Video: Coach Punches Referee

It occurred in a Brazilian third-division match between Comercial and Catanduvense:

By Steve Goff  |  April 13, 2009; 8:10 PM ET
Categories:  Brazil
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cubans to Real Maryland
Next: Tuesday Kickaround

Comments

How do you say "jackass" in portuguese?

Cuz this man is off his rocker.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 13, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Apology? Not accepted. Do they still use the rack in Brazil? Better yet - The Machine!

Posted by: MR1Caretaker | April 13, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

I had to take a second look at this video to make sure this wasn't Bruce Arena or Preki based on the horrible officiating on Saturday in Carson. :)

Posted by: nytshade71 | April 13, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Worthy entertainment, hah.

Posted by: redskinsux | April 13, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what was more disgraceful, the flop by the player when the coach "ran" into him or the upper cut to the ref. Both were pretty comical. Gotta love the drama that surrounds the lower leagues in South America. Always a good laugh!

Seriously though I wonder what kind of punishment he'll get. Should be a lifetime ban but given the CBF he'll likely get a fined a week's pay, which for a 3rd Division coach might be $250, and miss 1 game.

Posted by: MichaelVann7 | April 13, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

that makes a guy like Bobby Knight look honorable...

Posted by: VTUnited | April 13, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Frankie Hejduk would call that a love tap.

It's not as bad as the video of the parent of a pee wee football player who ran onto the field during a game and tackled a little 5th grader who was going to score on his son's team.

Posted by: delantero | April 13, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Hold on, used to be assistant to the Brazilian National team?

........ I don't even have a response to that.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 13, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I'll never forget when one of the dads on my U-16 youth team volunteered to ref when the league officials didn't show up... went well until the opposing 'keeper came running at him after a call he didn't like and pounded him to the ground.

Posted by: Modibo | April 13, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MichaelVann7 | April 13, 2009 9:53 PM

I hate it when people have the exact same thoughts as me and then get to post them before me. The tin foil isn't working.

Posted by: sitruc | April 13, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

""Needless to say the game ended then. That was '80s ethnic league soccer in Cleveland but I'm sure it still happens here.'"

Hopefully not, my dad was a ref in the Embassy League in DC awhile back. He got clocked by someone after a call. Game Over. He ran to his car afterward, and thankfully, the other team shielded him.

Posted by: delantero | April 14, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

The title of this alone made my day.

Posted by: StewartDC8 | April 14, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Homer: "Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream?"

I guess the Brazilian dream is just slightly different.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | April 14, 2009 1:02 AM | Report abuse

Homer: "Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream?"

Hmmm, donuts.

homer showing Ronald red . . .

And Bart Simpson bedroom "paraphernalia" not that kind, Dadryan.

Posted by: delantero | April 14, 2009 1:17 AM | Report abuse

I realize it may be somewhat of an American point of view as that's the culture I grew up in but as much as folks love to hate the refs that type of action should have the coach kicked out of the league forever. Right, wrong or whatever, you do not hit a referee. Adults, and that's what we're talking about here, should be held to the rules and expected to show a degree of maturity. Cuss the ref out in the post-game interview if you want or appeal, but when people 'take the law into their own hands', there is rarely justice, no matter how righteous the cause.

Whatever the faults, the fact that the USA is built on a system of laws is one of our greatest assets. In this man's humble opinion, its what separates us from the wolves.

Next thing you know they'll be throwing batteries & balloons of urine at the opposing team. Smile. And then what kind of society do you have?

Posted by: KireDCU | April 14, 2009 2:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: KireDCU | April 14, 2009 2:02 AM

---------------------------------------

The kind in Philly?

Posted by: Josh8 | April 14, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

UnitedDemon, in answer to your question, I believe the way you say "jackass" in Portugese is...."Jose Mourinho."

Once again Goff, you watch so we don't have to--thanks again to your eye for detail and diversity that makes up this beautiful game.

Finally, a question that inquiring minds want to know the answer to. DC United moved their official hotel to the National Harbor (as a prelude to the PG County stadium). I assume that the team has shifted (and if so, where?). Or if not, after the shabby treatment by PG County, why are they still treking out there?

Posted by: JoeW1 | April 14, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

United held its kickoff luncheon at National Harbor, but as far as I know, no other official team events were planned for that location. The complex is the quasi-official hotel for visiting teams this year, but even before the stadium meltdown, some clubs opted not to stay there because of the high room rate and instead booked a hotel on their own in the city or near an airport.

Posted by: Steve Goff | April 14, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse