United Rewind

*The D.C. United-Real Madrid friendly Aug. 8 at FedEx Field could be finalized as early as Monday. Real would play a second MLS team a few days later. There are two candidates for that match: one in the Eastern time zone, the other in the Pacific time zone.

*Monday should also be the day the trade that sends the rights to veteran defender Avery John from New England to United is finalized. We will then await DCU's subsequent roster move. Peters? Khumalo? Doe?

*Watch Ben Olsen's equalizer.

*Read my match report.

Lots more on the continuation of this thread.....

*Why did Coach Tom Soehn make two substitutions at halftime? It wasn't planned that way. He had already inserted Santino Quaranta when Clyde Simms told him he wasn't feeling well and couldn't continue.

"Clyde didn't do a good enough job of communicating. We are about to start the second half, and he says, 'I am not feeling well, I don't think I can go.' I would have never done the first sub, so he put us in a little bit of a bad spot. If we are in the locker room, we have a lot of time to figure that stuff out. He has got to let me know right then so we can adjust."

*Why did Christian Gomez, who was playing so well, leave 15 minutes into the second half? Hamstring issues, for which he was being treated well after the match ended.

*Asked about New England's goal, Soehn acknowledged the defensive problems but also said: "I think Louis [Crayton] has to come get that. I don't want to comment too much on it until I see a replay."

Said Crayton: "It was an early cross, so there was no way I could've come out of the goal."

*Where was New England's Chris Albright? Knee injury, made public before the game.

*Those feisty exchanges between Ben Olsen and Wells Thompson? "Ah, he's a good kid," the DCU veteran said. "Look, it's New England-D.C. I figured I would try to start a fight to get us moving (laughing). It's a heated game. No hard feelings."

PLAYER RATINGS
Crayton 5; Namoff 6, Jakovic 6, Burch 5; Pontius 4, Simms 5, Olsen 7, Gomez 7, Wallace 6; Moreno 6, Emilio 5. Subs: Quaranta 5, Jacobson 5, Fred 6.

By Steve Goff  |  April 18, 2009; 12:18 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchnight #5: United-Revolution
Next: WPS Matchday: Breakers at Freedom

Comments

Avery John. Why?

Posted by: decoi | April 18, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Usually, I'm with you Goff on the ratings -- at least in the same neighborhood. Wallace and Burch are way over-rated. If you don't go below a 4, then that's where they should be. Wallace got one cross in past his defender. Winning a corner kick is fine, if that's what you're trying to do. And Burch was miserable. Sure, Pontius missed a sitter, but I'd say he deserved better than Burch, who forgot to play this game at pro speed.

Gomez asked to be taken out. Pulled up lame, clutching his hamstring -- signaled the bench. Perhaps ESPN didn't catch it, but it was right in front of me. He did look great up to that point.

I'm sorta with Crayton -- even if he had come out, I don't think he'd have gotten there. Maybe he should have tried, but the cross came down outside his "six".

Great props to Moreno and Olsen for combining on the goal, and rescuing a depressing evening.

Posted by: fischy | April 18, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

We didn't lose.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 18, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Crayton could've come out, maybe not. However, one thing is certain on that play. The central marking was terrible. In my opinion the goal was due to poor defending.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 18, 2009 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who thought the service into the 18 was abysmal?

I must have watched a different match. United, while not looking wretched, certainly did not look good. There were a couple good tackles, a few nice strings of passes, but far too many 50-50 balls, poor service, and some inexcusably poor shots on goal.

Santino, in particular, looked poor.

Wallace looks promising and seems ot have pace.

Still waiting for Gomez to get fit. Deja vu. Still waiting for Gomez to get fit.

Posted by: ErickSp8 | April 18, 2009 1:07 AM | Report abuse

""Revolution goalkeeper Brad Knighton . made a superb save on Moreno in the second half""

Let's not blow sunshine up his arse. Jaime shot it right at him with an entire goal wide open.

Overall he played well, but that was not a superb shot or save.

Posted by: delantero | April 18, 2009 1:08 AM | Report abuse

I agree on Tino, Burch and Wallace - they didn't play well. I hope Pontius can learn how to put away those sitters or at least force the keeper to make a play!

On the play leading up to the goal, I don't understand why Crayton cleared the ball out of bounds. I thought he had time to play the ball up field.

I also thought the referee shouldn't have allowed the Revs to throw the ball in so deep on DCU's side of the field, but maybe I didn't have a good angle on where Crayton's kick went out of bounds.

I liked seeing Gomez, Emilio, Jaime and Ben playing together again, but we look slow. We have a great possession game with some good creativity, but we need more speed up top.

We might have really had some trouble on the defensive end if Twellman were playing.

Does Nicol have a double, an assistant coach who is 20-30 lbs. heavier, just in case an opposing fan decides to come after him?

Posted by: billindmd | April 18, 2009 6:40 AM | Report abuse

ok, maybe Simms should have said something earlier but did he know Soehn was planning to make a sub with Tino at half time? Burch was playing that badly and it is not typical to sub anyone at the half (except injury), especially when you have players like Moreno, Olsen and Gomez on the pitch who are really questionable to go the full 90. Even though Soehn is rolling Simms under the bus on this one, I still lay a good deal of blame on him.

Posted by: Beckster1 | April 18, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Can someone explain why Joseph wasn't red carded for the tackle from behind on Santino at the end? It wouldn't have changed our game at all, but if Moreno gets one for his 2 weeks ago - then joseph definitely deserved one for that.

Posted by: SamDCU | April 18, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

@Beckster1,

Simms is a professional and has to know going into the game that the roster is full of guys who are older/working with chronic injuries. When all three of Moreno/Gomez/Olsen are starting, Simms—ironman that he is and we all love him for it—has to let Soehn know if he's less than 100%, and sick all day is certainly that.

Posted by: benonthehill | April 18, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

I thought the culprit on the goal was Burch. If the ball is being crossed in from the right, the left back needs to be in the middle, not AWOL.

Posted by: granadoskerry | April 18, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

SamDCU -

Because Joseph got the ball with his tackle. I can't stand Shalrie Joseph, but that was a brilliant play. Borderline call that there's any foul at all, but since the ref saw contact from behind it's a mandatory yellow. Moreno was comically late on his tackle, and clipped his man's legs on the follow through. You can argue that's a yellow, but Joseph's was no red....

Those player ratings:

Olsen plays 1/3 of a game and gets a 7? He disappeared for 60 minutes and looked truly awful in stretches. And he needs to get the memo that if he's tossed from the game for being an idiot, he's not on the field for that brilliant play at the end.

Wallace equal to Jakovic? Not in the game I saw! Wallace gives a nice effort, but he still generally looks completely overmatched at this level. Jakovic was outstanding - such a relief to see a capable CB out there. Probably the best player on the field for DC last night. I hope to see him start pushing forward a bit more as the season progresses.

The in-game player moves made no sense at the time; Simms never comes out! And Moreno stuck out there for the full 90. Simms and Gómez health issues explain it.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 18, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Burch's passing was off last night. He seems to want to force his passes too much by looking to hit ill-advised long balls or crosses to no one.

Pontius had two quality scoring chances - kudos to him for getting in good position for them but brutal finishing but putting neither of them on goal.

Wallace was OK - he certainly has pace to keep up with speedy wingers that trouble Burch; however, it would be good to see Wallace generate more offense from his LM spot when he plays there.

While the cross may have been a quick delivery from Ralston, it was not a driven cross by any means and it would have been good too see Crayton challenge for it - regardless the marking on the play was terrible and should be the problem which Soehn addresses in the press more than Crayton's issue. It is now two weeks in a row where Soehn blames Crayton for a goal.

Did Emilio even play last night?

Posted by: PhillyMLS | April 18, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Last year this was a loss. Now we are getting ties. I am very optimistic. Our defense can only improve as they gel over time. Then we will start winning. Some of the passing sequences were lovely, the finishes will come.
Why do we continue to have hamstring and muscle problems???? Don't we have a quality, professional fitness coach?

I don't see any need to bring in an aged defender. Our guys will do fine if given time.

We're doing OK.

My biggest issue is Soehn. Why start rookies when you have quality like Tino and Fred? I think he is asking too much too soon from the rookies. They'll do fine but I think we need our vets to show them. Fred and Tino should start if they are healthy and use Ponitus and Wallace for late game energy and spark.

Posted by: RRP1 | April 18, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I think Avery John will be of no benefit to us. Why are we getting him. We have a good back line. Everyone is starting to jell. Peters looked good. They need to rest Jaime and Christian and let the kids have a go at them Wednesday. Maybe we can look at the 3rd string goalie too. We have good young talent. I remember Avery John. He was a thug.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | April 18, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

It really doesn't inspire confidence when Tom Soehn continues to point the finger at his players while taking none of the blame himself. With or without Clyde Simms's illness, subbing out Marc Burch at halftime was the WRONG MOVE. Rodney Wallace has never played left back as a professional, and Wallace was in no man's land in the middle of the box on the Joseph goal, instead of marking up against either Mansally or Joseph on the back post. That goal might not happen with the more experienced Burch in the lineup. Wallace is better at a left mid than a left back. The 3-5-2 can only be effective when the back 3 act as a cohesive unit. That doesn't typically happen when one of them is playing out of position.

I'm not saying Burch is exactly an MVP or that he was even playing great in this match, but if the plan from the start was to sub Quaranta in at half time, I'd rather take out Wallace than take out Burch. But really, when we've dominated possession for the entire first 45 minutes, and we haven't given up any decent scoring opportunities, why make any changes???

Posted by: DCUMD | April 18, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Soehn you can't blame that goal on your keeper. The marking was poor from the beginning. No one tracked Joseph from midfield. No one was marking on the throw in. Jacobson was stuck marking two guys on a sweet cross. If you want to blame someone it should be Soehn for starting Burch as a LB on a three man backline in the first place. Wallace was fine out there. Maybe Santino or Fred should have started in MF.

Posted by: no_recess | April 18, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Burch wasn't at fault on the goal because he wasn't in there. Wallace was the left back a the time. But I do agree that the left back should have been there taking care of it. Or Crayton should have been there to get it. I'll watch the tape today.

Posted by: jsm3 | April 18, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I thought the culprit on the goal was Burch.

Posted by: granadoskerry | April 18, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------

That's an interesting theory, considering Burch was on the bench at the time.

Posted by: edgeonyou | April 18, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

It's a shame Tommy only has 8 fingers, because he has so many people to point at. These comments can't build confidence in the team at all. Tommy needs to go. Time to hit the old dusty trail.

Posted by: BelovedCartoonMouse | April 18, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I agree that Soehn's blame for the players are tiresome. Our goal keeping coach, what's his name marky simpson??? needs to let Crayton play his game. Remember last year when Crayton played and came out dangerously to grape the ball everyone was scared specially Soehn coming out publicly advising not to? Now Soehn is blaming him for not coming out. I think they tell him too much contradictory advise and put people in an uncomfortable situation. Let the man play his game. I keep hearing our squad is not full strength and that they will get better but guess what? Every team will get better fitness. Again, at a time like this when every politician in the region is turning against us United players need to perform really well and win all they can to turn the table up but with this OF it is not getting done and my patient is running thin.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 18, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

It's hard to believe that Tom Soehn criticized Crayton for not coming out to get that cross when a) It was really poor defending that allowed the goal and b) why would you want to encourage Crayton to be more adventurous in the box? He already has too many 'choose-your-own-adventures."

This game showed what Ben Olsen means to this team. I think the reason why we haven't lost more games this year is because of him being out there on the field.

As for Soehn - I still think that if he can't clearly demonstrate a strategy for both short and long-term success by the All-Star break then we need to move on.

Posted by: diego_r | April 18, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Fire Soehn.....

What?! Huh?! Who said that?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 18, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I think its interesting that every time we lose or tie, Soehn throws the blame on certain players. I am sure such comments really make them want to bust their tail for him next game !! Where is the encouragement and the inspiration that leadership should provide? Anybody can be critical, but it takes a leader to find the positives!!

Posted by: therealfan | April 18, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

One of the reasons I don't think Crayton got that header was because it had a strange delay after it came of Joseph's head. I think it mushed against Jacobson, meaning his reflexes were fooled. But that;s just me.

No, Soehn shouldn't be bad mouthing his Goalie after every game. Unless you have a better one stuffed in your gym bag, save it for the locker room.

I think it was partly Namoff, partly Jakovic to blame. Namoff just didn't focus for about three seconds, and that was enough. Someone other than Jacobson had to be there to deflect the cross, and I guess that would be Jakovic.

Gomez doesn't have the train going these days. Meaning: His skill and momentum used to carry him through, slowed or fouled by defenders. Not anymore. The defenders are braking him too easily.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 18, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

For a change, I have been enjoying watching Seattle Sounders FC's weekly shows on King5 and Kong.6/16..what a name of tv station! But their mgmt did a really great job for organizing and getting the deal done. But than their owners are richer than DC's and one of them is listed on world's richest football owners with billions in bank account. Their every games are on tv and weekly shows by pretty lady name Lisa with not only Sounders but highlights for mls weekly games including UEFA champions league highlights, although she said Barcelona played with Buyers!! Too bad DC can't even get games on comcast let alone on local channels. We need some rich and star owners and good marketing teams for DC.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 18, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

6 for Fred? Way too generous. What did he do to get that rating other than fall down to set up the tying free kick?

And I thought Quaranta seemed totally out of sync with everyone else. He tries too hard to do everything himself rather than working within the team.

Posted by: fedssocr | April 18, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

""And while I think Pontius wasn't as good as he has been I'm not sure a 4 is warranted. Is that just because of those two wide open chances he blew over the crossbar?""

Sure is, plus the nice switch from Jacboson (?) that he let bang off his thigh and out of bounds. A 4 is too high!

Posted by: delantero | April 18, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Kasper needs to go as well. He's the one responsible for bringing in these old and injury-prone players who have failed to perform adequately. Avery John? What, he couldn't reach Ivan McKinley?

Posted by: lgm6986 | April 18, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, and Avery John? Now that's just stupid. He was fractious when he played for NE, and hes is just too old to introduce to the team (I felt the same about Gomez, but he at least knows about United's play).

We need another coach and some front office cleansing, because we are bleeding bad decisions, any more and we will be sunk.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 18, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Tino was ball watching while Joseph slipped in, leaving Jacobsen on two players. Finger pointing by the coach to Crayton? Probably too much starch in Soehn's well pressed shirt. My comment during the first half was this could be one of those games where NE gets one chance and finishes, and we have several and don't connect on any. Tough crowd here though with higher expectations (a good thing).

I am anxiously awaiting the Freedom thread. A beautiful day for soccer. Someone wake up Pete please. 6.5 hours to kickoff.

Posted by: MR1Caretaker | April 18, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

OT:

If there is one reason to keep the World Cup from going to England in 2018 is that the field at Wembley is a disgrace.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 18, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Lot's of fingerpointing on the goal, but why so little at Wallace? He was playing LB at that point, the ball was played to the back post, and he stood and watched Jacobson try and mark 2 guys.

Namoff? Not as funny as Burch, but still. The only critique I'll make of Jacobson on that play was the complete lack of ups he displayed. He couldn't have cleared the Sunday Post with that leap.

Posted by: JkR- | April 18, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I can see why Soehn made the sub of Burch. As several people pointed out, Burch was having a howler. His passing was poor, and he got caught dallying on the ball once (and probably could have been caught more if the Revs were pushing forward). I was reminded, for the 2nd time this week, of the infuriating loss to Harrisburg a couple years ago, in which Burch pretty much did the same thing. I've said several times that Wallace isn't a fit in a back three, but on this occasion I can at least see the logic. First, the 2 Revs players most likely to isolate Burch 1v1 were Mansally and Nyassi. Either one would easily blow past him. Wallace has the speed to recover if beaten 1v1 in that spot, and since the Revs weren't throwing together any combination play, the risk of him being outsmarted by more experienced players was pretty low.

However, the timing of the subs becomes a big question. Unless Quaranta had already turned in his player pass and stepped onto the field, Soehn could have pulled that sub back. Even if you tell a player you'll give him a half, there are circumstances (like your iron man defensive midfielder surprising you at the end of halftime with news that he's sick) that you have to tell the player "Look, sorry, but the game dictates that you aren't going to get a full half". You can never 100% guarantee any player that they'll get into any game, because you don't know what will happen. That said, I don't know if it made that big of a difference. Moreno toughed out his cramping and ended up serving a great ball for the equalizer. Maybe N'Silu comes in and creates something during the 20 minute lull that we had after Gomez left the game and Moreno cramped, but maybe not.

On the NE goal, there's plenty of blame to spread, but not on Crayton. Namoff, for perhaps the first time this season, shut off on the throw in. Ralston caught the mistake, got into position, and had time to size up a cross to where he knew the Revs had a 2v1 on Jacobson. Wallace pinched in too far, and I don't think Jacobson knew that Joseph was behind him (he had been on the back of...Mansally?). If Crayton had come for that ball, I feel like we'd have seen a collision with either Joseph or Mansally in good position to finish. Crayton made the right call staying home in hopes that the header would be close enough to save. Someone mentioned that the header behaved oddly; having watched the game again, it came off Joseph's head and shoulder, which might explain that.

I will add that I think Jacobson looked better in the simpler defensive midfield role than in Olsen's two-way position. His tackling was strong, and he knew that playing there, he had to get the ball off his feet quickly and in a non-risky fashion. I also like having a guy with size in the middle of the field. There's potential there.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 18, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

P.S.

I agree with many of you about Soehn throwing people under the bus. Personally, I think publicly blaming a player for something should be used in extreme situations. He does it far too often. On one hand, the players know exactly what he thinks. On the other hand, you get things like him throwing Crayton in with the other players that handed the Revs a goal (by basically not defending at all). He admits that he hasn't seen the replay; from the bench, I'm sure the angle of the cross looked within Crayton's range; on TV, not so much. Soehn should have just left it at "I haven't seen a replay of that so I can't say for sure".

Even when a player has done something boneheaded (like Simms keeping being sick to himself; I'm sure he was just trying to fight through it, but you have to at least alert the trainers that it could be a problem), that's to be discussed in the locker room and at training. Of all of Soehn's habits, this is the one I find most bothersome.

Oh, also, at first glance I wonder if Avery John gives us anything, but then Burch is unpredictable (last night, for example, was poor bordering on unacceptable). If he can't ever get it together, maybe John (who might be a goon but was always fairly consistent in being an average defender) isn't such a bad call. It will really depend on who we're dumping to make room.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 18, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I've always been a person who believed in patience and letting things play themselves out, but my patience ran out this morning when I saw the Soehn quotes. It's one thing to try and kick your team in the pants to get an underacheiving bunch to play harder. It's another when you are singling out individual players in questionable circumstances for blame. The goal? Depending on your point of view, any of 5 players could have been held responsible, in various groupings (and have been in the 2 game threads here). The substitution fiasco? Call me crazy, but a.) didn't Soehn see Simm's substandard play in the first half? and b.)are the coaches and training staff not competent enough to pick up on when someone is ill, especially when it takes a highly trained athlete off the field? (It's not the first time I've had strong doubts about the team's training and conditioning program.) This is asked on top of a history of questionable substitution decisions. Bottom line, Soehn is the field boss. He gets the credit when they win, and the blame when they lose. It's part of the job. But when a coach seems to be actively campaigning to lose his players by ripping them in the press, it's time to take a hard look at whether his shelf life has expired. If Soehn's hasn't already, it's coming up really, really fast.

Posted by: throwin | April 18, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

In the first five games, if there has been anyone who has made the most mistakes, it's Soehn. I would attribute the lack of results more on his bad decisions than any one indivdual's play. We don't need another defender. We need a good decision maker. IMO the FO should be looking at him with more scrutiny.

Posted by: Jaywag86 | April 18, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

""I also like having a guy with size in the middle of the field. There's potential there.""

Yeah, in a defense as a center back. He's not quick enough to be a d mid. He seems lost 50% time he's out there and has one speed . . a fast jog most of the time.

Namoff was caught out on the throw in, but Wells Thompson made a nice fake to the endline, freezing Namoff who had to commit to defending Wells first . . . that left Ralston open for an easy cross.

Jacobson runs with Joseph, loses him as Shalrie slows his run and waits, then Wallace ball watches and loses his mark leaving two Revs open between the 6 and 12. Horrible all around, but Wallace then Jacobson are the ones holding the bag on that ---YET ANOTHER--- soft goal.

Posted by: delantero | April 18, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Re: Burch . . he showed little interest in getting forward and when he did, he slowed it down too much and serviced mediocre balls.

I had no problem with that sub, but thought it would have come 10-15 minutes in, not at the half.

Party Boy played well, should have put at least one of those on frame!! But I'm sure he knows that.

Posted by: delantero | April 18, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jsm3 | April 18, 2009 9:47 AM
Woops I meant Wallace!

Posted by: no_recess | April 18, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

ITS TIME... REALLY... ITS TIME...
FOR SOEH'RRY ASS TO PACK HIS BAGS!

THIS TEAM HAS NO DISCIPLINE... YOU
CAN TELL WITH ALL THESE INJURIES THAT
THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO CONDITIONING
DURING THE PRACTICE SESSIONS.

HOW MUCH LONGER?

I'LL ADMIT THEY LOOKED GOOD LAST NIGHT...

ALL THOSE TATTOO'S! WOW!

Posted by: DCFaninSocal | April 18, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Please stop shouting.

Thanks.

Posted by: vivzig | April 18, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

For those who care, I place responsibility for the Revs goal with Tino. (Sorry, Tino, but you stood while Shalrie ran past you to head the ball.)

Posted by: carnack | April 18, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm with the optimistic folks. I'd rather be winning, but watching the potential for players like Jacobson, Wallace, Pontius and (though on the bench last night) N'Silu. We have the makings of a team that could jell by late summer in time for a playoff run. Thinking back to this time last year when there was no hope in sight I'm feeling ok for now.

Posted by: eadc | April 18, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

In all the things I said, I forgot my main point:

We can harp on the goal all we want. It was a series of errors, and will frustrate us all to no end.

We can criticize Soehn for his use of subs and his comments towards the players. They both certainly call his ability into question.

This game, however, was not won because of poor finishing and, to a lesser extent, inconsistency on the final ball. If Moreno shoots a couple inches further left, he scores instead of Knighton making the reflex save. If Pontius dials down the power just a bit on either of his chances, he scores. Those were sitters.

As for the final ball, you'd think we'd have created more sitters considering the fact that we were cutting through their midfield (including Joseph and Larentowicz) like a hot knife through butter for much of the first half. A few of the combinations we created were high quality, but then the ball into the box was lacking, or the decision on the final ball was not the best. I'd be more alarmed about this if we had simply had no ideas, but the ideas were there; execution was the problem.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 18, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

I think people are over-reacting on Soehn. I'm not trying to defend him or argue he's coach of the year. But please keep this in mind....

1. On the "subs" issue, given what we know now (Simms pleaded sick late, Gomez had a hammy issue), the subs pretty much make sense.

2. On the "throwing Crayton under the bus" please re-read Soehn's comments to Goff. He says that he doesn't want to make a big deal out of his initial impression or say anything further until he sees the goal on tape. Now, if he sees it on tape and lambasts Crayton, yeah. But to effectively say "I think Louis should have come out but you know, I really need to look at it on tape, I could be wrong on the first impression"--that's not throwing someone under the bus, it's being frank (rather than peddling general coach BS).

Better finishing and this game isn't even close. 20 shots to 4. NE is always very tough to play against, I don't think we're in great form but tactically and in general play we were good enough to win this one 4-1. But for the finishing. And frankly, I'll take Moreno or Pontius in front of goal with those chances every game--the only better pure finishers we have on this team are Gomez and Emilio.

Posted by: JoeW1 | April 18, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

""Thinking back to this time last year when there was no hope in sight I'm feeling ok for now. Posted by: eadc""

For the record, by the middle of May last season we had lost to KC (0-2), Salt Lake (0-4!), Chicago (0-2), Columbus (1-2), Colorado (0-2), and Chivas (1-3).

Any complaints with our 3 ties and 1 win now?

This season we have been in a situation to win every game . . .

Posted by: delantero | April 18, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Resumes Please.

Posted by: SoehntheExit | April 18, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

And for all of you who offered advice earlier this week for the Dccal Dulles-to-DCU Dash: The flight arrived early. Yippee! Mrs. Dccal arrived late. Aarrrgh! In the driver's seat at passenger pickup at 6:40, by which time I had fired up the laptop to check the traffic on Google Maps. Horrible, horrible red and black on the Beltway and 66. Confirmed by visual inspection. So I took 123 to the GW Parkway and crossed into the District on Memorial Bridge, then took Independence to the freeway for the left flank run into Lot 8. Very zippy. In the seats (loud side, mezz) at 22'. I consider that success. Thanks for the encouragement.

As for the game, we played attractive attacking soccer, whereas the Revs played dribble-up-the-field. We amply deserved the bit of luck that produced the draw. The Revs got more than they deserved.

Posted by: dccal | April 18, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Our 14k draw on Friday night was much better than Chicago's 10k today on Saturday on a nice day weekend.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 18, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh and not to mention NY draw 8k.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 18, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Please stop shouting.

Thanks.

Posted by: vivzig | April 18, 2009 3:51 PM
---------------------------------

All caps cue us boobs in that the comment is really important and not to be dismissed...unlike all the other comments which are not all capita;ized.

Posted by: fischy | April 18, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Yellow card for taking the shirts off is really really stupid law in my opinion. What is the big deal of taking the shirt off in celebrating the goal?

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 19, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Can someone please tell Coach Tom Soehn to go back and watch the Chelsea vs. Liverpool game?

You win soccer games by scoring goals. And you score by playing forward with mostly vertical passes. Was I one of the few that saw excessive horizontal and back passing?

We almost lost to the Revs because of the game strategy. Players do what the coach tells them to do.

We need a coaching change - - long overdue!

Posted by: Fino100 | April 19, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

""Was I one of the few that saw excessive horizontal and back passing? Posted by: Fino100""

Fino, that's possession and led to 4 or 5 quality chances (Pontius x 2, Moreno, Wallace to a sliding Gomez, am I forgetting anyone?).

If we have the ball, they can't score. If you want direct soccer, watch another team.

Posted by: delantero | April 19, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Having said that, I agree that our direct service is rare and poor, but Emilio is not a guy who scores on the run or from the air . . so who are we going to service with direct balls? W

e have no Drogba or Ching even to outmuscle and outjump people. Ergo, possession in tight spaces

Posted by: delantero | April 19, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Who is the one who picked Avery John to come to DC and then set the deal? We need to get rid of him!!!!

Posted by: VirginiaFan | April 19, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Real Madrid vs DC United? This ain't real. DC United must read this site before go to the game and beat them.

Posted by: Joko1 | April 20, 2009 5:18 AM | Report abuse

First off, if Simms came to Soehn before the second half kicked off, then it's not too late to change your sub. It's not official till that whistle blows and your 11 are on the pitch.

Secondly, he throws Simms and Crayton under the bus in one interview. As a head coach, you can maybe do that every once in a while when you are trying to send a message to a player. But you can't do it as an excuse every friggin week. It's a long season, you gotta have your guys ready to go and then just takes the ups and downs.

I don't like Soehn. I wish we had made a change this offseason.

Posted by: Matte | April 20, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

wasn't olsen's goal really an own-goal?

Posted by: gode | April 20, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse