Thursday Kickaround

*Bayern Munich Prez Franz Beckenbauer, on his club's 4-0 loss to Barcelona on Wednesday: "What I saw in the first half is, without doubt, the worst football in Bayern's history. It was a demonstration, almost a humiliation. They gave us a lesson." Bayern has been around for 109 years.

*The all-Mexican CONCACAF Champions League finals are now set after Atlante defeated Santos Laguna, 3-1, last night in Cancun (4-3 aggregate). Atlante will face Cruz Azul, which ousted Puerto Rico Wednesday, in the two-leg finals starting April 22 in Mexico City. The champion will go to the Club World Cup late this year.

*As part of the buildup to its second USL2 season, Real Maryland will play Salvadoran club Aguila on Saturday at 5 p.m. at Lester Stadium at Richard Montgomery High School in Rockville. Tickets are $25. Real opens its league schedule April 25 at home against Bermuda.

TV listings and Americans abroad on the continuation of this thread.....

*Soccer on TV:
UEFA Cup, Shakhtar-Marseille 12:30 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel
UEFA Cup, Hamburg-Manchester City 2:30 p.m. FSC
UEFA Cup, PSG-Dynamo Kiev 2:40 p.m. Setanta
UEFA Cup, Werder Bremen-Udinese 5 p.m. FSC
Copa Libertadores, Sao Paulo-Defensor 6 p.m. FSC
Copa Libertadores, Boca Juniors-Guarani 8:30 p.m. FSC
Copa Libertadores, LDU Quito-Colo Colo 10:30 p.m. FSC

*Americans abroad today:
D Heath Pearce and Hansa Rostock at Greuther Fuerth
F Jeremiah White, MF Benny Feilhaber and Aarhus vs. Horsens
F Marcus Tracy and Aalborg at Brondby

By Steve Goff  |  April 9, 2009; 8:55 AM ET
Categories:  Bundesliga , CONCACAF , TV , U.S. men's national team , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Banner Day for Lopez
Next: Select World Cup Venues

Comments

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 9, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Bah, what does Beckenbauer know. He was a surprise inclusion in the German Philospher's side that last to the Greeks...

Oh, wait....

Posted by: JkR- | April 9, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

VBB, you still bothering to read Fisher...

What happened Bro, did you have some time to kill on the train this morning? Or did you just need some amusement...

Marc Fisher... I'd rather read an article on paint samples than let that guy rob me of any more of my time.

But hey, what do I know I'm just a Brutha who lives in PG who wouldn't go to a DC United game if we actually ever managed to get a stadium built here (I wonder if Dude is personally taking credit for bringing the PG Council to their senses--still anxiously waiting for his article on the "Bait and Switch" move that Uncle Vic and company tried to pull regarding some of the cashola--or did I just miss that one?)

Marc Fisher...comical...

Posted by: yankiboy | April 9, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

The same deal the Nationals got? Are you kidding me?
Steve-any chance someone at the WP can call him out about this? This is why I never read the man's column or blog.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 9, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

You can reach Fisher directly by clicking on his byline or through his blog. You can also reach out to the ombudsman. I'm staying out of this! ;-)

Posted by: Steve Goff | April 9, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

LOL!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 9, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

@yankiboy,

You wouldn't go?

If it were just bashing DC United - I wouldn't have read it - but when it's talking about how misguided this city was on thinking that there was a populous SCREAMING to get baseball back - I love every word of it.

I still think that the District should cut the power to the stadium - MID OBAMA PITCH - and have the PA Announcer say that the game has been called on account of darkness due to the owners not paying rent on their "incomplete stadium".

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 9, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Auf weidersein Herr Klinnsmann, perhaps? And wasn't fisher one of the head cheerleaders for the stadium and the nats?

Posted by: joshuaostevens | April 9, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

If you are up for a soccer game Saturday, please consider supporting Washington Freedom in their home opener Saturday at 6pm at SoccerPlex (against Carli Lloyd, Lindsey Tarpley and Chicago).

Among other things you can get in for less than the $25 you need to pay to watch a third-division men's team play an exhibition match on a high school turf field.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 9, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

So, tickets for an exhibition to a men's 3rd division match (USL2) are more expensive than tickets to a women's 1st division match ($25 for Real Maryland's exhibition vs. $20 for the Washington Freedom)?

Am I the only one to think that is a little backwards?

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | April 9, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Is Real Maryland playing a little soak-the-Salvadorans, or are they just on crack generally? $25 for a third division friendly! WTF?!

Amen, don't be a chump, go see Wambach, Bompastor, De Vanna and the rest of The Freedom instead.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 9, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I think yankiboy was sarcastically referring to statements that there are no soccer fans in Prince Geos.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 9, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I don't appreciate sarcasm.

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 9, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if this kind, generous, and wonderful person will help finance United Park at Poplar Point.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 9, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Real Maryland tickets are generally $10, price is for Aguila, it will be sold out.

And have you seen the field their playing on OWNTF? It's amazing and was installed at the stadium in part because Real Maryland paid a portion of the costs...seems like a good thing to embed soccer in the community.

Perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to slag on other area teams 'cause you're not likely to appreciate it if people start commenting about the Freedom doing everything slower and with less imagination. I guarantee the Freedom will get ten times the press as Real Maryland here.

Posted by: teo_68 | April 9, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

@yankiboy,

You wouldn't go?

-Da Ole VBB
------------------------------------------

Posted by: I-270Exit1
-------------------------------------------

I don't appreciate sarcasm.

Posted by: joedoc1
-------------------------------------------

Why, yes. The Interstate connector is quite correct. I was just baing silly (sounds friendlier and less threatening than sarcasm, JD).

Neither my Black behind or the Hispanics that live with me and carry my last name planned on attending and DC United games at the PG stadium that will now never be built.

Coz Mr. Fisher pretty much said that the PG government and DCU shouldn't expect for Blacks to be interested in soccer and/or Hispanics to feel comfortable enough to travel to PG (when did we give away Hyattsville or Langley Park or Riverdale or Riverdale Park or Edmonston, ect--someone inform the PG Council about that one)...

Posted by: yankiboy | April 9, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 9, 2009 10:10 AM
-------------------------------------------
Bompastor is silly.

Her connecting with Wambach is about the only thing that is encouraging about the underachieving club so far this season. I know that they have only played one real game but seriously, I expected a better start after they kept a core together playing in the W-League.

I am very impressed with Bompastor. She looks to be a sick pickup.

Posted by: yankiboy | April 9, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Silly? Sick? I think someone listens to the Junkies. Mooooney.

Posted by: Reignking | April 9, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

teo: Whoah-- I don't think the manage was disparaging Real Maryland. I think that he was just questioning the price. But the it is a long way from from San Miguel. It costs to travel and bring a club like that to play a game. Shoot.

To be honest, I thought about checking it out but I decided that it was a bit more than I personally wanted to pay. Especially since I am going to see them tomorrow night play Crystal Palace.

The Freedom tickets are also a bit up there unless you jump on the Season Ticket specials.

If you can get $25 then hey, charge it. I still think that Real Maryland is going to probably lose money on the deal but that is the cost of doing business.

If they make some money then I will be thrilled. And if not, then they are promoting their club and giving folks a chance to connect back with home or see a club that few of us get to see.

Either way, it's all good.

Posted by: yankiboy | April 9, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Silly? Sick? I think someone listens to the Junkies. Mooooney.

Posted by: Reignking
-------------------------------------------
Guilty as charged, Rick-

Posted by: yankiboy | April 9, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I have seen many HS games at RM. It is a nice large field but heavily marked up for other sports. Plex stadium is superior.

Yes I take your point about slagging the mens team, and I hope to catch them soon myself; I caught one game last year. But it's a little irksome to schedule a friendly at a time that overlaps with Freedom opener. They would not have done that with a United game.

Maybe no big overlap in fan base anyway, but for Freedom every ticket counts.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 9, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

They would not have done that with a United game.

Maybe no big overlap in fan base anyway, but for Freedom every ticket counts.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 9, 2009 10:57 AM
-------------------------------------
I wouldn't count on that one. And you are right, with the excepmtion of you, me and some guy named (fill in the blank)--there is probably almost NO overlap, whatsoever.

I could be wrong but the" Aguilas-RM or Freedom-Red Stars" debate is probably a very limited one...

Both clubs were incredibly selfish and shortsighted--they should have both changed the arrangements that worked so many months to arrange so that I will not be rushed after my 4 year olds Birthday Party ens and the Little Gym...That is really what I find irksome.

By the way if Aguila beats RM it will because my Palace Boys doftened them up, first... (yes people, that was a joke).

Posted by: yankiboy | April 9, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I find it somewhat interesting that the US National Team has established itself as the top nation in CONCACAF, however the Mexican League is undisputed as the leader in club soccer. It's like we've got better players, but they've got better depth and foreign imports.

Posted by: TCompton | April 9, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

According to Soccer America, the World Cup bid committee has assembled a list of every pointyball stadium in the country with more than 50,000 seats, in an attempt to impress FIFA. Never mind that many of them are too narrow to accommodate a 75-yard-wide pitch. (Does anyone remember the days when the Crew played on the OSU campus?) Or that a number are in university towns, far from major cities. Interestingly, RFK is listed as a venue with a capacity of over 56K, which hasn't been the case for a long time. (We won't even get into the question of whether it will still be standing in 2018, let alone 2022.)

Posted by: universityandpark | April 9, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

@TCompton: the dichotomy also holds for the Netherlands, France, and some Eastern European countries with second (or lower) tier leagues, yet competitive national teams.

@U&P: if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 9, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Montgomery County may be interested in DC United.
Check it.

Posted by: ussccr | April 9, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

The Mexican league has higher revenues and better TV numbers/revenues. Thus, they can spend a little more.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 9, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Facundo Erpen's going to Miami:

Posted by: Juan-John | April 9, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know the salary range for the mexican league? What is the average range for a starting biran namoff/clyde simms type player?

Posted by: pigmansweet | April 9, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

@Tcompton: When did we establish ourselves as the top nation in CONCACAF?

@The Ole VBB: I have to disagree on the little more; They spend a "lot" more on players, especially when you look at the cost of living. Then again, you have to figure in the cost of having 24 hour security for your loved ones so that no one gets kidnapped...

Posted by: yankiboy | April 9, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pigmansweet
-------------------------------------------I'm guessing (key word) based on some very limited knowledge but I think probably about $200K-$250k. But like I said in my previous post, that money goes a lot further down South (you just have to spend a good chunk of it to pay for the added security).

Posted by: yankiboy | April 9, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse