Barcelona 6, Real Madrid 2

That is not a misprint.

At Bernabeu.

And Real scored first.

Henry, Puyol and Messi in the first half. Henry, Messi and Pique in the second half.

Barca goes seven points clear with four matches remaining.

Let's see how long these highlights remain available:

By Steve Goff  |  May 2, 2009; 3:47 PM ET
Categories:  Spain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Saturday Kickaround
Next: Matchnight #7: United-Dallas

Comments

It was impressive

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | May 2, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Wow.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | May 2, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

it was a thing of beauty. I just hope they left something in the tank for Chelsea on wed. La Liga is ours!

Posted by: doh1 | May 2, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

That sound you hear is me applauding. Simply stunning game they played. If they play half that well midweek, Chelsea can play 109 in the box and concede two.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 2, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Will it be show again?

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 2, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I watched the Caps instead. I'll be watching this off my DVR late tonight or tomorrow.

Completely off-topic:

The US Open Cup changes its rule allowing 4 subs to the standard 3 sub format. This will mean a change to the standard questions asked during USOC games, from "Didn't they already make their last sub?" to "Didn't they used to give you four subs?". There will be no change to the other stock USOC inquiries (e.g. "Is this on TV?", "Is this on radio?", "Why didn't we just use all reserves?" and "How are we going to win with only reserves?")

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 2, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I waited for this freakin' game all week long, and 2 min to kick-off, what happens? GolTV and FSC simply freeze on me. I call Comcast (Harrisburg), who were getting flooded with calls, and they say they are working on the problem. The finally fix it - at the 90th minute of the game. I am really miffed. The sound of reason in me, says hey, stuff happens. The 5 year old thinks there is some kind of anti-soccer conspiracy. (Good thing I am in the midsts of a series of mid-life crises.) I mean the channel is on the fritz for exactly the whole freakin' game? Are you serious?? Oh well, I'll try to catch the replay.

Here's hoping Barca does the business on Wednesday to join my beloved Man U in the final - that is the only way we will be able to one day say to our children and grandchildren that we watched one of the greatest finals of our time. Man U to lift the trophy again of course.

Go you REDS and VAMOS UNITED!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 2, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

So happy to see that team get destroyed. I can't stand them.

Posted by: Reignking | May 2, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Real Madrid are disgraceful. They have plenty of talent, but apparently no real philosophy in terms of attacking, defending, anything. There style is to show little effort or tactics, just cruise through on the collection of players, and their salaries.

If you're not going to use Arjen Robben, can someone els have a go?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 2, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I was at the match. Let me you tell crazy.

Observations:

- Barca dominated every single part of the match. They were than Real to every ball and were quicker than Real once they were on the ball.

- Sergio Ramos probably played the worst match of his life.

- Fernando Gago is utterly useless.

- Lass is no Makelele.

- Pep Guardiola was enraged when Iniesta failed to score late in the second half (shortly before Messi's 2nd). He was tearing into Messi and Iniesta while Real were making a substitution. He was elated when Messi tacked on the 6th.

- Real Madrid as a club are really something special. On one side of the the Bernabeu, some of the seats are white and some are blue in a pattern that spells out "Real Madrid C.F." Until 30 mins or so after the match, the R is covered in blue seat covers so that you can only see "eal Madrid C.F." Kinda makes it hard to take a nice souvenir photo. Unless you buy a postcard.

Posted by: nycrishi | May 2, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Even as a "Madridista" of sorts, I would have loved to be there nychishi. Pretty jealous of you right now, not gonna lie.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 2, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Casillas is a great keeper and maybe a save would have been rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, but playing the pass instead of the shot on the last goal was pretty silly.

Posted by: AndrewKB | May 2, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

This just makes cheslea's effort on Tuesday that much more impressive. Say what you will about it being ugly, but they made that attack look impotent.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | May 2, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

I am really impressed with Barca's 6-2. Wow. I have never thought of that. When i head at the at the tail gat I couldn't believe it but it is true.
Today is a good day with united wining going on top to of the league!!!

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 2, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

sorry, i meant to say when i heard at the tailgate that barca won 6-2 i just didn't believe it but it's true. Now down with chelsea.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 2, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

This makes more of Chelsea's tactic really ugly. If chelsea wins the second leg of cl there is no justice in football.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 3, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

@nycrishi
Wow you are so lucky. I wish I was there as well. I can imagine how exciting it was. How was the atmosphere like? Ika looks like crap that I have never seen him before. Just wow.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 3, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

I thought US Open Cup was always 4 subs.

Posted by: sitruc | May 3, 2009 12:45 AM | Report abuse

If chelsea wins the second leg of cl there is no justice in football.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 3, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

If you want justice, then you are following the wrong sport.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | May 3, 2009 1:53 AM | Report abuse

@DCUnitedFootball,

The atmosphere was pretty electric until Puyol's goal. After Messi's goal, it turned sour and people were moaning and groaning about every poor touch from Real, which to be fair, was probably deserved.

Before the match, the streets around the Bernabeu were packed and people were singing and generally pumped. It felt like a World Cup match.

There were a lot of monkey calls at Eto'o and Henry coming out of the south side of the stadium early on. Pretty disgraceful, but this is Madrid. For the antics at the Atletico match against Marseille and the continued racism tolerated by Real Madrid (see, for example, generally anything coming out of the Ultras Sur), the IOC should eliminate Madrid from contention fr 2016 straightaway.

This is not a city "of the world."

Posted by: nycrishi | May 3, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse