Wednesday Kickaround

*Puerto Rico's Champions League dream is over. Entering the second leg of the semifinals with a two-goal advantage, the Islanders allowed two goals in regulation despite a man advantage, and after taking the lead in overtime, they yielded an equalizer and then fell at Cruz Azul in penalties, 4-2.

The highlights:

*For the second time in four days, Colorado defeats Los Angeles at Home Depot Center, this time in a U.S. Open Cup preliminary-round match. After 120 minutes of scoreless soccer that included a Colorado red card in the first half, the Rapids won on penalties, 4-2, before 6,219. They'll face Seattle or Real Salt Lake next month for a berth in the Open Cup round of 16 this summer. (T&T's Chris Birchall to the Galaxy?)

Keep reading for Americans abroad and today's TV listings.....

*Americans abroad yesterday:
D Jay DeMerit 90 minutes in Watford's 2-2 tie with Southampton
F Mike Grella in 18 but didn't play in Leeds' 2-2 tie at Leyton Orient

*Americans abroad today:
F Eddie Johnson and Cardiff City vs. Derby County
MFs Maurice Edu and DaMarcus Beasley for Rangers at St. Mirren
D Michael Orozco and San Luis vs. San Lorenzo (Copa Libertadores)

*Soccer on TV:
Euro Champions League, Liverpool-Chelsea 2:30 p.m. ESPN2
Euro Champions League, Barcelona-Bayern Munich 2:30 p.m. ESPN Deportes, Setanta
Copa Libertadores, San Luis-San Lorenzo 6:30 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
Copa Libertadores, Esutadiantes-Cruzeiro 8:30 p.m. FSE
CONCACAF Champions League, Atlante-Santos 10 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel, Telefutura
Copa Libertadores, Universidad Chile-Boyaca Chico midnight FSE

By Steve Goff  |  April 8, 2009; 7:59 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , MLS , TV , U.S. Open Cup , U.S. men's national team , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Stadium Setback
Next: SueƱo MLS!

Comments

What's on Mayor Fenty's calendar this morning?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 8, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

The Islanders were difficult to watch last night. Cruz Azul lined up in a 4-4-2 while Puerto Rico came out in the fetal position with a fierce determination to keep everyone behind the ball and in their own half of the field. It was ugly "anti-soccer" but it almost worked. They stayed in the game (at least on the scoreboard) and didn't wear themselves out running too much in Mexico City's altitude.

I had been under the impression that Concacaf used the away goals tiebreaker (if so, Puerto Rico would have won due to their away goal) so I was surprised that it went to penalty kicks.

Domenic Mediate came on in the 2nd half and missed one of the few PRI chances right at the end of regulation. Did he play in this competition for DC last fall?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 8, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 8, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

I wondered about the away goals thing too. I think Mediate was out with his concussion problems during the part of last season when DCU played in this competition.

Posted by: fedssocr | April 8, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

@Joel -- The announcers said the away goal rule got thrown out in extra time, which makes sense. Otherwise, that team enjoys the advantage of an additional 30 minutes to score an 'away goal'.

"Chris Birchall" -- Is that what Vieri is calling himself now?

I get to watch one game before the seder. Which one?

Posted by: fischy | April 8, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know if DCU is trying to sell tickets to their USOC play in match at a discount?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 8, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Is Fenty in the country today?

If anyone is expecting any DC stadium news during the season, don't hold your breath. The city isn't going to look at a new developer for Poplar Point until the end of the year.

Posted by: fischy | April 8, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

@DadRyan,

If you're a season ticket holder - the Club is selling seats to extra games at your "Average Price Per Game" cost. However, the USOC play-in is Special Game A for Full Season plans.

Not sure they would go below what season ticket holders are paying, but maybe something less than the full MLS price.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 8, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Well done Islanders. Didn't win it, but at least they made the fledgling competition more interesting.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 8, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy

Why would that make sense? The home team has the home field advantage...and I don't think that's how the rest of the world does it.

PR...wow, you blew it. Better than Montreal, though. Even before they went a man up, they were playing scared. They were hoping to play bunker ball for 90.

On the bright side, I'm not sure we wanted a minor league squad winning our Champions League.

Posted by: Reignking | April 8, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

They lost despite having a 2 goal lead and a man advantage for the second half plus OT?

I guess Addlery didn't have enough heart and grit?

Posted by: delantero | April 8, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Plus PR scored first in OT to go up 3-2 agg . . . . . . sounds like they self destructed worse than Montreal did a few weeks ago . . .

I hate not having "golden goal" rule. The point is to establish a winner . . . first one to score in OT should win. Instead we go to PKs?

Posted by: delantero | April 8, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

The highlight was seeing Domick Mediate. He looked recovered.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | April 8, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

i really think FIFA and whoever else should really consider bringing back the Golden Goal rules. futbol, like hockey, is a sport where it makes the most sense to reward the team that scores first in extra time as opposed to baseball, basketball, football, etc. i know they can't keep it going forever like they do in hockey and lacrosse (7OT MD-VA game anyone?), but at least for 30 minutes reward those who prefer to go for it and not let it come down to freaking penalties which i find to be terribly anti-climactic, even (or especially) in a World Cup final (where it should never come to that, IMHO).

would the NHL allow the Stanley Cup to go to a team that won a shootout? they'd rather have someone die on the ice from exhaustion first. give teams some additional subs for extra time and let the game get decided on the field.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | April 8, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

It may be a part of the game but PK tiebreakers suck. If there was anyway to do away with them, I say bravo. However, I doubt there is.

Posted by: blackandred777 | April 8, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | April 8, 2009 10:08 AM

Really? I definitely wanted the USA team to beat the Mexican team. But it was a brutally tedious game to watch. PR sat 10 behind the ball from the start, even after they went up a man on a very dubious straight red about 30 minutes in. It had nothing to do with Addlery heart and grit, he was an "Islander" up top by himself in a sea of blue. At least Montreal went down swinging.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 8, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I have tried posting my thoughts about the Puerto Rico Islanders-Cruz Azul match a couple times here on the blog this morning with no luck. Maybe that is the universe or the Post tryin to tell me that hey are pretty much worthless.

Thanks to all of the supporters that adopted us.

Big Ups to Momo's on U Street for the great hospitality that they displayed to the DC division of the Islanders Foriegn Legion Brigade. The guys at Momo's were freaking fantastic.

The Islanders success in this tournament will be something that I will remember until i die or go senile (hopefully neither will be happening anytime soon).

Posted by: yankiboy | April 8, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Momo's is a fantastic soccer bar. Great viewing atmosphere with local soccer-fan ownership. They get it, and they've proven that time and again.

Posted by: gocaps2 | April 8, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey yankiboy!: Tell me something, is Momo cool aside from being hospitable? How soccer friendly are they? Do you know if they've got their Direct Kick subscription up and running? Just weighing my options on where to watch the DCU game on Saturday... Drink specials designed for broke as a joke stay at home Dads???
I've looked at pics on their website and the tv look placed at some break neck angles....

Posted by: DadRyan | April 8, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I guess Addlery didn't have enough heart and grit?

Posted by: delantero | April 8, 2009 10:10 AM

Well played, delantero.

Posted by: CDRHoek | April 8, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I'll still take yankiboy's 2 cents if he'll give em, but thanks 2 U 2
gocaps2.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 8, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan: Unfortunately, I am going to be pretty useless (as usual)...

I'm "on the wagon" so I don't usually pay attention to the specials but I think that they had a draft beer special last night.

I don't know about the Direct Kick, either. I am pretty sure that Barra Brava or the Eagles have used Momo's as an offical viewing bar before.

As far as the tv angles, they have some flat screens. I was pacing around to much to notice the angles and what not. Unless a setup is absolutely horrible, those sort of details are usually lost on me.

Sorry. Someone else here must have visited and be able to give you better feedback...

Posted by: yankiboy | April 8, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan, IMO Momo's has excellent viewing angles. You have a choice of standing and watching on Level 2 (there are flat screens literally all around you at around 8 feet high) or sitting in the sofas on Level 3 and watching there. The place gets absolutely packed for United matches. yanki is right, BTW - the Eagles do viewing parties there. United also did their official viewing party for the LA season opening match there.

Posted by: gocaps2 | April 8, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey thanks for the reviews fellas, they are helpful. Probably going to be working in the District most of Saturday, and I'm leaning toward staying busy til' right before game time and then dropping somewhere... decisions, decisions... I'd probably normally find myself at Kitty O' Shea's for a game, anyone know if they've got their DK subscription straightened out?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 8, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse