United at White House

Ben Olsen and Devon McTavish are there this afternoon for events surrounding the annual White House Easter Egg Roll. (Kids! Careful of Ben's ankle and Devon's head wound.)

Perhaps the players will extend a formal invitation to the Prez to attend a match soon. Or maybe seek permission to build a stadium on the South Lawn.

Your pithy comments about this breaking news, of course, are welcome.

By Steve Goff  |  April 13, 2009; 12:51 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS Observations
Next: Americans Abroad, Monday Edition

Comments

Maybe if Olsen and McT work with the Obama girls on their sole roll step-overs, the girls will drag dad out to RFK. I hope he's not a Fire fan.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 13, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Everything will be fine unless Ben explains to Sasha or Malia exactly what he said to Blanco to get him to feign throwing a punch.

Posted by: griffin1108 | April 13, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I guess they didn't want to unleash the Namoff all over the front lawn. I was kind of looking forward to Namoff v Secret Service.

Posted by: addick | April 13, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

South Lawn?? Arrrggghhh, too far for the Virginians! (Rends garments).....

Posted by: JkR- | April 13, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they'll get there and realize they should've written in Ron Paul instead.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 13, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

@ OWNTF "I hope he's not a Fire fan."

Then it would be the White House Easter Egg Stop, Drop, and Roll.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | April 13, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

@OWNTF,

He's distanced himself from the club - something about a Pay-for-Play situation involving Wilman Conde.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 13, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Ben should stay off that ankle a bit more... he seems to be doing more leg work in the community than the front office has done PR

Posted by: inzzo79 | April 13, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Ben can find some of that stimulus money I keep hearing about. RFK is on federal land. Obama could cut a check to rebuild RFK (he is tight with the Kennedys, would hate to see the stadium bearing Robert's name disappear hopefully).

Maybe they would like to build a completely 'green' stadium. Just make sure it has decent beer. Obama seems like a beer guy.

Posted by: bluesfan1 | April 13, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

DCU guys? I thought Obama was a eurosnob and supporter of West Ham.

Posted by: Josh8 | April 13, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

@JkR: You should have warned me not to take a sip before reading that.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 13, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I may not have a good joke (yet), but my goal is to one day work in movies, writing, directing and such, and when I do, I'm coming here and hiring a few of you guys (I-270, I'm turning you into I-285). You do do great jobs. Bravo to all.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 13, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Hmm...how many jobs do you think the Poplar Point project would have created for construction, planning, etc.?

Posted by: addick | April 13, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

OK, but I am not getting on that casting couch. Well, maybe if it's integral to the art of the film.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 13, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

put it on the Ellipse so visiting teams have to deal with United AND the army of rats

Posted by: teo_68 | April 13, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

taxation without reprsentation = no pork for DCU stadium

Posted by: Jaywag86 | April 13, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 13, 2009 1:40 PM

"Twice in a Lifetime: The Extraordinary Story of DC United and Volkswagen Arena at Poplar Point."

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 13, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

teo_68, you have obviously never been to RFK - the Anacostia rats there eat the Ellipse rats for breakfast!

Good on Benny and Devon, but I hope none of those little rugrats roll on Ben's ankles.

Posted by: dcufan | April 13, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

McTavish is reading 5 Little Monkey's... its streaming live right now!

Posted by: JB252 | April 13, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

..and i just caught the irony of the monkeys falling off the bed and bumping their heads :P

Posted by: JB252 | April 13, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Hope the eggs are really hard boiled. Otherwise, the juggling could get messy.

Posted by: Curious99 | April 13, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I didn't realize co-workers were standing behind me watching me watch a bunch of little kids on my monitor with headphones on. Thanks, JB252.

Posted by: sitruc | April 13, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse