Americans Abroad, Wed. Edition

In France, defender Carlos Bocanegra played 90 minutes in Rennes' 1-0 victory over visiting Caen while forward Freddy Adu made the game-day roster but didn't play in Monaco's 3-0 loss at Sochaux.

In Scotland, midfielder Maurice Edu was in the starting lineup and went 90 minutes during Glasgow Rangers' 1-1 tie at Hibernian. In the German Bundesliga, midfielder Michael Bradley played his usual 90 for Moenchengladbach in a 1-0 victory at Energie Cottbus. Defender Michael Parkhurst played all of Nordsjaelland's 0-0 Danish home tie with Sonderjyske, while in Sweden [updated], two former Boston College stars scored: Charlie Davies in the 64th minute of Hammarby's 4-2 loss at Mjalby and Alejandro Bedoya in the 75th of Örebro's 3-0 win over Halmstad.

By Steve Goff  |  May 13, 2009; 5:05 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Red Bulls Loans
Next: Pontius Wins Goal of the Week

Comments

Alejandro Bedoya, formerly of Boston College, scored his 1st professional goal as his club Örebro won 3-0 over Halmstad in the Swedish Cup. Ale started and went 90 minutes.

Posted by: MichaelVann7 | May 13, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Michael. I will add the Bedoya item. SG

Posted by: Steve Goff | May 13, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Adu can't be happy can he? What is the point?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 13, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Exactly Dad. I mean, we know he's going back now that his loan was up, but he's been in the 18 without playing for two months now. Is it that the coach only plays 17 of his 30 or however many players? Is Adu the only one this is happening to? Kinda makes you wonder about the coach, and I'm not just saying if he's got a bias. Maybe he thinks putting him on the bench every week will encourage him to work harder to make it on the field, but to me the constant tease seems just as detremental as only making it occasionally and getting like 5 minutes a month.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 13, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

2 games in a row with injury time goals for gladbach! it's starting to look better and better that gladbach will survive and not get relegated (knock on wood)...

Posted by: birdynumnum | May 13, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Pontius just won goal of the week.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 13, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Barca are Champions of Spain! They just won the Copa del Rey. They'll secure the league on Sunday and will be one win away from become the first Spanish team to win the treble. And to make it even sweeter, they'll crush Man. U's hearts in the process!!!!!

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | May 13, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

You don't think an offensive player like, say, Adu might help out in some of these situations? If you lose 3-0, the whole defense first strategy is Bogus.

Go Bradley! If they pull this off, it will be dramatic, and, in their case, triumphant.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 13, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Testing, testing?

Who would have predicted that Maurice Edu would be schooling Beasley in the art of getting minutes?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 13, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Pontius just sticked it to Dero MAricon again.....where is the shake and bake DERO??

Posted by: Norteno4life | May 13, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm shunning Bedoya....

Posted by: fischy | May 13, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Just wondering -- do the Scandinavian leagues play during the week, because their fans would rather watch the bigger leagues on television during the weekend? Or, is it because they're all so outdoorsy, they'd never waste a weekend sitting in the stands at a soccer match?

Posted by: fischy | May 13, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Let's see -- Dero scored twice and got his team a point...the first TFC have ever taken at RFK. I'm sure he's OK with not winning the fan-voted goal of the week notice.

Posted by: fischy | May 13, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Norteno, there's no need for childish insults regardless of what language you use.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 13, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

What's with all the shunning lately? Is everyone celebrating Pennsylvania's arrival in MLS, Amish Style?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 13, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Per Goff's Monday Americans Abroad posting -- Bedoya "shunned MLS". I'm just proposing to return the favor.

Posted by: fischy | May 13, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

your right lets praise Dero!!!

Posted by: Norteno4life | May 13, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

So, I got an email and voted for MLS All-Stars. Any thoughts?

My votes:

Goalkeeper Kasey Keller

Defenders

Jonathan Bornstein
Bryan Namoff
Marvell Wynne

Midfielders

Cuauhtemoc Blanco
Colin Clark
Dwayne De Rosario

Forwards

Landon Donovan
Brian McBride

I suppose I could have voted for Jaime Moreno, but I thought Donovan and McBride stand out. And I could have (and probably should have) put Schelloto in at midfield, but I didn't. At goalie, it was a close call, as the two goalies out in L.A. are putting up some great numbers, but Keller is a better goalie.

Posted by: fischy | May 13, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

MotherEffin' Shunnin' DeRo!
PartyBoys4Life!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 13, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

I could really get into this shunning "ting".

Posted by: fischy | May 13, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Can't believe you revealed your ballot fischy... Blanco is no all star. Giving your jersey to a ref should be an automatic DQ.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 13, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

RE: Scandanavian extracurricular activities.

Their American cousins solved the sports-outdoors paradox by watching Viking games on a portable TV in the ice shanty.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 14, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

@Dad -- Blanco is productive. However, I changed that to Schellotto in later votes.

Posted by: fischy | May 14, 2009 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Fischy,

That may be the boldest 3-3-2 I've seen yet. Are Everton starting with their full allotment?

Posted by: Josh8 | May 14, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

fischy,

So your starting 11 for the All-Star only contains 9? Are you assuming that there will be at least two red cards in the players you choose? You might want to add two more midfielders.

Posted by: no_recess | May 14, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Whoops. For some reason, I misread the ballot instructions -- saw the same "select up to three" applying to both defenders and midfielders. OK, so gimme 2 other mids (not Blanco)....

Posted by: fischy | May 14, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Osvaldo Alonso?
Emo?
How about Ben Olsen?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 14, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Whoops. For some reason, I misread the ballot instructions
Posted by: fischy | May 14, 2009 10:37 AM
=====================

I can't believe Joe Doc didn't say this, "Typical Democrat!"

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 14, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse