United Rewind

Video of Emilio's header.

Video of Olave's equalizer.

Video of Morales' game-winner.

Read my United match report.

Read the Freedom match report.

DCU PLAYER RATINGS
Crayton 4.5; Namoff 6, Jakovic 5, Burch 5; Fred 5, Jacobson 6, Simms 5, Gomez 5, Wallace 5; Pontius 6, Emilio 6. Subs: McTavish 4.5, Doe 5, Quaranta 5.

By Steve Goff  |  April 11, 2009; 11:31 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: WPS Matchnight: Red Stars at Freedom
Next: Americans Abroad

Comments

No biggie
Molly Malone's is a good time for a game... Nothing like every tv in the bar tuned in to the United game!
Still hella early in the season!
Hey Steve what's wrong with RSL's fans?
I bet if we could get a new stadium built, we'd have no less than 20,000 season ticket holders our inaugural year... what gives?
where do they sit?
what do they eat?
cigs they smoke?etc?
Can we blame it on pass over? How bout folks giving up soccer for lent? Anyway... Too bad RSL can't draw more than DCU does on it's worst day.... Garber should really re-examine all the smoke he's blowing out his backside.
I agree with your player ratings for the most part Goff, and thank you for your coverage!
Happy Easter!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 11, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

In the other post many were saying that the equalizer was a keeper error. I totally disagree. Crayton really didn't have much of a chance there. The ball was headed from 7 yards out with a lot of pace. Crayton did well to get anything on it at all. I know fans want blood, but be smarter about it. If anything, we need to be doing a better job denying the service and getting to the headers first.

Posted by: SeanWG | April 12, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

I am not afraid to say that I will gloat a bit if the Sounders can't equalize and KC gets 3 points... seriously, someone has to pull these noobs heads out there rave green buns...
My fantasy points are still doing ok.... yeah,yeah,yeahs, second song is about to come on SNL>....

Posted by: DadRyan | April 12, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

.. My apologies. I'm that ticked about this game . . I'm going to stumble and repeat myself . . .

"White Shirt black shorts!!!"

Dadryan, you read my mind. Maybe it will change our fortunes out West.

""Oh, one positive comment... I was really impressed with Jacobson on the ball.""

Not so much. Defensively he was good early, but the ball got away from him going forward more than once. And he was gassed by the 70th minute where he was watching most of the time and didn't close down the cross that lead to the winning goal, which brings me to . . .

SOEHN'S game management . .

McTavish in, but for FRED?! Not Jacobson, who was clearly gassed. Then you put him in for Fred . . at wide right where he hasn't played in a competitive 1-1 game since his days as the Apple Blossom King in Winchester, VA?!!

Doe in. Not for Lucho or Pontius . . but for Gomez?! Leaving Jacobson, Simms and Pontius to run the middle of the field?

ARE YOU THAT BLIND!!!! AAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

What are you thinking fool?!?!

Posted by: delantero | April 12, 2009 12:10 AM

And please don't blame Crayton for their first goal. It was deflected in a blink of an eye. At least he got hands to it.

Zach Wells would have been already diving to the left!!!

Posted by: delantero | April 12, 2009 12:13 AM

""Though the improved surface eliminated the bounces that had tormented it for years, United lacked precision within 30 yards . . . ""

Sorry for the verbosity, but the wife is asleep!

Goff nailed this. Repetitive passes were simply lacking precision. I.E. Up front, Pontius was clearly out muscled and slower than his man Olave . . . but we kept dumping the ball long!!! At least TRY and hit the kid in stride . .

Finally someone (DOE) figured out how to switch fields but it was toward an out of place McTavish . . . and then out of bounds!!

Posted by: delantero | April 12, 2009 12:18 AM

""Crayton compensated for his first-half miscue ""

Watch that again and tell me that was a weak effort . . . it was a misdirected rocket .

Posted by: delantero | April 12, 2009 12:21 AM

"We probably dropped too far to give them the space to start the counterattack."" Soehn

PROBABLY?!? Your failure to sub out Jacobson who should have closed him was PROBABLY a problem.

Posted by: delantero | April 12, 2009 12:23 AM

Posted by: delantero | April 12, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Goff, regarding your player ratings... Emilio played his best game thus far this season (even though we lost) bump him to a 7. Fred played great also, bump him to a 6. Wallce played horrible, drop him to a 4. Jacobson was non-existant for too long, drop him to a 4. not sure how it looked like in person, but from the television Crayton slipped up on the goal.

Jaime Moreno...take Pontias under your wing and teach him everything you know, this guy has the potential to be a great player!

Posted by: Springfie1d | April 12, 2009 4:55 AM | Report abuse

I think Jacobson did fine. I wish they would have let him go forward more, but have a feeling they kept him back to watch the RSL misfield. I'm getting pretty frustrated with Gomez. He is non-existent. In his last tenure the attack ran through him and always down the middle. Unfortunately, by the end of the season, every one know that we stalled the last 8-10 games of the year and...you know the rest. Now the attack is more diverse going down the wings a bit more, but that should open Gomez up for some dynamic plays. Instead, he's getting subbed out in the middle of the second half. He definitely should have been subbed because he hadn't done anything all day. I would suspect that Soehn has about a month or so to get the defense in order. They had many lapses in judgement. There was always guys open in the box. It was ridiculous!
Luchi was great, Pontius was great, Namoff Ol' Reliable!

Posted by: jsm3 | April 12, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

What delantero said. All of it. Truth.

Posted by: Truck | April 12, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

And Dad, yeah, Molly Malone's was great.

Posted by: Truck | April 12, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Anyone watch the LA game? What a CF of cards...

Posted by: Reignking | April 12, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Please see Crayton's positioning for the first goal if you honestly believe that was not his fault. He was leaning to his left when he should have been in the center of the goal. The man knows nothing about where a keeper should be positioned at all. That was pathetic.

Posted by: no_recess | April 12, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

"But the result came with some regret as Washington (0-1-1) dominated play for much of the game and had a man advantage for the final 25-plus minutes."

if the Freedom had a man advantage, then they definitely should have won. isn't that what helped the East Germans win all those women's weightlifting medals back in the 80s?

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | April 12, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

You mean a woman advantage ;)

Posted by: Reignking | April 12, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

"Dempsey has equalized."

Posted by: sitruc | April 12, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Nice play by Clint to force the turnover and then follow the play to put the loose ball low and at the far post.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 12, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Anything that moves on a football pitch is properly referred to as a man, just as anything that moves on a chessboard is a man.

Posted by: universityandpark | April 12, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Real Salt Lake attendance was low in 11k because most went to Seattle to watch Sounders.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 12, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

United's managment is so focused on getting a real estate deal in PG or somewhere, that they forgot to invest in proven defensive players. The backline might be OK in a season or two, but not now with 3 rookies and a converted forward.What did we do with the dough we saved from the big Argentine salaries?
RFK is a fine venue. We don't need a new field, we need new owners. We have one of the great franchises in the MLS and they threaten the fans with leaving.
Give us some owners who care about soccer.

Posted by: lemovs | April 12, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

We need to ask why is Dempsey so more effective with Fulham than with the US nats. I realize that the US attack revolves around Donovan, but maybe more effort should be placed in getting Clint into good positions. Dude can finish...

Posted by: fischy | April 12, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

What I said about Dempsey -- that was before his 2nd goal...

Posted by: fischy | April 12, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

"Typical Dempsey"

Posted by: sitruc | April 12, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

no_recess, I don't know how you can say that Crayton's positioning was bad on the first goal. If anything he had perfect positioning. As a keeper, I would've been positioned right in the middle of the goal (which he was). He only leaned to the left a little because, as most good keepers know, most of those crossed headers are simply redirected to the far post. That was just a nice header with a lot of pace. It is true that he should've had the save though.

Posted by: pmtthree | April 12, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Clint might even pull Fulhamm up to a place in Europe...

Posted by: fischy | April 12, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Brede Hangeland went 90 for Fulham...I had no idea he was Norway's captain...

Posted by: Reignking | April 12, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I thought Captain Stubing was Norway's captain.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 12, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

hmm... We're accusing the management of spending too much time on PG County?

I don't think they've spent enough time on any aspect of United's developement. The best the could come up with was two failed stadium bids and bringin Gomez back.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 12, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

""Please see Crayton's positioning for the first goal if you honestly believe that was not his fault.""

Yeah, tried, but in my disgust last night I erased my DVR'd copy of the game . . and the mlsnet feed is poor quality . .

However, it still looks to me . .while Crayton cheated left slightly . . the ball took a wickedly fast redirection off of Olave's scalp. Maybe he should have slapped it instead of push it . .

Posted by: delantero | April 12, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

In real time, I think the anti-save is forgiveable. Should he save that? Yes. He has hiccups. But he's usually very solid. I think he'll improve, and he should be our keeper this season. No, Wicks isn't better. He kept us in the game a couple times. I think lashing him hides the real problem.

Honestly, Salt Lake had our number in this game. They are more vibrant and dangerous, because they've been building under Kreis. We haven't. We can't go from a weak, crappy team to the best team ever in one season. (God knows we've tried). It's all about assessing our strengths, and building.

I just hope it will happen in the DC area.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 12, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Well from Goff's match report it was slightly redirected, but I cannot tell. I watched it a few times and it looked like he was guessing the wrong way. I still think he sucks b/c he could not even tip most shots back over the crossbar. I don't blame him for the loss, but he is not IMO a good keeper for a variety of reasons: positioning, free lancing out of the box, and he does a poor job of holding on to shots that he should catch or deflect over the bar.

Posted by: no_recess | April 12, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Berhalter already paying dividends for the LA Gals . . red for a mugging of Alecko!

Posted by: delantero | April 12, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Hey DadRyun what's wrong with DCU's fans?
I bet if we in SLC had a team that had won the MLS cup multiple times and had a metro area population 5x what we have, we'd have no less than 20,000 season ticket holders ... what gives? You only drew 12,500 your second game. Those in glass houses should not throw stones...

Posted by: timoteo1 | April 12, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Criticize Crayton for the way he had his hands down, not ready for a shot. What was he expecting from a cross? That goal should never have been scored.

Posted by: Verrazzano | April 12, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

hey timoteo1: I wouldn't get my sacred underwear in a bunch reading my comments dude. I'm not worth it.

Seriously though... If all it took was winning championship trophies to get stadiums built, shouldn't DCU have at the very least something as nice as RIOT INTO? You kind of lobbied my tongue in cheek point yourself bud. ENJOY your stadium, and get some people out to the games so we don't have to stare at seats when watching on tv.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 12, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey DadRyan: Sounds like you got your pink laced panties in a bunch reading my comments, dude. Don't worry, I don't pay much mind to comments from effete pseudo intellectuals like you.
Enjoy YOUR stadium, and get some people out to the games to watch your 35 year old whining, flopping playmaker who couldn't even make it with the cRapids, so we don't have to stare at 45,000 empty seats when watching on TV.

Posted by: timoteo1 | April 12, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

""effete pseudo intellectuals like you""

Now dems some fightin' words . YEE HAAAWWW!!

How bout you call two friends and we'll call two friends and get them out to games, period.

It's not a good thing for MLS when you can still read RIO TINTO on the seats . . . nor in the case of DC, sell more seats opposite the TV cameras to make it seem more crowded . . .

Posted by: delantero | April 13, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Verrazzano | April 12, 2009 9:19 PM
I agree that the defender marking Findley (Fred I believe) did nothing to block the cross. Also why was Olave so far forward? I find that odd for a central defender.

Posted by: no_recess | April 13, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

It's not a good thing for MLS when you can still read RIO TINTO on the seats.
=================

Get the Eurosnob and comic-fan audience by changing the name to Rio Tintin. Have mascots dressed like Capt. Haddock, Prof. Calculus, and The Thompson Twins.
Blistering Barnacles!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 13, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

"effete pseudo intellectual"?
timmy, I'm not sure where you got the impression that I thought of myself as smart....
I think actually prefer the "adolescent crackhead with a double digit IQ"...

Posted by: DadRyan | April 13, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if this game was one to really go nuts about. DC didn't play well, but also didn't play poorly. The big problem was that too many in the back and in midfield did just OK; no one really stepped up and had a good showing, other than Fred. I think my main complaint was giving RSL too many looks. Between our back three and Simms and Jacobson, we needed to force their shooting opportunities a few yards further from goal. We were running the risk of getting burned, and that's what happened. No one was particularly at fault on the Morales goal (a deflected loose ball came to him, he took a quick touch, and picked out a corner), but you'd like someone to be closer to their most dangerous player in the 80th minute.

I'm not blaming this loss at all on Jacobson, but I do think we come out with a draw if Olsen had been able to go. We lacked a central connection between offense and defense, and our composure could have been better. Simms is a touch below his best form right now, and I think we probably needed more experience in this one.

People are upset about Soehn's sub choices, but they're not as ridiculous as they're being made out to be. We don't know how fit Fred is, so him coming out earlier shouldn't have been as shocking as it was to some. RSL had started to get some things going down their left side when Cox (normally a midfielder) came in at left back. He hadn't created anything himself, but his attacking play had put us in situations where danger was very close twice in short order. Fred wasn't doing the defending needed. I think it's a fair argument about whether McTavish was the man for the job (personally, I think asking Quaranta to go hard for 20 minutes on his more natural side and pin Cox back by pressuring him was the better option), but I think Fred did need to be replaced at that time.

I'm guessing Gomez got taken off because he was gassed. Unfortunately, we had no real options to replace him. Pontius did OK against Houston not because he did anything creative from attacking midfield, but because his energy and desire to be available for the ball held Clark back from charging forward for every Dynamo attack. It was an entirely defensive move, and a wise one. This time, however, RSL's extra attackers were coming from wide. Beckerman's game didn't change when Gomez came out. Maybe the sub here was McTavish, with Jacobson moving forward (this was talked about during the preseason, so it's not totally unfamiliar).

Wallace should have stayed in. I know Quaranta needs minutes, and we needed a goal, but then I would have already brought him in for Fred. Wingert wasn't threatening to go forward, but I think having Wallace and Doe on at the same time could have lead to some questions being asked of the RSL defense (it would have taken a better long ball than we were serving up, though).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 13, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

did i see in the highlights simms wearing the captain arm band?

Posted by: jay-jay | April 13, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

yes jay-jay.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 13, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

so simms is the captain of the team? or was it cause ben wasnt there and jaime was on the bench? i ok with it either way, i think

Posted by: jay-jay | April 14, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse