United News & Notes

*Injury update: Ben Olsen says he is fine after taking a knock in training this week and should be available for Friday night's match against New England at RFK Stadium.

"We're excited to get back after a loss," he said. "It has been a good, short week so we haven't had to sit on it for too long. A result is important for us right now, especially at home against a scrappy New England team with a couple serious weapons. It's going to be a typical D.C.-New England match -- a lot of energy, a lot of commitment and hopefully an entertaining game."

*Reminder: The past two NCAA champions, Wake Forest and Maryland, will play an exhibition prior to the United-Revolution match. Kickoff is 4 p.m. A ticket to the MLS game gets you into the college event. Beat the traffic, come on out early. The Terps, who beat North Carolina for the national championship in December, will be honored at halftime of the United game.

*Reminder: ESPN2's coverage of the United match will begin at 7 p.m., kickoff about eight minutes later.

I will take a look at DCU striker Luciano Emilio's fast start to the season in Friday's print editions (available online late tonight).

Bonus Washington Freedom note: The club has reached a deal with Canadian goalkeeper Erin McLeod and is awaiting final visa approval. She will not be available for Saturday's home match against Boston.

By Steve Goff  |  April 16, 2009; 1:18 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Freedom
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Copa Libertadores
Next: Davies to RSL

Comments

I got my VISA approval instantly, although I'm none too happy about the interest rate.

BTW... who knocked Olsen?! Be careful, man! Careful!

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 16, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I wish my Hoos would get their act together so they could be honored at half time of a United game.

Posted by: the_slammer | April 16, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

"I am Erin McLeod of the clan McLeod. There can be only one."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 16, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Does Maryland have enough players left?

Will Wake Forest really be the Revolution in Demon Deacons' clothing?

Posted by: Reignking | April 16, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see United following through with their agreement with the Terps, even though the PG County stadium is toast.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 16, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Been watching a lot of AMC lately, huh, I-270?

I'm guessing as a kid you were a Ranger with a +3 broadsword.

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 16, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing as a kid you were a Ranger with a +3 broadsword.

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 16, 2009 1:44 PM
-----------------------------------------

Pfffh! A real ranger would never use a broadsword!

Posted by: edgeonyou | April 16, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if I can watch some of the MD-Wake game, exit the stadium, then reenter for the United game? I wanna watch the Terps, but I also want to...um, quench my thirst at the tailgate...

Posted by: CYork1 | April 16, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

She will not be available for Saturday's home match against Boston.

===========================

Good news for Kelly Smith and Kristine Lilly, sadly.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 16, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

@Cyork1 - Typically, RFK doesn't allow re-entry. I'd say no.

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | April 16, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Once the Freedom get the Canadian goalkeeper, are they going to cut Scurry? They should...

Posted by: Ron16 | April 16, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about cutting the keeper, but they could scuttle Scurry.

Posted by: WorldCup | April 16, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Is that abuse? It sure sounds Scurrylous.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 16, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Scurry certainly has a dark McLeod over her head.

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 16, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Damm you I-270Exit1! I will not let you cut her head off!

Posted by: alan19 | April 16, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

That's no ordinary broadsword; a real McLeod would use a claymore!

Posted by: b18bolo | April 16, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | April 16, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

"That's no ordinary broadsword; a real McLeod would use a claymore!"
--------------------------------------------

That's why it's +3.

Posted by: Curious99 | April 16, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ron16 | April 16, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

From your mouth to God's ears, Ron. Three soft goals and a weak leg doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the Freedom's goaltending situation.

Posted by: stwasm | April 17, 2009 7:30 AM | Report abuse

If the Terps win the exhibition, I hope their fans don't torch any cars in Lot 8.

Posted by: roadkit | April 17, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

I got an email from the Freedom front office that encouraged people to gather at Glory Days Grill in Germantown after the game on Saturday (cash bar with free munchies). Does anyone know anything about this joint?

Posted by: universityandpark | April 17, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Typical sports bar, big TVs, bad food, decent beer.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 17, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

better beer and better burgers at Red Robin, probably also more kids and not a real bar

Posted by: OWNTF | April 17, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Park next to Glory Days, but go next door to Cafe Mileto for delicious Italian food from a non-chain restaurant.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 17, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | April 17, 2009 10:30 AM

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 17, 2009 6:00 PM
__________________________________________

But the other Freedom fans will be at Glory Days Grill. If I were simply looking for good food, why would I be in Germantown in the first place, as I can find good food at plenty of places closer to home?

Posted by: universityandpark | April 18, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse