Thursday Kickaround

*Some thoughts on Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo's goal from 39.6 yards and at 64.2 mph against Porto yesterday in the Champions League quarterfinals:

"It was unbelievable -- a magnificent hit." (Sir Alex Ferguson)
"A gem carved out of an ordinary night." (International Herald Tribune)
"It's the best goal I've ever scored." (Cristiano Ronaldo)
"One of the grandest goals in the annals of the Champions League, a strike which visibly knocked the conviction out of United's fine opponents, and offered a performance of such passion and conviction that even those who have become convinced his heart beats for Madrid, not Manchester, might have been left to rethink." (London Daily Telegraph)

If Ronaldo does, indeed, move to Real Madrid and, as expected, the D.C. United vs. Real Madrid friendly Aug. 8 at FexEx Field is finalized, then we'll likely see the world's best player in person. Nice.

Let's see how long this video remains available before the copyright gods intervene:

Christian Vieri news (sort of), USA supporters, Americans abroad and Soccer on TV on the continuation of this thread.....

*Remember those Italian reports a few weeks ago that former World Cup star Christian Vieri wanted to play for the Galaxy? Turns out Vieri just wants to play poker.

*Join the U.S. national team's official supporters club!

*Americans abroad:
In Denmark, F Marcus Tracy 5 minutes in Aalborg's 3-3 tie at Brondby
In Sweden, F Charlie Davies and Hammarby at Helsingborg today

*Soccer on TV:
UEFA Cup, Dynamo Kiev-PSG 12:25 p.m. Setanta
UEFA Cup, Manchester City-Hamburg 2:30 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel
UEFA Cup, Marseille-Shakhtar Donetsk 2:30 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
UEFA Cup, Marseille-Shakhtar Donetsk (taped) 5 p.m. FSC
UEFA Cup, Udinese-Werder Bremen (taped) 5 p.m. FSE
UEFA Cup, Udinese-Werder Bremen (taped) 8 p.m. FSC
Copa Libertadores, Deportivo Tachira-Guarani 8:30 p.m. FSE
Copa Libertadores, America Cali-Defensor Sporting 10:30 p.m. FSE

By Steve Goff  |  April 16, 2009; 9:23 AM ET
Categories:  Euro Champions League , Italy , TV , U.S. men's national team , USSF
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday: Euro Champions League
Next: Video: Copa Libertadores

Comments

Red Devil or Meringue - he's a wanker and a diver.

I'll boo him forever.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 16, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

So, that's where Ruud Gullit went...

That was a crazy shot. Stuff of destiny?

I can't believe those Anglophiles @ FSC are showing the Man City-Hamburg match, when so many real fans are demanding to see Marseille-Shaktar live....

Posted by: fischy | April 16, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

The Daily Telegraph has a gift for understatement.

Scandinavian league news at breakfast? I could go for a danish or two - I have a swede tooth. Oh, is that too much? I'll finnish now.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 16, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Not to mention those cognoscenti clamoring for a live showing of Udinese-Werder...

Posted by: fischy | April 16, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Wow Ronaldo...Just wow. freaking laser beam!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 15, 2009 2:53 PM

Still think the match should be at RFK if it happens. Ronaldo being transferred to Madrid, would probably induce an exception to my never spending a penny in PG county stance...

Posted by: DadRyan | April 16, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I could have stopped that shot.

Hope Solo.

Posted by: delantero | April 16, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Vieri is starting to look Way too much like
Georgio Chinaglia, and I gather, act like him, too.

Posted by: DCUinCT | April 16, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Goff, Messi is a better player than Ronaldo. And a lot more likable, to boot.

Posted by: NattyBo1985 | April 16, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Regardless of how much hate he garners, an audacious attempt and ridiculous execution. Unfortunately now his mini me Nani will be trying the same thing and sky rocketing balls out of Old Trafford.

Posted by: agenthiro | April 16, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

"The best player" line was based on the 2008 fifa world award.

I have no opinion on the matter.

Posted by: Steve Goff | April 16, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Love the US Soccer membership plan - 'bout time! Definitely going to look into it and, erm, see if the Mrs. will let me buy in :-)

Posted by: Kev29 | April 16, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, still not a Ronaldo fan.

Posted by: Pedalada | April 16, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

@I-270:

We're waiting anxiously for your Norwegian pun...even though Troy Perkins is not playing today.

Posted by: BaltoFan | April 16, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Don't have too many danish, or you'll be belgium at the seams before too long.

-------------------------------------------
The Daily Telegraph has a gift for understatement.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 16, 2009 9:40 AM

Posted by: rickinashburn | April 16, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

"Don't have too many danish, or you'll be belgium at the seams before too long."

Belgium? Loved the place - went with the whole family including my infant (at the time) son. The beer there was fabulous. I recall putting down my mug one time in between rapturous sips, and my son went over, curious, and he Liechtenstein....

Posted by: 22206no1 | April 16, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

No doubt CRonaldo scored a great goal - the kind that can be a international goal of the week or even make SportScenter highlights. But some of that praise seems (especially the London Daily Telegraph) seems a bit exaggerated.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 16, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

What have I done....

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 16, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

270, Norway can you just stop with Sweden and Denmark.

Posted by: WFU03 | April 16, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

fischy:

Given the choice, I'd probably go with Udinese-Werder. I'm sure I'll get my fill of City whenever they complete their supposed "buy everyone good" plan and become Chelsea II: The Reckoning.

***

Two questions about the Supporters Club:

1. What on earth am I going to do with a membership card? I can only envision bad things happening upon busting it out (Chest: I'm really into soccer. Young woman: Oh cool, me too! I bet I'm more into it than you... Chest: Oh yeah? Check out this membership card! [conversation ends abruptly]). Maybe I can use it to stuff my wallet to George Costanza levels?

2. What portion of the $50 is taken up by the membership card? $0.05? $0.10? I'm willing to go as high as all the change in my wallet, minus the quarters.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 16, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Ronaldo's goal was No. 3 or 4, I think, on last night's SportsCenter Top 10.

Posted by: Juan-John | April 16, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I prefer Messi, as well (La Liga bias! anti-EPL bias!) but Messi cannot hit a shot like that.

Posted by: Reignking | April 16, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

RE: USSF supporters club. Just buy something from the USSF store. You'll be added to the marketing list, thereby accomplishing the same thing as joining the club. You won't get the membership card, but you'll save $50.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 16, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | April 16, 2009 9:38 AM

:-)

@Chest - yeah, the scarf, card and other swag will get buried in a closet. Looking forward to more effective ticketing procedures for members. Maybe during the next WC ticket process, we'll get exclusive use of the one FAX machine at US Soccer HQ!

Posted by: Kev29 | April 16, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 16, 2009 10:36 AM

I think that works for getting notification that a pre or general sale is coming. According to US Soccer, paid membership will... "have priority status to purchase 2010 FIFA World Cup tickets through U.S. Soccer, with access ahead of the general public."

So hopefully this will work like most legit membership schemes around the world, where members can actually buy tickets first. Call it a pre-pre-sale if you will. It could all be a scam to get $50 out of me, but I think it sounds alright.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 16, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Well, I got an e-mail from Ticketmaster about pre-pro-sales of Gold Cup tickets and I didn't join the Ticketmaster supporters club.

Kev29: You can join the I-270 club. I'll give you early access to my snarky comments, puns on country names, and groan-inducing jokes. Only $25. If you want swag, I'll throw in a sham wow that you can use as a scarf and to clean up after beer showers. Hurry, offer expires soon.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 16, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

USSF supporter's club? Screw that, proud member of Sam's Army. Do they not get that these things establish themselves organically? Or are they just trying to soak some dopes?

Posted by: teo_68 | April 16, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Gullit and Souness together in a studio. And we think MLS has stooges in the studios!!! Fitting that they were both Newcastle burnouts!

Posted by: MichaelVann7 | April 16, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

@270 - Ha! Can I get a ride home too, I live near there?

teo: Sam's Army membership certainly has its privileges - but access to WC tickets before the general public is not one of them. Think back to the distribution fiasco of 2006.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 16, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Capital ZZZZZZs after Cooper's strike from 60 yards.

Posted by: notafembot | April 16, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Testing comments.

Posted by: Bob Greiner | April 16, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I must have joined the Soccer Insider club. I get to see a nicer layout than before with a bigger picture of Steve and a twitter link.
Need to check my credit card statement.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 16, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Woah, just reloaded the page and boom! Goff's head is 3-Din' right off the screen.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 16, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

The blog is melting....melting....!

Posted by: Kev29 | April 16, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Report Abuse? Stop Snitchin'...

Posted by: DadRyan | April 16, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure the USSF based the new member program on this - http://englandfans.thefa.com

Posted by: Kev29 | April 16, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

As long as html isn't disabled, all is well.
I hate that it is completely disabled for most other "voices" pages on washingtonpost.com

Posted by: sitruc | April 16, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Hey Goff Lionel Messi is the the player in the world. Yes that was a great strike but many players on that level could do that 1-100 times. I'm not saying luck but how many of his long strikes don't even come close. Do you remember when Leo took the ball behind half beat 6 guys and the keeper? Now that was a goal. I know Ronaldo just won FIFA player of the year but that was a sham and he has been easily replaced by Lionel MessiAH!

Posted by: Conservativemindsareinshackles | April 16, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Conservativemindsareinshackles | April 16, 2009 11:39 AM
-------------------------------------------

It was a sham-wow...

Posted by: fischy | April 16, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Here's what I want from US Soccer: A color. One of them. The color that we wear to show our support.

I don't wear Nike stuff. I just don't. I would make an exception and and buy ONE Nike US jersey if I thought that I wouldn't be the only boob dressed in blue when US Soccer decides to rock the Red. (RED? When we have Blue or white Jerseys you call for red?).

I have 6 red jerseys. None of them say US on them. Shall I wear my red Czech jersey? Liverpool? Norway? The 4 Lions?

Now they're hocking a Liverpool-Red scarf to wear when we are sporting our blue or white jerseys.

Am I asking too much?

(Excuse me, can I get some decaf over here...?)

Posted by: JkR- | April 16, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Once again......

The reference to Ronaldo as the best player in the world was based on the FIFA award last year.

Once again.....

I have no opinion on the matter.

Enjoy the video of Ronaldo's wonder goal and let it be.

Posted by: Steve Goff | April 16, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Steve I didnt see your earlier post. Why dont you have an opinion? Most of the broadcasting community has an strong opinion? Does it have to do with Journalistic integrity? Some of the Britt rags could use a dose of that? Is it just a fundamental difference between print and TV journalism?

Posted by: Conservativemindsareinshackles | April 16, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

A sham!?

The man scored 43 goals in all competitions last year, guided Man. United to a second league title in a row and a Champions League title.

What exactly did Messi do to help Barca win the league title or the Champions League last season? Even in the battle between the two in last years Cl Semi-final Ronaldo was more effective than Messi as the result was United going to the final and winning it.

Messi may be playing the best football this season and deserves to be hailed as the best in the world, but Ronaldo had every right to win that claim for last year.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 16, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

The problem is that the leagues overlap the calendar year. For the second half of 2008 (the first half this La Liga and Premiership seasons) Lionel Messi was the best payer. FIFA doesnt take that into account for some reason. They need to make the year of eligibility more precise if its going to be that way. Since the major leagues run about the same time it should be called the 2008 CAMPAIGN FIFA player of the year. Speaking purely on terms of the calendar I do think Messi was the best player in 2008. Also goals alone does not a player make. Samuel Eto'o leads La Liga in scoring and I would gladly give him up for Fernando Torres

Posted by: Conservativemindsareinshackles | April 16, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I will say that I think FSC could give more respect and play to MLS (as could ESPN). FSC's Saves of the Week did not include anything from the MLS, even though Crayton's stop on Movsisyan and several of Ricketts' stops were better than most of the ones they did show.

Watching those highlights, though, revealed something interesting. Cech made the review, when he was able to get over and stop a free kick from Bolton's Matthew Taylor -- from almost exactly the same position that Aurelio schooled Cech on Tuesday. Guess Liverpool watched the Bolton game film and thought they could beat Cech on the same kick.

Posted by: fischy | April 16, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Oooo new look...now I can report abuse!

Jozy out 3-4 weeks for toenail surgery.

Posted by: Reignking | April 16, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

John Madden is retiring.

Too bad he couldn't go out on top like Harry Kalas (but I wonder if his passing has something to do with this).

Posted by: Reignking | April 16, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Maybe run a Goff poll, who is the best player in the world? Once Insider Nation weighs in, that should end the debate, who cares what FIFA says.

If you think many players could hit that shot you are smokin crack. Ronaldo his own bad self says it is the best goal he's ever scored . . . . . and he's scored quite a few

Posted by: OWNTF | April 16, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Go out on top like Kalas? Or Nelson Rockefeller.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 16, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

John Harkes could hit that shot.

Posted by: Reignking | April 16, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

"Report Abuse"

Ronaldo abused Porto. Does that count?

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 16, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

the one thing about messi that i still cant get over, was his version of hand of god. Im sorry but you can hate a guy all you want for diving , but punching the ball into the net is utterly inexcusable.

Posted by: pino149 | April 16, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

What have I done....

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 16, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Stop it, I-270, you're making me Hungary. I wonder if there's any Turkey in the fridge?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 16, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

"the world's best player"

it's true, but it makes me die inside a little bit every time i hear/read it. i do hate him so.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | April 16, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

@SportzNut21

you laugh, but the Hungarian Cultural Center here in NYC is just launching a yearlong festival called "Extremely Hungary"

complete with Mustache Contest (someone get Steinz up here tonight)!

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | April 16, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm Hungary for some Holland-aise sauce.

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 16, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

If this keeps up, I'm gonna hafta Estonia...

I'll be back later to check on youse guys. I'm Russian for an appointment....

Posted by: fischy | April 16, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Armenia can't keep making these bad puns....

Posted by: fischy | April 16, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Greece is the word....

Posted by: fischy | April 16, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I'll be back later to check on youse guys. I'm Russian for an appointment....

Posted by: fischy | April 16, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse
===================

I would have been late to my meeting if I walked. Instead, Iran.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 16, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Well. I'm done with this silliness. It's kickoff time in Manchester. I'll just Basque in the glow of the cathode-ray tubes...

Posted by: fischy | April 16, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Apples in oranges between the two players, really.

By the way, the only blast from long range that, I think, topped that was Seedorf's. This was sick crazy.

Messi can dribble through just about anybody, and he's become quite consistent(used to disappear a little during the season) but, as long as United are riding through the Champion's league on Ronaldo's game changing moments, Messi will come up number two.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 16, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

By the by -- a thrilling game in Manchester this afternoon. Great irony in that City probably didn't deserve either of its goals -- generous officiating -- but created numerous wonderful second-half chances that just narrowly missed.

Posted by: fischy | April 16, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

It was a sham-wow...

Posted by: fischy | April 16, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

The guy in the Sham-Wow commercials was arrested for abusing a stripper after she bit his tongue.

Ah, to be a celebrity (sort of)!

Posted by: kdiff813 | April 16, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Excuse me, I meant hooker, not stripper. It's still just as funny though.

Posted by: kdiff813 | April 16, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

I would have been late to my meeting if I walked. Instead, Iran.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 16, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Calling A Flock of Seagulls...

"And Iraaaaaan, Iran's so far awaayyyyy..."

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 16, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Messi half packed. Ronaldo full package with header, shots, dribble and full game influence. There is not really a comparison unless you are not being fully honest.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 16, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse