Tuesday Kickaround

*More than 28,000 tickets have been sold for the USA national team's next World Cup qualifier at home: June 6 vs. Honduras at Chicago's Soldier Field. The Americans play at Costa Rica three days earlier.

*Listen to USA goalkeeper Tim Howard talk about Everton's PK victory over Manchester United in the FA Cup semifinals.

*The USA women will play a pair of friendlies against Canada this summer: July 19 in Rochester, N.Y. (ESPN) and July 22 in Charleston, S.C. (Fox Soccer Channel).

*Women's Professional Soccer unveils its new Web site with access to video from matches that were not televised.

*The USA under-17 boys open the CONCACAF tournament today at 7 p.m. ET against Cuba in Tijuana, Mexico.

*Rowdy youth soccer parents told to back off.

Keep reading for Americans Abroad and Soccer on TV.....

*Americans abroad:
F Eddie Johnson and Cardiff City at Charlton
GK Marcus Hahnemann and Reading at Derby County
MF Danny Szetela and Brescia vs. Avellino
D Carlos Bocanegra and Rennes at Grenoble in French Cup semifinals

*Soccer on TV:
Spain, Real Madrid-Getafe 3 p.m. GolTV
England, Liverpool-Arsenal 3 p.m. Setanta
Copa Libertadores, Palmeiras-LDU Quito 7 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
South American U-17, Venezuela-Ecuador 7 p.m. GolTV
Copa Libertadores, San Martin-Nacional 9:30 p.m. FSE
South American U-17, Chile-Argentina 10 p.m. GolTV

Join me later for news from RFK Stadium, the USA World Cup bid update and more.....

By Steve Goff  |  April 21, 2009; 9:02 AM ET
Categories:  TV , U.S. men's national team , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans Abroad, Monday Edition
Next: Terps in MLS

Comments

WPS site is an improvement, but it is a bit cluttered and there is some redundancy on there.

Posted by: sitruc | April 21, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

As Claudio Reyna wrote, imagine giving a child crayons and a coloring book and then standing over them yelling that they went out of the lines, they're using the wrong color, they're not coloring hard enough...

Posted by: teo_68 | April 21, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I have 2 of those 28,000. I hope the other 27,998 were bought by US Supporters.

Does anyone know if the U-17 CONCACAF qualifiers will be televised or online???

Posted by: adamsunited | April 21, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

We need a soccer term for those foolish parents . . . patriarchal hooligans er something . . .

Posted by: delantero | April 21, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

You can see some odd parent behavior even at the pre-school level. It starts early. I suppose I'd get angry if the other team was constantly hacking my kid and getting away with, but for an offside call? On a 13 year-old? Freakin' Potomac parents.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 21, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I too have coached girls soccer for 10 years and in WAGS, The Bethesda Soccer Club is well known as having the most abusive and obnoxious parents, in large part because the club itself fancies itself as the "best" in the area, though it is a recruiting club rather than a coaching club. Most of us longer time coaches have figured out that in Montgomery County at least, you pick your parents before you pick your players. That way you not only get to coach the kids, teach them how to play the game, but also enjoy yourself.

Posted by: Ruthie1 | April 21, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sitruc | April 21, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sitruc | April 21, 2009 9:21 AM

Posted by: universityandpark | April 21, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

WAGS at that age requires the teams to provide parent ARs and get them certified. Maybe they should just run the lines and leave offsides to the "neutral" ref. On the other hand, each team theoretically has a few parents who actually know the rule.

"Potomac parents" . . . . a gross generalization . . . . I saw more than a few of such folks on the sidelines at MD State Cup games this weekend, reading books or newspapers during games. Let's not paint with too broad a brush.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 21, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

A link to Cosmo Girl? sitruc, you got some 'splainin' to do

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 21, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Oops, I hit the send button by mistake. I was going to note that the WP's software occasionally repeats the last word on a line at the start of the next line, and in this case it happened with "redundancy", which is a bit ironic.

Posted by: universityandpark | April 21, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

You are correct OWNTF. Apologies to all well-behaved Potomac parents.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 21, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

The problem in youth soccer mentioned here is not overstated. It's easy to take one anecdote and make gross generalizations, but in this case the story is a microcosm of the general state of things. In my youth soccer playing, reffing, coaching and now parenting experience, the percentage of games where there are issues now is at least 25% if not higher. That's unacceptable.

As my son's coach said in response to a parent who was commenting that another coach (rightfully in her mind) didn't play the weak players in tight spots, "Really, for 8 and 9 year olds?"

Posted by: paj18 | April 21, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

US team traveling to Tijuana for a game? That's not too smart.

Posted by: Reignking | April 21, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

==============================

Really? How do you judge them? Foot skills? Height and weight? The car they drive? Tell you something I've picked up over time - - the apple doesn't always fall next to the tree.

To suggest that Bethesda girls side is not a coaching club is ignorant, especially if you've been coaching in Montco for 10 years.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 21, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

More than 28,000 tickets sold for US v Honduras.
Using the 2001 RFK debacle, I guess 24000 Honduras fans and about 4000 US fans...
Well done US Soccer, again!

Posted by: Granitza78 | April 21, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

US team traveling to Tijuana for a game? That's not too smart.

Posted by: Reignking | April 21, 2009 10:21 AM
_________________________________________

So it is better to forfeit a chance for a world champtionship?

The more interesting question is whether any Cuban players will exploit the situation, being so close to the border.

Posted by: universityandpark | April 21, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

On my teams growing up, we had a policy in place: Parents yelling anything negative directed at a ref or player (from either team) got one warning. After that, the parent was asked to go to the parking lot (or, if it was still close, actually stay inside their car). If they refused, their son was subbed off. Even the parents that can't control themselves on the sidelines usually straighten up when their kid was suffering the punishment for their actions. I only recall one kid ever actually getting pulled from a game.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 21, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, that's what I was saying. Duh.

Posted by: Reignking | April 21, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm not worried about Tij-

Wait, I'm being told Carlos Martinez is on that team...

Okay, maybe I'm worried...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 21, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

The video of Leslie Osborne visiting the doctor is pretty hot...Is that a teddy she's wearing? I was a little disappointed I couldn't find any skorts for sale on the site;-)

I'm glad I've got a few more years to study up on being the right kind of parent in my daughter's sporting endeavors. I might just shine it all and take her to the skatepark...

To this day I wonder where baseball may have led me had I not walked away from it my freshman year of highschool. Lame parents/coaches and the lack of support I was getting from my own parents made it difficult to stay motivated. This thread goes to show that while the "adults" argue the kids opportunity to enjoy sports is diminished, all the while they're learning to be intolerant, and close minded. Way to go parents!

Treat others the way you would like to be treated ESPECIALLY in front of your kids.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 21, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

That Cosmogirl photo piece on MLS's "hot guys" is worth checking out if only for the hilarious "model" shots of Stuart Holden and Robbie Rogers. Can't wait to hear what DadRyan has to say about those, but I'm betting it ends in "ay"

Posted by: edgeonyou | April 21, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Nah, no interest in reading hot guys articles.... Have at it boyzzzz.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 21, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Average attendance at MLS matches thus far in 2009: 14,686. Average attendance during the regular season 2008: 16,460. Lousy weather at the outset in some cities, tough economic times, and the young nature of the season partially explain this 10.8% drop. The Beckham effect also comes into play. Last year, the Galaxy drew 26,009 at its home games; in 2009 the corresponding figure is only 19,346. We will see a sharp drop off in attendance at Galaxy road games as well this season. To wit: last June when Becks and his squad visited San Jose, the Earthquakes drew 39,872 in Oakland; the figure from last weekend's (Beckham-free) clash at the same venue: 15,862.

Posted by: bartapest1 | April 21, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I tried to listen to the Tim Howard interview but got distracted by the "video" stream. It reminded me of being 13 and my older brother playing his brand new In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida album over and over again. That was very radical stuff way back then.
DadRyan and Bonghits4gomez,you should check it out.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | April 21, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bartapest1 | April 21, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I have been a youth soccer coach for a dozen years or so. This problem will never go away unless the mentality of some teams is changed and it starts with the coach. The coach of this team in question is most likely paid and therefore is afraid of losing his meal ticket if he or she clamps done on the parents behavior (Bethesda teams are usually comprised of kids that are recruited from all over and have a paid coach). The coach of this team needs to take control of the parental behavior or it won't change.

I am also a club rep for WAGS and they do have mechanisms in place to stop this behavior. If the parents are out of control then the coach can receive a red card for their antics. In additon, each team must appoint a team sportsmanship liason (TSL) that is responsible for monitoring just such behavior. The fact that WAGS felt neither would help in this situation tells you everything you need to know about this team. I doubt this was their first incident.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 21, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

dadryan . . . you need a Brazilian nanny . . . it's never too early for skills

Posted by: OWNTF | April 21, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

"Tells you everything you need to know about this team"? Really?

I don't know this team or its parents much, and I am not affiliated with it in any way. I do know they had a prior coach arrested for alleged abuse (Goff linked to that story a while back). They then had what I thought of as an interim (but experienced) coach, and I know they have a new coach now. I know her, she took over very recently, I am not sure exactly when, but I know she would never tolerate sideline abuse by parents, and I know as well that she is top notch as a player, coach and person, and any parent among you would be pleased as punch to have her coach your daughters, and your daughters would be pleased as well.

People -- especially coaches and WAGS reps-- should be more careful what they say on this public forum about other coaches and clubs when they don't know all the facts. Or any of the facts.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 21, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Brazilian nanny? That sounds like trouble for daddy...;-)
The LilRyan has had her Mia Hamm skills ball at her disposal before she could even crawl...:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | April 21, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

As a referee in my teens, there was hardly a weekend that went by without having to deal with an especially nasty parent. More often than not it was their own kid telling them to shut-it before it became a real issue, and for the most part only a few bad apples spoiled the bunch. Although I can remember stopping a WAGS game and ushering all the spectators to the parking lot before resuming. That went over real well with all the dues paying parents watching from their cars.

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | April 21, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Good call on the Osbourne video, DadRyan. I just wish co-workers hadn't already seen me looking at CosmoGirl

Posted by: sitruc | April 21, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Croftonpost is right. The responsibility comes down to the coach. If a coach lays down the law with the kids and parents then there will be fewer problems. Unfortunately, many youth coaches think they are coaching world cup sides. Nothing makes me more disgusted than hearing a coach make a snarky comment about other teams or players during a practice or a match. If the coach is a self-important, arrogant fool then parents are going to take their cue from the coach.

Posted by: hacksaw | April 21, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Glad the parents are being dealt with, but honestly, I was expecting a far more egregious tale of wrongdoing.

The offense in this particular case seemed almost run of the mill, I'm sad to say.

Posted by: JkR- | April 21, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

DadRyan, thanks for the Osbourne hook-up...that does appear to be some sort of "evening" wear, but I could be wrong.

BTW, you still need a ticket to tomorrow night's game? I have an extra Mezz ticket and will be in Lot 8 prior to game (not too early, cuz I drive from the hills of Virginia).

Posted by: Smitty8 | April 21, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Ah yes, the parents.

I finally gave up on reffing after 7 years because of them. It just wasn't worth screwing up my weekends over the rantings of packs of idiots.

Posted by: seahawkdad | April 21, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------I've coached youth soccer for 10 years, the parents are far and away the worst part of it. why don't they just go shopping or something.

Posted by: teo_68 | April 21, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

While there are a lot of bad parents, there are a lot more bad coaches. Coaches who cannot shut their mouth for 1 second during a game. Reyna's statement is also very applicable to coaches. What is truly pathetic is that some of these so-called coaches with meticulous soccer credentials haven't got a clue what they are doing...

Posted by: Barracudas | April 21, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

If WAGS parents want to attend a soccer game and yell stuff they want they can sign up for membership at www.screaming-eagles.com (we do have a no violence or racism clause!)

K

Posted by: goaldigger | April 21, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, if you'll reference a Wash Post article from last summer (July 14, 2008) on "Sideline Rage," (Google "sideline rage") the onus is not on the coaches, but on the parents themselves. The coaches responsibility is to the children and needs to keep lines of communication open so all members of the team (including parents) are on the same page in terms of expectations, team goals, etc.

The solution is simply said, but hard to impart: Parents check your EGOS at the gate!

This is a fun and exciting opportunity for your children to test what they have learned from their coaches and peers and put it into practical use, as well as the ability to do it among friends. The outcome of a single game will have no more impact on your child's sports "career" that getting a "c" on quiz at school. However, that being said, how much parents' value that outcome plays a tremendous role in how children interpret that game experience, win or lose.

This is not a Bethesda or Potomac issue. Nor is it a youth soccer issue. This is a worldwide epidemic that spans the youth sports environment from DC to London to Sydney and back.

As a researcher, educator, sports administrator, coach, and parent, please let kids play and encourage them to learn from their own mistakes and from those of others (including referees). This learning process may be the single most transferable life skill that sports has to offer.

Posted by: jgoldst1 | April 21, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF,

The above post was accurate. The system is set up so that parental behavior is ultimately the responsibility of the coach. That is all the post is referring to. It never personally attacked the individual coach.

Posted by: blackandred777 | April 21, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I was not trying to attack the coach personally, I was merely speculating on situations I have seen first hand which I should have been upfront about and I apologize. However, I stand by the overall context of what I stated previously. One of the problem's in youth soccer is paid coaches. The reason it is a problem is that the system puts the onus on the coaches to police their parents. Policing the parents is problematic to some paid coaches because they are also the meal tickets and they often have the right to fire the coach (notice I said some). I also believe some paid coaches behavior is counter productive to the youth experience. It should be about fair play, development, and sportmanship with winning as a secondary goal. However, as paid coaches some feel compelled to place winning as the primary goal for the sake of their position which in turn filters down to the parents and players. I don't think this is going on, I know it is as I have seen this numerous times first hand.

Additionally, I personally know the administrators and I can assure everyone that they would not take such actions if this was a one time isolated incident. Something was going on that they felt they had to handle. The action took was not routine and is not done typically.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 21, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Smitty8: If my better half will let me out on short notice, I'd be stoked to go! I'm broke as a joke, but I'm sure I'd be able to meet you in Lot 8 with a 6 pack at least. I'm not sure how to send messages through this website... Can find my profile but not yours.
Anyway to reach you elsewhere? Big Soccer? Facebook?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 21, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

And I forgot to add, that at this past weekend's Travel Basketball Tournament, the behaviour by the parents was much much worse than what is reported here. But Basketball is an American sport, so obviously is not going to make any news with that type of behaviour...

Posted by: Barracudas | April 21, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan

facebook - Jeremy Smith

Posted by: Smitty8 | April 21, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan

I'll have some beer and some other festivities

Posted by: Smitty8 | April 21, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Right on, think I found you on FB... friend request being sent now.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 21, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse