United Rewind

If you can't get enough of United's 3-2 comeback win over the Red Bulls earlier today, here's Goff's story that will appear in tomorrow's paper.

Here are some photos from the game:

D.C United's Chris Pontius is mobbed by his teammates Clyde Simms and Andrew Jacobson after scoring the game-winning goal at 91st minute against the Red Bulls at Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands on Sunday. (Mike Stobe -- Getty Images)

The celebration continues after Chris Pontius' 91st-minute goal. It was the second goal of his rookie season. (Mike Stobe -- Getty Images)

Luciano Emilio celebrates his fourth goal of the year, which tied the game in the 90th minute. (Mike Stobe -- Getty Images)

Luciano Emilio is taken down by New York's Kevin Goldthwaite. (Mike Stobe -- Getty Images)

Red Bulls goalkeeper Jon Conway goes up for the ball. (Mike Stobe -- Getty Images)

By Greg Manifold  |  April 26, 2009; 9:44 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans Abroad
Next: Video: Emilio, Pontius Goals

Comments

""Khumalo managed to steer the ball toward the target. "I didn't mean to pass that one," the South African admitted. "I was trying to score and somehow it slipped to Chris." ""

Yeah, Boyzz, we know! At least he's honest . . great effort to beat them to the ball.

Posted by: delantero | April 27, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

""United Note: Olsen left in the 50th minute with a sore ankle but said it was not serious. ""

Didn't we vote to keep Ben out of this game? Lineups by Soccer Insider, Tom. We'll twitter our subs to you. Don't worry, we got it.

Posted by: delantero | April 27, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

The 2 comments above by delantero are both spot on:

a) That's a funny Boyzzz quote: watching that replay I kept thinking to myself, that's such an inventive pass!

b) Ummm - we've already gotten more out of Benny Olsen this year than I ever could have imagined. But playing him on such a terrible surface on such a hot day?

I'm still not convinced that our organization knows what it's doing.

Posted by: diego_r | April 27, 2009 1:06 AM | Report abuse

ps - I don't think a team can win a championship with Crayton in goal (non-Open Cup of course, I don't want to take away from his incredibly ecstatic celebration following last year's triumph)

Posted by: diego_r | April 27, 2009 1:09 AM | Report abuse

At least we don't have Conway in goal. He looked really shaky yesterday. Shouldn't have let Boyz create that goal, and the almost goal from Wallace after Conway couldn't get around Olsen was kind of a joke too. How exactly was Crayton at fault on those two goals?

Posted by: SeanWG | April 27, 2009 6:53 AM | Report abuse

Wallace's goal was pretty good. It was a fast coming ball that he had to slide in with running fast. Some people would have shot sky rocked or wide if not skillful so he deserve a lot credit too.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 27, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

That was a great game to go to! Except for the Redbulls fan that kept calling us St Lious United. DB.

The second half was all Re Bulls until the last ten minutes. For once it wasn't us giving it up at the end.

Posted by: bighungry | April 27, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

I agree the goals from Crayton were soft. It felt a bit like a continuation of Gomes's embarassing display for my Spurs against Man U on Saturday.

I'm not writing him off yet, but there are have been some soft goals lately, and it worries me.

Posted by: M__N | April 27, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Actually, I'd say that the shots for both RBNY goals could have been avoided by even competent defense. Jakovic was completely beaten to that header by Angel off the corner (or free kick, I can't remember) and Burch shouldn't have let Richards get to the loose ball in front of the goal mouth.

Those weren't completely "soft" goals...

Posted by: combedge | April 27, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Just some awful keeper decisions this weekend -- Moreno's goal for Columbus, this last DCU goal...

Posted by: Reignking | April 27, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

As long as it ends up in the net, I don't care whether Boyzzz was shooting or passing.

It's nice to walk into the Meadowlands and take three points. Let's not forget to send them a Thank You note. So considerate of the Red Bulls to build a new stadium so that we can continue to do that in a nicer environment.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 27, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

BTW love the pics -- great addition to the blog.

Posted by: Reignking | April 27, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I didn't get to see the game, and as a result, I've got a few questions:

-Why doesn't the MLS/DCU highlights package include the non-Penalty when Emilio was taken down in the box? I was listening to Limarzi on the radio, and he was 100% that it should have been a spot kick for the good guys. I know I'd like so see it, if only because it obviously had an effect on the course of the game. If we get that call, it's a different (hopefully much less dramatic) game.

-Was Brandon Barklage as active and effective as I've heard he was yesterday? If so, after two strong performances, he has to be our second choice #10 behind CG. As much as I love having Fred, CP, Tino, Emilio, and Wallace all on the field at the same time, if Barklage makes the offense run better than the sum of his parts, then put him on the field, period. Get him ready to take the wheel full-time when Gomez rides into the sunset after this season or next.

-And just because I like questions in series of three... Anybody willing to pledge to buy shares of common stock in United in order to raise funds for a stadium? Anybody?? Bueller?

Posted by: TheAMT | April 27, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

True, there was a gap between what DCU was asking and what Fenty was offering in terms of fiscal support, but that's the least of the issues. Honestly, the problem DCU is having with a stadium right now is not the funding. It's getting a local gov't to sign off on a location. Once that gets done, the funding will probably fall into place.

Posted by: fischy | April 27, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Let's temper the exasperated "Barklage for #10 in '10" talk. The kid has 1 1/3 good outings for DC United. Not great. Good. Even Christian Gomez's first two outings in his #13 jersey weren't spectacular.

Remember Mark Lisi....

Posted by: DWE4 | April 27, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

At least some MLS players take this stuff seriously:

"Angel, whose eyes were red and watery, was clearly shaken after Sunday’s loss. “Today was an embarrassment,” he said.” What happened is unacceptable. Today was the worst.”"

Posted by: fischy | April 27, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I still have Barklage pencilled in second on the depth chart, squarely behind Gomez. If Gomez still has fitness and form next March, then by all means he will and should be our CAM. In my comment, I was looking for some insight on Barklage's performance yesterday since I was unable to watch it.

In the Dallas game, though, Barklage had a very good rapport with Pontius, Quaranta, and Fred, and the offense ran very well through him for the majority of the match - he was at least as influential as anybody else on the field. I recognize it was the Dallas reserves, but for a rookie, it certainly doesn't bode ill. If nothing else, it would seem to warrant more playing time (when Gomez can't go) or at least a closer look at him in the center of the park.

I'm not crowning the kid, yet - for next year or any other. I'm saying that in the absence of Christian Gomez, *if* the offense proves to work better when Barklage is running it than when he's not, then we should have him on the pitch, even if it means benching one of our other stars or wunderkids.

Posted by: TheAMT | April 27, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey fischy - nice quote there on Angel. don't know if you were being sarcastic, but for my part I respect the guy and empathize - it must suck to play for NYRB.

Hey Goff - I'm getting old, memory banks fried. This sort of 89+ come-from-behind road victory can't be too common in MLS anals, can it?

Posted by: regularfan | April 27, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I understand the desire to play Barklage if he contributes. Heck, maybe Soehn has seen the light of day and realized that rewarding young players for their successes translates into late-season roster depth. It's just that you can't breathlessly elevate someone from practice squad to "second choice #10" (when you're saying "#10" like it means something important) based on a couple of good outings. The streets are littered with young players who showed well in a few MLS appearances then amounted to nothing. DCU history includes several "annointed ones" who make us laugh in retrospect (Otero, Salas, Quintinilla, Convey, Lisi, Moose, etc.)

I say make Barklage our first choice #24 and move on. Few MLS teams have found success with an American player pulling the strings, and DC United will certainly be last last to accomplish the feat.

Posted by: DWE4 | April 27, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse