Video: D.C. United's Victory

Nice production from the DCU video crew:

By Steve Goff  |  April 23, 2009; 9:23 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Copa Libertadores
Next: Everton to All-Star Game?

Comments

Agreed--very nice work. After having seen some really terrible angles on FSC or ESPN, this is some good work and nice editing as well. I hope we see more of this.

Posted by: JoeW1 | April 23, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Wow, DCU really did look good last night. Impressed with Fred, Barklage, and Quaranta going forward.

Posted by: iammrben1 | April 23, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Nice video, any reason they can't do that for all the MLS games?

And our chances to goal ratio was about 10 to 1. We should be so lucky as to get that many every game . . in other words, we have to learn to finish!!

Posted by: delantero | April 23, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I -love- the field-level cam!

I think some DCU starters lost jobs last night -- nice to see them freely shooting and also taking people on 1-on-1. Very impressive.

Posted by: Reignking | April 23, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I am surprised at the quality of Barklage. happily, of course. Fred is playing well, and Quaranta will improve after a few games.

I don't think losing either Doe or Khumalo is a good option. Doe is still young, and the only real direct replacement for Emilio, while Khumalo is an offensive winger/forward who will be needed down the stretch. A 33 year old defender? please.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 23, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Beautiful video! And marrying it with the radio pbp was exactly what I was hoping for.

Posted by: Juan-John | April 23, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of the video considering there was no television broadcast. Those are good highlights and great editing.

Why couldn't they use the same set-up and get an internet broadcast going?

Posted by: sitruc | April 23, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Glad to see the video package. I'd forgotten about those two great stops that Janicki made, and it reminded what a sublime player Pontius can be. If he ever settles down his finishes, he's going to be a star in this league. A worthy heir to Olsen, or even Jaime.

Posted by: fischy | April 23, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I love the long-distance shooting. From this 11, each of Barklage, Pontius, Jacobsen, Quaranta and Burch are capable of testing an opposing keeper.

Posted by: benonthehill | April 23, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

United Demon -

Rather than having three quick, strong, experienced, international-caliber defenders across the back, you'd take Boyzzz? To borrow your phrase, PLEASE! Boyzzz is officially a busttt. His wide-open look at an empty net from four yards in the second half - my money says that's the last one he's going to get in DC, and probably in MLS.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 23, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Don't get too excited about Fred. He did have a few shining moments that were included on the highlight reel, but he had a load of horrible touches in the first 30 minutes of the game. Hopefully, he's still getting the kinks out.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | April 23, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Great game....great result. Had a great time at ye ole' RFK.

Vamos United!!!

Posted by: Smitty8 | April 23, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Let me echo the praise for the DCU AV geeks, great highlight package. That was by far the most enjoyable game I have attended this season.

For those who have not attended the Open Cup: New faces, 2-0, No beer lines, no bathroom lines, no Carne Asada/Pupusa lines.

Posted by: mbetka23 | April 23, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Any ratings on the youngsters?

Posted by: carnack | April 23, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

The reserves seemed to play well, which begs the question- do we really have reserves? Our depth compared to last year is pretty remarkable.

Also, kudos to DC for the very impressive highlight reel (not just goals)

Posted by: carmines757 | April 23, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Um... Actually, you're not just arguing with me. Check previous threads.

No one wants John.

Here's what I think:
No one wants a 33 year old player who was always causing problems in terms of fouls. He'd be good for maybe a season and a half. He's not worth it.

Khumalo is depth for two positions. Moreno, Gomez, and Emilio will need replacements. I'd rather get rid of Wicks.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 23, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Wow, excellent play-by-play. That's the kind of thing I'm looking for when watching matches on ESPN2, FSC or local stations, not meaningless drivel for commentary. The play-by-play guy was really good at creating an image of what was happening, who had the ball, where it was going and some strategy the players were employing in the attack.

Posted by: Eugene7 | April 23, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse