jonathan Villanueava the keys to the team and the #10 shirt before even arriving on campus.

Posted by: Ron16 | April 21, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

zzzzzzz

wake me up when they have 5 'ships.

Posted by: notafembot | April 21, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Jason Bent played for the Rapids and then went to England to play for Plymouth Argyle.

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | April 21, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Craig Littlepage - better off as King of Lilliput.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 21, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

An impressive list of players. College Park is definitely a pipeline to MLS.

But don't forget the youth programs that developed these players to be able to compete at this level. A lot of coaches suffered through some tough losses in order to do what it took to teach the kids how the game is played at the highest level.

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 21, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Back in my undergraduate days, one summer I saw Jonathan Villanuaeva eating at the Barracks Five Guys...he got a burger AND a large fries. Anyone who has eaten at Five Guys will know just how gluttonous that is.

Posted by: the_slammer | April 21, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Haven't most of UVA's sports suffered under Littlepage?

Posted by: hokieunited | April 21, 2009 11:50 AM

Don't be silly, Craig Littlepage has done a fantastic job with the UVA athletic department...

Posted by: VTUnited | April 21, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 21, 2009 11:47 AM
---------------------------------------------

Fear not. Odds are pretty good that Bruce Arena will be available to return to the helm for a 2010 recruiting class.

Posted by: fischy | April 21, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 21, 2009 12:28 PM
-------------------------------------------

Apparently, a lot of parents were forced to watch games with binoculars, as a result of those "tough losses".

Posted by: fischy | April 21, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Casey Townsend will make heads turn in 3 years when he graduates. The kid is talented!!

And don't forget about Matt Cassel (sp?)... he is a stud as well.

The list will be loaded by then...

Posted by: adamsunited | April 21, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Agree UVA needs a new coach. I go to many of the home games and some away always come away saying we got out-coached and other coach was able to motivate their players more than ours. Seems like the other team always has more of a personal bond/chemistry and team spirit than UVA.

Posted by: kennybenny | April 21, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Ya stumped me, fischy. I have no idea what that means...

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 21, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

delantero,

I completely agree with you on the college to pro system as it is what the average sports fan in this country has come to accept.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 21, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

@joedoc -- Perhaps you missed this piece from today's front page?:

Posted by: fischy | April 21, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

UVa soccer has been comparatively "superior", but not "excellent" under GG. We've got skillful players, but I too sense a lack of team play sometimes. Those national championships are slipping farther back into irrelevancy... I'm surprised that Nico Colaluca is so far down the depth chart for the Rapids. He seemed like he'd do well as a pro when he was at UVA (04-06 I believe), other than his size.

Posted by: carmines757 | April 21, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I remember watching NCAA tournament soccer Indiana game not long ago on TV and an old timer was asked something like what was up with old powerhouses like IU and UVA not being as dominant any more. The response was it's not those 2 programs aren't as good but that many other schools have caught up with quality of their coaches and coaching staff, and it's also more competitive to get the top players now and so we will never see a couple of schools dominate every year like in years past. I think there is something to that but I also think both these schools could use a coaching upgradge.

Posted by: kennybenny | April 21, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Thanks fischy! I did, in fact, miss it.

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 21, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Haven't most of UVA's sports suffered under Littlepage?

Posted by: hokieunited | April 21, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Nonsense! Nothing to see there, everything is fine and the future is bright. Full speed ahead! [And you claim to be a hokie fan - tsk, tsk. ; )]

Back to SG's list, pretty impressive list of performances so far for just one class from Maryland.

Posted by: CDRHoek | April 21, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

CDRHoek,

I did not say that I wasn't pleased at UVA's success under Littlepage.

Its been a blast since he took over.

Posted by: hokieunited | April 21, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Goff: Whatever happened to that George Mason player who was drafted last winter?

Posted by: universityandpark | April 22, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse