T&T Coaching Change

According to Trinidad and Tobago's soccer federation, Colombian Francisco Maturana is out as national team coach "due to differences in opinions regarding the way forward in the FIFA 2010 World Cup qualification campaign for South Africa."

On an interim basis, midfielder/assistant coach Russell Latapy, 40, will guide the Soca Warriors and be assisted by U-20 coach Zoran Vranes. T&T has two ties and a loss after three of 10 matches in the final round of qualifying.

By Steve Goff  |  April 8, 2009; 3:37 PM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Latest FIFA Rankings
Next: Edu, Johnson Score; Beasley Hurt

Comments

Steve, please post this for the world to see. I want to hear the replies to his position...

Posted by: OhBoyOhBoy | April 8, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

@OhBoyOhBoy,

Wabash College - that's like a the same as Strayer University or University of Phoenix, right?

Oh - it's an all-male liberal arts school in the sticks of Indiana?

BITING MY TONGUE - my comments can only get worse from here.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 8, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

According to ESPN2, Liv Tyler is playing Che Guevera.

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 8, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Cmon, not that stupid article again.

Apparently, Francisco Maturana wasn't paying Jack Warner enough money.

Posted by: Reignking | April 8, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I think I smell Jack Warner....

I guess Maturana had no stomach working for the Big Boss Man of CONCACA (aka, CONCACAF).

Posted by: JosephDHippolito | April 8, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OhBoyOhBoy | April 8, 2009 3:45 PM

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but the author of that article successfully made me think less of him after reading his work. Nothing against his style, but it's clear that this was a guy who knew nothing about soccer and suddenly decided to write a piece based totally on his ignorance and failed logic.

I understand his problem with the approach we take with kids' youth teams, even though I'm sure that he doesn't understand how the youth structure in American soccer really works. Kids aren't taught to be competitive in youth soccer (speaking generally). We don't keep score. Everyone gets a trophy. We east oranges, drink Capri-Suns, and parents socialize. I don't know if we are doing well to give the kids a competitive outlook compatible with capitalism. Other than that I strongly dislike almost everything that he put out there.

I will probably think less of Wabash College for this (albeit unfairly)

Posted by: davethelad | April 8, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

*When I say youth soccer I mean at the recreational level, not club level. Also, I am not saying the way we approach rec soccer is necessarily bad either.

Posted by: davethelad | April 8, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Ivanovic picked a good time to score his first goals for Chelsea...

Posted by: Reignking | April 8, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OhBoyOhBoy | April 8, 2009 3:45 PM

This has to be the most ignorant rant I have ever read. I want those 3 minutes of my life back. It makes Jim Rome look like a huge soccer supporter. What an a*&hole!

Posted by: RedskinAddict | April 8, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Joe Doc: I have no idea what you're talking about, but I'm rooting for Liv Tyler.

So the Wall Street Journal is now the paper for second-run opinions that were previously in a religion journal? How did the editors miss that?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 8, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

March 12, 2009. That article is almost a month old.

Posted by: Reignking | April 8, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Check out the link in the poll blog guys. Very positive development.

Posted by: blackandred777 | April 8, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 8, 2009 4:14 PM

ESPN CHE 3 LIV 1

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 8, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

From knowing a little background of this situation Lapaty is the coach only in name to please the Trinidad fanbase after the Leo Beenhakker experience went over in Trinidad. Zoran Vranes is the man that will be actually handling the day-to-day of the team as he's the 1 with the actual coaching experience while Lapaty is still trying to play games for the National Team.

Posted by: BenCanada | April 8, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Latapy still at Fairkirk? Either way this is good and bad news. Good news because the qualification performance by TnT has been so listless so far things had to change. Bad news is Latapy is intent on playing still. How is he going to pick squads? And what international experience does this Zoran Vranes have? I don't forsee a return to the World Cup for my little island(s) nation.

Posted by: Solnoir | April 8, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

My. God. It's satire, folks. Not "ignorance and failed logic:" satire. And it's almost as funny as SG mocking the state of things by alluding to moving vans and decidedly unfunny midwestern cities.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | April 8, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

BTW, Maurice Edu scored for Rangers today and Eddie Johnson scored 2 times for Cardiff :).

Latapy no longer plays for Falkirk, he "retired" from there in January I believe to take an "assistant coach" job with the national team. I'm sure Latapy will have a say with who he thinks should be playing and such but since he still wants to play himself Vranes will have the controls. Vranes has run the U-20's in Trinidad and just knows the system in the West Indies.

Posted by: BenCanada | April 8, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I'd expect nothing less from the WSJ...

Posted by: VTUnited | April 8, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OhBoyOhBoy | April 8, 2009 3:45 PM
-------------------------------------

That article is hilarious. It actually made me laugh.

It made me want to write a rebuttal about how America is ruining soccer.

But that would be a waste of my time.

Posted by: TCompton | April 8, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

It wasn't funny by mistake, TCompton. He meant to make you laugh. You got that, right?

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | April 8, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Slightly OT, but nobody else (MLSnet included) has done this, and Goff is busy enough as it is.

Posted by: Juan-John | April 8, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

OT:

Cruzeiro are lost around La Plata and may have to forfeit tonight's match against Estudiantes.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 8, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Apparently, Francisco Maturana wasn't paying Jack Warner enough money.

Posted by: Reignking | April 8, 2009 4:00 PM
---------------------------------------------

Apparently, Trinidad & Tobago were getting destroyed in qualifying, and need to do something differently. I'm surprised it took a week to send him packing...

I always liked Latapy...especially his name.

Posted by: fischy | April 8, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I figured that T&T would have had 3 points after 3 matches (L-W-L). I don't think having 2 is that bad, when you consider that they've been without Yorke for the last 2 matches. I don't think Yorke would have helped them much against us, except for the scoreline, but he may have kept them from throwing away 2 points against Honduras.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 9, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse