United Preparing for RSL

*In D.C. United's two previous visits to Salt Lake City, the club has allowed six goals in a pair of humbling losses on artificial turf. The primary culprit was forward Robbie Findley, who in 2007, just two days after being acquired from Los Angeles, scored twice to end the club's 11-game winless streak to start the season. Last year he had a goal and an assist. The 23-year-old forward heads into this Saturday's meeting with DCU at Rio Tinto Stadium (natural grass) after registering a hat trick against Columbus last week.

"The hat trick is a little loaded -- a couple mistakes, I think, went his way," DCU Coach Tom Soehn said. "What you do know, between him and Yura [Movsisyan], they're explosive and they are dynamic with their runs. They run off each other well. From the other guys who are feeding him, we have to pressure the ball well enough so they don't have clean service. We have to be careful to cover each other so that when the ball does get played behind, we've got cover and guys can clean up behind them. He is all about pace. I don't know if he is the cleanest, but he is going to get his chances because he is so fast."

*Salt Lake weather forecast Saturday: 39-56 degrees, 40% chance of rain

*United needed three league games to earn its first shutout this season. Last year? 17 games (Aug. 2).

*Reminder: Saturday's match is a late-afternoon start in SLC (4 p.m.), which means a 6 o'clock kickoff Eastern time. For the third straight match, no standard TV coverage.

By Steve Goff  |  April 7, 2009; 1:52 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vieri to Galaxy?
Next: Bora Is Back?

Comments

Translation: "If Crayton doesn't pass the ball twice to Findley like Hesmer did, I think we'll be in good shape. I'm a little more worried about pressuring Mathis and Beckerman than I am about Findley. Findley's not going to create anything on his own that we don't give him."

Posted by: OWNTF | April 7, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

There you go Goffer! Throwing punches at the BS that is no standard TV coverage... Maybe the real reason for poor attendance is that no one knows the season started nearly 4 weeks ago?!?

Looking forward to another physical game. At least we won't be missing players due to them not wanting to play on Turf... That sure helped out last year didn't it?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 7, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I assume the reason Comcast SportsNet is not picking up the DCU game is because the Caps and Wiz are still in-season.

That being said, at least tape delay the game at another time for those fans that want to see it. You don't need half the crap they show on that channel anyway.

Posted by: therealfootball | April 7, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I agree with DadRyan about the lack of tv coverage hurting united. Hopefully espn2 will put us in the light again on the 17th.

Posted by: DCUNITEDTRAVERS | April 7, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I thought the down attendance was due to Kevin Payne changing the fanbase.

Posted by: restonhoops | April 7, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

What is the deal with the TV coverage? This franchise seems to be in a slow decline heading into obsolesence.

Posted by: jlm31 | April 7, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: therealfootball | April 7, 2009 2:19 PM

United are happy with their Comcast deal - which frankly would be a lot worse if MASN didn't exist and CSN could show baseball.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 7, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. Especially since Comcast SN has 2 channels still, right? Why not put us on Comcast +? I guess I will just have to shell out the $20 to watch online.

Posted by: fedssocr | April 7, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Apparently the institutional disrespect that DCU has for RSL continues. Will Tommy the Village Idiot start his back-up keeper again and rest Christian or Benny? Soehn's comment about Findley's goals are typical of this guy's stupidity and his low regard for players with creative and athletic skills.

Posted by: lgm6986 | April 7, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

And Fire Tom Soehn Watch in 3...2...1...

Posted by: DWE4 | April 7, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fedssocr | April 7, 2009 2:38 PM

The Comcast second option (CSN+) on their systems ends on April 1, when MASN get that channel to show the Orioles/Nats second choice.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 7, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow- the negativitly on here has reached knew heights...people need to step back from the ledge.

Posted by: laur84 | April 7, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

How is what Tom said about the goals disrespectful? It's true, if it wasn't for the goalie given goals away the match may have been better.

As for the coverage, what did you expect?

I really think it might be time for Kevin Payne to head out. He's made too many roster blunder in the past few years.

Posted by: hardcoco | April 7, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

@restonhoops | April 7, 2009 2:23 PM

Wicked.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 7, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Finally - some people beginning to realize that Payne should go . . .

Posted by: LCR-54 | April 7, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Correction: Crayton only needed one game for a shut out. I'm optimistic about this season. We've got so much depth now.

Posted by: bspence11 | April 7, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Let's chill!
The old RSL field provided an advantage them an advantage we may never understand. . . that and us starting back-up keepers in their first game.

Posted by: carnack | April 7, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I guess I will just have to shell out the $20 to watch online.

Posted by: fedssocr | April 7, 2009 2:38 PM
-----------------------------------

I assume you're talking abou the MLS online package? Just to clarify, if you want to watch a single game, it's something like $5. $20 gets you the entire season!

Posted by: edgeonyou | April 7, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I've already started to break this one down with a position-by-position analysis. I'm sure that you may disagree...

Posted by: realslfan | April 7, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

So you want ComcastSportsNet to fly to Salt Lake City, produce the match, record it just to show on delay? Good luck with that one! The match is being broadcast by local TV in Salt Lake, Comcast won't want to show that recording (and they'd probably have to pay for it)...

Posted by: Kev29 | April 7, 2009 2:37 PM

As I understand it, TV coverage for MLS is all generally produced locally. The only thing flown out to a road game is the on air talent.

And now on to one of my dead horses: For a young league, it does make sense to have exposure on TV, so every road game ought to be televised. Every. Single. One.

The games can be shown on delay for the home team unless a sellout or some minimum numbers of tickets are sold in advance. This seems so obvious to me, but the league hasn't done anything like this yet.

Posted by: CDRHoek | April 7, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Wait...You're going to pay to watch a game online? I thought the purpose of the internet was to make copyright infringement more accessible and user-friendly. No?

Posted by: BelovedCartoonMouse | April 7, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Nothing like listening to a soccer game on the radio, old school style-- you get the feeling like you're back in the 20th century. ; )

Hooray for old school!

Posted by: redskinsux | April 7, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Glad I got DK on DirecTV this year. It is much better than that online stuff, with several games in HD. Good stuff.

I heard the quality of the online service is better this year, though. Is that true?

Posted by: DCU4LIFE | April 7, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Hooray for old school!

Posted by: redskinsux | April 7, 2009 6:07 PM
===============

But it's annoying when a song comes and goes on the radio (or a funny commercial on the TV) and your kids ask you to play it again.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 7, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys, Jordan from SLC here.
It sucks that you guys are not getting the game on TV there. We had to go through 4 seasons of getting very little games on the TV. I lived on the internet.
What I think is funny is that Rio Tinto Stadium was built and planned for television broadcasts. I would think the equipment would be there. Don't know why DC would not show the game.
Well, good luck, but GO RSL!

Posted by: three11stu | April 8, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse