United Sights and Sounds

*The radio call from D.C. United's stunning comeback against New York. On the volume meter, announcer Tony Limarzi begins at 11. Adjust accordingly.

*Unless they meet the Red Bulls in the playoffs, D.C. United is done -- I said, "Done!" -- with Giants Stadium after 14 seasons, 25 league meetings and three postseason visits. (United actually fared well there, going 12-10-3 in the regular season and 2-1 in the playoffs, the loss coming in a shootout in 1996.) As you know, New York will move into a 25,000-seater on the banks of the Passaic next year, and with United making just one regular season trip to the Great Bull Swamp this season, D.C. has no additional plans to use Exit 17W. Even if New York were to advance in the U.S. Open Cup on Wednesday, set up a meeting with United and win hosting rights, the game would not be played at Giants Stadium.

After Sunday's match, Chris Pontius and Ben Olsen were limping around the locker room, victims of an artificial turf that is harder than a week-old scone. Said Santino Quaranta, of the hard surface and the searing heat: "It was so hot on that turf, underneath my shoes, my feet were just burning. It was pretty awful."

*Red Bulls star Juan Pablo Angel, on the late collapse: "There is no excuse, no explanation of what happened. I have no words to describe it. What happened is just unacceptable ... an embarrassing performance."

*Maybe a United-Real Madrid announcement next week? The ball, so to speak, is in Madrid's court. The other MLS team that might host Real during the two-game visit: Perhaps Toronto.

By Steve Goff  |  April 27, 2009; 3:31 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gulati in D.C.
Next: Swine Flu Impact Continues

Comments

I am convinced that Limarzi had a Monster Energy drink before the match.

Posted by: TheJim1 | April 27, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

"the game would not be played at Giants Stadium."

What are the alternatives? Randalls Island? -- the place where Pele played his first and as he announced after a shower, his "last" game for the Cosmos. His feet were covered by what he thought was a green fungus. It was the paint used to make the field green.

Is there a college field the Bulls would use?

Posted by: fischy | April 27, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

The turf in August in Toronto will be too hot....

Posted by: fischy | April 27, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

breathe Tony, don't forget to breathe

Posted by: teo_68 | April 27, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

fischy, in 2003 an Open Cup match between DC and the then-Metros was played at Rutgers.

Posted by: gocaps2 | April 27, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I am sure we all remember that controversial "shoot out" in the 1996 playoffs alluded to here! I think that is where the hate for that franchise really got its start.

Posted by: fedssocr | April 27, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

re: Playing in Toronto: Would RM want to play on FieldTurf, though?

Posted by: Juan-John | April 27, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I imagined that Rutgers is the first choice. Tell me again why they're called the NEW YORK Red Bulls? You'd think they might use the Open Cup to market to New Yorkers, not head even deeper into New Jersey.

Posted by: fischy | April 27, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

"Tell me again why they're called the NEW YORK Red Bulls?"

Because they play in the same stadium as the NEW YORK Giants and the NEW YORK Jets.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 27, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Ladies Night critics have arrived: http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/3384/38/

Posted by: Pedalada | April 27, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Hofstra has a 15,000-seat pointythrowball stadium on Long Island. This might be a possible destination for RBNY's USOC game.

I loooove listening to Limarzi...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 27, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Ladies night, Galaxy game. What's the difference?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 27, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I am suprised Real Salt Lake would not be playing the other friendly against Real Madrid. Who knows, maybe DC can pick up Pepe now.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | April 27, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance Meadowlands!

That game was almost unwatchable because of the way the ball bounced on that horrible turf. Not to mention the empty stands.

Really looking forward to the new stadium - it looked awesome in the clips telefutura showed.

Posted by: Washago | April 27, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Check me if I'm wrong...but can't you have "passion for the club" and still keep your voice from cracking while you describe a big moment?

Posted by: very_clever_username | April 27, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Why don't the players with foot problems wear the turf shoes like Emilio was wearing? Those shoes absorb the impact better instead of your ankle, and they provide better ball control.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | April 27, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Hearing Limarzi lose it like that just about made my night. Thanks Tony for the unbridled and unapologetic passion for United. Good stuff.

Posted by: eadc | April 27, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Kyle Sheldon has obviously never done any transcription in his life, and this was remarkably easy.

"Three minutes of stoppage time, which began about 25 seconds ago.

Burch is ready for the free kick, about 20 yards under his own half.

Driven in towards Pontius – bounces past him

Going in HERE … IS … KHUMALO

Khumalo turns, it’s alive in the box

PONTIUS scores, Chris Pontius scores!!! "

Posted by: diego_r | April 27, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

dear Kyle Sheldon: please donate my $1.00 to the search for a long-term solution to our goalkeeping and goalie coaching problems.

Is this deal part of the stimulus plan? Took about 5 minutes. I could earn $12 an hour!

Posted by: diego_r | April 27, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

@charismaman: Are you the only person who was thinking the same thing I was? I wanted to joke earlier about Emilio's touch vs Tino's on the chips... It's the shoes man! I really loved Emilio's interview on behind the badge... it's not in english, but he's so much more talkative. Not to hard to get.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 28, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

I think you meant 16W, Steve. The mysterious exit "17W" is only known to those who were in on the Hoffa burial.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | April 28, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone seriously think any of United's players were not wearing shoes designed to play on artificial turf?

Try running for 90 minutes in any shoes on a 120 degree surface, without cooking the bottoms of your feet.

Posted by: fischy | April 28, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse