Thursday Kickaround

*TV news: Fox has big plans for Euro Champions League coverage.

*Columbus visits Real Salt Lake tonight (9 p.m. ET, ESPN2). It's RSL's home opener and, according to this column in the SLC Tribune, the beginning of an opportunity to gain ground in the local market.

*A reminder to join us on Twitter and to bookmark washingtonpost.com's soccer page.

*The end for Sven? Honduras 3, Mexico 1:

By Steve Goff  |  April 2, 2009; 9:12 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , MLS , TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA Rewind
Next: U.S. National Team at RFK

Comments

The first goal of Costly was hilarious. People say it was a hand ball but the mexican player still had possesion and got muscle out for the ball which lead to the score!

Great win for Mexico.

and Nery Castillo is an ***hole.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | April 2, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

i mean great win for Honduras

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | April 2, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Mexico PK call is hilarious...

Dips, speaking of muscled out, that's what happened to Salcido on his red. Truly embarrassing.

Posted by: Reignking | April 2, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Honduras Goal #2: Holy crap.

Posted by: spidergoose | April 2, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

do we get FSN on Comcast in NoVa? I cant find it on the guide. What about FX in HD?

This might make me switch to directv.

Posted by: AllYouNeedIsHops | April 2, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

So those who derided the FSC switch will actually end up with a lot more games on basic cable! This new plan sounds great.

do we get FSN on Comcast in NoVa?

Comcast Sports Net

Posted by: Kev29 | April 2, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Comcast Sports Net is a Fox Sports Net affiliate. However in the same sports package with FSC and Gol there are a number of channels including Fox Sports Atlantic, Fox Sports Central, and Fox Sports Pacific. They are 262-264 on Comcast digital cable.

Posted by: fedssocr | April 2, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Comcast Sports Net has the option to pick up Fox Sports Net programming - such as college basketball and football. I would think that a partnership with FSC/Fox Sports Net would be perfect for them. Though it might be expensive.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 2, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Fox Soccer Channel in HD - that might be worth the price of digital cable, especially if the Champions League games are broadcas in HD. Very dangerous to the wallet and the social life.

Posted by: SSMD1 | April 2, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fedssocr | April 2, 2009 9:52 AM

Those Fox College Sports channels are mainly used for cheap regional college programming (baseball, hockey, etc). I'd be surprised if that's what FSC has in mind for distributing games in this new plan.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 2, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

either way I'm going to have to upgrade to a stupid box to get any of this. totally lame dude.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 2, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

This area doesn't have a FSN. CSN does carry some FSN programming, but the arrangement in this area is different than a few other CSN. Hopefully, they will have the games at the proper time.

Posted by: sitruc | April 2, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

DadRyan, what type of arrangement did you have where you didn't need a box before?

Posted by: sitruc | April 2, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

If you have Comcast (like I do, unfortunately) - better start begging for FSC and FX HD channels.

Though note - nothing in that AP article said that FSC intends on broadcasting Champs League in HD. ESPN has the option but does not (expensive).

Posted by: Kev29 | April 2, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | April 2, 2009 10:13 AM

FX is basic

Posted by: Kev29 | April 2, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

FSC is part of the $5 sports tier that include GolTV in Atlanta for Comcast.

Posted by: Reignking | April 2, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand the PK call? The dude whiffed. Looking at his motion when he whiffed, it didn't seem like he was tripped or shoved. Estoy muy confused.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 2, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

ESPN and ESPN2 is basic. We get cable internet, and like 70 channels for the price we pay, to get FSC we'd have to upgrade to a box which would cost us at least 40 bucks more a month plus a $5 add on for FSC.
I could be mistaken but I don't think we get FX on comcast in Arlington. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 2, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

You do Dad - it's channel 33

Posted by: Kev29 | April 2, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Dear Sven,

We don’t think this is working out. It’s not us, it’s you. We just don’t think you are a good enough coach to deal with Mexican players or to figure out how to qualify out of CONCACAF.

Perhaps you can go back to Europe and find things easier there. Or maybe even Argentina. I hear they might be looking for a new coach, after all they did just suffer their worst loss in 50 years. To Bolivia.

Please don’t call us, or have your interpreter call us. Let’s not make this ugly. Let’s just move on with our lives before things get out of hand.

Love,

El Tri.

PS – can you take Ochoa with you? He was terrible yesterday. We think all of those terrible AllState commercials went to his head.

Posted by: isaac101 | April 2, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

To all in the DC area - apparently FX HD is being added to your service RIGHT NOW.

That said - I'm sure FSC HD will boost the Sports Tier to $10 from $5.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 2, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

And by all in the DC area - I mean those of us unfortunate enough to not have access to FiOS or DirecTV.

Stupid Comcast.

The only group of people - worse than Congress.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 2, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Kev dude, yer right... what do they show on FX anyway??? dude shows? Miami Vice reruns?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 2, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Ha! They are dude shows - which is probably why the light went off above a Fox Exec's head when he/she heard about the positive male 18-34 ratings that FSC gets.

Though I can't verify if Fox Executive's have lights above their heads. Literally or figuratively :-)

Posted by: Kev29 | April 2, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Champs League Final on a Saturday... Mmmm.... (Rubs his hands together)

Between that age-group demographic the AP story cites, plus all those millions of soccer-playing kids who before couldn't watch the final live because they were in school, I get the feeling that the ratings (particularly if it's between say, Barcelona and Liverpool/ManU) will be higher than anyone expects.

Posted by: Juan-John | April 2, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

@ I-270 -- near as I can tell, he was kicked, then he whiffed, and then decided to go down, clutching his "injured" leg. As the commentator said "muy tardia" -- very late.

The missed handball on the first goal was terrible, but the camera angle was great. On thing that has me confused -- these highlights are all from the opposite side of the field..feels like I'm watching the reverse angle broadcast. On Telemundo, the cameras must have been on the other side of the field.

@DadRyan -- Ride the wave of FiOS. Ya gotta pay for the box, but FSC is free. As for the box cost -- I bet you'll find you're still paying less than you pay Comcast -- and, if you wait for the right promotion, you can probably get a free upgrade to a DVR box and record the games to your heart's content.....

Posted by: fischy | April 2, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Shut up, Sven!

Posted by: SSMD1 | April 2, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

They're going to try and do some cross-promotion with the Champions League on FX by having the guys on Niptuck try to take the "Ruud Gullit" tattoo off David Beckham's forehead.

Posted by: IamAM | April 2, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Expanded UCL coverage, great.

$50 more per month for a Direct tv package with the channels? Oh well...

Posted by: teo_68 | April 2, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Red card for Salcedo. Dummy. He'll miss the game at El Salvador. That puts them in "lose to El Salvador" territory. Dummies. Mexico winning in El Salvador would be bad since we only tied in ES. That would be 2 points Mexico gains on us.

Posted by: Alsatian1 | April 2, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

For FIOS customers in this area FX is 53. FX HD is not on the basic HD package, but it is available on the next one on channel 553.

Sorry DadRyan, I was assuming you didn't have cable or satellite when you said you would need a box. Many systems are moving towards needing a box or a newer QAM tuner/CableCARD built into the television.

Posted by: sitruc | April 2, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

The Champions League Final and then It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia... that's one sweet Saturday. lol

Posted by: StewartDC8 | April 2, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

sitruc: we get a lot for our money at this point, my wife looked into getting FSC for me for Xmas, but discovered it would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 more bucks a month...Just might have to start a little babysitting venture this summer... hmm.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 2, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Since this thread is somewhat about television packages, was MASN HD just added to Verizon FIOS or has it been there all along and I just didn't care about the channel above CSN HD?

Posted by: sitruc | April 2, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

That is great that the Fox is adding FX. Fortunately, I have that Fios 53 and 553. Isn't this a hidden channel no one really turns on though. I would be thrilled if it was going to show on Fox 5 DC.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 2, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

How about Sven to DC United?

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 2, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

You get FX HD on 553? You must pay extra. I don't get 553.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 2, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse