United News & Notes

*As part of its blossoming business relationship with Prince George's County, D.C. United was excited to stage its annual charity golf tournament at a prominent course in that Maryland jurisdiction this summer. Not anymore.

The Insider has learned that the county government's recent decision to withdraw support for a soccer stadium has prompted United to move the golf outing to Virginia. The event will now probably be held at Reston National in Fairfax County. (Before you get too excited, let me assure you that there are no stadium plans pending in Fairfax.)

*With the Washington Capitals advancing to the second round of the NHL playoffs, Comcast SportsNet appears to have programming conflicts. The cable outlet is slated to show United's matches next Wednesday and Saturday, but those are the same dates as Games 3 and 5 of the Caps-Penguins series. Comcast will have to move its United production to another channel, provide tape-delay coverage, or not show the matches at all and agree to pick up games later in the season. [UPDATE: Awaiting official word from Comcast on their plans......United's game on Wednesday will be shown live by Comcast because the Versus network has exclusive national rights to the Caps game. As for next Saturday's game, a final decision will be made later this week, Comcast says.]

*DCU's official injury list: F Jaime Moreno (Achilles' tendon strain) is questionable, while MF Christian Gomez (hamstring strain) and F Ange N'Silu (hip flexor strain) are probable.

By Steve Goff  |  April 29, 2009; 11:20 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wednesday Kickaround
Next: Euro Matchday: Manchester United-Arsenal

Comments

So what's the good news?

Posted by: sitruc | April 29, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Oh how my hatred for the Caps and Comcast continues!!!

Posted by: no_recess | April 29, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Can I just get excited because the Golf Tournament course is a mile from my house?

Posted by: kolbkl | April 29, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I'd bet if they could break their deal to have visiting teams stay at National Harbor, they'd back out there, too. I wonder how much coin the ownership wasted trying to woo PG (not to mention the opportunity cost)?

Posted by: schmuckatelli | April 29, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and Caps games 1 thru 3 are national telecast exclusives, meaning that they'll only be on NBC (Game 1), and Versus (2 and 3). So the Wednesday game is OK for CSN.

Saturday (if necessary) would be a conflict.

Posted by: kolbkl | April 29, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

According to Comcast SportsNet's round 2 schedule post, the net will not show Caps games one through three. Under NHL rules, Versus has exclusivity on some games in this round.

Posted by: evwill | April 29, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Comcast picks up the local coverage of Versus telecasts.

Posted by: Steve Goff | April 29, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Isn't the National Harbor deal dependent on the visiting team's decision? I wonder if DCU/MLS is "encouraging" teams to avail themselves of the many other lodging options in the area.

Posted by: beach3 | April 29, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

If a match is on a National channel like Versus, I don't see why a local station would pick up the programming, particularly if they already had a commitment.

I know a playoff match with Pittsburgh would garner larger ratings, but this seems like a case of cutting off one's own nose to spite their face.

Posted by: alecw81 | April 29, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Shorter DCU: And that's it and that's the only thing I need, is this. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray. And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need.

Posted by: EdTheRed | April 29, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm awaiting official word from Comcast folks about their programming plans.
Hope to have an update soon.....

Posted by: Steve Goff | April 29, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Ahh.. Good move. Why should United give anything they don't deserve. After all they slap in the face of United. First they said we want you and then we don't want you attitude.
As for the Comcast thing I have a feeling that they will figure it a way to avoid showing United games. Never ending hocky games. Are they going to play all year if they keep tying? Showing game on tape delay is not the same as agreed to show live games. They should let some other station to carry the game even if they have to pay. If united has some good negotiators they will get it; otherwise, it will like up until now with NO TV for home games.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 29, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

So the Caps situation - according to the Comcast site... http://comcastsportsnet.tv/pages/landing?Round-2-Schedule-Capitals-vs-Penguins=1&blockID=51609&feedID=287

Wednesday, May 6 game will not be on CSN, because of the above noted Versus "exclusivity" this round. Which I guess means that Versus gets to air the game everywhere - without local coverage/blackouts.

So I'm thinking that United keeps next Wednesday's (@KC) TV but loses out on the Saturday 5/9 (Toronto) home game.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 29, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Comcast spokeswoman confirms that the United game will be shown live on Wednesday on CSN.

Posted by: Steve Goff | April 29, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I have a question: Why is NBC, CBS or Fox ever show United games where they show all other american sports games live? Why are they so anti. Not to mention ABC only obligated to show one game, well maybe two, per year because of the espn connection. Why are they so anti, i mean anti soccer, anti united??? I simply do not get it. Are they live in 8th century?

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 29, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Canceling the away match will be unacceptable. Any email links that we can use to crash some servers at Comcast? They screw us enough with Skins preseason, let's do this!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 29, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Ok, i will give them a little break now but not so much. Thanks for the update.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 29, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I meant to say why is not ever show but you get the idea?

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 29, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan

CSN would do absolutely anything to get more Caps games on at the moment. People are going crazy for them and the ratings have been terrific. Let's face it - soccer is filler for them because the ratings are not that hot.

Without doing the math, I'd say Redskins pre-season games get about 4 billion times the ratings United draw on CSN. And they're contracted to show them. There's no conflict this August between the Skins and United, so that's a positive. As I've said before, just be glad Angelos screwed Comcast with baseball or there'd be next to no love coverage of United on CSN.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 29, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Taking back my post. Steve posted what I wanted to hear before I pushed submit. May 9 I'll be going hogwild @RFK soooo I won't worry about it.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 29, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

@Kev29: I understand the business Comcast is in, but it doesn't mean I can't think that canceling DCU matches for preseason throwball is stupid.
@alec81 the double broadcast happens with the Wizards all the time. Nice for Wizards fans living down in Raleigh perhaps, but annoyingly redundant for people living in Washington.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 29, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

To clarify:

Next Wed's away game IS on CSN

Next Saturday's home game is questionable (if the series goes that long).

The economics make sense for CSN to lean on the Caps. United ought to be a good neighbor and work with CSN to 'make room'. There's still a game late in the season that isn't televised (10/24 @KC).

Posted by: kolbkl | April 29, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

@DadRyan

When Versus and CSN can broadcast Caps games, CSN carries the game and Versus has some sort of extreme cagefighting thing. There aren't redundant broadcasts, there's a blackout of the national feed.

Posted by: kolbkl | April 29, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

DCUnitedFootball:

MLS has a contract with ABC/ESPN and Fox Soccer Channel, which means NBC, CBS and Fox cannot show the games. ABC televises only a few MLS matches each year because, frankly, there isn't enough interest in the league to warrant regular coverage (The national ratings for pro soccer are quite low). That's why almost all coverage is on cable and satellite outlets. It's not going to change anytime soon.

Posted by: Steve Goff | April 29, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Also good heads up on the lack of conflict with the Skins in August Kev29. I'm getting a lot better about not paying any attention to the NFL until their season actually starts:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | April 29, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 29, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan

Ugh - me too! The ratings that NFL pre-season and the draft get are not exactly something this country should be proud of. :-)

Posted by: Kev29 | April 29, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

kolbkl: I'm not talking about Caps games. I'm talking about Wizards games broadcast on Comcast and channel 9 at the same time. That is redundant. Or is it channel 7?;-)
Anywayz... Are ya'll still doing the march on Saturday?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 29, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan: Sorry, got lost in the thread. Like the NFL, the NBA is so far off of my radar that I never knew there was redundancy for national telecasts on any of the Mickey Mouse networks.

Last I heard, the march was pushed back to the 7th, but since that conflicts with the Caps, there was some doubt....

Posted by: kolbkl | April 29, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Sooooo, now the game with the march (May 9) gets no local coverage. Maybe some higher power really wants DCU to leave after all.

Posted by: the_slammer | April 29, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Comcast actually shows DC United games?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 29, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Jeez people yall need to relax. It's the playoffs. Support your home team. this isnt a slight against soccer or united. As a native Washingtonian who proudly supports the caps, skins, united and wizards i would be extremely pissed if there was no local coverage of any of our home teams in the playoffs.

and for those complaining about national and local coverage occurring all i got to say is that you're lucky that espn's united coverage isnt as bad as tnt or versus when it comes to the wizards and caps.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | April 29, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe we should just send Joe Doc with a digital camcorder, a laptop, and a broadband card. I'm sure one of his kids can set up a live stream of each game.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 "

My little brother's basketball team has a team in their region from Augusta (2 hours away) that is a "community" school. Everyone lives in the apartments and goes to the school and church and all, not at all a bad set up, but, they're crazy for basketball, and when they go on these types of road trips, they do exactly that. They have an account with some website, and just stream the games for the folks back home. They had something like 60 computers watching in February, which for them means at least 100 people. Really neat set up.

Chest can go as color commentator, and we could all complain about how they keep talking over all the action ;)

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 29, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Steve.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 29, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Sucks that CSN won't have the Caps for Round 2...

Posted by: sitruc | April 29, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering when we would start seeing the effects of the PG debacle. I always wondered if the charitable arm United for DC, would have become United for PG. I guess it will stay United for DC for a while.

Reston National? while it is close to me, I hate that course.

Posted by: torrey151 | April 29, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Reston? There's no Metro! And it's not in Loudoun! Arrrrggghhh (continues sitting shivah)

Posted by: JkR- | April 29, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

I've always been curious about the TV ratings. ABC says there's little interest in soccer, yet FSC, Gol, and Setanta seems to do well with steady diet of games and related shows. What's the real story?

Posted by: carnack | April 29, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

If you're not in DC, there's MLStv online; if you're in DC, shut up and go to the $#@% game. Should be a good one. Good seats are available, I assure you. If you were a network program director, and bumped playoff hockey for a DCU game, you wouldn't be a PD for long.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 29, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

ABC is supported by ad revenue; the others are supported by a combo of subscription fees and ad revenue. ABC is a US network with massive overhead; the others are global networks who do not have to support a national broadcast infrastructure. Lower costs and a much broader audience pool.

It's not about being "anti-", it's about not hemorrhaging dollars.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 29, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure FSC is supported exclusively by Proactiv.

Posted by: combedge | April 29, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

So then my question becomes to: If MLS players or soccer players wear hats/helmet, carry sticks and punch each other often or maybe carry m16 and stops every minute to air ads would more people will watch or these networks would then be interested in showing the games? Also, game extends to 3 hours from 90 minutes?

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 29, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Don't care why. The game is on TV.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 29, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball

If American soccer somehow reversed time about 120 years and made the sport as culturally important here as football/baseball/basketball, then I'm sure the major networks would be more interested. So jump in your flux capacitor equipped DeLorean - it's that easy!

Posted by: Kev29 | April 29, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Don't want to go to Big Soccer to hear what's up with "the march". It's now been moved to the 9th? Are the red patch boys going to join in? I don't want to stray from my grillin' schedule in lot 8. What's going on?

@pindarPushkin: I agree with you about supporting the local teams, we just want the coverage that's been promised with away games. Home games? I don't really care if they're on TV, I'll just go to the game.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 29, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

JacobfromAtlanta-ish:

I'll do it, on the following 2 conditions:

1. You guys pay for the flight out, and my bar tab afterward. I will pack my own paper bag lunch and not stay overnight, with respect to the economy. Once things turn around, though, I'm strictly charter flights, presidential suites, and caviar for no good reason.
2. Broadcasts will be the internet feed equivalent of TV-MA due to the casual swearing (e.g. my goal call for teams playing against DCU: "****!")

Pre-game shows will consist of a tactical preview followed by unprovoked mockery of opposing players. At halftime, there will be an interview with a random person standing nearby, tactical analysis, and complaints about the press box food (assuming any self-respecting club would let me into their press box). The post-game show would mostly consist of either confusing praise ("I don't have a daughter, but if I did, Emilio could date her and I wouldn't even do the whole 'tough dad' act.") or lengthy rants against the officials.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 29, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I think it was a bad decision to move the Golf Tournament if it was in fact done out of petulance over the collapse of this round of stadium negotiations.

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | April 29, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Goff, any word on how Tom Soehn feels about Ange N'Silu? I thought he played quite well in the Houston game. Of course, I realize that with how well Pontius, Wallace and Quaranta are playing, it'll be tough to crack the lineup.

Posted by: IrishCR | April 29, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Eric_in_Baltimore.

i don't think DCU did it 100% for spite. That tourney has always been in VA. As we know, more DCU fans come from NOVA than MD, the club has also played that Tourney at RNGC before.

I'm sure the stadium deal falling through had a little to do with it, but not that much.

Posted by: torrey151 | April 29, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

@IrishCR: Tommy must like him more than Doe.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 29, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

PindarPushkin,

Bravo. Support your local team people. I love soccer and have been associated with the sport my entire life. However, it's absolute nonsense that you can't support other sports or your not a true fan. I consider myself a fan of United, the Caps, the Redskins, and the Orioles and I love all four sports. ROCK THE RED and VAMOS UNITED!

Posted by: blackandred777 | April 29, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Orioles? I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | April 29, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I support soccer and MLS.

[Shield On]

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 29, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I'd be happy to volunteer my services as play-by-play guy. I promise it'll be somewhere between Tony Limarzi and Andres Cantor. :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 29, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I second PindarPushkin. Support your local team. If everyone would maybe the stadium issue wouldn't be such a mess.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | April 29, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Reston National, I'm playing there on Friday. Decent course, although the facilities at Old Hickory are much better.

Posted by: owendylan | April 29, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 29, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------------------

Sigh. These are the kind of people who take offense at anyone who does not genuflect at the altar of soccer, yet they do nothing but disparage other sports.

Posted by: beach3 | April 30, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse