Early Wednesday Kickaround

*The preview of D.C. United's U.S. Open Cup match against Dallas tonight at RFK Stadium.

*DCU-Real Madrid negotiations are on hold but expected to resume soon.

*Toronto (1-2-2) hosts Chivas USA (4-0-1) tonight but will be without star midfielder Dwayne De Rosario, sidelined several weeks with a hamstring injury. Coach John Carver will be on the sideline, though with a lighter wallet. Carver was fined $750 for calling referee Tim Weyland a "disgrace" last weekend.

*Forward Jack McInerney (Alpharetta, Ga.) had two goals and two assists as the USA under-17s clobbered Cuba, 5-0, at the CONCACAF tournament in Tijuana, Mexico. The Americans will play Canada on Thursday.

Please keep reading.....

*Crystal Palace Baltimore (USL2) has signed 19-year-old midfielder Neil Vranis, a Potomac, Md., native who starred for the elite Baltimore Bays club last year. Vranis is majoring in neuroscience at Johns Hopkins and plans to continue school while playing. He holds a Greek passport and, if he develops, the club would look to move him to Europe.

*Americans abroad:
GK Tim Howard and Everton at Chelsea
D Danny Califf and Midtjylland at Copenhagen
MFs Benny Feilhaber and Jeremiah White with Aarhus at Sonderjyske

*Soccer on TV:
Italian Cup, Juventus-Lazio 2:45 p.m. GolTV
England, Chelsea-Everton 3 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel
England, Manchester United-Portsmouth 3 p.m. Setanta
Spain, Barcelona-Sevilla 4:45 p.m. GolTV
Copa Libertadores, Universitario Sucre-Estudiantes 6:30 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
Copa Libertadores, Sao Paulo-America Cali 8:30 p.m. FSE
CONCACAF Champions League finals (first leg), Cruz Azul-Atlante 10 p.m. FSC, Telefutura
Copa Libertadores, Defensor Spoting-Independiente Medellin midnight FSE

By Steve Goff  |  April 22, 2009; 6:05 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS , TV , U.S. Open Cup , U.S. men's national team , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Liga of Their Own
Next: D.C. United's Lineup?

Comments

Just rode my bike through Anacostia Park this morning and took some garden tools along. Let's just say, ground has been broken.

Saw a police motorcycle motorcade in the park too . . . leading a pickup with a bunch of orange cones. Major announcement today perhaps?

Posted by: benonthehill | April 22, 2009 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Has any other winner of the Open Cup had to play in like we are this year? I seem to remember there were teams that won nothing but the Open Cup. Curious. Is it because we missed the playoffs?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | April 22, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Does CONCACAF know what they are doing?? Why is their FINAL decided over TWO legs? I'm being a curmudgeon today, but am I being unrealistic here?

benonthehill - I'm pretty good with a pick-axe and shovel, need a hand?

Posted by: adamsunited | April 22, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Hey Goff, have you seen Pepe of Real Madrid's red card yesterday?

We better keep our midfielders away from him, or we'll have another concussion victim for sure!

Posted by: NattyBo1985 | April 22, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Two-legged Final - I'll agree with you @adamsunited. One Game.

Also, to you Marylanders, what's the best route to take from Bethesda to RFK for the match tonight?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 22, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

If we build it, they will come....

Posted by: fischy | April 22, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I agree. CONCACAF wants to be unique, and by doing so, they look like idiots. A two leg final? Ridiculous!

Come United! Let's work for a back to back Cup title.

Posted by: hardcoco | April 22, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

@VABlueBlood -- If you're driving, and not trying to get there very early, Beltway ought to be cleared. I would go east to B-W Pkwy - 295 South. Make sure you stay with 295 (it splits later) Get off at East Capitol.

There are those who insist on going the other way -- Beltway West, take GW Pkwy, after you cross the bridge -- then 395 into Washington...you probably know the rest....That could be faster during rush hour. After 6:30 or 7:00, the other route makes a lot more sense.

Can you give me a lift?

Posted by: fischy | April 22, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

@Virginiafan: Missing the playoffs is the reason United have to Qualify again this year. I get it, but it still seems stupid.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 22, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I agree about the CONCACAF final. They should have it in the Azteca, since only Mexican teams will be in the final...for a long time to come.

Seriously folks, there's a reason why it's a two-leg event here, and why it's not in Europe. In Europe, they can have it a neutral site and sell-out the stadium. It's like the Super Bowl for them. Try that here and you're going to have a very empty stadium. So, they do a home-and-home. Not to be different or unique. Because that's the only way to sell tickets.

Posted by: fischy | April 22, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

@fischy,

I would, except it's the fiance who's driving to the game (she's got the VW, thus the free parking).

She tried the 495 West to B/W Parkway/295 route on Friday - unmitigated disaster. Perhaps diving through the District or coming through Northwest until you can pick up 395 is the best way.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 22, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

DCU has to qualify for finishing lower than 6th in overall league standings, not for missing the playoffs. Note that RBNY is in the qualifying round as well and they were in the MLS Cup.

Posted by: LWPA | April 22, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I skimmed the post and saw United and negotiations on hold and assumed a different topic...

Posted by: sitruc | April 22, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

You win LWPA. Still seems stupid that the Cup winner has to play in.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 22, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Negotiations on hold? I blame Pepe.

Posted by: Louise9 | April 22, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Alpharetta represent!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | April 22, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Atlanta-ish Representin!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 22, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

VirginiaBlueBlood,

Just about anyway you go there is going to be heavy traffic as Montgomery County is always congested during rush hour whether you're on the Beltway or the secondary roads. I would definitely stay away from NW and VA to get there as there is congestion with those routes as well and you are adding distance. I agree with fischy. The Beltway is going to be heavy but it is the most direct. If 295 was backed up last time, you could try 50 East or 214 East instead. If you take 50 then exit at 295 south and follow fischy's instructions from there. If you take 214 then it will become East Capitol Street and dump you right at the stadium. Lastly, there is ongoing construction on Kenilworth Avenue (295) just before East Capitol Street. It may be why the trip was so unpleasant last time. Usually the trip is cake once you are off the Beltway.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | April 22, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

What's with the hate of CONCACAF having a two-legged Final?Aside from UEFA, all club champions league finals are decided on two-legged affairs.

I honestly prefer it this way as it gives fans a chance to cheer for their team instead of having to travel to a remote area.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 22, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

VirginiaBlueBlood:

I use the same route as fischy. It works fine. Takes me maybe 40 minutes going and 35 minutes coming back (measured from Exit 1 on I-270).

fischy: Are you set for a ride?

Posted by: Curious99 | April 22, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Great.... so how long until the "Jack McInerney should be called into camp, Bradley is an idiot" threads begin????

Posted by: PineyO | April 22, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

The last time I drove to RFK directly from Bethesda on a weekday (last year's USOC final), I left work around 6:30 and took the 495-BW Parkway route, and was at the stadium in a little over 30 minutes.

Caveat Emptor: that was a sunny day. If it rains this afternoon, you'll be stuck on the beltway for six hours.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 22, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy
*******************************

2-legged final makes more sense. This tournament has been around in one from or another for several decades with many stops and starts. As soon as they pre-arrange an Azteca final they will be bound to get something like a Saprissa vs Montreal Impact game there.

The game can get good passionate crowds if the teams involved are in good form. I think last year Pachuca (after they eliminated DC) and Chivas are supposed to have played an excellent and well-attended home-and-away series.

This season Cruz Azul and Atlante are both having weak seasons in the Mexican league so the fans may not be as enthusiastic.

Although Mexican teams should dominate the Concachampions, they are not quite the shoo-in candidates you portray. Besides Saprissa recently, there have been other non-Mexican teams in the final game:

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 22, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Will the DC United/FC Dallas game be shown or streamed anywhere?

Posted by: alan19 | April 22, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

@Maryland Residents/Commuters,

Thanks for the suggestions!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 22, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

@curious fischy: Are you set for a ride?

You know, I love this forum. I read the Man Utd discussions in the Manchester Evening News (MEN online). After a few thoughtful comments by people who seem to have good points, it degenerates into the participants bashing one another, and not kindly or with tongue in cheek. I know we have some good-humored banter here, but we also have people offering tickets, rides, directions, etc. Still waiting for Goff to host the SI meet and greet.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | April 22, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Clarification.

The Pachuca-Chivas final I was referring to was in 2007 w Pachuca winning on PKS after a 2-2 aggregate tie (no away goals tiebreaker that year as the results were 2-2 and 0-0).

Last year's final also seems to have been a good matchup with Pachuca beating Saprissa 3-2 on aggregate.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 22, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I appreciate the offers. Being that it's Earth Day, I didn't want to drive myself. I really do appreciate the offers but I think I'll take the Metro.

@VABlueBlood -- Friday is Friday. Don't use it as a measuring stick, for 2 reasons. First, the game was an hour earlier. Second, you couldn't pay me to get on the Beltway West between 2:00 and 7:00 or 7:30 on a Friday afternoon. Probably the worst traffic jam in the country. At 7:00 on a Wednesday, it's a different animal altogether.

Posted by: fischy | April 22, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Still waiting for Goff to host the SI meet and greet.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | April 22, 2009 11:24 AM

Good idea, BlackandRedRedDevil. Perhpas it could be an add-on to the DC United post season banquet, or a special event organized by Washington Post with lots of advertisers and newspaper sales reps and stuff. The paper is having hard times, right? Laying off staff and forcing early retirements? Keep it cheap to get in, but this could be a new profit center for the paper.

Nametags required.

Posted by: WorldCup | April 22, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

On the 2-legged CCL final: I find it amusing that doing anything different from UEFA is automatically wrong. The Copa Libertadores has had 2-legged finals forever, but I guess they also have no idea about how to run a soccer tournament. They don't even use away goals! How embarrassing.

On DCU having to qualify for the Open Cup: Having to qualify isn't the problem for me; doing poorly enough last year to force us into qualifying is. Our league record last year is unfortunately a better indicator of the team we were in 2008 than 4 home wins over a couple USL-1 teams, New England's reserve team, and a mix of Chicago's reserves and regulars.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 22, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Chest: Once you allow a 2-leg final, you've taken the step on to the slippery slope of post-regular season playoffs, summer leagues, shootouts, and 35-yard line offside rule.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 22, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

A single-match final? Once again, UEFA trying to do it differently from everyone else.
Man UEFA is clueless!

Posted by: Figgy | April 22, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

@VirginiaBlueBlood

I grew up out there. Have her get on the Beltway at River Rd., that way she only has to travel a mile on it before getting on the GW Parkway, which should be fine traffic-wise going south.

That's the key, she can (likely) go all the way from the Beltway to the 395 bridge and barely tap the brakes.

Best way to get to River Rd. depends on where she is in Bethesda. Seven Locks Rd. & Wilson Lane are good bets.

As far as trying to get there by going through the city, the first half of the trip will go well, but the second half will take forever. There's just no clean way to get from say, Dupont Circle to RFK.

Posted by: KireDCU | April 22, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Nametags? I've got my handle for knuckle tattoos!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 22, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Still waiting for Goff to host the SI meet and greet.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | April 22, 2009 11:24 AM

Perhaps we need to provide Goff some incentive? I vote we offer to pick up his tab while all going out to dinner at Founding Farmers.

Posted by: KireDCU | April 22, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | April 22, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

You haven't been on the 405 (10, 5, 101, insert number here) Freeway in LA, have you?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 22, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Nametags required.

Posted by: WorldCup | April 22, 2009 11:48 AM

So would this be like a hashing club where we all only know each other by our WaPo handles or would we use our real names?

Wassup World Cup! Cerveca or bourbon, BlackandRedRedDevil?!

Posted by: KireDCU | April 22, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

There's just no clean way to get from say, Dupont Circle to RFK.
Posted by: KireDCU | April 22, 2009 2:02 PM |
-----------------------------------
Oh yes there is... It's got two wheels and it don't need no stinking gas!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 22, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

*DCU-Real Madrid negotiations are on hold but expected to resume soon.
By Steve Goff | April 22, 2009; 6:05 AM ET

Meh. I couldn't get off my butt to watch a "meaningful" game in the USOC. No way I drag myself to FedEx to watch an exhibition anymore.

Have any of these meaningless frendlies ever led to a DC United player transferring overseas? Last I checked, the rosters of Chelsea, Leeds, Newcastle, Boca Juniors, Tottenham and the like weren't sporting many United players.

And Ryan Nelsen only played one half against Blackburn. He didn't leave DC (on a free, no less) until a year later.

Thx,