Chang Speaks With Insider

In an exclusive interview with the Soccer Insider moments ago, D.C. United primary investor Will Chang shared his thoughts on Victor MacFarlane's exit from the ownership group, the outlook for a new stadium, the club's long-term future in Washington and, most importantly, his Lot 8 drumming skills.

He would neither confirm nor deny that MacFarlane got out because the prospects for a mixed-use development stadium project were dimming, saying only that "one of the owners decided to sell and focus on his business." In United's press release announcing the shake-up, MacFarlane was quoted as saying he would "devote greater attention to MacFarlane Partners [his primary business] and my projects in multiple cities coast to coast."

Chang said he and MacFarlane had been discussing the move for several months. "It was not spur of the moment," Chang added.

So much more good stuff on the continuation of this thread.....

General thoughts on his more prominent stake in the club.....

"Nothing's going to change. It's the same coaches, the same front office and I am still going to be the same guy having fun with the fans in Lot 8 at RFK, beating the drum with the Barra Brava and Screaming Eagles just like the old Will Chang."

Will he seek out new investors to join him?

"I'll keep myself open. I won't close myself to any discussions, but I'm not actively looking."

What are the current prospects for a new stadium?

"I was not directly involved in the stadium discussions in the past and I will have to interject myself and get caught up. [Team president] Kevin Payne will take the bulk of the load on the stadium front. I'm not going to take the point."

However.....

"I'm not looking for a big real estate deal as part of a stadium project. I'm looking for a bread-and-butter stadium [without ancillary elements]. I'm not looking for a Poplar Point project [with mixed-use development]. I am just looking for a home for this team. I want to go to a place that wants a stadium and wants us."

Does that mean looking outside the Washington area?

"My first and foremost priority is to find a home in the D.C. area. I have not been approached by anyone in any official capacity from any other city. We want to stay here. Is there a sense of urgency to get something done here? Absolutely. But I am under no time pressure. If it takes a little longer to get it done right, that's okay. ... I would like to move to a permanent home. Obviously, the economics would be more favorable for us than where we are now with RFK."

What do you think of Chang's comments?

By Steve Goff  |  May 21, 2009; 12:28 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MacFarlane Out as United Investor
Next: Video: United's Play-In Victory

Comments

"I'm not looking for a big real estate deal as part of a stadium project. I'm looking for a bread-and-butter stadium [without ancillary elements]. I'm not looking for a Poplar Point project [with mixed-use development]. I am just looking for a home for this team."

"But I am under no time pressure. If it takes a little longer to get it done right, that's okay."

Hallelujah.

Posted by: the_slammer | May 21, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

How many months is "several months?" I always thought of Chang being intersted in the team and not development, but it is interesting that Chang wasn't involved in the stadium and that he is very clear that a stadium is more important that mixed-use development.

Posted by: sitruc | May 21, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I hate to ask so early on in our rivalry, but SOB's, can we borrow the theme to Rocky?

Posted by: -rke- | May 21, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Biggest question: How much money is Chang willing to put up to build the stadium?

Posted by: Juan-John | May 21, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Wow, okay so that answers my questions. I can see NOTHING but good coming from this.

Chang wants only a stadium, not a hotel, bars, restaurants, or any of that other crap MacFarlane wanted. Interesting to see that Chang was not openly involved in any of the previous stadium efforts.

I love this guy.

Posted by: strago | May 21, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of that rivalry -- I still think the "Union" should pay the Freedom for the rights to that name. Now, that would be a team song -- even if I'm no big Elton John fan...

Posted by: fischy | May 21, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

bigger question might be ... does he have any money left to put toward a stadium .....

any financial details, Mr Goff?

I don't care how reliable they are, this is a blog, not a print story :-D

Posted by: dcufan | May 21, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I find a couple of things interesting:

1. As many of us have speculated Mac was only interested in the development aspect related to the stadium and Will defintely took a back seat on that.

2. Will stating he is looking for bread and butter stadium, opens up a world of possible locations that weren't available before. Right?

Posted by: beltwayrob | May 21, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I think he just told you that he's not looking to move the team...just wants to find us a home in the DC area.

That's good news.

And, once more, great job. Nice to have a skilled journalist with access having our back.

Posted by: seahawkdad | May 21, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

The best news, I suppose, is that he sees no time pressure. That should squelch the St. Louis nonsense, for a while. Until Payne decides to turn up that pressure valve, again.

On the other hand, there is some urgency. RFK really is a pit -- and one that is not well-suited for soccer. I bought a season ticket this year to stay close to the front of the line, for a new stadium. Next year, I might return to the flexibility of the flex plan, or I might just decide it makes more sense to get a discount from scalpers or Craig's List sellers. The decline in attendance this year should be a cautionary note that the team needs to get a home that will feed fans' passion for the team.

Posted by: fischy | May 21, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

@beltwayrob,

Seemingly.

Now bread and butter doesn't mean that there won't be the revenue generating portions such as suites and club seats. He's just saying that he doesn't intend to dip into stadium revenues as well as development revenues to feed his team. He wants a home for the team that will help it be a self-sustaining entity and capital spending will be at the owner's discretion.

However, I'm still calling for VfL Wolfsburg to FedEx the plans for VW Arena - put it at RFK or Poplar Point - PERFECT!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | May 21, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I heart Will Chang.

Why don't they get VW to help finance the stadium and call it the VW stadium. Heck, I don't care if it's called the Barbie doll stadium, as long as we have a home that fits our (DC United fans) style.

I have so much confidence in our Front Office.

Posted by: adamsunited | May 21, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Build it in Lot 7. Still plenty of room in lot 8 to tailgate, etc. Still easily accesible from 395, 295 and the metro.

All I ask for is a true seat for every seat. None of these bench seats. I want a seat back.

Posted by: torrey151 | May 21, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Paging Ted Leonsis -- give Will Chang a call.

Then, ring up Dan Snyder. I will continue to state the best solution involves a joint venture for two new stadiums on the RFK site. The city won't say no to the Redskins -- they could name their price. And the two ownership groups could get the environmental remediation done, selling the project as the most environmentally-friendly way to site new stadiums and get started on cleaning the Anacostia.

Posted by: fischy | May 21, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

The United finally have an owner who appears to be putting the focus on the team and the stadium as opposed to using the franchise as a tool to expand his development busines!!! Great news! Vamos Los United!!!

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | May 21, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Will Kevin Payne's transition to taking the lead on the stadium distract him from helping to assure the team's high performance?

Inquiring Insider's want to know how Kevin sees this. Otherwise, I'm feeling OK about this now. A bit reassured by Chang's comments.

Please make the "Chang We Can Believe In" banner.

Posted by: WorldCup | May 21, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Finally -- PowerCr*pper is heard from. He still thinks he's funny....

Posted by: fischy | May 21, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

""I'm not looking for a big real estate deal as part of a stadium project. I'm looking for a bread-and-butter stadium [without ancillary elements].""

YES! Goodbye McF .... it's pretty apparent that I don't care if he's gone as I've said it over and over that he truly didn't seem to care about football, only his own Real Estate. Best of Luck McF, but . .

LET's Go CHANG, find us a home in DC sans hotel/condo complex!!!

Posted by: delantero | May 21, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

actions speak louder than words!
Lets see if he produces since he is in charge!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | May 21, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

When I see concrete getting poured I'll jump on the Chang bandwagon. Not going to get myself all hopeful just to watch another jurisdiction kick the team in the face.

Posted by: DonDraper | May 21, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Do you think we could get VW to help put up the stadium? That is one of my stocks that is really steady.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | May 21, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Chang, please meet Mr. Hendricks. Mr. Hendricks, Mr. Chang. How do you like the sound of "Discovery Stadium, Home of DC United and the Washington Freedom"?

Posted by: OWNTF | May 21, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beltwayrob | May 21, 2009 12:45 PM
****************************

There will still be opposition, hassles and roadblocks from the NOBBIMBYs. They will be out, no matter what location is proposed, yelling, "No bread and butter in my backyard!"

Might attract ants or something...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 21, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

put the stadium in either the parking lot south or north of RFK next to the river. there's more than enough room there.

if losing parking is an issue, build a parking garage under the stadium that can be used by fans of the new NFL stadium that would be build on the RFK footprint.

Posted by: hendrix | May 21, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

viva arlington united

El Pike Presente

Posted by: me_ahogo | May 21, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Keep the parking lots, just raze the DC Armory to the ground, put the DC National Guard's twelve humvees at Ft. Belvoir, and build the stadium on the Armory grounds.

Posted by: Juan-John | May 21, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Re: "a bread-and-butter stadium"

When I go to a nice restaurant, they serve me bread and butter before I get my steak or pasta.

I know some will say, why are we just now getting around to the opening course? Friends, this restaurant has a heckuva waiting list, and I for one am glad to be seated and sipping on my water with lemon, which is about all RFK is right now.

Posted by: Rosslyn45 | May 21, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Chang's position is a big relief. It's good to hear that his focus is on DC United, not using DC United as a means to an end. I don't blame MacFarlane for doing that, but I feel a lot more comfortable with Chang at the helm.

Let's see what we can do with a stadium plan that doesn't require as much or more money for ancillary development. It will also be interesting to see how area officials react to the change, since there have been indications that MacFarlane was not on the best of terms with the Fenty administration.

I'm not going to start celebrating just yet, but I think our odds just got better.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 21, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | May 21, 2009 1:30 PM

I like it. I REALLY like it.

In addition to "Chang We Can Believe In," we need a sign Saturday that reads "The Chang Gang."

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 21, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Poplar Point will never be developed. Even if the District comes back to DC United begging, DC United will have no interest. Serves them right for backing out on their agreement.

Posted by: muskratinator | May 21, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | May 21, 2009 1:30 PM

--------------

Lil help? Anybody care to explain why this makes sense?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 21, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to open old wounds, but I thought it was the private developer/financier who bailed from/killed the Poplar Point project?

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 21, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

viva arlington united

El Pike Presente

Posted by: me_ahogo | May 21, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, my club team growing up already owns that name.

Posted by: Hoost | May 21, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Seciously, Big Will C doesn't need to confirm what is so freaking obvious:

Vickie V only bought in because of the real estate deal. When it went south, so did his interest in anything DC United. Goodbye. Hope that the doorknob hit him in the @ss when he rolled out.

Big Willie C became the fans' best hope in order to keep this team here after McFarlane realized that Popular Point and PG were NOT gonna happen.

It will be interesting to see if the Legend, Mr. Marion Barry will still care about DC United now that his hand picked guy has rolled out. His personal sense of "ownership" may have just left the building. We'll know by the tone of his rhetoric in coming months.

Now that the Mayor and Council are done fighting aover Nat's tickets they might actually have a moment to humor us when the budget gets done...

Posted by: yankiboy | May 21, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Poplar Point died because Clark Enterprises and everyone else realized that just building condos, apartments, retail and what not didn't actually turn around an area.

As that was bid and envisioned - it was never getting completed successfully. Clark walked away intelligently. Especially after Fenty said they couldn't talk to United at all.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | May 21, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

@Godfather -- it was a combination. I believe I'm correct in saying the Clark proposal was the only one that really offered the prospect of stadium. When they withdrew, there was no developer or prospect of development, to be sure. However, the remaining original bids didn't really include plans for a stadium. All of this came on directives from Fenty. So, the question is will this change make His Highness more active in supporting a stadium?

Posted by: fischy | May 21, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

===

Let's be honest... Would you want to see that Nationals play, even if it were free?

Posted by: mason08 | May 21, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@ mason08:

Agreed. I went last night for the first time since they left RFK, and for half the people there, Nats games are a just a crappy, overpriced bar with a $30 cover charge.

The half smoke was delicious, though.

Posted by: me_ahogo | May 21, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

@me_shogo: Half? You're suggesting that half of the people there were paying attention to the game? I guess it's possible, as it was an extremely rare (for the Nats) exciting pitcher's duel. Usually, I don't think it's even 25%.

Posted by: fischy | May 21, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Putting it on the grounds of RFK have always made the most sense. Now that the ancillary development requirement isn't there, then hopefully people can take a real look at that option.

Sure there will be environmental work to be done, but the city should bear some of the cost of that.

Posted by: joe_hill | May 21, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

just a crappy, overpriced bar with a $30 cover charge.

Posted by: me_ahogo | May 21, 2009 2:22 PM

You can get in for $5 - which I wish was true for United (especially in the Open Cup)

Posted by: Kev29 | May 21, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Someone suggested that Danny Snyder be contacted in the hopes that a combined Redskins-DC United initiative would be a win-win. But however well the Skins are doing finacially I think Six Flags (also Snyder) is or is soon to be in bankruptcy.

Posted by: b18bolo | May 21, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joe_hill | May 21, 2009 2:46 PM

I would say that the chances for working with RFK land may be slightly increased now that MacFarlane is not involved (Fenty may have hinted at this on ch. 4 last week). That said, an RFK deal would have to go through the city and DCSEC - we still don't know if Chang or Payne would want that. I would hope that their ears are open to just about anything that keeps the team in the city.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 21, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Until there is recogniztion by the tv media that there is such a thing as professional soccer in DC, not many people will care what is happening. Pressure, pressure, pressure is what will bring about a stadium. The Route 7/ Route 28 corridor in Virginia would be ideal as would any place in Fairfax/Loudoun. I have vowed to vote for no politician who does not support a Virginia soccer stadium and gets behind a push for same.

Posted by: crimsonmac | May 21, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

a stadium for United will NEVER be built in any of the RFK parking lots, or any of the Armory area, how does that idea not die the horrible death it so richly deserves? It's like a double-dose of herpes, it just won't go away.

"Never" might be just slightly too strong, but it is much more likely that I270Exit1 and I will end up owning half the team.

Posted by: dcufan | May 21, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

how does that idea not die the horrible death it so richly deserves?

Posted by: dcufan | May 21, 2009 2:57 PM

I don't know - maybe because the mayor of the city keeps mentioning it?

I think it's still a longshot and complicated for United - but it's not 100% out of the question - maybe just 90%.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 21, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Watch out for BANANAs!

Build
Absolutely
Nothing
Anywhere
Near
Anything

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | May 21, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

God willing, Fenty will be a long-forgotten footnote when Discovery Park (nice) opens. Everything the man touches turns to poo, and there are enough reasons to despise him apart from the Stadium issue... We need a champion who is bigger than all the Barries, Fenties, and whoever the blindingly inept PGC council member was (say it with me: "clean bill... clean bill..." c'mon, you can do it!) - DC's a pretty small town, maybe some smartie will get in the ear of its most famous (P)resident?

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 21, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

By Steve Goff | May 21, 2009; 12:28 PM ET

Mr. Chang might want to take a look at Newcastle United and their owner, Fat Mike Ashley before he continues to be a "fans-first" owner. Whilst FMA was partying with the fans in the away end, the front office was busy (or not busy, depending how you look at it) building a squad that is threatened with relegation from the top league division on the planet. Not saying that will happen here, but DC United's darkest years coincided with Kevin Payne's movement within the AEG heirarchy, IIRC. If he leaves his position with the team, disaster is surely to follow.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | May 21, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

how does that idea not die the horrible death it so richly deserves?

Posted by: dcufan | May 21, 2009 2:57 PM

because it makes too much sense to do it there?

Posted by: joe_hill | May 21, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Lil help? Anybody care to explain why this makes sense?
Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 21, 2009 2:06 PM
==============

John Hendricks, owner of the Discovery networks, builder of the Maryland Soccerplex, owner of the Washington Freedom.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posted by: dcufan
=================

As long as you agree to buy out my share when Garber blocks the Gomez-for-Heather Mitts trade. Hey. MacFarlane had his motives, I have mine.

The plus side of this, for me, is that I will never again have to wonder whether it's McFarland, MacFarland, McFarlane, or MacFarlane.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 21, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

@I-270: So you wanna get pummeled by a backup quarterback, huh? Good luck with that. For all I know those two aren't still together anymore. I'm not down with the E-Hollywood stuff. :D

Posted by: yankiboy | May 21, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Overall this seems like it is a positive for getting a stadium in the current economy. When the economy picks back up, there may be more opportunity for a mixed use development. But in KC their stadium is part of a mixed use plan like Poplar Point was supposed to be. They may have their stadium pushed back a year or two because it's part of a mixed use project and they can't get any retailers to sign up to move in, which is hurting their ability to get financing for the construction.

Personally, I'd like to see a new stadium in DC. But the mix of DC politics and land rights issues with the Feds just seem unlikely to be overcome in any reasonable time frame. If they can't find something in close, I still think something out near Dulles Airport, maybe the original No Va baseball site; would be their best option long term. Metro will have a stop there by 2016. On a weekend night, the traffic won't be bad for those who want to drive. There likely would be room to build mixed use around the stadium later depending on the site. It's not an ideal central location, but it or something up the 270 corridor in Montgomery County is probably the likeliest chance for anything anytime soon.

Posted by: thrh1 | May 21, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I think I like how he sounds. That is All that I can say, for now.

Wasn't it McFarlane who was marching with DC in the streets not so long ago? I think we foudn out what he was marching for.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 21, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thrh1 | May 21, 2009 3:55 PM |

Clearly, you were not on the roads last night. My adventure crossing the bridge into Virginia, seeking a quick route to RFK was chronicled here last night. No doubt, some people might be able to get there easily, but....

@DCUFan -- if you're going to make such sweeping comments about the RFK site, you really need to explain why you think it would such an awful idea. Personally, I think it's the best possible location. What makes a stadium across the river in Anacostia so much better? Closer to you?

Posted by: fischy | May 21, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

a little late to the party but this is great news to me.

Posted by: mcontento | May 21, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

The comments by Chang are slightly positive, yet I hate to say this but... I'll believe it when I see it.

DC bent over backwards to provide a state of the art stadium for historically, the worst baseball team in the MLB, and that trend continues. Yet, a premier team in the top american soccer leagues gets deficated on by both DC and MD. The league commisioner saying that the team sticking in DC is in jeapordy makes me very salty.

If we lose United, I just dont know what I'll do.

Though, I do enjoy going to RFK and have found a relatively easy way to get to the stadium that cuts out most of the traffic, by avoiding 66 but for a moment to catch rt 1, I understand that the stadium is costing the team.

Its a sticky situation but I just dont want to loose my DC UNITED. :)

Posted by: dogboy | May 21, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

1. I'm not so quick to say "don't let the door hit 'ya on the way out Victor". It's true that his insistence on a multi-use development complicated things. But I have nothing against the owners of a business making a profit. Remember, part of what the original plan attractive was that it was MORE than just a stadium. That said, Chang seems like a standup guy and one more interested in owning a soccer team than owning a development of which a stadium is part of it.

2. I hope this development doesn't make the chances of a stadium worse. Think of it this way: Chang has "bought out" McFarlane. You'd think that makes Chang "cash poor" and thus more dependent on a locality to provide funding (or the market to turn around so someone will loan him a lot of money), either circumstance is not likely at present. I don't think McFarlane's departure means a quicker stadium. I do think it reduces the chances of the team moving in the short-term. My take is that McFarlane concluded a stadium isn't possible in the short-term, he couldn't sell the team to someone outside in the short term and didn't want to continue to lose money for the foreseeable future so he bailed.

3. Those who think that the obstacle to a stadium was the multi-use development, think again. When Payne was the CEO, before McFarlane and Chang, he looked into building a stadium in Northern Virginia. It wasn't multi-use, just a stadium, team office and some youth fields/practice facilities. They never reached the funding stage--could get approval from local community groups who fought the presence of a stadium due to noise, lights at night, traffic. That was about 8 years ago--things have only gotten worse.

Posted by: JoeW1 | May 21, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Half the people at the Nats game watch while and the other half smoke something delicious? Wha?

Posted by: dccal | May 21, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

thrh1:

Dulles?

Two words: Frisco, Texas.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 21, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

I am more optimistic about a stadium deal in DC or nearby than I have been in months. Chang's interview takes the asshat "ancillary development" off the table and means this is an owner who doesn't view the team as an real estate development vehicle first and foremost.

Posted by: griffin1108 | May 21, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Did VW pay for the construction of their arena in Germany, or was it publicly funded and VW just paid a naming rights fee?

Posted by: Juan-John | May 21, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

The multi-use development was the attractive part of the deal to the few politicians who supported the stadium plan. Taking that out certainly marks the price down for infrastructure improvements in DC, but will that be enough to get more politicians on board or to make it any easier? It can be an "out" for those who were afraid (for their political careers) to support the plan. But I'm just speculating.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 21, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

@Juan-John,

VW OWNS VfL Wolfsburg.

VW also, for I think the term of the shirt deal w/ United has the first option to be the namings right partner on United's stadium.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | May 21, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Regardless I don't (unfortunately) see DC, MD, VA dirty politician sucking up to build the stadium. If they can't agree to build multi purpose and how can they agree to build just the stadium? I hope I am completely wrong.
But wow what a news today. I am still digesting all these sudden breaking news.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 21, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

"Chang in Charg"

Posted by: notafembot | May 21, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Chang sounds like the real deal...if he's beating the drum with the Barra Brava and Screaming Eagles at gametime it proves his passion for the team and the game. DC politicians had their chance to build a stadium and develop a neighborhood. They missed the boat.

Posted by: juke2 | May 21, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Thanks I-270, I figured that's where Discovery came from, didn't realize he owned the other entities as well. That does make good sennse.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 21, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

How much of a footprint does a soccer only stadium need? Could the land along the RR tracks across from the Florida Ave Market (behind XM and the Fedex) handle it? On the red line, in DC and not used for anything else.

Posted by: LukasWP | May 21, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

@Lukas -- the problem with that location is it's not right off a highway. DCU would like to cater to the tailgaters, not just the Metro riders

Posted by: fischy | May 22, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Thanks fischy.

Isn't it close enough to the 395 underpass, and just off NY Ave to be easily car accessible?

There could easily be a small tailgate lot, but with that kind of location, and the planned streetcar infrastructure, it could be an ideal location. Heck, putting a deck over the tracks there could even be viable. The view from the north stands to the US Capitol would be the envy of Natsville.

Posted by: LukasWP | May 22, 2009 6:19 AM | Report abuse

All of a sudden this season does not feel like a going away party. Thank you Mr. Chang!

"Have Will, can Chang"

or

"The Will to Chang"

Posted by: regularfan | May 22, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

------------------------------------
Posted by: fischy
-----------------------------------
I think it would be awesome to build at the RFK location, it just is not going to happen without some major changes to how the Federal Gov't and the city manage and plan that site. Fenty has never mentioned it as an option, other than during an Olympics bid (which made sense, they would be allowed to do whatever they want to that site if they had gotten the Olympics), KP has said it's virtually impossible.
It just will not happen, that's my only beef with it being brought up continuously :-)

For closeness to me, I'd prefer it be built west of Dulles - sucks for the team probably, but great for my commute home from the game. The Greenway may go bankrupt without me riding it home after each game, but I guess enough other people would want to take it to get to games to make up for me.

Posted by: dcufan | May 22, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

If, by "Bread and butter" he means something like Columbus, as a fan, I'm not interested.

Posted by: roadkit | May 22, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

This might be useful in arguing for a soccer stadium in DC. DC has a great community outreach already.

Posted by: gallegoscot1 | May 22, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Bread and Butter could mean something like Colorado... which I really liked when I visited last year. The field is wide, there are benches in the corners, and the concessions were everything that you would need. I like the idea of a stadium that serves everyone... from the cheap seats to the corporate suite to the player on the field. I think Colorado does that. If only it were a little closer to the city.

Posted by: greifie | May 22, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Everyone has just the right answer! But the fact remains that we have no prospect for a stadium. All the high-tech outfits existing along the Dulles Toll Road corridor just waiting for someone to apply a little "come and get me" push. What is wrong with all the impotent federal, state and local politicians? Or for that matter, why should they not go after Mr. Trump! He apparently is interested in sports. There must be hundreds more in the area like him.

Loudoun/Fairfax/Dulles/Route 28 makes good sense to me.

Fellow fans, gnashing of teeth will only give us heart burn. But, please tell me, what have the Redskins, Wizzards, Capitals, Nationals got that creates such empathy and Unites receives such disdain. I do not get it. The one championship team in area deserves better.!

Posted by: crimsonmac | May 22, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, my fingers are so upset. United

Posted by: crimsonmac | May 22, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I said it in the past. Work with a local college to build a stadium and let them use it for their own soccer/football needs.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 23, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

OMG, Chris Brown has herpes! Even celebrity can get STDs, no wonder why more and more hot girls & guys are looking for dating and support on the largest STD dating site ---- STDslove. com -----

Posted by: stdsgirl | May 24, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse