Video: Emilio, Pontius Goals

Watch the two late goals. Jump to the continuation of this thread for player ratings.

DCU PLAYER RATINGS
Crayton 5; Namoff 6, Jakovic 5, Burch 5; Fred 5, Simms 5, Olsen 6, Pontius 7.5, Wallace 6; Quaranta 7.5, Emilio 7. Subs: Jacobson 5, Barklage 6, Khumalo 6.

By Steve Goff  |  April 27, 2009; 12:36 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Rewind
Next: Monday Kickaround

Comments

call it karmic retribution for the Galaxy result.

Posted by: troy6 | April 27, 2009 3:22 AM | Report abuse

Notice on the tying goal that the ref is giving the play-on signal. If Emilio's shot had gone over the bar, he probably would have given a PK.

Posted by: Alsatian1 | April 27, 2009 6:53 AM | Report abuse

Again, the MLS refs. How embarrassing was that for yesterday on LA v Colorado match? Ref show red and takes back right away on the field.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 27, 2009 7:26 AM | Report abuse

As I mentioned on the previews thread, Wallace's goal was not bad considering he had to slide in for fast coming ball. Some would slide over the bar or way wide so kudos to him.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | April 27, 2009 7:29 AM | Report abuse

I might have given Crayton a 4.5, but I guess he did have a couple good saves.

Posted by: bighungry | April 27, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

DCUnitedFootball:

Last I checked refs were human too, give the guy some credit for saying "hey, my bad" and taking the card back. Calls have been overtuned in other leagues too. These guys have to make split-second (OK, split-minute for MLS) decisions. Hard to be 100% right in those kinds of situations.

Good win for the good guys.

VAMOS UNITED!

Posted by: Kosh2 | April 27, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

I think Quaranta has benefited from some grade inflation the last couple of games. Pontius gets marked way down when he misses easy goals but 'Tino does not suffer such a fate when he blows wide open chances.

Posted by: fedssocr | April 27, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Tino's miss-chip is INEXCUSABLE! He didn't even hit the the top netting, he overflew the goal by a couple of yards! Makes you appreciate emilio even more knowing all the touch and skill that go into making his ridiculous goals look so easy.

A good win for the guys, two weeks in a row we make a late-game surge to get some points. Young guys are assimilating nicely, hopefully we can keep this up.

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | April 27, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

The last two games showed last minute guts by DC United...so now just have to work on those lapses over the 89 minutes and get control of ball possession like the old DCU teams of old.

Posted by: dayface | April 27, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

You are a bit generous with Burch at 5. He had a rough day yesterday, IMO. 4 tops...

Posted by: mcn107 | April 27, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

@Mastodon Juan: this, too, shall pass...

Posted by: joedoc1 | April 27, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Folks get all riled up over MLS refs, but can you name a league any where in the world where people aren't complaining about their officials? There are plenty of horrible calls every year in England, too. I thought the guy was brave to do the right thing and rescind a bad call when he got more information. I wish more refs would be willing to do that.

Nice win yesterday. I hope Benny's ankle is OK. He says it's not serious, but he looked awfully discouraged while coming off the field.

Posted by: mabindurham | April 27, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

joshuaostevens is right, hats off to the 09 draft class. It's great to see these guys come in and dig deep for a win on the road.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 27, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

LOVE the United fan shots after the equalizer! Thanks to the guys and gals who made it up to NJ.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 27, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

""the non-Penalty when Emilio was taken down in the box? I was listening to Limarzi on the radio, and he was 100% that
it should have been a spot kick for the good guys""

I've watched it 5 times. Unfortunately, Telefutura wasn't HD and the image is a little blurry . .

. . but the ref is saying there wasn't contact (which is not true) or that the RB defender slid from behind and poked the ball away from Emilio and then there was contact . . . (but the defender never even comes close to the ball)

It looks like Emilio was winding up and kicked the sliding foot of the defender == PK in anyone's book. I 100% agree with Limarzi.

Posted by: delantero | April 27, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Great comeback for United. I missed the live game and so watched the archived version on www.mlsnet.com But whoever archived it at MLS screwed up, and so I watched the last 20 minutes of a motorcycle shoot-em-up movie Telefutura was showing just before the game. That was fine, but then the archive stopped with 20 minutes to go in the 2nd half!! To find out what happened, I had to watch the highlights and was pissed I couldn't watch it all play out. Bummer.

Posted by: WorldCup | April 27, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

quaranta was marked hard and harassed in midfield and dealt with it extremely well.

that was a great job by him.

Posted by: scarlett3 | April 27, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse