United Rewind

You have questions, we have answers.....

Did Jaime Moreno deserve a red card? Watch the video, tell us what you think.

Why did Christian Gomez leave so early in the second half?

"We are in a defending mode and we want to get some work out of there so we can actually pressure them and force them to make some mistakes," Coach Tom Soehn said. "At that point, we felt it was good to get some legs in there, some young legs, and make sure we are pressuring them and winning balls. ... He is working his way into where he needs to be. He is still very dangerous, and as we get sharper, it is going to help him out as well. There are times now where we are not finding him quick enough. He is in spots where he can hurt teams and we are not giving him the ball."

What is Moreno's status after not starting for the second time in three games?

"Jaime had two surgeries in the offseason; some guys have one and it's hard to come back," Soehn said. "He has worked very hard, but it is competitive. I told him a little while ago that when he reaches the point where he is fully fit and ready -- it's okay if it's May --we are going to use him as a role player until we feel like he can manage and do what he needs to do. Even when he got in for a little while before the red card, he holds the ball and opens the game up. His experience is so valuable to this team."

Keep reading.....

Read my match report here.

PLAYER RATINGS
Crayton 6; Namoff 7, Jakovic 6, Burch 6; Pontius 6, Simms 6, Olsen 6, Gomez 5, Wallace 5; N'Silu 6, Emilio 7. Subs: Fred 6, Moreno 4, Janicki 6.

Attendance: 12,594.
Last Week: 15,895.
2008 Average: 19,835.

By Steve Goff  |  April 5, 2009; 12:51 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchnight #3: United-Dynamo
Next: United Editorial

Comments

Nice to get a win.

Posted by: Curious99 | April 5, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

yer a stick in the mud at times goff, but I guess this is yer own show eh? we have the best time at our tailgate in MLS, doesn't that amount to anything? Know what I was talking about at mine?
try and guess.
will we get more of your support if we fill the crap hole next time you might decide to show up? Awfully late with the match night thread don't you think? Must be the tough economic times....Funny that you are so critical, yet you are seem troubled to even show up.
fluff off dude. Sorry basketball is ending...

Posted by: DadRyan | April 5, 2009 1:12 AM | Report abuse

sorry goff, you bum me out with your negative tude some times.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 5, 2009 1:15 AM | Report abuse

The attendance is a major concern. I expressed thoughts a few weeks ago that the stadium issue might affect attendance. I am seriously hoping I was wrong about that right now. I don't know what is going through the minds of the United fan base but this much I am extremely confident about. This is absolutely the worst possible time for the fans to stay away. I know the economy sucks, the stadium news sucks, and last season sucked but this franchise desperately needs its fans to come back and come back strong. It is important on so many levels.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 5, 2009 1:16 AM | Report abuse

It was a dumb tackle on Jaime's part, but I'm not convinced that's a straight red. If he truly wanted to hurt the guy, he could have. I think a yellow was more fitting. If it was a fast break and he was the last defender, than yeah I'd agree with a red. But a middle of the field tackle? Pretty weak.

Posted by: doh1 | April 5, 2009 1:17 AM | Report abuse

I always enjoy your contributions, DadRyan, but.....

Only 12,000 show up and I'm a stick in the mud? Huh?

My support? I'm not here to provide support.

Awfully late? I always do the recap after getting home. Sorry if I drive the speed limit.

Troubled to even show up? Basketball? Fluff off? What are you talking about???

Posted by: Steve Goff | April 5, 2009 1:19 AM | Report abuse

and by the way, this was one of those games that made you really realize how freaking physical MLS can be. Dynamo are brutes. DCU returned the favor and we won. This league is tough, our win tonight counts for something for sure.. MLS ain't no joke Stevey!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 5, 2009 1:21 AM | Report abuse

Well Goff talking about attendance, I'll repeat here my comment to your article for the POST:

Well if the CSC guys keep on treating fans like garbage 12,000 per game is actually a good number...I know that after tonight I will think twice before taking my family back to a DCU game. If they want to market this game to families, they better think again.
As I was getting through the gate with my wife and two kids, a CSC supervisor came up to me and told me that this year backpacks are no longer allowed and that I was supposed to walk all the way back to my car and drop it. This after my backpack had already been searched by another CSC guy who had let me get through...With two small kids, I need to bring in a change of clothes for spills, some water, wipes...well if I cannot bring a backpack in, I am not taking my family either. So next time instead of 4 tickets I am only buying one...good job at marketing the game!

Posted by: malatestiano | April 5, 2009 1:23 AM | Report abuse

Steve-frustration can cloud judgement sometimes.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 5, 2009 1:27 AM | Report abuse

Late match night thread in my opinion Goff.
I know it's not your bag to provide support, I tend to bring this up to make sure everyone is clear on the razor sharp difference between you and Ives. You aren't a fan Steve, and although you normally give an awfully fair account of things, couldn't you possibly, for United's fan's sake tonight talk about all the FACTors, that might have drawn fans away from RFK tonight? Chuch Brown? I know you already did dude, but come on man, help us out a bit.

As I've said before, I know you really wanna work at Whole Foods, but it;s hardly fair to lay out why we're not gonna draw and then go an jone on us for not drawing!
I went to the stupid cherry blossom BS today, and went to the soccer game! where's your figure for that!?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 5, 2009 1:28 AM | Report abuse

malatestiano,

I understand your frustration about the backpacks but that decision almost certainly a security precaution.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 5, 2009 1:30 AM | Report abuse

quit kissing butt CPost. there's no cloud here. Us United fans who showed deserve a little more respect. jerkoffs, parking in our lots to watch their games should be grateful for our hospitality eh?
Good night.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 5, 2009 1:32 AM | Report abuse

Malatestiano:

Thanks for sharing your stadium story.

You should definitely contact United and tell them how you were treated. United is not CSC's supervisor -- the sports commission is -- but the club certainly has a say in things. At a time when United can scarcely afford to lose fans, your experience needs to be addressed.

Vice president Stephen Zack is at szack@dcunited.com

Posted by: Steve Goff | April 5, 2009 1:33 AM | Report abuse

Dadryan,

My family attended as well. I'm not sure what you are talking about in reference to the parking lot.

I wasn't kissing up. I have seen enough of your posts to know that you are a very passionate United fan but Steve isn't the enemy. In fact he is one of the most passionate soccer writers in the country. Why are you so on his case tonight?

Posted by: croftonpost | April 5, 2009 1:37 AM | Report abuse

malestiano: I'm positive the club would love to hear about the problems you had this evening. Wouldn't be baffled if they comp you some tix due to your problems. Back packs up to a certain size are clearly allowed. This isn't a plane taking off, it's a rotting pile of crap stadium. Baby's need diaper bags wether their pink and frilly or black and grimy. Dad's can change diapers too! Lame. Call the FO! They'll listen.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 5, 2009 1:38 AM | Report abuse

croftonpost,

A)I never had a problem taking my backpack to RFK until today.

B) if they really have security concerns the should give some notice before I actually show up at the gate...

C)If it was really a new policy, why the first 2 guys just searched the backpack and let me go through? Are these guys just making up rules on the go?

Posted by: malatestiano | April 5, 2009 1:38 AM | Report abuse

Good night, DadRyan.

I hope you'll return to our little family in a better mood than when you left.

I WANT to work at Whole Foods? Really? To get a discount on the terribly overpriced produce? Do explain.

Posted by: Steve Goff | April 5, 2009 1:39 AM | Report abuse

I will email Mr. Zack.

Posted by: malatestiano | April 5, 2009 1:40 AM | Report abuse

malatestiano,

My bad. If this wasn't universal then I don't understand what they were doing.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 5, 2009 1:40 AM | Report abuse

Steve's far from the enemy CP. Just stating how I feel about how journalists paint the picture on their blogs about what's going on in sports on any given night in DC. Most of us went to the game hoping for a better turn out... The last thing we really needed is to have our "poor attendance" shoved in our own face when we were already all there...

Posted by: DadRyan | April 5, 2009 1:46 AM | Report abuse

come on steve, you were the one who "joked' about working at whole foods right????

Posted by: DadRyan | April 5, 2009 1:49 AM | Report abuse

----------------------------------------
No United, no soccer beat.

I've always wanted to work at Whole Foods.

I may get my wish.
Posted by: Steve Goff | March 10, 2009 9:09 PM

Posted by: DadRyan | April 5, 2009 1:58 AM | Report abuse

To tell the truth, I had no idea the crowd was that small. I'm usually not so far off but I thought there was somewhere in the ballpark of 17,000 there. Man am I a moron.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 5, 2009 1:59 AM | Report abuse

Man, United wins and we get a Insider Throwdown between D and SG . . .

"Lighten up, Francis."

"Don't call me Francis"

Re: Attendance . . . it is what it is. Soccer's an ugly stepchild in the U.S. I don't care. I have fun. Vamos, Vamos United . . . Esta noche tenemos que ganar . . .

Posted by: delantero | April 5, 2009 2:02 AM | Report abuse

delantero,

You made me laugh. Although I love it, I haven't thought of that movie in years.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 5, 2009 2:06 AM | Report abuse

DadRyan, I'm not sure why you expect a journalist to be a cheerleader. If attendance is down, that's what he reports. If it's up, that's what he would report. Try not to take it personally- noting the attendance numbers does not equate to attacking those fans who bother to show up. And off course attendance numbers are more relevant than ever at a time when the club is trying to draw support for a stadium deal. But it's not Goff's job to act as their PR guy. Ok, end of rant.

So, an unheralded DCU squad is undefeated despite missing several important players. I know dropping points to LA was frustrating, but Chicago and Houston aren't pushovers. It's not much to celebrate, but frankly this is a slightly better start to the season than I expected. I still expect making the playoffs to be a challenge, but United might not be quite the afterthought that many MLS observers predicted this season.

Posted by: ricky_b | April 5, 2009 2:07 AM | Report abuse

Er, that should read "of course attendance numbers..." but I suppose you could say the numbers are off-course too, unfortunately...

Posted by: ricky_b | April 5, 2009 2:11 AM | Report abuse

Re: The game.

Tale of two halves. First was watching Simms, Gomez and Olsen get owned by Holden, Clarke and Davis. Very little possession for United. Some poor services on behalf of the Dynamo.

Not to mention some thuggish play by the Dynamo . . without hardly a peep from the slicked up, greasey haired ref . . . we were fortunate to be 0-0 at half.

Fortune then smiles on us by the fault of an ex United player who was traded because he was inconsistent and occasionally made boneheaded plays . . . only to see us slug it out until the finish with what should have been a yellow carded Jaimito watching from the locker . .

Posted by: delantero | April 5, 2009 2:11 AM | Report abuse

Is it me or did the Dynamo play much more physically tonight than usual.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 5, 2009 2:13 AM | Report abuse

delantero,

Obviously you agree with me. What was up with that? The tackle on Ben was bordering on criminal.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 5, 2009 2:16 AM | Report abuse

So in three games . . with two rookies starting, a rotating door at goalie, central defense and 2nd forward . . I'll take 5 points to the bank . . . . and 2nd in the East!!!

Posted by: delantero | April 5, 2009 2:18 AM | Report abuse

didn't see the whole game, but watching the highlight of Jaime's tackle, i have no problem with the straight red. tackle from behind and he was nowhere near the ball. just a dumb play on his part.

as for the DR/SG grudge match, i think maybe DR had a few beers tonight? just a guess.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | April 5, 2009 2:30 AM | Report abuse

Don't you losers have anything better to do on a Saturday night? . . . Me neither.

Posted by: notafembot | April 5, 2009 2:31 AM | Report abuse

also, Nate Jaqua is a player. he's looked great so far this season, and that pass to Ljungberg on his goal tonight was fantastic.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | April 5, 2009 2:34 AM | Report abuse

I thought it was an awful red card at the game. I thought it deserved a yellow, but not a red; and was particularly frustrated that similar-looking fouls to me got no card at all in the first half, while that one drew a red in the second.

Then, I got home and watched it on the DVR, and said "that's a red card."

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | April 5, 2009 2:43 AM | Report abuse

And here I though dadryan's intoxicant of choice was supposed to mellow you out?

Guys, attendance is down for everyone, in every sport. The wizards are way down, the caps are only up because of the run they're on. Expect the nats to be down and even the skins. Welcome to the economy.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | April 5, 2009 3:43 AM | Report abuse

Cmon, the Skins have sold out for forty plus years. Their attendance is capacity. However, I hear you and agree with you to a certain extent as noted above (economy sucks). The problem is the vultures will use it against the team anyway. They won't view it as the economy, they will view it as a barometer of the sport's fragile popularity in our area.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 5, 2009 4:49 AM | Report abuse

I was there, I saw Moreno's tackle, and as he did it I went, "No no no no NO!!!" because it looked like a cardable offense even from the SE section.

And as much as I admire Jaime, nobody's perfect, we're all human, and he showed that tonight.

It was good to get the win. Now here's my question:

If, according to Goff's story, the team switched to a 4-4-1 formation after Jaime was sent off, and if that formation helped prevent a goal and preserve the win, then WHY doesn't DCU adopt the 4-4-2 formation when it's at full strength?

Posted by: Juan-John | April 5, 2009 5:21 AM | Report abuse

Oh and Goff: you don't need to defend yourself to ANYONE, ok? Keep up the good work!

Posted by: Juan-John | April 5, 2009 5:29 AM | Report abuse

Whoops -- It wasn't Goff, it was Chuckie Boehm:

Posted by: Juan-John | April 5, 2009 5:47 AM | Report abuse

United is old and boring to watch -> that is why attendance is down. Poor treatment by CSC does not help.

They really need an infusion of youth and excitement.

Anyone watch the Sounders game? Now that was good game.

Posted by: bobfairchild1 | April 5, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Ultimately, whether DCU stays or goes won't have anything to do with one night's attendance. New stadium equals profit, no new stadium equals St. Louis United.

Posted by: evwill | April 5, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

1) DadRyan you owe Goff and everyone who read your diatribe an apology. I read Soccer Insider to follow my team and get the insights of others about them, not to read the crazy rants of someone attacking one of the finest soccer reporters in the country who diligently adds posts when he is on assignment for other events and even when he is on vacation. Goff is a REPORTER and he does a great job. Low attendance is a completely legit thing to mention in a story. Its an important concern for United and the league as a whole. Complaining that the thread did not start early enough to suite your liking is silly.

2) Attendance is down this year many reasons but to blame it on the stadium situation is really a stretch. RFK is not that different this year then last but attendance certainly is. It has more to do with the fact that DCU was awful last year and the economy. Folks have less disposable income. People are eating out less and sporting events attendance is down for almost everyone. DCU could probably be a lot more creative and aggressive in its marketing. Ensuring that it is a family friendly venue is a good start.

Posted by: nyjer1 | April 5, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

"Cmon, the Skins have sold out for forty plus years. Their attendance is capacity."
--------

No, it isn't. Their ticket "sales" are capaciy, not the attendance. Not even close.

And how would you explain the Redskins sending me "Congrats, you can now buy season tickets" notices two years in a row? Or me getting repeated phone calls from Redskins ticket sales people? I told them last year that I was no longer interested (after being on their list for years).

The Skins' waiting list was a mirage even before the economy tanked. Danny Boy is slowly but sure killing the golden goose.

Point being...sports attendance is the definition of discretionary spending. Of course most teams are down in all sports.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | April 5, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

nyjer1 wrote: "DadRyan, you owe Goff and everyone who read your diatribe an apology."

-------

Agreed. What a bunch of whiny BS.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | April 5, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Wow...one of the more interesting threads in quite some time.

I think Goff does a great job both in his writing and on the site. This is the only place to get timely and in-depth news on United so I frequent it often. Pointing out the attendance is part of doing an objective job - particularly with the stadium issue looming. Like Goff's player ratings and match review.

That being said, I find that there is an arrogance amongst many of the posters on this blog - an elitism that keeps most involved trying to confine this site to a small group of "insiders". Because of that, I (and many others) find Ives to be a much more enjoyable experience for just being a soccer fan, keeping up on everything that is happening and being able blog without being attacked. So, I think that DadRyan has some points but I don't think it should be just a "Goff" attack.

Posted by: Beckster1 | April 5, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

The United is having attendence problems for two reasons. First, missing the playoffs last year really hurts, as shown by the Caps and Wizards, the fans follow whoever's winning at the moment. Second, they need a more family friendly experience, I had the wife and kids loaded in the car and suggested heading to RFK, but was overruled because of Teddy and the whole Nats kids zone. My buddies went to the United game without their families so they could act like DC hooligans for the night. (At least the United outdrew the Nats v. Os game.)

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | April 5, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I know why attendance is down. People think it's a rip off to play FIFTEEN DOLLARS to park at RFK. It was $12 last year and $10 the year before that (if memory serves). What exactly has improved at RFK to warrant a $3 increase in parking fees?

Posted by: leafblower | April 5, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I realize the actual attendance is tickets sold but with the possible exception of the Wizards this year, who reportedly are comping a lot of tickets, that is true for all teams. I'm not disagreeing about any of the Redskins scenarios above but the fact of the matter is the tickets are sold and that is the number that is reported. Last nights number for United wasn't butts in seats, it was tickets sold. If you want to criticize the Redskins for that then you need to criticize everyone for that.

Secondly, I frequently read on this blog a discounting of what is going on with the Capitals. As a die hard fan of the Caps as well as United there is a lot more to the Caps success at the gate than recent wins. There are easily the best run franchise in our area now. United is a distant second. They have the best player in the world playing for them and he is only 23. He is also the most dynamic player in hockey today. His enthusiasm is infectious and it rubs off on his teammates as well as the fans. He already has reached Ripken, Green, Unseld, Riggins, Jurgensen, etc. heights in our area with respect to the adoration of the fans. Lastly, the talent on the team is extremely deep and very young. Besides Ovechkin they have three other legitimate young superstars (Green, Backstrom, and Semin) and their farm system is loaded. They are going to be good for the better part of the next 10-12 years and the fan base knows this and anticipates this.

As far as the attendance is concerned, the debate as to why can rage on but in the end it is irrelevant. We need butts in seats and we need it desperately. The other teams in our area aren't in the same precarious position United is.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 5, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

As a former referee, I give Moreno a yellow. His tackle lacked the violence needed for a red. He made the tackle with his legs, not his studs. Either way, it was a dumb play.

Posted by: runningcloud | April 5, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Hope DadRyan has a massive hangover this morning. His comments are completely off base as others have pointed out.

I am on vacation in FLA and was shocked to see the attendance figures when I checked the game result. Like it or not, this is a major story line. Any decent reporter covering a team would point this out and we all know Goff is the best at what he does. This is a major problem for a club with stadium issues and two owners who bought the team as a real estate investment and who may lose patience eventually waiting for their investment to pay off.

Posted by: DCUfan1 | April 5, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Attendance is down because United are not that good anymore. This town is all about winners. If you win, people come. United has been on a steady decline since the 2006 season. They have relied on older injured veterans for so many years that they neglected to infuse youth into the team. As a result, the talent level dropped, and the rest of the league caught up to us. The team still has not recovered from Ryan Nelsen's departure. And that was like 4 years ago. The fact the front office has continued to neglect the defense, and infuse youth makes me think that they don't care about putting a good product on the field. I think last season showed how poor the front office has been over the past couple of seasons. The front office needs to be held accountable for the state of the team.

Posted by: RedskinAddict | April 5, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

pish posh, attendance in MLS always takes a few weeks to get into the swing...and times are tight anyway.

Goff, let me give you the quote Soehn won't, "yeah well, Christian and Jaime are getting up in years, they don't have 90 minutes in them most weeks, plus we finally have some youn guys we can pllug in their and maintain a minimum level of effectiveness...so we're gonna limit their minutes and see if they can be effective in October."

There, that's better than it will be to watch that awkward dance between you two week in and week out.

Posted by: teo_68 | April 5, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

"Dadryan" must be an imposter. I think the real Dadryan is being held hostage...

I was surprised that they announced Crayton as the Man of the match at the Stadium. While he was fine all night, I thought namoff clearly stood out as the differnce maker in the game. Assisted on the only goal, cleared one off the line and was all over the back. Inspirational performance.

I'm liking Jakovic. He was in Ching's business...

Posted by: JkR- | April 5, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Attendance - let's have this talk in June/July and then see if there's an issue. Might be, but it's too early to say.

I liked what N'Silu brought to the front. Not sure he and Emilio played off each other that well, yet, but...

Jakovic needs to get acclimated to this league and fast, or get someone else back in the middle. He's casual with the ball like he's playing in a non-pressing league. For what MLS lacks in skill, they make up for it pressure. You'd think after a few flubs he'd start getting rid of the ball sooner.

Midfield was playing a lot of nice one touch, but still seemed to get shut down a lot by Houston's mids. Anyone care to explain? Just clogging the center? Shutting down Gomez? I couldn't figure out why we didn't get forward more that way.

Last year there didn't seem to be much promise in the team play, so even though we don't look amazing just yet, I like the look of what's brewing.

Posted by: eadc | April 5, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

"Attendance is down because United are not that good anymore."

Anyone paying attention last night would have to agree that the quality of the soccer was very poor on both sides of the ball. For now, I'll chalk it up to the fact that it's early in the season. But it needs to improve. Like several others here, I have to wonder if this team has championship talent. People in DC know soccer well enough to know good soccer from mediocre soccer. The team needs to put a good product on the field to get butts in the seats. I'll give them time, but others may not.

Posted by: mrchuckles | April 5, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Jaime should have received a yellow, but it is understandable that the ref decided to give a red after watching the video.

Re attendance. Does DC hate us? First, there is a huge barrier at the end of the walkway from the metro to the stadium. Yes, my legs are long enough to literally hop over, but its annoying. Second, I (and several other hundred people) had to wait over 20 minutes for a train last night. To add insult to injury, metro had a completely empty 8 car orange line train pass through the station after we'd already been waiting over 15 minutes or so. I wasn't thrilled about DCU moving to PG County, but I'm slowly changing my mind as we are treated as second class citizens.

Posted by: rose_orby | April 5, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Whether United is playing good soccer or losing 5 nil every game, we need to be at the games if we ever want a stadium of our own.
Maryland certainly isnt going to throw a stadium at us if we're only bringing in 13000 fans a night...

Posted by: amgrover | April 5, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

The word "attendence" as used in sports is one the bigger lies that sports team commit, and DCU is no different. Outside of sports, the word means those who attend. At DCU and other sports teams, the word has a different meaning: number of all tickets distributed, and all means all: comps (including players and staff), sponsor tickets, VIPs in KP's box, etc. Any ticket, paid for at full price, discounted or free, that is distributed by the club, whether it is used or not, is counted as attendence, so it's a very misleading figure.

Posted by: lgm6986 | April 5, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

DadRyan, et. all,

Remember, Goff ISN'T ALLOWED TO BE A FAN!!! As a reporter, you have to be neutral. It is not Goff's job to be the United cheerleader, it is his job to report about the game. If United would like to get more people, it is their job to advertise for their own team! I'm not saying that Goff is perfect, but he is doing a great job!

Posted by: pmtthree | April 5, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Two games is hardly statistically significant in attendance. I'm with DadRyan on this one. Goff is trying to poke holes in the Maryland study's claim that the club would average 'X' amount of fans per game. The team sucked last year so I would expect things to go down a bit. Was Goff blogging about increased attendance last year?

Posted by: mbyrd28 | April 5, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

If anyone has a Real problem with Goff's attendance report, buy tickets to every game. Get your friends to come. Focus on what you can do. If we really don't want to know what our problems are... oh, wait, that's been every year since we Won the goddamn cup.

As far as the play goes, or how good United is anymore, this might be a transition year. Between really weak and stretched to being solid, unspectactular, yet fairly effective. Which would you rather have?

DC United will survive. That's one good thing about the MLS, it survives. We'll make it through this.

But until we do, let's have some more positive posts after a win.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 5, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Well I have a few friends who would have gone but stayed home to watch the final four. I doubt they were the only ones to do that...

I second the need to wait a little bit on the attendence debate.

Posted by: laur84 | April 5, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

It was a bad tackle, although it would have a yellow since it was his first fault and didn't look two footed stud up tackle. The more knowledgeable ref would just give a yellow.
Attendance, I am not so worrying given a lot of factors surrounding.
Quality of the play, I agree with few posters that United has tarnished its beautiful soccer everyone used to admired and now become the very average team.
I really think the marketing team is doing a terrible job promoting the games and attracting people.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 5, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Whooa, bad karmic influences on de blog today, like a hangover from last season.

Very tense game to watch. Classic Emilio goal. Superb defending down a man; good, disciplined play preventing counterattacks. Quality, promising young players on the field. I dunno, I had a good time. We are off to our best start in a while, no? The economy stinks; DCU does not.

Posted by: dccal | April 5, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

The attendance numbers are a legit news item. Notice the Nats and Os drew an "announced" 11,000+ last night -- the first time any baseball fan could see the Nats in person. The bottom line is the economy is in the tank Francis and disposable income to go to sporting events is way down. Let's see how the Nats do this summer as well. My guess is that attendance at MLB and MLS will be down significantly all year.

I remember a similar experience with the NASL during the "Reagan Recession" in 1981-82. The attendance in NY dropped as the economy worsened as well. Sports is entertainment and you make the house payment before you drop money to watch guys kick a ball around. I'm just blessed that I can afford season tickets.

Posted by: griffin1108 | April 5, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

12k sucks.

Posted by: Reignking | April 5, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I have a little experience with CSC, because I worked for them over the summer one year in Miami, so let me explain from the perspective of someone who worked for these guys...

The CSC guys have no clue about any of the rules at the front gates. You get a call to work, say, the DC United game on Saturday. Show up at 5:00. Wear black pants and a white shirt.

You get there. They tell you you're working tickets. They give you a jacket, or a shirt, or whatever and you go to your station.

There is no briefing on what the stadium rules are, what the particular club rules are etc. I'm sure the actual security guys are a little more knowledgeable on the rules, but the people at the gates are just bodies.

12,000 for an early season game when the Nats are playing, a brand new indoor football team is playing and the cherry blossom festival is going on doesn't seem horrible. Would have liked to have seen 15,000. But then, didn't we get something like 35k when Beckham showed up last year, which would raise average attendence a bit? We'll see how the figures are this year when he comes in August.

Posted by: mercurysnake77 | April 5, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

FYI. The attendance issues are not unique to DC United, they appear to be league-wide (except Seattle and Toronto).

Here is my post on the situation http://keepinitrealsl.blogspot.com/2009/04/home-opener-attendance-figures.html

Posted by: realslfan | April 5, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Well - -I watched Jaime get dispossessed on side and end of the field -- then chase after the ball back into the United end and across the pitch -- chasing the Dynamo player down and finally chopping him down from behind.

There was no doubt as Jaime was going into the tackle that a card would issue I was surprised to see a straight red, though - as it was not especially dangerous or hard. However, a strict interpretation of the rules does call for a red card there. It is just so rarely given.

I was more interested in the decision to pull Gomez at 56+ minutes. I wonder what this may say about his role. He had just given up the ball with a weak pass, but I think Tommy already was going to pull him. He certainly was not very effective.

Jakovic had an interesting game. He nearly got burned several times with careless play. I was thinking he was Peralta redux, but did seem to step up his level near the end of the first half.

Pontius was looking like the most dangerous player for DCU, tough his finishing needs to get better. He had a marvelous service late in the 1st half for Wallace, I believe. All-in-all, I thought he was the best attacking player for United. I wonder how Tommy will work Pontius and Quaranta into the lineup together. With Jaime out for the next game, it will be easy to slide Pontius up front, but in the future.

Posted by: fischy | April 5, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I won't apologize to readers of the blog, I will however admit I was a little ripped, and was a little harsh toward Steve in my first post in this thread. I apologize for that. Goff came back strong, but also misread what I wrote.
I was a little sad to see the match night thread to come out(it wasn't posted until 5:05pm). Which was after I had left the house. That was my gripe, no biggie. You've got to admit it was awfully quiet on here yesterday afternoon... Again I realize it's not Goff's job to get us riled up to go to the game, and hey the guy was probably busy, or stuck in traffic right?

Underneath all of this, I was really stewing because of this:
I donated a bag full of stuff to United Drives before buying my ticket.
I went to will call and presented my buy one/get one free ticket voucher, and asked to sit somewhere on the quiet side. The dude hooked it up or so I thought. My seats were dead in the middle of a gaggle of Dynamo fans! Which was ok for a little while as the seats were ok. Most of the trash talk was good natured, and pretty tame, until Jaime came in and got his red card. That's when the ,"why do these Mexicans play so dirty?" cam out of this one girls mouth.... I then chriped back, "dude, he's Bolivian!" Then the gal whips her head around and slurs," they are ALL Mexicans!" I then said," wow!, that's the most racist thing I've ever heard in this stadium lately!" Unbelievable!

Then one of the drunk chicks stood up on her seat and tried to climb over the row of seats between us to presumably scratch my eyes out, but luckily her big boyfriend grabbed her. Was there any security around to intervene? Of course not. Anyway, we held our ground and luckily United hung on for the win, my buddy and I were ready for what ever, but luckily the guys in the group of Dynamo fans were more level headed than their dates...
Anyway, I won't say it spoiled the game for me, but it certainly put me in a fighting mood.
Sorry for the long explanation, but I hope it maybe helps my case in being forgiven for being such a volatile jerk last night.

Steve, you always to a great job of covering the team. I was just a little bummed that the attendance was that low... The atmosphere was pretty good in my opinion, and the crowd didn't feel anywhere near that small... Maybe the Barra and SE's had stuffed their shirts or something?;-) I also like the pregame thread to come out a little earlier so we can talk lineups and such before heading out the door. I guess I'm just a little spoiled reading the bestest soccer blog out there.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 5, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Wow. A 17 year old who was seeing his first action for Manchester United just schooled the defender in the 93rd minute with a crafty back heel and then a curling shot into the far corner of the goal that Friedel could not reach. 17 years old, playing for ManUtd, scoring the winning goal, and an 18 year old on the other side. Freddy Adu would not sniff their lineup.

Posted by: fischy | April 5, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Jaime's foul was ruled correctly; a reckless tackle from behind with no chance at the ball. Unfortunately the ref wasn't at all consistent last night; and if he is going to throw the straight red, he should have had a handful of yellows for the dynamo. I thought there was a lot of tugging and "momentum" fouls that went uncalled and really disrupted our game.

As for attendance, it is a little disconcerting but the jury isn't out yet. Let's see what happens when we aren't up against the final four and downtown isn't a cherry blossom parking lot. Also, you can place some of the blame on me, as a resident of Richmond now my attendance of games will be few and far between :(

Anyone watch the broadcast last night? I understand it's Houston focused and financed, but that bias shouldn't effect the calling of the actual game. I lost count of how many times the play-by-play guy called 50-50 balls for houston that ended up in DC's possession. Let the game play out and call the facts! I would have been happy with "it's a footrace to the ball" or "they're contesting for possession." Instead every loose ball in our box was for houston until it was cleared. It's troubling to watch a game were you see one thing and audibly are told the opposite.

Good win, glad to see crayton between the pipes.

Vamos!

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | April 5, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I was really surprised when Jaime got the red card. It was a poor tackle, yes, but it was a yellow card. Sure he didn't get the ball, but he didn't go studs up and it wasn't as bad as the ref saw.

Question: Is he suspended for one game or two? In other places straight reds are 2 game suspensions.

As always, thanks Goff for your contributions. Vamos United!

Posted by: Konoha7 | April 5, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Goff, what's your view on Jaime's ejection?

Posted by: Konoha7 | April 5, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone see the U-16 game between DC's Academy and Real Madrid? It was pretty good. For DC United, 3 players stood out for my husband and I #9 N'Silu (he was a breath of fresh air on a slow forward line), #13 Pontis (he is a good hardnosed midfielder), and #22 Rodney Wallace (he really has moves when going forward). All played well. We really do better with a 3-5-2 formation. #9 blew us away. We should be in nice shape. Oh, #5 had a good game too.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | April 5, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

On the food side. Do we share vendors with the Nationals? We came for the Real Madrid game and had to wait until part way thru DC to get a cold drink. Remember the small carry alls with DC United all over them given out free a year or two back? The girl at the entrance told my husband he would have to leave his backpack. We pointed out that we got it there at the stadium and it wasn't a backpack and went on in with it. They don't seem to be able to determine just what constitutes what they are told to watch for. Make them tell you just why your item is not allowed.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | April 5, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Soehn's clock killing ability needed some work. Where's the injury time sub?

Crayton's awesome. He forced the Dynamo to run at him for through balls on every possible occasion and then would dive onto it. He palmed one of the balls off the ground too! Then he would give the Dynamo player who was forced to chase him down a big smile . . . which got them so ticked by the end of the match . .

Posted by: delantero | April 5, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

those carne asada's are delicious...

Posted by: abgcunited11 | April 5, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Valencia spanking getafe...they are in the CL slots...if they are still around next year.

Posted by: Reignking | April 5, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | April 5, 2009 8:42 AM

The tactic of marketing to soccer moms is a tried and failed one. DC United was the first MLS team to recognize that their efforts should be towards young adults and now nearly every other team in the league is following their lead.

Posted by: FAkeemail9875 | April 5, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

The United need to market to anyone they can get to fill their stadium. Having a loud side and a family friendly side is a great idea, it's just that the family side seems to be forgotten by their marketing department. I love going to the United games with my buddies, tailgating and getting loud. I've never taken my kids to a game.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | April 5, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts, in no particular order:

1) DCU's soccer these days is above average, but not by much if average is defined as typical MLS fare. Getting more people healthy should help.

2) Attendance is down b/c of competion from other events (such as the final 4) and the economy. This likely will be a down year for MLS attendance.

3) Goff, keep doing what you are doing. Rantings from an inebriated, adolescent-minded crackhead with a double-digit IQ are worth nothing save possibly getting certain individual(s) banned from your board.

Posted by: Ron16 | April 5, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

We the fans show up in good numbers for more than a decade and no stadium, Now a couple bad nites to start the season and it's on us to deliver to get that new stadium. The only reason we have no stadium is the DC gov. is clueless and Fentys' ego gets in the way.

Vamos United!!
Vamos Barra Brava!!

Posted by: zosodave | April 5, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Forgot to mention, though I'd rather pay less for parking, I don't have much of a problem paying $15.00 to park at RFK. Just do the math:

Taking the metro to rfk from Vienna:

fare of $4.70 X 8 ( myself plus 7 of my kids), appx $35.00 right there. Even if just 4 of us go, already I'm paying more than the $15.00 for the parking.

Add to that the fact that the train takes FOREVER compared to driving, and paying the parking fee at RFK becomes a lot more palatable.

Posted by: Ron16 | April 5, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

@Ron16: You talking to me?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 5, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features...

Reason to ban me Ron? I'd have to say that calling me a crackhead could be considered a personal attack, but what would I know? I've got a double digit IQ...

Posted by: DadRyan | April 5, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I for one appreciate DadRyan's explanation. He is a regular contributer to the discussion and I usually enjoy reading and learning from his comments (even if I do not always agree with them). I just hope that in the future he does not take his frustration out, as warranted as it may be, on Goff. That said his comments certainly where not a Red card offense and suggestions that he be suspended from this site are a bit absurd, but its sounds like DadRyan realizes it did get him a Yellow.

I know that the stadium issue is frustrating for DCU fan's. But stadium financing is a complex issue and both sides have not been able to agree on a fair financing plan. In a time of economic recession and municipal/county/state governments slashing budgets its really hard to argue that its an appropriate government expense. If structured the right way, targeted investment in infrastructure improvements can make sense as a part of an economic development strategy but in our appropriate fan support of DCU lets not lose sight of bigger picture and the importance in these times funding basic health care, education, and food.

Posted by: nyjer1 | April 5, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

I have to say even with a win the attendance figure really has dragged me down this weekend. I feel for DAdryan, not sure if its the stadium, or anything but we (UNITED) have not drawn such bad crowds since 96-97 seasons. The thing that is scary is that its our first 2 home games on a saturday. What will happen on friday wed games, how about sunday at 3? It just feels to me that its going to get worse. The owners of the team should have realized how big of an effect the economy would have on the team. Maybe then they would have realized that raising ticket and parking prices was wrong. In fact reducing ticket prices would have helped a bit. Look at the whole league (except toronto and seattle) everyone is struggling, yet none as bad as united, because the owners said screw the fans 1st they want us to go out and campaign for there economic package (all we want is a stadium, let the throwball fans have big screens etc). Then they increase our season tickets and parking, for what??? to pay for Gallardo?

Houstons stadium is going to cost 85million
Why would ours cost 295 million????

WE are Futbol fans, we are not there for the food or drinks (we can bring our own if needed). we are not there for the luxury seats, the big sreen TV's the cushion seats. WE are there to be the 12th man for our beloved team. We don't have our jobs comp us tickets, we don't go to games to eat dinner during the game. This is Futbol dammit, lets not turn this team into a corporate party, if that happens then it will kill the 1 reason this game is bigger than the rest.

PASSION!!!

Posted by: Norteno4life | April 5, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

One way or the other, I suspect that that tackle will end up in USSF's Referee week in review column. It's a good read for fans, players and coaches and damn near a required read for those of us who find ourselves on a soccer pitch holding a whistle.

To me, it's a straight red. Far, far too late, from behind, and two legged to boot. That it wasn't studs up might save him some money in fines.

As a player, getting fouled like that pissed me off more than anything. One moment you're running. The next you're being pushed forward by your calves and your feet have been pinned down.

Posted by: mason08 | April 5, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Multiple posts coming. Router trouble all weekend.

bobfairchild1:

"They really need an infusion of youth and excitement."

Really?

Rookies Pontius (21), Wallace (21), Kocic (23).
MLS debutants Jakovic (23), N'Silu (23), and Jacobson (23).
2nd year MLSers Janicki (24), DiRaimondo (22),
Young vets Doe (23) and Quaranta (24).

I think the team is plenty young. In fact, much more youth and we'd be talking about the team being too inexperienced.

Juan-John:

Why don't we play 442? Two words: Ben Olsen.

Olsen may or may not have the legs to play wide in any formation. If we go 442, there's nowhere to play him, unless you bench Gomez (and field a more defensive midfield than we usually do). At this point, Olsen is one of the major factors in our respectable start, so I think the 3412 will stick around for a bit.

JkR:

I'm with you on Namoff. He's been great in each game thus far. Crayton's saves were on shots right at him, and he made a couple small mistakes that went unpunished. I guarantee that if Namoff didn't clear that Clark shot off the line, this thread's theme would be "Crayton is as bad as Wells", not DadRyan's opinion on certain aspects of SG's blogging.

***

Speaking of SG's blogging, I think ultimately it's better to have him as a non-fan who wears it on his sleeve a bit. Since Ives was used as a contrast, I'll try that:

Ives is clearly a fan of the Red Bulls. He also gets a bit too much into the tactical stuff that he doesn't appear to know much about (one random example that sticks in my head: suggesting a 3 man NY midfield of Richards, Stammler, and Smith). Furthermore, he has become an almost comical overhyper of Toronto, in what is either a bad misreading of their overall talent or an attempt to bring in their fans. If it's the latter, I can't blame him; more clicks equal more bucks for him.

SG, on the other hand, stays out of that stuff. I can't say for certain how much he knows about the nuts and bolts of the game, because he avoids it. What he gives us is what's going on with DCU. SG doesn't seem to speculate wildly on anything, and I appreciate that.

SBI is a good blog. SI is, in my opinion, better. If I want a fan's perspective, I can go elsewhere. SG isn't the loyal opposition, but he doesn't sugarcoat things for us. When the team isn't playing well, he doesn't shy away from that. If there's a controversy (like Wicks over Crayton in the early games, for example), he asks the tough question. These are not the best of times for DCU overall, and he's not pulling punches on that. I only speak for myself, but I'm glad that's the case.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 6, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

game not on TV, I couldn't make it, guess this thread wasn't the place to get caught up on the game . . . .

dadryan, did the hostile females have big Texas hair?

Posted by: OWNTF | April 6, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Saturday night was a good time and a good loud crowd. I was stunned to read only 12,500+ were there. Stunned. I even sat way up behind LaNorte waiting for my GF to buy more stuff at the team store for the beginning of the 2nd half and the crowd looked much bigger than that. Definitely sounded bigger.
We enjoyed great weather, participated in two great tailgates, saw a pretty good, scrappy soccer game, and got 3 points. And we saw some pretty cherry blossoms when we cut through town on our way home after. You can't have too much better of a weekend then that right there.

the powerboater69, it's a shame you don't bring your kids, maybe they could show you how to have a good time - my daughter used to plan her spring and summer visits with me to see the most United games when she was growing up, and brought my grandson to games when he was still an infant. There is no wrong age to enjoy RFK and United. The place is packed with kids, not sure what you are whining about (this time).

Posted by: dcufan | April 6, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Yowza. We all feel the pain of low attendance and lousy stadium staff. I went to Freedom match instead of DCU. Maybe I deserve a bullet.

But wait, I did go to Wegman's. Seems like a much better place to work than Whole Foods. Thankfully, no sign of the Goffer there filling out job applications. His hands were probably too exhausted.

Moreno - trajeta roja was deserved. Another stupid, stupid send off for him -- just like last season.

Posted by: MR1Caretaker | April 6, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Freddy Adu would not sniff their lineup.

Posted by: fischy | April 5, 2009 12:57 PM

He can't even sniff the lineup for Monaco, why would he sniff it for one of the top 3 teams in the world?

***
As for attendance, league-wide it is down, part of it has been the March/Early April weather and in other cases (such as with United) there have been other factors to keep it down.

A lot of bad vibes have been coming from United this year from the stadium, personnel, FO and ownership (for me it has especially been with our ownership where I'm really starting to believe that MacFarlane = Horowitz 2.0). I'm sure that has an impact on how many people make it out.

Posted by: mcontento | April 6, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

@OWNTF: Their hair was surprisingly pretty "small". The weirdest thing was that the women who said the "they are all mexicans" bit looked a little latina herself. Too much alcohol never helps any of us...

@ Mr1Caretaker: LOL.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 6, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Steve, as you suggested I sent an email to Stephen Zack two days ago, but no asnwer....I guess they are fine with me going to the games solo instead of with wife and kids(that is 30 BUCKS vs. 120...). Good for my savings account, but I hope for them that there aren't many people that feel the same way I do.

Posted by: malatestiano | April 7, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm surprised Stephen hasn't responded. Give him the rest of the week and then try again.

Posted by: Steve Goff | April 7, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Goff. I just received an answer from Stephen Zack. I find his answer is fully addressing my concerns (they are going to talk to CSC about this issue) and for me the case is closed.

FYI: Very kindly, Stephen also offered to comp tix or merchandise to me and my family. I appreciate the offer but I turned it down. I was really trying to make a point and not fishing for tickets out of the Team that I support.

I want DCU to do well and to stick around. I want my kids to have the same feeling of excitement and of community associated with going to the games that I had growing up in Italy and hope that DCU will be here forever.

Posted by: malatestiano | April 7, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse